This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-08-2008 11:44:27 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

TougaxUtena

In the Anime:
Touga made one fatal mistake as far as this relationship is concerned. He tried to be like Akio and he failed. He also handled Utena like one of his conquests. It appears as though Utena knew what he was like, and therefore resisted his charms. It was only later in the show he actually showed some heart and at that point was too late. She had grown cold to him since he had not changed his ways.

There was a stronger relationship 'tween the two in the manga, since it seemed as though Saito wanted them to be together. Ikuhara steered away from that in the anime, for who knows what reason.
It seems to be the basis of the show constituted the association of "princes". For instance, I suppose Touga was nanami's prince. I'm not quite sure since I skipped through most of the black rose.

To be perfectly honest, I think this couple had a lot of potential, since Akio was really just an evil sexy ken doll for Anthy. Lol.

But that is my biased opinion. Since I prefer the couple. But there is a true couple even more obvious thant tougax utena, and that's utenaxanthy.

Last edited by Persephone (01-08-2008 11:46:49 PM)

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#2 | Back to Top01-09-2008 01:24:52 AM

J-Syxx
Banned

Re: TougaxUtena

Well. you are entitled to ship who you ship.  So I have no beef with that.  I really don't see the appeal myself though.  Utena/Touga would seem to be really boring to me. 

Beyond that, Touga is a wannabe prince in a sense, and Utena wanting to be a prince herself would make them incompatible in certain ways, especially after she realized the truth about her memories about "the prince" later on.  This is also the reason he got "dumped" in the movie, where he held more pure princely qualities as opposed to the corrupted anime version.  Her have a prince was something from her childhood, which was pretty much over-rided by her entering adolescence and realizing she likes chicks (specifically Anthy).  Tv-series Utena is a lot more bi though, I will concede.

Utena didn't go for him in the tv series, though, because a main girl going for that kind of guy would be too obvious, and Ikuhara wanted to turn cliched shoujo on it's head.  Saito probably not so much, so you get the more obvious reactions from the main girl.

Also as for Ikuhara steering away from Saito's manga, I'm not really convinced the anime is based on the manga.  I think they both come from some series Bible that be-papa's made together.  The anime, manga, and movie are all different interpretations of that source material.  At least, that would be my best guess.

But yeah over all the idea of this coupling is already giving me snores.  Touga/Saionji and Touga/Nanami I think are much more interesting.

Last edited by J-Syxx (01-09-2008 01:27:32 AM)

#3 | Back to Top01-09-2008 01:30:09 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

J-Syxx wrote:

Also as for Ikuhara steering away from Saito's manga, I'm not really convinced the anime is based on the manga.  I think they both come from some series Bible that be-papa's made together.  The anime, manga, and movie are all different interpretations of that source material.  At least, that would be my best guess.

It is said that every version of Utena is a "retelling" of the source material, and none of them are based off the other so much as they have common characters and themes. Were another version of Utena to be created, it would different from what we already know. Which is why the film manga deviates still from from the film itself.

There are four somewhat official Utena stories as of this point.

1) Series
2) Manga
3) Film
4) "Film" Manga

Sorry to derail the thread. emot-redface

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#4 | Back to Top01-09-2008 03:19:44 AM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I also think that every one of the forum member relates to a specific chara and likes another one as a love interest. This is just my identification of the chara. I relate to Utena and I like Touga. Which is why I like the match. But like you said, there are more interesting couples.

J-Syxx wrote:

Utena didn't go for him in the tv series, though, because a main girl going for that kind of guy would be too obvious, and Ikuhara wanted to turn cliched shoujo on it's head.  Saito probably not so much, so you get the more obvious reactions from the main girl.

That is quite a statement. I appreciate Ikuhara doing it, too, because the whole show is based on the perception of tumultuous relationships. TougaxUtena wouldn't have been as interesting if they had become an item. I like the instability of the relationship, I like it when I can fantasize a relationship in my head. It's possibilities, it's romance. This is what really draws me to them.

Last edited by Persephone (01-09-2008 03:20:18 AM)

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.

