This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#151 | Back to Top11-10-2010 08:55:11 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Re: Little things that make you think about SKU.

I was playing Portal today and Glados sort of reminded me of Anthy.    She's pretty passive aggressive (well in the beginning.  Towards the end she becomes more normally aggressive.) and her situation could be compared to Anthy's somewhat.  Glados was [spoilers]made by humans to de-ice things, but got too intelligent and killed off all the humans who had worked on her.  She's somewhat faulty and probably knows that she's faulty, but of course she can't be fixed because she killed off everyone who worked on her.  All she can do is live on, suspended in place, not really able to do anything except run useless little experiments in an abandoned lab with test subjects over and over and kill them off in the end.  Who knows how long she's been doing it?  It provides her with some entertainment, but all in all, the experiments are meaningless and don't tell her anything she doesn't already know.)  Her song is kind of melancholy.  She sounds like she's bragging, but at the end, her last 'still alive' sounds sad to me.)[/spoilers]

Last edited by HonorableShadow (11-10-2010 08:56:15 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#152 | Back to Top11-11-2010 11:43:13 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

I was watching Supernatural and part of my brain said Wow, Castiel is being all passive aggressive (aka Anthy) with Dean, but then I was like wait, passive aggressive implies some form of resistance/ Castiel isn't anything like Anthy, and then it was like D: that's even worse because he's putting up no resistance at all, (and Anthy needs to teach him a lesson or two in How to Tame Your Jerk.)

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#153 | Back to Top11-15-2010 01:04:59 AM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

Music video

Something about the giant rose she's caressing...I think SKU ruined me for roses. emot-gonk So now it just looks obscene and I cannot unsee it.

Last edited by haelsyx (11-15-2010 01:05:48 AM)

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#154 | Back to Top11-21-2010 02:48:39 PM

Randamonian
Rose Bride

I put this in the wrong topic before, now, ahem.....
http://forums.mangafox.com/picture.php?albumid=26408&pictureid=203469
My brother got this for me when he went to Thailand. Reminds me of the giant octopus.... his name is Po, apparently.

Also, J-List sells Planaterium Projectors you can make yourself. I thought to myself, MUST-BUY-NAO! Whenever I feel like chillin in my room in the dark, I can switch it on and pretend Akio's there. No, don't. AH!, Go away! Hentai! (just kidding)

#155 | Back to Top11-21-2010 03:21:08 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

I know this has been mentioned before.
But.

Fucking Scott Pilgrim.

#156 | Back to Top11-25-2010 01:19:45 PM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

I have to write an essay on hypocrisy, I can do this by picking any fictional character and describing what makes them hypocritical... emot-rofl needless to say this is not going to be too difficult

#157 | Back to Top12-02-2010 04:17:36 AM

Randamonian
Rose Bride

While watching the 11 episode of the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya, there's a scene where Koizumi asks Haruhi if she is thinking of introducing any more characters to the movie (this is an episode that shows them making the amateur movie in the first episode of the series. Koizumi ended up being the reason Kunikida and Taniguchi were in the movie, apparently) and Haruhi responds with deciding to add more characters. In return, she said, Koizumi would play a more vital role in the movie and would have more screen time. Then there is a pause... and he unconsciously twiched, like his whole body, then a pause.... then thanking Haruhi with that smile still on his face.
I got to thinking about it, because this was one of the first times Koizumi showed anything like his true feelings, albeit, not very noticably. Koizumi is just like Himemiya, always smiling and saying polite and nice things to people. Remember he has been given something like superpowers and is forced to watch over this crazy girl who may end up destroying the world.

It just got me thinkin... and liking Koizumi more for that.

#158 | Back to Top12-07-2010 03:30:15 PM

LectitoErgoSum
Juri Jeerer

I was researching female duets in opera and discovered the existence of an opera called Der Rosenkavalier. For the German-challenged (me included), that's The Knight of the Rose, although it's sometimes called The Rose-Bearer. And it features the presentation of a (unusually-colored) rose, a duel (kind of), a woman engaged (at first) to a boorish guy, who falls for and is fallen for by a young, princely cavalier—played by a crossdressing mezzo-soprano (who ends up recursive-crossdressing as a woman, natch) emot-smile. All taking place in the 1740s, so with gorgeous period dress, uniforms, and swords.

Great, I think I feel the need to write a cross-over coming on...

Who the gods would destroy, they first:
(a) make great (b) give television (c) hand the celestial equivalent of a stick with a fizzing fuse and Acme Dynamite Company written on the side

#159 | Back to Top12-08-2010 05:56:40 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

The company that produces Happy Meal Toys has an emblem of an egg shaped earth

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#160 | Back to Top12-09-2010 11:33:29 PM

Cyrias
Tenjou Tilter

I went to the chemist with mum and there were boxes of 'Tena' brand shorts, so my mind logically thought of Utena's name emot-wink

In lumine tuo, videbimus amor ('In your light, we shall love') Slippy slippery mambo~ everyone at Ohtori is in some kind of spiritual land, created by Goddess Anthy and her brother Akio?!

#161 | Back to Top12-13-2010 07:22:14 PM

Neva Caruso
Tenjou Tilter

Hearing the song "It's The End of the World As We Know It."

Which naturally leads me to sing "...And he is slime" instead of "...And I feel fine."

