This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top12-01-2006 10:27:33 AM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Re: Utena meets Magic: the Gathering in a huge nerdy meltdown!!!

Haha.. are we talking about Shadow? Sahdow.. if I remember what my friend told me is simply like Flying, only creatures with Shadow can block Shadow... or something like that. though I have to wonder why they didn't release that with Kamigawa and the Ninja's.. .oh well.

#52 | Back to Top12-01-2006 10:35:09 AM

CMK
Rose Bride

Giovanna wrote:

Oh god you people rock and I want to participate but I don't remember the rules well enough and you're all using newfangled Shadow and this that and the other thing.

I was playing Mirage for god's sake. emot-gonk (Actually the deck I did keep, because it's almost entirely rares, is mostly Invasion-era.)

My advice is:  If you don't know the modern game rules too well, don't worry about it.  Just try to describe in real English what you think the card should do, and someone'll probably template it correctly.

On the other hand, once we get the DB up we may need our own forum so things like card discussions don't get confused.

#53 | Back to Top12-01-2006 10:52:40 AM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Next batch, all Nanami based, well here we go.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8205/deviousplansok5.jpg     http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9466/loveforhervassalsfu1.jpg    http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9584/magicindiancurrypp6.jpg     
http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/6595/photoshootyr5.jpg
Heh... I thought I had more, oh well. Uh... black.. should read block... curse my poor eyesight.

EDIT: Oh right, I just realized, "Bon Voyage, Nanami!" should probably be an Encahntment, not a sorcery.

Last edited by Xu Yuan (12-01-2006 10:57:28 AM)

#54 | Back to Top12-01-2006 10:53:02 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Yeah, this thread is made of awesome and love. etc-love

o; ::tries to catch up on the modern rules::

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#55 | Back to Top12-01-2006 11:34:09 AM

CMK
Rose Bride

A Juri oriented card.

Feint and Push
1W
Instant
Prevent all damage dealt by attacking creature this turn OR prevent all damage dealt by blocking creature this turn
Entwine 1W (If you pay the Entwine cost, choose both instead.)

#56 | Back to Top12-01-2006 11:51:57 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

"Oh!  That's Mr. Mongoose!" -- underpowered.  cf. Time Spiral's Sprout, which is G to get a 1/1 Saproling token anytime, including during combat.

Elephant Herd -- overpowered.  Might as well read "4G, pay 8 life: get 8 3/3 Elephants on turn five."  I like the attempt to use Flashback to make it hark back to Call of the Herd, though.  (Also, on this and the mongoose: wisdom of using sorcery and instant slots to make creature tokens in a set where we're already having trouble finding creatures?)

Musical Henchman -- not bad!  Two mana for a 2/2 with haste is questionable, though; that would be a very powerful two-mana creature even in green with no extra abilities.  The relevant card is Goblin Chariot, 2R for a 2/2 with haste and no extra abilities.  I think Musical Henchman should be 2R or 1RR.

Feint and Push -- fine, but when would you want to prevent damage from an attacking AND a blocking creature?  Presumably you control one of them.  Whatever you have in mind (multiplayer?), it's pretty subtle.  The card would be a lot cleaner if it just said "prevent all damage dealt by target creature in combat this turn."  You could even keep the fencing flavor by putting Replicate or Storm on it.  Entwine is cool, but it ought to have a purpose.

I heartily second CMK's suggestion that you should just throw something out there and someone'll try to make it work within the rules.  Shadow, by the way, is similar to flying.  The difference is that while a flying creature can block a creature without flying, a shadow creature cannot block a creature without shadow.  Shadow almost creates a second battlefield, on which only shadow creatures can and must fight.  It wasn't used in Kamigawa block because it really isn't as fun as it sounds like it should be (I mean, c'mon, basically it's flying but worse).  But they brought it back for the current block because it's nostalgic and oozing with flavor.

Last edited by satyreyes (12-01-2006 11:58:32 AM)

#57 | Back to Top12-01-2006 12:04:40 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Next batch coming up!

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2258/musicalhenchmanyc3.jpg       http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4015/slapbackkh8.jpg    http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5873/offeringoftherosesgt0.jpg

#58 | Back to Top12-01-2006 12:06:54 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

satyreyes wrote:

"Oh!  That's Mr. Mongoose!" -- underpowered.  cf. Time Spiral's Sprout, which is G to get a 1/1 Saproling token anytime, including during combat.

