This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-06-2006 12:11:48 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

[OOC] Ohtori RP: Does it work?

I've been a member of roselinedcoffin, the preeminent LiveJournal Utena community, for long enough to know that quite a few folks have tried to set up Utena role-playing free-for-alls.  In many cases the setup has been very creative; a takeoff set at Ohtori's sister campus in Amsterdam comes to mind.  Most of these folks are hands-on DMs who want to create some overarching plot with clear beginning and end points.  I've never participated, but in theory this seems like a really interesting idea.

Yet when I stumble across Utena RP communities, they tend to be dead, and I don't mean in the "just resting"/"stunned"/"pining for the sakura" way.  And I've never seen such an RP where it looked like the plot came to anything resembling a conclusion.  Sometimes virtually no one was signed up; other times there were plenty of participants, but no one had posted for months.  This seems like an awful pity.

Has there ever been an Ohtoriesque RP that reached its logical conclusion?  Do RPGs fundamentally have to be played in realtime to have a chance of achieving resolution -- or, in this case, revolution?  And if the games don't end, are they still fun?

Last edited by satyreyes (12-06-2006 12:13:00 AM)

#2 | Back to Top12-06-2006 06:24:53 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: [OOC] Ohtori RP: Does it work?

I've never been an online roleplay kind of person, I don't know why, it's just never been something I've seriously attempted to get into. Probably because I'm not someone who works well with others there, I'd try to take over the operation all-powerful villain style. emot-biggrin (Which I suppose doesn't entirely exclude me from being a potential player there, but still...)

I would theorize that the big problems with a thriving SKU RP are:

1. Spread out fanbase. No majority of SKU fans gathers in one place anymore. An RP on livejournal or IRC or wherever else is completely unknown to the majority of potential players. This here forum is the largest group of SKU fans that have gathered in one place in years, and I don't know that there's enough of us that RP to fuel such a thing.
2. Hard to lay down rules for dueling/character selection. Is everyone their own character or do we act as mouthpieces for the cast? Both? How do we duel and on what grounds is the winner chosen?
3. Differences in character. What makes SKU beautiful in an analysis makes it a miserable pain in the ass in an RP: no one can agree on how most of the characters should act or what you should let motivate them. Someone RPing Akio will (as the other thread is discussing) just reduce him to a foreboding manslut. Someone will want to be Shiori but end up acting like movie Shiori instead of series Shiori because they see her as a dangerous seductress bitch where someone else will get irritated at the not accounting for personal weakness.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top12-06-2006 07:39:32 AM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Well, I'm GMing an active Ohtori RP set in the sister school in Amsterdam, but I can definitely say that it's nothing at all like the show. For one thing, it's still in the early stages of the 'student council arc', so everyone's networking with their characters. We have had one dueling arena 'orientation' scene, one duel, and Akio has only stepped in a few times to push some things along. Also, the personalities of the characters are nothing like you'd see on Utena. For one thing, we don't have enough active angsters.

It's definitely strange trying to manage things, because people seem to have different views of Ohtori and how the school functions. I originally had some trouble explaining the roles of the student council among the students, because quite a lot of the players thought that the power they wielded was 'unfair'. Which it is, but y'know.

I was in two series-set SKU RPs before that, and one was extremely slow-moving with no sense of plot, and few people playing the characters believably or with depth, and the other exploded in a furious, psychedelic, churning mass of wank. Neither of those reached a conclusion.

Last edited by Ivy-chan (12-07-2006 04:41:41 AM)

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#4 | Back to Top12-06-2006 03:36:28 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

I think these tpyes of RPG's just naturally don't reach conclusions no matter what series people are RPG'ing - its just the nature of the beast for it to drag on forever and ever.

Nevertheless, I think they are fun - I'd definitely be up for the sister-school version of RP'ing SKU.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#5 | Back to Top12-06-2006 09:51:53 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I would love to set up a forum-based RP for SKU, but I don't have the time to run it currently. If anyone's interested, contact me-- I can furnish a setup and characters, but like I said, I can't quite run.

