This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#126 | Back to Top12-02-2013 01:04:31 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

Cool, descry!  Thanks for the heads-up (and welcome to IRG!)  I like that it's unpainted.  The manga fans who are attached to blonde Utena in a pink uniform can make it so!

#127 | Back to Top12-02-2013 01:50:32 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

HOMINA, HOMINA, HOMINA!

#128 | Back to Top12-02-2013 04:47:02 PM

descry77
Miki Molester

satyreyes wrote:

Cool, descry!  Thanks for the heads-up (and welcome to IRG!)  I like that it's unpainted.  The manga fans who are attached to blonde Utena in a pink uniform can make it so!

Thanks satyreyes. It's at a prototype stage now, to see if there's any (good and bad) feedback. It will be fully painted in its anime colour palette. I guess, if you're really hardcore, you can buy a second one, strip off the paint, and make your own version of Utena. Regardless, I'm going to put in a pre-order for this the moment it becomes available, and I hope Rose-Bride Anthy is in the works to accompany this figure. One can dream …

#129 | Back to Top12-02-2013 10:01:33 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

descry77 wrote:

http://s11.postimg.org/8ahjrbujz/Ba_See54_CIAE38v_A_noscale.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/iw1f3c0vj/Ba_TBg_ECCIAAvh_Z_noscale.jpg

Damn...the painted version will be a must-buy for sure.

http://www.2pm-works.com/special/feature_utena/spcase1-1.jpg

I have never wanted an iPhone...until now.

Last edited by Aelanie (12-02-2013 10:03:54 PM)

#130 | Back to Top12-03-2013 01:28:49 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'm really liking the Utena prototype! Can't wait to see what it looks like painted!

....and you know, I really do hope someone does a repaint, because that would be fabulous!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#131 | Back to Top12-07-2013 09:10:44 PM

Rina_Cat
Wakaba Wrangler

I'm going to Tokyo in a few weeks for short trip... Seeing all the new merch you guys are posting is making me very excited. I hope I can find it. I'll be checking out the Animate for sure.

I couldn't afford much Utena merch back in the day... All I have is the watch and a book of character sketches (white cover). The rings never fit hahah so I cosplayed Anthy since she doesn't wear one.

If anyone has any suggestions for places to check for books and merch besides animate please let me know. I've never been to Japan before... I'm going with some hardcore Lolita friends who are going to clean out all the clothing sales at new year's, rather than anime goods. Staying in Shinjuku if that helps any.

#132 | Back to Top12-07-2013 10:30:10 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Oh man, I really want that blue SKU iPhone case. Alas, I have a Galaxy 3. emot-frown WHY ARE ALL THE COOL CASES FOR THE IPHONE?!

Dat figurine...*drool* I'm glad it's going to be painted. I was seriously considering learning to paint figurines just for this occasion. Although I probably wouldn't be that bad at it...

Hat Mafia Member

#133 | Back to Top12-08-2013 06:41:52 AM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

Rina_Cat wrote:

If anyone has any suggestions for places to check for books and merch besides animate please let me know. I've never been to Japan before... I'm going with some hardcore Lolita friends who are going to clean out all the clothing sales at new year's, rather than anime goods. Staying in Shinjuku if that helps any.

Hey, congrats on your Japan trip!  I live pretty close to Shinjuku, and the Shinjuku Animate is where I took the pictures I posted previously - there's some good Utena and Penguindrum stuff there. Akihabara is a bit away, but an easy and cheap ride on the JR Yamanote line from Shinjuku, and that's the famous Otaku mecca - though you may have to search some back roads and go into lots of stores to find things you like. If you like BL, reverse harem games, or anything else that's considered "women-only", try Otome Road, a block of stores in Ikebukuro right out the back exit of Sunshine City (great place to visit for Penguindrum fans). If your friends are into fashion, try to get them to go to Shibuya as well as Harajuku - while Harajuku has more Gothic Lolita stuff, Shibuya has more anime stores next to the clothing shops. If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. emot-smile

#134 | Back to Top12-12-2013 05:14:07 AM

Rina_Cat
Wakaba Wrangler

Hey thanks so much.

We are working on an "attack plan" for shopping... LoL.

#135 | Back to Top12-12-2013 04:06:21 PM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

I didn't take pictures (sorry!) but I went to Akihabara the other day, and the Animate there, while not currently carrying the glass set and a couple other things I saw in Shinjuku, does have the Rose Tea and the booklet thing (which I'm still not sure of the contents? I read the kanji, but what the heck is in there? Blank pages or info?) as well as some Penguindrum stuff the Shinjuku Animate doesn't have. We also found some old Sailor Moon & etc. shitajiki hidden in the card and figure floor of Mandarake, so look out for that if you're a fan! They were pretty reasonable.  And of course, lots and lots of Free and Attack on Titan everywhere. For Utena, though, I think your best bet is still to just hit up all the Animates until you find everything you want. It's hard to find old anime stuff in Japan unless it was wildly popular.