Elephant Herd -- overpowered.  Might as well read "4G, pay 8 life: get 8 3/3 Elephants on turn five."  I like the attempt to use Flashback to make it hark back to Call of the Herd, though.  (Also, on this and the mongoose: wisdom of using sorcery and instant slots to make creature tokens in a set where we're already having trouble finding creatures?)

Pay *16* life.  I updated when you pointed out my typo in PM.  I really didn't intend it to be that good.

Also, when it comes time to count up, I'm considering counting these as critter slots.  Like the Odyssey cards they're similiar to, they don't really feel like spells.

Musical Henchman -- not bad!  Two mana for a 2/2 with haste is questionable, though; that would be a very powerful two-mana creature even in green with no extra abilities.  The relevant card is Goblin Chariot, 2R for a 2/2 with haste and no extra abilities.  I think Musical Henchman should be 2R or 1RR.

Perhaps move the Haste ability onto the 'must have three out?'  We've already got a fair bit of removal floating around.  I don't know if that would make them two dangerous in threes...

Feint and Push -- fine, but when would you want to prevent damage from an attacking AND a blocking creature?  Presumably you control one of them.  Whatever you have in mind, it's pretty subtle.  The card would be a lot cleaner if it just said "prevent all damage dealt by target creature in combat this turn."  Entwine is cool, but it ought to have a purpose.

I had planned on a number of "retaliation" effects that trigger off a creature being damaged in Black and Red.  This is White's counter.  See the end of this for an example.

I heartily second CMK's suggestion that you should just throw something out there and someone'll try to make it work within the rules.  Shadow, by the way, is similar to flying.  The difference is that while a flying creature can block a creature without flying, a shadow creature cannot block a creature without shadow.  Shadow almost creates a second battlefield, on which only shadow creatures can and must fight.  It wasn't used in Kamigawa block because it really isn't as fun as it sounds like it should be (I mean, c'mon, basically it's flying but worse).  But they brought it back for the current block because it's nostalgic and oozing with flavor.

Also, this time they costed it as the really nasty evasion ability it is, rather than as a drawback.

Red Uncommon Duelist
3R
Creature - Human Duelist
When ~This~ is dealt damage in combat, put a +1/+0 counter on ~this~
2/3

Last edited by CMK (12-01-2006 12:09:29 PM)

#59 | Back to Top12-01-2006 12:40:50 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Devious Plans - A wonderful idea.  I'd say it was too expensive (Green can do this for one mana AND draw a card with Turn to Dust), but this is an environment that will have a lot of powerful equipment, so I say let it stand.

Love for her Vassals - I love the title, and the choice to limit it to red creatures anyone controls is good.  Still probably too expensive -- this card lets an army of Mons's Goblin Raiders kill an army of Swooping Talons -- but a good idea.

Magic Indian Curry - Cool!  Would be cleaner if it just said ". . . You gain control of the target creature; that creature's controller gains control of ~this~'s equipped creature.  Then ~this~ equips the target creature."  Different, but not too different, and a lot less confusing.

Photoshoot - Along with "don't refer to other specific cards," another general design rule that should only be broken in times of great need is "don't keep track of how many times a card has done something, unless you mark it in some in-game way."  Do you really want to have to remember how many times you've activated Photoshoot?  emot-smile  Anyway, this is a cool card, though I'm not sure it does what you think it does, and I think it's too complex for what it does do.  Needs enough work that I'll think about it more when/if it gets set up on the database CMK's working on.

All the Nanami cards feel very red and very Nanami.  Good job!

#60 | Back to Top12-01-2006 12:47:29 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

WOWOWOWOW. If you guys are like...serious about printing these or something, in time I can provide much better images than some of these. emot-smile

Also, Photoshoot I think needs another name. Those pictures were taken secretly, which strikes me as...not photoshooty, given that there are actual, completely aware and deliberate posed photoshoots in the series. (Which naturally would get a different card.)

Edit: What's this Google Database thing what what what emot-confused

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#61 | Back to Top12-01-2006 12:59:32 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Slap Back - This is a monowhite card.  I'm not sure what the proper cost should be, or what the exact phrasing of the ability should be, but it's definitely monowhite.  (White is fine with dealing damage, as long as it's retaliatory damage.)  I also don't think it's as powerful as a four-mana gold card.