It's something I'd love to see here. I'm big into TTRP in real life.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#6 | Back to Top12-06-2006 10:52:30 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

I currently run an Utena RPG which is currently looking for new players to revamp the game and get it moving again.  I also play in another Utena rpg.  In my opinion, unless you have a mod who has a definitive plot with a beginning and an end, they tend to not have much as far as conclusions.  It becaomes more of a character development thing as well as character-driven plot.  I happen to enjoy character-driven plot myself.  They aren't for everyone, but those with patience that don't feel the need to post every couple days, they can be quite fun.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#7 | Back to Top12-07-2006 07:49:01 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

I came up with an outline for an Utena RPG that would be a mixed LJ/MUSH game a while ago.  (I'm not sure where the writeup went... somewhere in my LJ, I'm sure of it.)  Most of my Utena-based ideas have diverged markedly from the school setup because I think it would be interesting and challenging to set up similarly screwed-up dynamics elsewhere.  My two current favorite settings are a damaged orbital colony and an isolated adolescent psychiatric group home.  I chew on them periodically, but have never actually launched anything because of the vagaries of Real Life(TM).  I think it's entirely possible to create an overarching plot with a definite finish, though.

If anyone's looking for a good example of an LJ RPG that actually reached its intended conclusion without losing momentum or characters, I recommend the Harry Potter RPG Nocturne Alley (LJ user: nocturne_alley).    It is, of course, Harry Potter, but it had some quite decent players in there.   Alas, very little (if any) femslash.

#8 | Back to Top12-07-2006 07:53:32 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I've never run an Utena RPG, but I've run a few others and from personal experience these things are always character driven and even if you have a beginning middle and end you spend most of your time mentally struggling against what the people playing the characters want to do.

Oh an only semi related note, I've always been interested in what would happen in a MUD that was based on an Utena/Ohtori-like universe. A buddy of mine toyed with the idea back when we were really into making MUDs but the idea kind of died in the process. The character development there could be the hard part, though, since most people tend to focus on the other aspects.

/me shrugs. I'd participate if it happened, but running RPGs tend to be a bastard.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#9 | Back to Top12-08-2006 04:19:34 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I've never been in an RPG that has reached a logical conclusion, not even my own Ohtori AU one. The people bogged it down on me and eventually my mod and I had to call it quits. We were tired of the character drama.

I'm currently working on another AU Utena, but would love to be in/help out with one from here. I just prefer not to play series character games, because I never feel I am good enough to pull of some of the complexities in character that are so intrinsic to Utena.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#10 | Back to Top12-08-2006 06:54:40 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Lady Chani wrote:

I just prefer not to play series character games, because I never feel I am good enough to pull of some of the complexities in character that are so intrinsic to Utena.

That's what keeps me from getting involved in one, too. Even if I feel I have a good understanding of a character there's a lot open to interpretation.

Then again, the only written RP I was ever involved in had no plot in mind and was based on Final Fantasy VII. emot-redface

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#11 | Back to Top12-10-2006 03:52:43 PM

A Day Without Me

Y'know... I might be willing to manage an Utena RP, but only if I wasn't the only one managing it - co-managers if the way I think I'd like to go, 'cause it is a lot of work, after all. And I'd only want to do one if it was set at the sister school and didn't involve the characters from the series (well, except for Akio, 'cause I think we need him to be running the whole dueling game - but Anthy's free, so he has to go adopt a sibling or something).

I think an Utena RP would be a lot of fun, especially with the people of this forum emot-smile

#12 | Back to Top12-12-2006 05:26:39 PM

A Day Without Me

Aww, does this mean no one would be interested? emot-frown

#13 | Back to Top12-12-2006 05:29:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

I think if you built it, I would come, but I don't have a burning desire for it... I've done face-to-face RP my whole life, and I have trouble imagining that it could be the same online.

#14 | Back to Top12-12-2006 05:39:32 PM

A Day Without Me

satyreyes wrote:

A Day Without Me wrote:

I think if you built it, I would come, but I don't have a burning desire for it... I've done face-to-face RP my whole life, and I have trouble imagining that it could be the same online.

Yeah, its a bit different, but I think its less intense doing it online.

Anyway, I'm writing up the plans! I think an Utena RP with you guys would be a crapload of fun!

If you're interested, say 'aye'.

Last edited by A Day Without Me (12-12-2006 05:39:49 PM)

#15 | Back to Top12-12-2006 05:42:25 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I'm interested in the concept, I just don't know enough about these things in general to get involved.

#16 | Back to Top12-12-2006 05:51:17 PM

A Day Without Me

Mm... it'd be one person posts what their character is doing, then another one posts, and eventually characters interact and all that jazz. I'm not too sure how to explain it, sorry emot-frown

I'd make it at the sister school, so everyone would have to come up with a character to use - I trust you guys not to come up with Mary-Sues. We'd have a person to take on Utena's role, and the role of the Rose Bride, and then have a student council. I think Akio would have to stay put though, just have him transfer from Ohtori or something (might be interesting if he's finally married Kanae).

Does anyone know what Ohtori means in Japanese, by the way?

