This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-16-2008 01:45:35 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

What's the point of it, really?

I haven't seen a thread dealing with this specific topic, so I thought I'd make one. Keep in mind I haven't watched any episodes beyond the Seitokai arc but I know about the plot details through the script and picking up spoilers. It's very possibly I've missed something, in either the show or an analysis on this site.

Anyway, my question is, Why?

Why do Akio and Anthy go through the whole deal with the End of the World and the duelists? They don't need power or magic or... anything, really. Anthy does whatever Akio wants because she feels guilty about locking Dios away, but why does Akio play this game? Is it all for the lulz, so to speak? Is he just messing with the Student Council and Utena to pass time, as a sort of hobby? What's in it for him? Why a school with young students and not a different institution where he can have more of an influence, like politics? Why an isolated school that will have no impact on anything but a few students?

Has the same thing happened before, either with Utena or with a different wannabe prince? Why would Akio risk Anthy being freed from the Castle? What are his motives, and what are Anthy's? Who does Anthy want? She manipulated events during the duels with Miki and Juri, and these are only two that I know of. She also manipulated Miki and Juri into dueling Utena. Does she want to stay with Utena, since she treats her the best and doesn't want the power of revolution for herself?

I understand the motives of the student council, but I'm finding it really difficult to get why Akio is doing all this with the letters and the duels. And did Anthy's leaving really change anything except her own situation? Did Utena really matter at all or achieve anything? (I like to think that after Anthy left, the other characters' lives were at least a little less messed up and they can start to heal from their individual problems).

Maybe someone can help clear things up for me?

Last edited by Like_Autumn (08-16-2008 01:55:30 PM)

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#2 | Back to Top08-16-2008 01:54:39 PM

redrice009
Banned

Re: What's the point of it, really?

I think, in the end, Utena gave up her prince in order to free Anthy, and in a way Utena did stop the End of the World by freeing her.  And the Shining Together I think was when Anthy could free herself fully (forgiving, loving, and accepting herself) Utena would be there waiting for her, without the binds of Ohtori...  That's the best I can describe it.

#3 | Back to Top08-16-2008 02:18:31 PM

dabouse1
Touga Topper

Sorry in advance if I spoil something. emot-biggrin

At the end of the series, we find out that Akio himself cannot open the door to/of "Revolution" without a proper sword, or a chosen sword.  He tried using Utena's sword, the one which comes from her chest, but it didn't work.  Only Utena herself managed to open the door because she wanted to help Anthy, something which caused Akio to be greatly upset.  If I do recall correctly, he warned something like, "Don't you know what will happen if you open that door!?"

I assumed he planned everything to open that door.  But what I don't understand is why he would be so upset when Utena tried to open it.  Does a different thing pop up for different people if they manage to open it?  I think Akio wanted the power of revolution for his own gain, and to continue playing his "game," but on a much larger scale -- say, with more people, deeper feelings, possibly take over the world? school-devil  But he wanted this so he could, as Anthy said, to stay in his coffin and "play the prince."  I assume he wanted to feel a darker, more sinful variation of what he felt when he was Dios -- manipulate others so as to drag them down, yet be the only one that could save them (or at least make them believe such).

As for Anthy, I think everyone's got a reason as to why she did what she did based on their interpretation on her.  But her leaving hurt Akio, or at least Akio's plans, very much.  To me, she was almost or just as subtly manipulative as Akio.  They were partners in crime, and their plans depended on one another's cooperation.  Sure, maybe Kanae or someone else could be replaced as the Rose Bride, but who could replace someone like Anthy?  Thus, Akio's goals, whatever they are, go to ruin.  Thus he goes to ruin. (Akio: "Oh noes! What to do with me life?")

But that's just my guess. emot-smile

#4 | Back to Top08-16-2008 03:04:35 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

dabouse1 wrote:

Does a different thing pop up for different people if they manage to open it?

Mirror of Erised much? emot-tongue This would make sense though and I like it!

My post is spoiler heavy as well, and probably unclear for you who has not finished the series (you could see it on TV-Links if you really wanted to).