ETA: I'm so sorry for anyone in Japan/myself that I didn't notice this till now, but 2PM Works has a popup store open in Ikebukuro until tomorrow at 6pm! http://www.2pm-works.com/special/parcox2pmworks/ They're specifically advertising the Utena merch on the flier I have.

Last edited by Pratyeka (12-14-2013 06:28:13 AM)

#136 | Back to Top12-19-2013 09:41:50 AM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

There's going to be a new SKU tribute book available at the Winter Comiket, collecting selected works from the recent Original Artwork Exhibition Illustration Contest on pixiv. It'll also have a pretty new cover drawn by Lily Hoshino, best known to us as Penguindrum's character designer.

Check it out here.

#137 | Back to Top12-19-2013 02:49:59 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

2 Chiho Saito Prize Winners
・Works displayed as a high quality print at the Revolutionary Girl Utena Original Artwork FINAL Exhibition
・A high quality print, signed by manga artist Chiho Saito.

Love to you by hato
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/747cc4e92be732be1e3397148f55ed671379692096_full.jpg

I think Saito having to sign off on that after all her obstructionism of Utena/Anthy as lovers is as delicious and ironic a punishment as anyone could ask for.

Last edited by Aelanie (12-19-2013 02:50:32 PM)

#138 | Back to Top12-19-2013 06:08:49 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Please don't spoil it for others, Aelanie. Just enjoy the pretty.

#139 | Back to Top12-19-2013 09:41:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh snap. Is this something that'll only sell at the show, does anyone know? Can it be purchased online directly from Pixiv? Because I will buy it. It gets to count as official artwork if it's officially sanctioned. emot-keke

I'm just hoping to dodge having to try and find it second hand on god damn Yahoo Japan.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#140 | Back to Top12-19-2013 10:13:15 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

So many gorgeous pieces...I wonder if we can buy it emot-dance

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#141 | Back to Top12-19-2013 11:53:44 PM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

I have no idea how fast something like a Pixiv book sells out at comiket, but I'm free during that time and I live sort-of in the area, so I might try to go. Could be fun either way.  Thanks so much for the links emot-biggrin

#142 | Back to Top12-20-2013 06:59:11 AM

Rina_Cat
Wakaba Wrangler

Omg! I will actually be there for that! Yay!

#143 | Back to Top12-20-2013 04:59:44 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

:cough:

So who wants to buy one of these on my behalf? emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#144 | Back to Top12-24-2013 12:12:20 AM

jmie5
Precious One

Sorry for the late update, y'all, just trust me when I say we all know that life can be exceedingly difficult. 

So!  We last left off that I had purchased this version/reproduction of Juri's locket, as offered by Animate.  My cost, including shipping to the mid-Atlantic US was just shy of $45.  Images are below.  I think anyone interested could find their own images from the show or manga for comparison with this product, so I'll spare you that.  emot-smile

I'm sure folks just wanted a couple images that weren't stock, not a review, but I can't help myself. 

Here is the package: 
It's not a fancy display box, folks.  It's kind of like when you buy a box of greeting cards.  As you can see in the first photo (upper left-hand corner,) it comes shrink-wrapped. The black portion of the box is cardboard.  The covering is brittle plastic, embossed with gold lettering.  The locket is covered by a plastic bag and secured by elastic straps punched through the light cardboard backboard (which I've tried to press in with my thumb for the picture on the bottom left-hand.  (Me, I liked this.  If it was a show-box, such as something made from sturdy plastic or would, I would have just broke into it like a kid rooting for a prize in suspiciously well put-together cereal box.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Jmie5/Juri%20Locket/openingbox_zps51587b85.png

The image card of Juri:
It's a nice picture on just a glossy piece of paper, a little thicker than a magazine page.  The back of the photo is white.  The photo fits into the thin, black cardboard backing by slots cut near its four corners.  Not a collector's item (ymmv on definition of this) but it's a pretty picture for my scrap book.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Jmie5/Juri%20Locket/juricard_zps98dbc736.png

The locket, itself:
This thing has some weight.  When I first got it free from its bindings, I accidentally dropped it to the hardwood floor, and it landed with a hard metal clink/clunk.  It's gold-painted metal (there's no materials description (the sticker on the back of the box is in Japanese with just a standard warning in English that the package contains parts too small for children.)   