#5 | Back to Top01-09-2008 03:48:16 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Oh, come on, we all know the reason they'd never have worked out: Pink and red clash. Touga's so self-absorbed, he'd never be with a chick whose hair color clashed with his.

emot-biggrin

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#6 | Back to Top01-09-2008 05:38:17 AM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

^ heh. It's true - you can have pink and purple, but not pink and red. emot-keke

On that note, since I percieve SKU as having fairly strong feminist themes, it would be a bit less 'revolutionary' if Utena allowed herself to be coveted by one of the least honorable male characters in the series. Although she does have a positive influence on him, in a way(dude, he still tries to molest his sister. That guy is shameless.), I think a lot of viewers would have lost respect for Utena had she caved to his charms.

Both Akio and Touga are sort of trials for Utena - once she's fought the obvious sexuality of Touga, she is forced to contend with the mature and (somewhat)more subtle sexual manipulation of Akio. (I'm going to be attacked for this one, so I'll try to clarify - although we know Akio is a horrible and sexy manwhore, unlike Touga he never reveals his arrogance or promiscuity in full view for Utena to see. Being engaged isn't the same as entertaining flocks of women, and it's only after Utena has fallen for Akio that she discovers the the key to Anthy's and the Chairman's family love).

I personally love the UtenaxAnthy pairing, but I also think it's great how Utena becomes everyone's 'ideal women' at the end of the series. It's a reward for her perseverance, and a great touch to the series. Also, Anthy is pretty much the dark side of Utena, so pairing the two together just makes an adorable couple. emot-biggrin

(plus, TougaxSaionji, anyone? etc-love We have to keep that option open.)

Last edited by Adrasteia (01-09-2008 05:39:14 AM)

#7 | Back to Top01-09-2008 09:30:42 AM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Meh. I think the essential key to the series relationship of Touga and Utena is that they did not get together. As discussed earlier in a Touga analysis I did, I feel that Touga is somewhat more conservative about sexuality than we believe. Why? He takes careful pains to degrade his conquests as much as possible. How much does he respect those who succumb to his charms? Apparently, none at all. With Touga, you're either 1) a conquest/playtoy and not worthy of much respect at all 2) a non-entity such as Juri who is incapable of sexual attraction to him (though I actually question her status as a confirmed lesbian) or 3) this is a bland way of describing it, but characters who don't fit either of those two. With 3, you're getting people who don't figure into his usual calculations, and there's only two of them in the whole series. Akio has sex with him, but he's clearly the one in control. He dominates Touga, and I think Touga actually respects that tremendously. Not because he's masochistic, but because it represents the allure of a relationship with no emotional attachment, but the thrill of screwing for power.

To further my example, I'll put in a bit of a list of which people fall under who.

1) Nanami, Saionji, Keiko, hoards of fangirls, Kozue (though this is a bit of a special case since its mutual manipulation)
2) Juri, Miki*
3) Utena, Akio

* Miki I think is actually one of the lesser elaborated but highly important dynamics in the show. You'll notice that Miki is a fairly vulnerable target in the series - after all, he seemed either oblivious or appreciative of his piano teacher's advances. Touga can act very flirtatiously around him, but never takes advantage of this. Why? I think Touga appreciates innocence. It's that essential quality that draws him to Utena, though the key difference between her and Miki is that with Utena, he wishes to possess and thus destroy it. That eventually changes later on in the series. Why doesn't he ever pursue Miki? I think it all comes down to gender, actually. Miki could be a reminder of what Touga once was (at least in his mind). Or perhaps he just appreciates the perceived innocent admiration from Miki's end.

Great reading on the matter: Yasha's essay "A Link in Obscurity."

Geez.  With all this philosophizing on Touga, I'm going to go fangirl eventually. You might never think my favorite character is Shiori.

Last edited by Jellineck (01-09-2008 09:32:58 AM)

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#8 | Back to Top01-09-2008 11:19:02 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Particularly after her disillusionment about princes, I think there's little chance of driven, self-respecting Utena consenting to be with chauvinistic, self-absorbed Touga.  If you gave him another ten years, Touga might become worthy of her, but he'd have to continue down the path we see him just discovering at the end of the series -- the path that leads him to risk his own life and limb to save Utena from Akio.  His choice to duel her rather than be straight with her about what he knows is misguided and only further alienates Utena, but his heart is in the right place; the problem is that he doesn't really understand that Utena has to make her own mistakes, and Utena doesn't understand that this time he isn't just trying to seize power for himself.  Give him time and surround him with strong women, and there is hope for him.  (This is one reason I like him so much; he's a character who starts out irredeemable, and ends up redeemable but unredeemed.)