Offering of the Roses - You're trying to do something very cool here, called top-down design -- you figure out what flavor you want first, then find a mechanic to match.  In a way we all are, since we're starting out from the premise that this is the UTENA Magic set.  In this case you decided that you wanted the card to cost one mana of each of the roses' colors.  But even top-down design has to end up feeling internally consistent and unified.  I don't feel like Offering of the Roses has any internal unity/sense of purpose.  It can do any of three things, but they're connected only by the fact that each corresponds to a color in the mana cost; there's nothing "offering of the rosy" about the card.  You can do better emot-smile

Agreed, about Photoshoot needing another name.  I'm not sure exactly how the Google Docs thing works, but CMK seems to know.  CMK, care to elaborate?  emot-smile

Last edited by satyreyes (12-01-2006 01:01:15 PM)

#62 | Back to Top12-01-2006 01:19:10 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

satyreyes wrote:

Agreed, about Photoshoot needing another name.  I'm not sure exactly how the Google Docs thing works, but CMK seems to know.  CMK, care to elaborate?  emot-smile

Gladly, to the extent I know how this works.

Rather than a database, we'll be using a spreadsheet.  In a little while, Satyreyes, you'll be getting an email that will invite you to help work on this sucker.   I think at first we'll leave it to us two to be able to edit the central database, and just enter cards as they're posted to a central suggestion thread.  Anyone who asks can get an invitation to look at it, but I'm not sure if it can be posted publicly or how.

The rest we can work through as problems emerge.

#63 | Back to Top12-01-2006 01:25:46 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

CMK wrote:

Rather than a database, we'll be using a spreadsheet.  In a little while, Satyreyes, you'll be getting an email that will invite you to help work on this sucker.   I think at first we'll leave it to us two to be able to edit the central database, and just enter cards as they're posted to a central suggestion thread.  Anyone who asks can get an invitation to look at it, but I'm not sure if it can be posted publicly or how.

Hm.  Not a bad idea, but there's not a lot of room for discussion, or really for anything except organizing.  A PBWiki might be a better idea.  I'll work on getting one set up, but it'll take a bit; I'm at work, and because I tutor it's not likely I'll be able to slough off work for a few minutes to work on Magic.  I've gone ahead and registered a wiki for us -- the URL is utenamagic.pbwiki.com and the edit password is kakumei.  It works just like Wikipedia, except that it is OURS.  I've already put in a text dump of the cards we made last night, not including any that got added since I went to bed. 

I'm not sure what the best way to do this is -- whether each card should have its own page or what -- but go look at it and play with it and see what you make of it.

Last edited by satyreyes (12-01-2006 01:28:10 PM)

#64 | Back to Top12-01-2006 01:25:58 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

RE: "Oh look, it's Mr. Mongoose!"

Should probably be a 1/1 token that can't be the target of spells or abilities.  Untargetable is a Mongoose ability, so....I think that puts this solidly in a Spike realm.  Very powerful if limited effect, and the fast-casting ability has some potential with forced sacrifices.  Also didn't want it to be an 'instant blocker' card.

#65 | Back to Top12-01-2006 01:26:31 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Haha, yeah that was just a prototype, because I really want to use that picture in something, I'll think up a better idea for it another time then, Photoshoot should probably be changed to.. How does "Snap! Snap! Snapshot!" work? Slapback should be changed to jus a white, I'm not really knowledgable on how good a card like that would be.. so does 2 colorless and one white work? Hmm, though it's affect is supposed to be like an old.. Aura of Indifference, or something like that. As well, would "This card's first ability only works for three turns" work?

#66 | Back to Top12-01-2006 01:31:02 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

satyreyes wrote:

CMK wrote:

Hm.  Not a bad idea, but there's not a lot of room for discussion, or really for anything except organizing.  A PBWiki might be a better idea.  I'll work on getting one set up, but it'll take a bit; I'm at work, and because I tutor it's not likely I'll be able to slough off work for a few minutes to work on Magic.  I've gone ahead and registered a wiki for us -- the URL is utenamagic.pbwiki.com and the edit password is kakumei.  It works just like Wikipedia, except that it is OURS.  I've already put in a text dump of the cards we made last night, not including any that got added since I went to bed. 

I'm not sure what the best way to do this is -- whether each card should have its own page or what -- but go look at it and play with it and see what you make of it.

I think the spreadsheet or some form of database view will be a good tool that should be kept updated for the simple sake of organization.  The PBWiki is probably better for public information and discussion, using the database as a 'safe backup' if someone gets a little out of hand with joke cards.

#67 | Back to Top12-01-2006 01:36:44 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

Xu Yuan wrote:

Haha, yeah that was just a prototype, because I really want to use that picture in something, I'll think up a better idea for it another time then, Photoshoot should probably be changed to.. How does "Snap! Snap! Snapshot!" work? Slapback should be changed to jus a white, I'm not really knowledgable on how good a card like that would be.. so does 2 colorless and one white work? Hmm, though it's affect is supposed to be like an old.. Aura of Indifference, or something like that. As well, would "This card's first ability only works for three turns" work?