#162 | Back to Top12-14-2010 01:47:04 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

It snowed on a sunny day today!  And my first thought was "yay, now some bunny people are rushing to get married!" It was only sunny for about an hour though, then the clouds covered the sun.  I wonder if the sun has to last all day or if they can only get married while the sun is still out. D:

#163 | Back to Top12-14-2010 02:19:39 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

HonorableShadow wrote:

It snowed on a sunny day today!  And my first thought was "yay, now some bunny people are rushing to get married!" It was only sunny for about an hour though, then the clouds covered the sun.  I wonder if the sun has to last all day or if they can only get married while the sun is still out. D:

I think this during sun-showers, too.  etc-love  I think they have to get married while the sun is out, but fortunately, bunny-people weddings are pretty easy.  Your whole family lives in the warren, and catering is provided by the grass.  We should all be so lucky.

#164 | Back to Top12-15-2010 12:44:35 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Haha, that's true. emot-biggrin At least that part is easy on them!

#165 | Back to Top01-12-2011 12:32:48 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

One of my colleagues start to wear glasses recently. Her glasses are so reflective that I can almost see her as Anthy. Luckily she is not the passive aggresive kind of person. emot-tongue

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#166 | Back to Top01-15-2011 03:59:34 AM

minervana
High Tripper

I'm researching tarot card symbolism right now. Parallels to Utena abound.

#167 | Back to Top01-17-2011 01:32:20 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I was playing Taboo with my neighbors, and the word I had to guess was "duel". I was ready to have a fit right there, but then I got "palace" and I just died. What a coincidence, huh?

#168 | Back to Top01-17-2011 08:18:23 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

I was lying awake as usual, unable to re-adjust my sleep schedule last night, when I remembered a poem we learned in French class last year. For some reason it made me think of Akio/Utena, in that Akio wooed her by making her feel special and loved and showered her with affection, but only wished to imprison her.

Je suis allé au marché aux oiseaux (I went to the bird market)
Et j'ai acheté des oiseaux (and there I bought a bird)
Pour toi, mon amour (For you, my love.)

Je suis allé au marché aux fleurs (I went to the flower market)
Et j'ai acheté des fleurs (and there I bought some flowers)

Je suis allé au marché à la ferraille (I went to the blacksmith's market)
Et j'ai acheté des chaînes (and there I bought some chains)
De lourdes chaînes (those heavy chains)

Et je suis allé au marché aux esclaves (And then I went to the slaver's market)
Et je t'ai cherchée (and there I searched)
Mais je ne t'ai pas trouvée (but you were not there)
Mon amour (My love.)

-Jaques Prevert

Okay, long post over. :U

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

#169 | Back to Top01-17-2011 11:41:00 PM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

I don't want to destroy your innocent minds but any here seen the hentai: Shin Reyon Densetsu?

It's a violent hentai with no redeeming value, but it's clearly inspired by utena, imo.

#170 | Back to Top01-18-2011 02:04:28 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Charuru wrote:

I don't want to destroy your innocent minds but any here seen the hentai: Shin Reyon Densetsu?

It's a violent hentai with no redeeming value, but it's clearly inspired by utena, imo.

How so? Because I just jumped through it and saw no Utenaishness. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#171 | Back to Top01-18-2011 02:35:35 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Is there incest?  Roses?  Prince-princess dynamic mixed with lesbianism?  Because when I think of Utena and Hentai those are the most obvious connections that jump out at me.

#172 | Back to Top01-18-2011 07:52:56 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Sharnii's amvs.
etc-love

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#173 | Back to Top01-19-2011 12:52:54 AM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

Spoilers below lol:

There is yuri, the main female heroine is captured by a female tentacle monster who rapes her, if that's yuri lol.
But the main female heroine is an naive action hero type, has pink hair, but more importantly at the crucial battle scene is taken over/channels the spirit of some ancient hero who imbues her with power to slay the demon.

Here is where she grabs the sword that can be used only by the chosen one, and then the ancient hero's face overlays hers with the same kind of imagery as when Dios appears.

http://i.imgur.com/u8nJD.jpg (NSFW)

http://i.imgur.com/t9yKk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6rvHo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UipO8.jpg

I mean this is not a utena parody or anything like that, just sometimes something jumps out at me and I think, hey looks like they got that from Utena!

There's a prequel that explains the stuff with the ancient hero whose spirit she is embodying but I didn't watch that.

I also think there's supposed to be a sequel where she saves the world? But I think it got canceled.

Last edited by satyreyes (01-19-2011 08:40:05 AM)

#174 | Back to Top01-19-2011 08:39:29 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Heh -- I know I would have thought about SKU if I'd seen that show emot-smile  Thanks for the screencaps, Charuru!  Incidentally, we definitely like NSFW images around here, but we do try to keep them either in the In Flagrante Delicto subforum, or behind a link.  That way people browsing from school or work don't get in trouble.  I've gone ahead and replaced your first screencap with a link.

#175 | Back to Top04-06-2011 09:56:45 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

I could have sworn we had a topic for SKU in other media but I can't seem to find it so I figured I'd give this a little bump...

Last night I played through a VN by Christine Love (very talented lady as far as I'm concerned) called Don't Take It Personally Babe, It Just Aint's Your Story. At it's heart it's a very intriguing look at social networking and the whole aspect of privacy but the reason I'm posting about it in this little topic is that there are a few direct references to Utena (in spoof form, giving it another name but very obviously SKU) that absolutely made me smile so very much. Since the game deals with Facebook like wallposts there's one conversation pretty late in the game that would make any SKU fan happy, and one of the characters has a line from Rondo Revolution in their profile that made me grin like a fool. emot-biggrin

If anyone is interested, the game can be downloaded for free here:

http://scoutshonour.com/donttakeitperso … yourstory/

Board footer