Persephone wrote:

I also think that every one of the forum member relates to a specific chara and likes another one as a love interest. This is just my identification of the chara.

Maybe so.  There's no one good enough for my Utena, unless it's Wakaba!  etc-love  Nevertheless, I just can't see TougaxUtena... yet.

#9 | Back to Top01-10-2008 12:16:00 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Oh, eventually, when I have at least 12 hours free, I will write my Touga essay.  I always seem to be in general agreement with, but a few degrees slanted off, what people say about Touga. :-)

Just wanted to post to note...  Touga evolves, yes, but he doesn't start off completely unredeemed, IMO (nor end up completely redeemed).  He starts off insufferable and ends up frustrating.

Touga's first and last duel with Utena are, ultimately, for the same two reasons.  HE knows more about what's going on than her.  He tells her after he beats her that he's doing her a favor.  I think he means it.  He's just a complete bastard about it--and he has an obvious ulterior motive in wanting to win Revolution for himself.  I tend to think both are true.  So, in the first duel, he is insufferably arrogant and manipulative.  In his last duel, he knows more than he did during his first--and still more than Utena knows.  But, as satyr said, instead of treating Utena as an equal and telling her what he knows, he chooses to try to protect her by attempting to take her place.  It's chivalrous, but still frustratingly arrogant.  I'm sure he'd like to beat Akio, though.  It's just that by the end of the series, the weight of each reason has switched.

From my perspective, Touga's supercilious protective instincts mirror Utena's.  He sees her and assumes she must want, deep down, to be a normal girl (remember him musing as he watch Utena and Anthy having lunch?).  Utena sees Anthy and assumes the same.  Anthy MUST want, deep down, to be a normal girl.  Just because Utena was more correct (though not completely correct) in HER assumption doesn't make thinking she knows what's best for everyone a more palatable personality trait.

The two of them have essentially black and white worldviews.  Touga is simply more sophisticated, particularly in how he presents himself (and he obviously has some areas that he's developed cynicism, which Utena lacks, but he's a few years older).  But both of them struggle throughout the series at dealing with the grays presented to them, at accepting truths they don't like.  Neither of them deal particularly well with that kind of adversity, either.

I'll reiterate my opinion on Touga and Utena's probable romance.  Especially early in the series, Utena's behavior gives me cues that she is attracted to Touga.  His blatant sexuality and obvious philandering give her plenty of excuses to be hostile and defensive toward him.  Not so much because he's a worthless bastard, that's just the brush she paints him with to avoid being placed in the role of Princess by a protective Prince.  (Her attraction to Akio survives worse revelations.)  Although part of Utena (she says it herself), wants to be a normal girl dating normal boys, she's not actually comfortable doing so.  When opportunities arise, Utena will find any reason to distance herself.  (Akio got her by being more subtle, making himself a friend and advisor first, and by not giving her any reason to feel that he wants her to change or be more feminine until they were far into the 'relationship.')

Touga and Utena are alike in ways and opposed in others.  I think the attraction and struggle between them is interesting.  I think they *could* make a good couple, but not in the time period presented in the series.  But the potential exists, that's what makes them such a dynamic pair.  (And Utena's not perfect, it's not just Touga that would need to learn to chill out.)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#10 | Back to Top01-10-2008 12:41:37 AM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Rhyaniwyn, you said everything I could not say. That is almost exactly how I feel about their physical relationship.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.

#11 | Back to Top01-10-2008 01:07:40 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The first time Utena forgot to take off her football cleats before walking across Touga's persian rugs, bitch is out of there.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#12 | Back to Top01-10-2008 04:29:36 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Would that be before or after she borrows his pants(hers were in the wash), breaks a Ming vase, and uses the last of his $28 shampoo?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#13 | Back to Top01-10-2008 07:06:39 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Bravo Rhyaniwyn!

#14 | Back to Top01-11-2008 01:06:02 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

I think sex between them would be really awkward somehow. 

Anyone fans of Buffy, when Cordillia and Wesley kissed?  I'm picturing that.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#15 | Back to Top01-11-2008 06:44:45 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

As mentioned in here already, every form of Utena is a different version. When I see the couple, I can only envision them together in the manga form. Manga!Touga and Anime!Touga are just too different from each other (to some extent). Manga!Touga is just more romanticized and more human; his actions and concerns made the coupling a little more justified.