Modern templating would use some kind of counter.  The difficulty is, counters are possible to play with.  Since one sub-goal is to have this be playable with other sets, we really want to limit the number of counters flying around.  Sweet Seduction is good because counters on it vanish, and something happens when they're gone.  I don't know that we want to head too far into that design territory, though.

Don't feel too bad if this one doesn't make the cut, though.  I think that everyone's unconciously dismissed the Touga card that was posted earlier as 'all wrong.'  I mean, it's off-color for its' ability (Damage Prevention is white), Touga's been relegated to Black, and he's probably a touch undercosted even if he were correct.

#68 | Back to Top12-01-2006 01:48:56 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

I'm also thinking we really need a cycle of nonbasic land...and I wanna do something different with it.  I'm thinking maybe a variant on the Odyssey filter multilands.

Home-Ec Kitchen
Land
T:  Add R to your mana pool
1, T:  Add RR to your mana pool

My big problem is, this seems obvious, but I don't know if it has been done.

#69 | Back to Top12-01-2006 02:04:04 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Hmm.... do basic lands count as set cards? If not then that leaves 18 style cards for each of the main players We should probably figure out what they are going to be (sorcery, Instant, that sort of thing) before we make cards for those ranges... or maybe I'm think too far ahead?

#70 | Back to Top12-01-2006 02:08:28 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Wow. This looks so interesting. I have no idea how to play MTG, but I would LOVE to play the SKU version. I'll do some research, though. This is exciting, and I love you guys so much!etc-loveetc-love

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#71 | Back to Top12-01-2006 02:08:28 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Oh god you people rock and I want to participate but I don't remember the rules well enough and you're all using newfangled Shadow and this that and the other thing.

I was playing Mirage for god's sake. emot-gonk (Actually the deck I did keep, because it's almost entirely rares, is mostly Invasion-era.)

Seconded except I don't even know what Invasion is. emot-redface

Mirage though, yeah! How 'bout those... flankers.

Actually flanking was cool, is that still around? Juri needs it.

I'll just be over here doing my own thing in 4th Edition land. emot-dance

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#72 | Back to Top12-01-2006 02:09:24 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

Xu Yuan wrote:

Hmm.... do basic lands count as set cards? If not then that leaves 18 style cards for each of the main players We should probably figure out what they are going to be (sorcery, Instant, that sort of thing) before we make cards for those ranges... or maybe I'm think too far ahead?

Small set, no.  And I was thinking that we'd try to limit top-down cards to the named characters (Utena, Anthy, Saionji, Miki, Juri, Nanami, Touga, Kaede, Kozue, Shiori, Wakaba, Keiko, Mikage, and Mamiya), plus one of each effect, with the exceptions given above.  That leaves a large number of 'bottom-up' cards that need to be made to fill niches and make this a complete SET with a solid theme, and not just a tightly connected set of cards.

#73 | Back to Top12-01-2006 02:25:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Just a thought...

We seem to be assuming the characters only get one card each. This is problematic given you'd need a whole large set of creatures to play. Why relegate each character to one card that's 'theirs'? Like they could have their named card 'Akio Ohtori', but then commons like 'Deceptive Mentor' or 'Occasional Administrator' that're less powerful but still have fitting effects. That opens the floodgates for a lot more cards, and it seems to me proper that they'd work that way.

I can think of a whole bunch of cards like that, little ones with smaller effects that'll fit the characters at different points in the series. Like Wakaba as a duelist would have a card, but then there could also be a Wakaba that makes Utena bento boxes. The kind of creature you tap to give another creature some benefit, or whatever.

Edit: It just makes more sense to me that forcing ourselves into a position where a lot of the commons you'd be playing aren't about specific characters. The cast is large enough that you should be able to avoid much of that.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#74 | Back to Top12-01-2006 02:25:42 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

Ok, now it's my turn!
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7098/mikagesoujido3.jpg

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#75 | Back to Top12-01-2006 02:27:12 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Flanking was just reintroduced, and does seem like a good idea for Juri. Though we still have yet to think of the main character's, I'll probably have to remake the Nemuro card, since it's been decided that Nemuro/Mikage wilkl be black and white, though it may be best ot make those cards soon, any body wth knowledge about the game is free to help out as they wish.

EDIT: Well done on Mikage! Though he may be a little too cheap, Mana wise, though I like the idea of resurrection, and an excellent pic you chose! Well done!

Last edited by Xu Yuan (12-01-2006 02:29:02 PM)

Board footer