I think Akio's specific point of interest is unclear. Whatever was behind those doors for him was something he could not get alone and something he desperately wanted/needed. Utena's ruining his plans is proof that he was not yet infallible, so there's still power to be sought after and won for him. For all a little free will might be amusing in his pawns, I'm sure he'd give it up for knowing he was absolutely in charge. So my belief is he just wants to be God and has no way of achieving this goal other than making the duels, finding "the one who will bring revolution," and so on. For whatever reason, only someone else can attain "eternity."

Anthy, I'm inclined to believe, would just do anything for her brother. Based on what at least symbolized her sacrificing herself for her brother (holding up Dios' sword, getting stabbed a million times, etc.) I really doubt she had anything to gain from Akio's success except knowing he was happy as she herself, seemingly, would never be. Poor girl can't be a princess, feels swords of hatred in her organs constantly... There's not much 'could happen to out-happy that pain. Except Utena becoming her prince (or whatever she did) and freeing her from the coffin and whatnot. This might have made Anthy ecstatic and sort of overshadowed going back to the old ways for Akio's sake.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#5 | Back to Top08-16-2008 04:03:53 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Actually, it seems to me that the whole thing is wankery on the part of Akio. I don't think he WANTS to bring the world revolution, or for anyone else to either. He just wants to want that. So he goes through this whole big farce, over and over again, to convince himself, and Anthy, that he's trying to save her. But he's settled into the game now.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#6 | Back to Top08-16-2008 04:48:12 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

NajiMinkin wrote:

dabouse1 wrote:

Does a different thing pop up for different people if they manage to open it?

Mirror of Erised much? emot-tongue This would make sense though and I like it!

My post is spoiler heavy as well, and probably unclear for you who has not finished the series (you could see it on TV-Links if you really wanted to).

Thanks, I thought that website was down, but now I'll definitely have to watch more if the videos worked. I was going to have to order the videos from Amazon otherwise, and I'm low on cash right now (not to mention the Akio arc is nonexistent).

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#7 | Back to Top08-16-2008 04:50:57 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

The warning is a bit obvious, but still spoilers ahead, as well as opinions.

The impression I got was that as Dios underwent his transition into Akio, he lost something.  Some part of his power, the power to bring Revolution,  was sealed away as his scarred soul plummeted into the depths of depravity.  Maybe it was something that pure-hearted Dios had never really wanted or even realized he had (much as Utena doesn't), but the selfish Akio craved it desperately, either because *he* wouldn't hesitate to use (and abuse) it, or simply because he felt it was his due.  Still, with his spirit as horribly stained as it is, there's no real chance of him ever claiming it for himself.

The whole point of the duels is looking for that one perfect person.  Someone strong and pure enough to open the door, to bring the power of Revolution to light, but at the same time, with enough faith in him to return it to him.  He believes that by taking the sword from the heart of such a champion, he can open the door and reclaim what he feels is his.

All of this, of course, shows a complete and utter inability to grasp what Revolution really is.  Revolution is the power to change things that seem unchangeable.  To stop the unstoppable, to save the utterly damned, to break down indestructible walls, to bring light to the abyss and to redefine the world.  Akio assumes there's something horrible behind the door, because if he had ever opened it, that's probably what he would have found.  Something that would have further his ability to twist, manipulate and defile those around him as his whim dictated.  But it would never happen.  He was looking to others to bring the power of Revolution, leaving him incapable of holding it himself.  Utena doesn't have the power of Revolution because she opened the door, she opened the door because she has the power of Revolution.  The sword he wrests from her is completely irrelevant.  Utena won with Juri's sword, she won with her own sword, she won with a freaking practice sword.  She would have found a way to win if she'd shown up to a duel naked with one hand tied behind her back and no sword at all.  Now, if she had given her true power over to him, entrusted him to be the one to save Anthy and given up her own quest to do so, it would have shown her unworthy, and the door would have stayed sealed.  No true revolutionary sits back and waits for someone else to do the hard part.

But in the end, she is able to put away the childhood fantasy, walk away from the false Prince, both the one in Akio, and the one she's been looking for in herself, and give herself over to accomplishing her true goals, whatever the cost.

#8 | Back to Top08-16-2008 05:09:26 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Paradox wrote:

The whole point of the duels is looking for that one perfect person.  Someone strong and pure enough to open the door, to bring the power of Revolution to light, but at the same time, with enough faith in him to return it to him.  He believes that by taking the sword from the heart of such a champion, he can open the door and reclaim what he feels is his.