The manga was my first exposure to Utena, actually, so I've also been a shipper ever since and even wrote my own fic (Roses Are Red, but it's not the best since I wrote it five years ago when I was fourteen). Still, after years of analysis and multiple viewings, my opinion of the two have changed. I get a little weirded out though reading fanfics of the couple in the anime's perspective. I can't really see them as a couple in the anime form. It has potential as Rhyaniwyn has mentioned though (which was a great analysis by the way). There are some really good fics, I must say. Anyone read Diana Silver's fics? Love's Honor in particular?

#16 | Back to Top01-11-2008 03:10:50 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

After their heart-to-heart in the Arena, imagine if Touga had chosen to throw in with Utena, tell her what he knew, and vow to help her--much like he did in the manga.  It's not OUT of character, it's just a bigger step.  Then imagine Utena had responded to his revelations with denial and to his profession of respect with suspicion and treated his desire to help with scorn.  Also in character, and somewhat understandable.  Then Touga would likely have duelled her for the same reasons...but his confession of affection would probably be viewed with a bit more sympathy.  In my opinion, that would have been just as legitimate and likely a course of events.

But Touga in the anime just doesn't get quite to that point.  I think his anime incarnation is more cynical than his manga version--making him a lot less likely to take chances like that.  Heck, even Touga realizes that part of his attraction to Utena is her relative unattainability.  (I feel that's evidenced by his conversations with Saionji about whether or not he's in love with Utena; he is, sorta, but he knows it's not pure love...it's influenced by un-admirable motives.  But since I don't believe in pure love, and I doubt Touga does either, I feel like it's as real a love as any.  As long as he's honest with himself.)

I've always seen them as a potential pair.  They'd compete for dominance, they'd fight over trivialities.  But it'd be passionate, I think.

Yeah...I just don't see it in the series--not at any time during the series or immediately after.  But their status as potential lovers is supported by the fact that they are, in some way or another, in both the movie and the manga.   In all 3 versions Utena is hostile toward Touga because she is attracted to him and (a) feels abandoned (b) is disgusted by his behavior (c) doesn't want him treating her like all the other girls (d) doesn't trust his motives.  And in all of the versions, there's something that interferes (aside from Anthy).  In the manga, Touga is Utena's love and idealized Prince, but he's dead and she has to move on and become her own person without him.  Something she does well.  In the manga, Utena "dies" because she is such a pure soul and she is to Touga what he is to her in the movie, in some ways.  In the series, they have an attraction fraught with misunderstandings and unwillingness to compromise.  But many elements of their personalities--and their Prince issues--echo each other, so they maintain a connection.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#17 | Back to Top01-11-2008 06:44:55 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Rae wrote:

There are some really good fics, I must say. Anyone read Diana Silver's fics? Love's Honor in particular?

I read it, printed it, and read it some more. I love that fic, and I like how it deeply romanticizes the UxT relationship.  I've always like the UxT relationship, nothing has changed that yet in the eight odd years I've been a fan of the show. I'm trying to think of why, though. I mean, in all fairness, no one is really "dating" in that show. But Ikuhara makes the anime a little more complex.

The manga had an almost entirely different plot line too. I don't ever remember Himemeya being Akio's sister. She was more like a tight compadre. Dios was the brother who she loved, and Akio was the man envious of his power. I dunno, I'm all confused now, I just woke up.

Last edited by Persephone (01-11-2008 06:49:56 PM)

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.

#18 | Back to Top01-11-2008 06:49:09 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

After their heart-to-heart in the Arena, imagine if Touga had chosen to throw in with Utena, tell her what he knew, and vow to help her--much like he did in the manga.  It's not OUT of character, it's just a bigger step.  Then imagine Utena had responded to his revelations with denial and to his profession of respect with suspicion and treated his desire to help with scorn.  Also in character, and somewhat understandable.  Then Touga would likely have duelled her for the same reasons...but his confession of affection would probably be viewed with a bit more sympathy.  In my opinion, that would have been just as legitimate and likely a course of events.

