This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#126 | Back to Top06-06-2008 08:40:45 PM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

Re: Name Name what's in a name your own or one in SKU explained

The_White_Horse wrote:

My name, depending on the translation of my first name, translates loosly into "Pure Hearted Son of the Ash Tree Princess/Serpent/Plate" oh, all story-book like xD

Except the plate part. Wtf? O.o

Could be worse. My middle name, Madeleine, apparently means that I either am or live in a High Tower/some place called Magdalen. This could be a metaphor for my untouched virginity, my promiscuousness, or that I'm somehow a short and red-headed, brave little French orphan girl.

I wonder what plates are a metaphor for? Someone help us out here? This is IRG, everyone here is a nut for metaphors and symbolism, right?

#127 | Back to Top06-06-2008 10:00:33 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I say shields. The princess can defend herself from the serpent with a plate as a shield.

How's that for five seconds' thought? emot-tongue

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#128 | Back to Top06-06-2008 10:19:54 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Plates are used to serve things, and when I think of serving, I think of sacrifice. So plates = sacrifice? Something. XD

#129 | Back to Top06-06-2008 10:32:24 PM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

BioKraze wrote:

I say shields. The princess can defend herself from the serpent with a plate as a shield.

lawl, yours is more amusing.

#130 | Back to Top06-07-2008 12:07:18 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Mishi wrote:

Could be worse. My middle name, Madeleine, apparently means that I either am or live in a High Tower/some place called Magdalen. This could be a metaphor for my untouched virginity, my promiscuousness, or that I'm somehow a short and red-headed, brave little French orphan girl.

Well, there is a Magdalen Bridge and College in Oxford, you could claim to be from there...though it's pronounced "Maudlin." I have no idea why. I just used to laugh at tourists who looked at me blankly when I told them the bus was leaving from Magdalen Street and THEY COULDN'T FIND IT ON A MAP. emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#131 | Back to Top06-07-2008 01:54:48 AM

The_White_Horse
Rose Smilee
Website

BioKraze wrote:

So with yours and Lady Nilamarthiel's suggestion, I'm the pure-hearted son of the sacrificial ash tree princess who defended herself from a serpent using a plate! Woo!

Mishi, ouch >.O and a metaphor that = both promiscuity AND virginity are pretty interesting x3 To me though, high towers have always represented strength that towers over all emot-keke

#132 | Back to Top06-07-2008 05:36:01 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

You know, most of my current name really doesn't mean anything...

(it symbolizes beauty, rape and pillage though. Thanks mom!)

the name I daily use means Shiny though. YAY SHINY.

My original name, 深朧, I'm told is supposed to mean deep moonlight, but the last character is weird. I've looked it up, and it would always say a stage of the moon, but I'm always reassured its supposed to mean moonlight. Hmm.

...I have no idea where the name allegoriest came from.
Nope. None at all...

#133 | Back to Top06-08-2008 01:26:11 PM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

The_White_Horse wrote:

Mishi, ouch >.O and a metaphor that = both promiscuity AND virginity are pretty interesting x3 To me though, high towers have always represented strength that towers over all emot-keke

Untouched virginity: when you're living in a high tower, it must be pretty hard to get up and down all those stairs

Promiscuity: Mary-Magdalen, anyone?

Red-headed little French orphan girl: I used to read Madeline when I was a kid. They even made a movie out of it a few years ago. Although I think that kid was blonde or something.

So which is it? I'll let you guess. T_T

#134 | Back to Top01-06-2009 10:52:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

satyreyes wrote:

[My last name] "Auriti" is the hardest of all to define, except to say that it's Italian.  My best guess, based on my scanty knowledge of Romance language etymology, is that it means "golden," or possibly "dawn."

Turns out I was wrong about this!  According to a name etymology service provided by a souvenir shop off an authentic Irish pub at Downtown Disney, Auriti comes from the Latin female name Aura, which in turn means a light breeze.  So Auriti literally means something like "descendant of the light breeze."  This is incredibly cool and resolves a decades-old family mystery.

#135 | Back to Top01-10-2009 05:55:37 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

^ neat and congrats.

Phèdre
Ysandre
Dorelei

I found those names in a fantasy book and wonder if they have real meanings. I want to use them in someway.

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (01-10-2009 05:56:24 AM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#136 | Back to Top01-10-2009 06:54:30 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Oh my god.

Oh my fucking god.

My family in France has a fucking castle.

I shit you not.

OMGOMGWTF emot-gonk

#137 | Back to Top01-11-2009 01:26:09 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

Phèdre
Ysandre
Dorelei

I found those names in a fantasy book and wonder if they have real meanings. I want to use them in someway.

I see someone else has found the lovely Kushiel's Legacy books... etc-wankgirletc-love

Phèdre is a Grecian name meaning bright.
I couldn't find Ysandre nor Dorelei online, and my baby name books are nowhere to be found. (Probably still in Michigan >>;;; ) I have heard of names similar to Dorelei being used, I just can't remember the spelling.

I'll keep poking around for you though.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#138 | Back to Top01-13-2009 11:46:17 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

^ squeeeeeeeeee and thanks I etc-love those books.

congrats Lady N are you going to attempt to see it?

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#139 | Back to Top01-15-2009 03:15:52 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Amelia Blue Sky. Try it. emot-biggrin
(And no, before you ask, my mother was not a hippy. She just really wanted to call me Blue, but dad wouldn't let her. Thank the lord). 
Damnit, my initials are one off being ABBA. What a wasted opportunity! emot-gonk

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#140 | Back to Top01-25-2009 05:21:14 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

I'm named after a goddess (Athena), but I'm not sure if the name itself has a meaning.

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

#141 | Back to Top01-25-2009 08:28:52 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Most places say Athena has an unknown meaning, perhaps meaning sharp or praise, or they'll just say it's the 'goddess of wisdom'. emot-mad

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#142 | Back to Top01-25-2009 09:47:23 PM

Prince_of_Stars
Someday Shiner
Website

My name has two separate meanings, seeing as how it's a combination of two names. It means "Victory of the people" and "Narrow". Somone had a narrow victory against another country?emot-confused

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/chani_sama/prince-sig.png

Sir Hellsing: Leader of the Feminine Failure Revolution
Faithfully failing at feminine tasks, gender roles, and the conventionality of femininity since 1990.

#143 | Back to Top01-26-2009 12:10:04 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Lady Chani wrote:

Most places say Athena has an unknown meaning, perhaps meaning sharp or praise, or they'll just say it's the 'goddess of wisdom'. emot-mad

I know, that sucks. Actually, I like "sharp" or "praise." It fits her well, really.

Narrow victory? I can believe that.

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

Board footer