Stormcrow wrote:

Actually, it seems to me that the whole thing is wankery on the part of Akio. I don't think he WANTS to bring the world revolution, or for anyone else to either. He just wants to want that. So he goes through this whole big farce, over and over again, to convince himself, and Anthy, that he's trying to save her. But he's settled into the game now.

I think these two points of view are closest.  My take on why Akio does what he does has evolved into basically the same as Gio's, and it goes like this.

After being stolen from the world by Anthy, Dios lost his nobility and became the debased Akio.  For Akio, the power to bring the world revolution means the restoration of that lost nobility.  Anthy is willing to serve him slavishly as long as she believes -- or at least can pretend -- that Akio is trying to reclaim his nobility.  Now, Akio has no genuine interest in becoming Dios again, but he has to pretend he does so that Anthy will stay with him.  So he sets up the absurd dueling system as an elaborate charade to make it look like he's trying to redeem himself.  He isn't, mind you, and Anthy isn't really fooled, but she lets herself pretend he's being sincere because she wants to believe it so much and because she doesn't know any other way to live.  As for Akio, he's not at all worried that he might actually succeed, because he thinks the idea that a real prince exists in the world is ridiculous.

#9 | Back to Top08-16-2008 06:32:27 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

After being stolen from the world by Anthy, Dios lost his nobility and became the debased Akio.

It's been a while since I've seen the critical episodes here, but I've always attributed Dios' fall less to Anthy's actions than the people's violent reaction to what Anthy had done.  It was seeing her brutally attacked at the hands of the very people he had tried so hard to help that broke the noble spirit of Dios.  After seeing the world's horrific capacity for senseless cruelty, his fall begins from the noble but innocent Dios to the cynical and depraved Akio.

#10 | Back to Top08-16-2008 07:23:17 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Paradox wrote:

After being stolen from the world by Anthy, Dios lost his nobility and became the debased Akio.

It's been a while since I've seen the critical episodes here, but I've always attributed Dios' fall less to Anthy's actions than the people's violent reaction to what Anthy had done.  It was seeing her brutally attacked at the hands of the very people he had tried so hard to help that broke the noble spirit of Dios.  After seeing the world's horrific capacity for senseless cruelty, his fall begins from the noble but innocent Dios to the cynical and depraved Akio.

We don't have a lot of evidence either way on this one.  I meant "after" in the chronological sense rather than the cause-and-effect sense.

#11 | Back to Top08-16-2008 08:09:45 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Some people give a big groan when I mention this but the first manga is also a good source of clues. I'm not disagreeing with what anyone else has said so far but it strongly hints that Akio wants to kill what is left of Dios, probably, in effect,  trying to kill his conscience. He is also in love with Utena (or thinks he is) and is willing to destroy  Anthy to get her.  (Anthy goes along because she loves them both and decides that is what will make them both happy.) Dios was attracted to Utena's goodness and courage and Akio does not realize that an Utena who could ever allow herself to become World's End would not be an Utena he could be happy with. He seems to want them to be eternal rulers of an eternal night sky (evening and morning stars) without ever having to give way to sunrise.

#12 | Back to Top08-16-2008 10:50:41 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

And let's not forget, ladies and gents, that manipulating misguided youths and fucking a fair lot of them is a very well enjoyed passtime of Akio's.

#13 | Back to Top08-17-2008 12:34:12 PM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

Boy am I alone with my views. I'm gonna be an advocate for Akio here and confess that I always believed he really wanted to free Anthy. He just couldn't because his soul sword was a) not strong enough being tainted as he is or b) inside his sister, who is inside an unopenable coffin. So he made up the duels in order to find someone with a soul noble enough zo have a sword strong enough to open it. I'm probably gonna get lot's of flames for this, but mind you, I don't really see any other option for him. I mean, is he supposed to leave her there? The bad stuff he does is just making the very best he can out of the situation. And I mean very best. I've seen no indication in the show that he would love doing this forever(call me a dolt, I expect it), and I don't see Anthy as someone who,
in a scenario whitout Utena, would leave Akio's side just like that if there was no duelling game. I actually think they feel for eachother.

By the way, I would have a question myself that I would like to ask:(keep in mind that I'm gonna use the word "coffin" in a literal sence)

Do you guys believe that Anthy got out of the coffin? Cause' to me, it seemed like eventually, she never got out.