But Touga in the anime just doesn't get quite to that point.  I think his anime incarnation is more cynical than his manga version--making him a lot less likely to take chances like that.  Heck, even Touga realizes that part of his attraction to Utena is her relative unattainability.  (I feel that's evidenced by his conversations with Saionji about whether or not he's in love with Utena; he is, sorta, but he knows it's not pure love...it's influenced by un-admirable motives.  But since I don't believe in pure love, and I doubt Touga does either, I feel like it's as real a love as any.  As long as he's honest with himself.)

I've always seen them as a potential pair.  They'd compete for dominance, they'd fight over trivialities.  But it'd be passionate, I think.

Yeah...I just don't see it in the series--not at any time during the series or immediately after.  But their status as potential lovers is supported by the fact that they are, in some way or another, in both the movie and the manga.   In all 3 versions Utena is hostile toward Touga because she is attracted to him and (a) feels abandoned (b) is disgusted by his behavior (c) doesn't want him treating her like all the other girls (d) doesn't trust his motives.  And in all of the versions, there's something that interferes (aside from Anthy).  In the manga, Touga is Utena's love and idealized Prince, but he's dead and she has to move on and become her own person without him.  Something she does well.  In the manga, Utena "dies" because she is such a pure soul and she is to Touga what he is to her in the movie, in some ways.  In the series, they have an attraction fraught with misunderstandings and unwillingness to compromise.  But many elements of their personalities--and their Prince issues--echo each other, so they maintain a connection.

That could be said of many other character relationships within the utena series, of course the only one that makes sense is the UtenaxAnthy. Hey, and juri was in love with touga in the manga, I don't believe the locket appeared until the anime.  GAH!

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.

#19 | Back to Top01-11-2008 07:23:59 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Persephone wrote:

The manga had an almost entirely different plot line too. I don't ever remember Himemeya being Akio's sister. She was more like a tight compadre. Dios was the brother who she loved, and Akio was the man envious of his power. I dunno, I'm all confused now, I just woke up.

You got it right, actually. Dios and Akio were split into two; light and dark. (Goes back to reading the manga).

#20 | Back to Top01-11-2008 08:27:58 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

The manga made it clear that Akio and Anthy were brother and sister. (Both of them said so.) No incest is mentioned although there are a couple of hints.

Manga Touga realized before the end that he had been deceived and found the courage to admit it and tried unsuccessfully to open Utena's eyes. Anime Touga could not quite find enough courage to admit he was in way over his head and did not really try to tell Utena what she was up against because he did not want to admit out loud what a gullible fool he had been.

Last edited by brian (01-11-2008 08:28:30 PM)

#21 | Back to Top01-24-2008 04:25:11 PM

dabouse1
Touga Topper

Regarding the anime, I'm not even sure if anyone in the show really romantically "loved" another character.  Even with UtenaxAnthy (which is my favorite), I'm still trying to squint to see if they thought of each other as lovers. (Sure there were implications, but there were implications toward a lot of other couples that weren't "canon," like JurixRuka and NanamixTsu.) 

With Touga, I always guessed that he was merely attracted to Utena because the relationship he had with her was healthy (carrot!), and not just "Touga, look at me, I love you!" like it was with most other girls he's been spoiled with.  The Shadow Girls' play about the "cool fisher who saw a koi in the ocean" and Touga even carrying a carrot made me see this couple as a good change for Touga -- and he saw this as the closest thing to romantic love as it could get.  Then, with his new feelings (and respect?) for Utena, he tries to save her with mostly good intentions.

Though I don't think he wants to make Utena a princess.  When he rides a horse with her (that makes me think of other things...), he's not trying to act sexy; but he's actually being a bit rough and playful (almost causing her death, but hey).  I think he likes her princliness and strength, otherwise he wouldn't have looked so distressed when Akio (mockingly?) says that Utena would soon make a good princess.  Then this whole scene with Touga holding a cacti with a flower on top blooming appears.  He realizes that he genuinely likes Utena, and not just because he wants to tap that.  He admires her, and probably respects her (or at least wants to protect her nobility, or what he sees beautiful in her).  And like everyone just said, he just realized that.

Though I can't really see them together, I can't see any of the SKU characters together.  Seriously.  They're all pretty much disfunctional when it comes to social relationships that (within the time-frame of the series) none of them are really ready to be "in" a relationship.  Though that's the whole point of SKU. school-sherlock

Board footer