#17 | Back to Top12-12-2006 05:55:08 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Ohtori means Phoenix, I believe.

The part I don't get about these things is character interaction. Either that would require writing for someone else's character and vice versa which seems rife with trouble or I assume irc-ing it out in advance? (Back in the FFVII thing I was on, everything was action based and the rule was you could have someone else's character say a maximum of two lines.)

#18 | Back to Top12-12-2006 05:56:18 PM

A Day Without Me

No, you wouldn't get to say the other character's lines - you would have your character say something and then wait for the other person to post and have their character reply.

#19 | Back to Top12-12-2006 06:00:00 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

That potentially leaves people hanging, doesn't it?

But I don't know this stuff. If you say it works I'll believe you. emot-smile

#20 | Back to Top12-12-2006 06:08:27 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

Aye! That sounds interesting.

#21 | Back to Top12-12-2006 06:41:33 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I have a slight theory that all original-char RPs are basically Mary-Sues whether or not the players consciously notice it or not, but I try not to realise it so yeah that's alright.

And forum-based RPs have a tendancy to leave people hanging, ja, but it shouldn't be a big problem as long as everyone's diligent enough to keep up their end of the game. There are also ways to remedy it, but most of them involve IRC and/or setting a specific time when everyone comes on and does this thing and any people who aren't present are assumed to have went for a toilet break. This causes problems in itself though. ;x

#22 | Back to Top12-12-2006 06:54:30 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I've seen forum RP's before that worked... and then there was the ginormous vore furry/scaly one with the carnivorous genitalia. Here's hoping that if someone starts an RP thread here, we don't need kinky fetishes to keep it going.

As a potential player, my preference would be to have the series characters either a) assigned to players who play them as secondary characters when needed, b) gone entirely, or c) under the control of the GM or whatever whoever's running it wants to be called. I'd be too tempted to ignore roleplaying with others and just chat up whoever's playing Akio, Touga, or Saionji otherwise. Also... I have this burning desire for some sort of gaming system, like BESM, since dice rollers are easy to find and I can't imagine being able to do anything cool on just say-so alone.

As Ms. Hopefully-Impartial Forum Admin... do whatever you like guys, so long as you enjoy it and it doesn't get out of hand or turn into drama. emot-wink I think it's a great idea, and a lot of people had mentioned it when we were first starting up the forums.

Unfortunately, I'm on hiatus until Friday at least, and I shouldn't even be posting right now, so don't expect more feedback or any sort of commitment to it before then.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#23 | Back to Top12-12-2006 07:03:01 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Hinotori wrote:

I have a slight theory that all original-char RPs are basically Mary-Sues whether or not the players consciously notice it or not, but I try not to realise it so yeah that's alright.

They are only Mary-Sues or Marty-Stus if the original-character in question is a little (or way as the case may be) too perfect for their own good and they alsos seek to steal the spotlight, otherwise they might be worthwhile extras.

#24 | Back to Top12-12-2006 07:13:24 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Yasha wrote:

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS

But-but-but... Can we start the furry unbirthing RP anyway? It seems like super fun!

Ahem. Other characters. Akio's the only one we would really need to have kicking around in any sense, and he's a perfect candidate for GMplay anyway so I don't think it'll be a big deal.

And since someone else volunteered and I just realised I have a lot less on my plate than I thought I did (other than these freaking weekly taxonomy tests my Prof. insists on giving) I'd be willing to co-GM. I'd even leave my kinky fetishes out of it! maybe

#25 | Back to Top12-12-2006 07:14:40 PM

A Day Without Me

Hinotori wrote:

I'm not sure I agree exactly - I once was in an RP with a person who's character was a MAJOR Mary-Sue, and other than that character, everyone else seemed more or less not-Mary-Sue-ish.

I'm going to dispense with series characters completely, but probably ask that we retain Akio, given the whole Dios backstory - unless Akio has a cousin or twin, perhaps? It just makes sense to keep him since he is Ends of the World, after all.

Yasha wrote:

I'd be too tempted to ignore roleplaying with others and just chat up whoever's playing Akio, Touga, or Saionji otherwise. Also... I have this burning desire for some sort of gaming system, like BESM, since dice rollers are easy to find and I can't imagine being able to do anything cool on just say-so alone.

Well, you could always play a character that would be likely to be hanging around Akio all the time emot-keke

As for leaving people hanging, it seems that the core forum participaters here tend to be on the board about once a day - if we have about the same group participating in the RPG then I don't think we'd run into that too often.

Last edited by A Day Without Me (12-12-2006 07:17:39 PM)

Board footer