Yes, I'm an idiot.

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#14 | Back to Top08-17-2008 02:43:39 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Actually it is a fair description of how Akio sees himself.

#15 | Back to Top08-18-2008 03:11:00 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

Code:

[i]brian burned me with:[/i]

Thank you. Always great to post here to make myself feel like an idiot.

#16 | Back to Top08-18-2008 04:18:34 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

P.D.M. wrote:

Code:

[i]brian burned me with:[/i]

Thank you. Always great to post here to make myself feel like an idiot.

Aw, no, I wouldn't say that. I mean, what you said makes me tilt my head sideways so I can see what you mean. It's not how I'd naturally look at it myself, but it does bring up questions about Akio's sincerity and "earnesty," which is something he mocks Utena for having -- and himself, for once having. I think Akio is, one way or the other, searching for that other half of himself that he has "lost." Why does he want it? Is it so he can "defeat himself up until now"? Because that's also a running theme in the series: not only does one have to be able to see clearly what one is, one then has to turn around and defeat it. Or so they say. Accepting yourself for who you are seems to be the more constructive way of going about it, which is where Anthy's revolution comes into play. She's not the princess, she's the prince's sister, but that doesn't make her a witch. It makes her Anthy. And defining herself by herself and not anybody else is what allows her to walk out of Ohtori and find Utena on her own terms.

With that said, I think there's something to be said for Akio feeling pain at his sister's predicament. He's a bastard, but not entirely a selfish one. He knows she is there because she wanted to be, and he kids himself that it was her choice all along. But I think he understands quite well that he could have stopped her -- or at least tried. I think it's entirely possible that Akio justifies a lot of his actions by saying it's what Anthy wanted, i.e. their sexual relationship could never have existed if they were just brother and sister in the idyllic childhood garden. She wanted to be a princess he could save, not the sister he could not. And in Ohtori, he is the Prince and she is the Princess...but it didn't work out right. He still can't save her. And I think it would be unfair to Akio to say that he doesn't want to save her, one way or another. The irony of this all being, of course, that not even Utena (the light to Akio's dark) could save Anthy. No, the only one who could do that was Anthy herself.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#17 | Back to Top08-18-2008 11:50:27 AM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Clarice put it well. For my part absolutely no put-down was intended. Akio is a demon who is trying to forget that he was once an angel and he cannot completely shake off his old ideals.

#18 | Back to Top08-19-2008 05:00:57 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

It's a good question...

There seem to be a couple of genres of thought:

(1) The duels and revolution are all a big facade.  Either just an amusement for Akio and/or something he does to string Anthy along.
(2) Take the series at face value--Akio wants to reclaim some power he used to have as Dios without becoming Dios again.
(3) Akio wants to become a Prince again... To genuinely save Anthy or become Dios again.

There are a lot of weird things about Akio's "plan" that support the first interpretation.  The second is the least conspiracy-theory-esque.  The third is interesting--and is a take on Akio I had previously given very little thought.  I lean toward the 2nd interpretation, but I don't really discount the first or the third.

The things that most make me wonder about Akio's expressed desire to open the rose gates...  He doesn't seem too pleased about the appearance of Utena's heart sword at first.  Now, we see other heart swords in Black Rose, so that could serve as an indication that the duels were leading there and Akio may have been unhappy for some other reason that's not entirely evident to me.  But, ultimately, using a sword to open a gate makes absolutely no sense.  I mean, seems like he'd need a key or a battering ram.  I'm not exactly an expert, but I haven't heard of any cultures in which the sword was a popular choice for bringing down gates during a seige.  Most of the keys I've seen in my life haven't been quite sharp or straight, either.  He also seems to taunt Anthy with his intentions: "Maybe if I were trying to be a Prince like in the old days" and "The Rose Bride still belongs to me, next time..." and "I'll need your help to restart the rules of the rose signet..."  Then, when Utena opens the gates and begins to open Anthy's coffin, he panics--what would HE have done when he opened the door and Anthy's coffin was there?  (And would it have been there...is a good question.  I'm iffy :-)  It's magic, after all.)