Dimensions:
- If you hold the rose/oval vertically, from end to eyelet, it's approximately 2 inches long.
- If you lie the locket on its smooth, flat backing, there's levels: like from the shallowest part of the bud from the backing to how high the petals protrude, at its highest point, this ranges from ½ centimeter - ½ inch from thinnest to thickest.
- The chain is 18 inches long and thick.  While wearing the piece, it reminded me of the song "Marley and Marley" from A Muppet Christmas Carol. emot-biggrin  I've said before that this forum has folks that have enough energy to write well-thought-out/comprehensive theses on the series, but this locket has me thinking about Juri, as in how large her jewel is, how its weight can be like a proverbial stone around the neck.  And with how thick that chain is, what force was needed to break the sucker in a duel.  I'd say she's better off, but Juri was never my strong-point, and this is just supposed to be for photos. 
- There is a photo of Shiori inside.  It's a low-gloss sticker, not going anywhere.
- The dome of the upper half of the locket is pretty deep, also approximately ½ centimeter.  (I'm currently using the locket to store medication, as I don't wear it - long story.  But if you want to put something in there, you'd have the room!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Jmie5/Juri%20Locket/comparison_zps1957ced7.png

The one obligatory model shot:
Ladies and gentlemen, if you get this piece and intend to rock it for non-cosplay, I'd like to know your idea of a flattering neckline.  I'd wear it to work, but its size means "statement piece," and the weight is a bit too much when you need to negotiate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Jmie5/Juri%20Locket/evillocket_zps1a480d6a.png

Overall verdict:  This is going to come down to your personal opinion and/or preference.  It's Juri's locket all right.  It's gold in color, as large as you see in the picture of her holding it, which comes on the package, it comes with a picture of Shiori that can never be lost (or replaced, since it's a sticker, there's nothing to hold a picture in, unless you tape it, which would be fine,) and it opens the right way, from bottom to top.  If you buy this locket, the way to open it is to pry at the seam at the very bottom of the oval, anywhere else and you'll crack a nail. 

After lamenting the sell-out and not having $300 for the Signet Fanbase's rendition and scouring Etsy, I'm pleased with what I have. emot-smile  But would I love this in a more petite version, something I could wear more so every day, even if it's not as true to form (though I'm not entirely sure how large Juri's locket is supposed to be)?   Yep, just would make me more comfortable.  But this version is great for visibility in cosplay and, if you want that statement piece, you got it.

And, if all else fails, I could probably use this thing for protection while walking to my car at night.  It's solid/sturdy enough to go Gogo Yubari on someone.  Satisfied customer! etc-loveetc-jurishlick

#145 | Back to Top12-24-2013 01:31:13 AM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

Giovanna wrote:

:cough:

So who wants to buy one of these on my behalf? emot-biggrin

I might be going after all. If no one else is planning on it, and they have enough copies when I get there, I'll get one for you.

jmie5 wrote:

Great, comprehensive review of Utena merchandise.

Thank you for this etc-love

#146 | Back to Top12-24-2013 02:21:26 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Not my thing but still very pretty. Thank you for the review, jmie5.

#147 | Back to Top12-24-2013 10:33:35 AM

QueenOfJebri
Miki Molester

Thank you for the review, jmie5! My mother accidentally spilled the beans about getting this for me for Christmas, and oh boy am I more excited than ever to be getting this puppy! The pendant itself DOES look to be on the HUGE side, but I've always been a fan of such things. As for the card, I'll put it next to my Tales of Symphonia greeting card (my two big fandoms, eee~) etc-jurishlick

The absolute destiny... of hot pockets.

#148 | Back to Top12-25-2013 09:53:32 PM

jmie5
Precious One

crystalwren wrote:

Not my thing but still very pretty. Thank you for the review, jmie5.

Sure thing, wren!  Your assessment is also how I feel about a lot of merchandise, when I get to see it better.

QueenOfJebri wrote:

Thank you for the review, jmie5! My mother accidentally spilled the beans about getting this for me for Christmas, and oh boy am I more excited than ever to be getting this puppy! The pendant itself DOES look to be on the HUGE side, but I've always been a fan of such things. As for the card, I'll put it next to my Tales of Symphonia greeting card (my two big fandoms, eee~) etc-jurishlick

I hope you had a great Christmas and the locket was everything you hoped, Queen!

#149 | Back to Top12-28-2013 06:03:37 AM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

RE: the Pixiv book - I realize this is last minute, but is anyone in the area and want to do a meetup for comiket? It seems like a pretty daunting thing to go to alone. As far as I can tell it's the only way to get the book, though. Let me know asap, especially if anyone wants to try for tomorrow's opening.

#150 | Back to Top12-28-2013 08:02:32 AM

Rina_Cat
Wakaba Wrangler

Hey...

My friends and I are here right now.... Staying in shinjuku... We are very tired ATM and going to bed now.

I realllllly want that pixiv book but I don't think I can make it super early.
We are aiming for ten but I have a feeling it will be super busy.

I don't even know how we would meet up... I'll pm you.

Sabrina

Last edited by Rina_Cat (12-28-2013 03:32:00 PM)

Board footer