However, if there were any possibility that Akio could regain a magical power he had as Dios without having to be Dios, I'm sure he'd be happy to have it.  Would he be obsessed with it to the degree he seems to be, though?  That obsession, to the degree it's genuine, is surely born from suppressed guilt.  On the flip side of the guilt is the resentment he sometimes manifests for Anthy and her pain--a defense.

It's easy to have conflicting feelings about oneself.  I'd like to give Akio credit for at least that much humanity.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (08-19-2008 05:05:30 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#19 | Back to Top08-19-2008 05:52:43 PM

redrice009
Banned

Does nobody but me see Akio as the bad guy?

#20 | Back to Top08-19-2008 06:04:18 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

He's most certainly a bad guy.  Token villain of the series.  He uses and manipulates people.  He lets his sister suffer unnecessarily for his own personal gain.  He rejects the very ideals I personally find most attractive in favor of a cynical, materialistic philosophy.  Doesn't mean there's not a reason for it, or that he doesn't have occasional suppressed doubts.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#21 | Back to Top08-20-2008 10:06:18 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

rhyaniwyn said:
He lets his sister suffer unnecessarily for his own personal gain.

Now wait a minute(how could it have come to this...), that is not true.
It's exactly Akio's greatest tragedy that he can't do anything about Anthy's suffering.
The duels are the most he can do. Which kinda sucks when you think about it.

#22 | Back to Top08-20-2008 10:34:45 AM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

P.D.M. wrote:

rhyaniwyn said:

It's exactly Akio's greatest tragedy that he can't do anything about Anthy's suffering.

It's the "personal gain" part there. He might not be able to do anything about it, but for him to profit off of her pain and suffering? Definite bad guy material.

"We want beans, not goals." - Anon.

#23 | Back to Top08-20-2008 11:44:24 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

In the end I see Akio as a kind of sad creature (sorry Gio), for the reason PDM points out. He's kind of pathetic. The only noble thing he has any interest in is "saving" his sister, but for whatever reason, he's clearly incapable of doing that. So he kind of picks at the situation the way you pick at a healing scab. It just makes it worse, but you can't just leave the damn thing alone and let it work itself out. But I still think he's a bit of a monster too, and actually more than a bit, because he wallows in his petty power and control of people. I really can't see any kind of justification for the way he treats Utena, to say nothing of how he treats Anthy, Kanae (!), Kanae's mom (wtf?), etc.

Heck, just look at that creepy scary jealous look he shoots at Anthy when he sees how happy she is with Utena. This is not a nice person.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#24 | Back to Top08-20-2008 07:08:43 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

P.D.M. wrote:

rhyaniwyn said:

I believe you've hit on the exact point of Akio's character. He has changed, the world around him has changed -- but in the end, he hasn't changed with it at all. He seems to believe the greatest power is that which he had as Dios, and even though on the surface it looks like he's changed into this sex-charged manipulative long-legged older gentleman, at heart he still believes in miracles. He just doesn't believe they come true. Yet he won't accept it, otherwise why would he be chasing after the upside-down castle? Akio's screwed, basically, and it's because despite his behaviour he's not going forward. He's going around in circles. Which is, as Stormy puts it, ultimately quite pathetic and sad. He has considerable power, but it's illusionary and he can't seem to cope without that illusion.

Last edited by Clarice (08-20-2008 07:09:31 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#25 | Back to Top08-21-2008 04:11:52 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

Clarice wrote:
I believe you've hit on the exact point of Akio's character. He has changed, the world around him has changed -- but in the end, he hasn't changed with it at all. He seems to believe the greatest power is that which he had as Dios, and even though on the surface it looks like he's changed into this sex-charged manipulative long-legged older gentleman, at heart he still believes in miracles. He just doesn't believe they come true. Yet he won't accept it, otherwise why would he be chasing after the upside-down castle? Akio's screwed, basically, and it's because despite his behaviour he's not going forward. He's going around in circles. Which is, as Stormy puts it, ultimately quite pathetic and sad. He has considerable power, but it's illusionary and he can't seem to cope without that illusion.

Now, let me think about this. What makes him think like that is his sister being trapped in a coffin. And because he thinks like that, he can't save his sister. And since he can't save his sister, he thinks like that more and more.

*Asks a question like a moron who still does not get it:*
Goddamn, the more I look at it, the more it seems that he is screwed because of circumstances. You guys think that if he were to move forward, he could save Anthy?

Board footer