This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top02-06-2009 04:53:53 PM

Etrangere
Rose Smilee
Website

Re: If other duelists possessed Anthy...

Yasha wrote:

Etrangere wrote:

So you don't think jealousy and spite enter into it?

I mean, I like Ruka, but that's a fairly idealist view of him.

I think you missed this part:

Ragnarok wrote:

From his point of view, definitely.

No one ever thinks they're being jealous and spiteful, even when objectively they are.

A lot of people don't, it's true. But some people are lucid enough to. Actually Ruka strikes me as the kind of character likely to be lucid about this.

Also, 'being mean' to fictional characters is bullshit. They don't care. But I'm tired of character crusaders getting their feathers ruffled at other peoples' valid opinions. Please. We're all mature people here, and none of us are out to get each other. Relax.

Did I use the word "being mean" to any fictional character.
Did I ask for an apology? I made a remark that bears to the interpretation of Ruka's characterisation. I think that's pretty in topic.

Yes. You shouldn't be suspicious of Anthy. Her big brother is your watching. There is no war in Ba Sing Se. ~ Dalbun

#27 | Back to Top02-06-2009 07:50:59 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Etrangere wrote:

Did I use the word "being mean" to any fictional character.
Did I ask for an apology? I made a remark that bears to the interpretation of Ruka's characterisation. I think that's pretty in topic.

What you said made Riri feel like she was 'being mean' when she expressed an opinion about a character, and that's completely opposite to the spirit of discussion-- I notice she dropped out of the discussion afterward. So next time, don't ask a question that implies that you are offended if you aren't actually offended. If you want discussion, you have to work to promote it.

There is more than enough paranoia about the whole Shiori thing here, and I'm totally and incredibly sick of it. If we all treat the subject with maturity and the people with respect, hopefully someday we can actually post opinions without hurt feelings or crusading. Etrangere, you may not have meant to, but you are contributing to this problem.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#28 | Back to Top02-06-2009 08:07:50 PM

Etrangere
Rose Smilee
Website

Yasha, answered with a PM since we are getting OT.

Riri, I was not offended by your comment (maybe a little bit annoyed, as I am with most kinds of character bashing, but that's the realm of a fair deal), and I didn't feel like an apology was needed of you. Please, get back to the discussion if you had left it on my account.

Yes. You shouldn't be suspicious of Anthy. Her big brother is your watching. There is no war in Ba Sing Se. ~ Dalbun

#29 | Back to Top02-06-2009 08:11:22 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Thank you, sweetie.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#30 | Back to Top02-06-2009 08:22:35 PM

Etrangere
Rose Smilee
Website

Don't call me sweetie.

Did you actually recieve my PM? It's not showing on my sent message emot-confused

#31 | Back to Top02-06-2009 08:23:56 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Nope. Also, sorry, the endearments are a habit.

#32 | Back to Top02-06-2009 08:24:20 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

For some reason, when I think of Touga being engaged to the rose bride it strikes me that she would have the most trouble manipulating/being passive aggressive to him. Maybe its because in the series he isn't seen with as many weaknesses over other people such as Saionji (well, to Anthy and Touga), Juri, and Miki.. he just likes himself. Perhaps she would make subtle jabs about power, I'm not sure. I'm sure there is something she would have been able to find, but his insecurities seem less obvious.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (02-06-2009 09:32:41 PM)

#33 | Back to Top02-06-2009 09:01:51 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

That's a good point. Touga's a clever guy, so Anthy would probably make sure to be extra nice around him.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#34 | Back to Top02-07-2009 08:05:14 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

That's a good point. Touga's a clever guy, so Anthy would probably make sure to be extra nice around him.

Y'know, I get the feeling that Touga and Anthy would mostly ignore each other. I can see him making a few sarcastic jibes if he caught her up to any manipulation, and her making a couple of snide remarks about Nanami, but for the most part they'd probs just stay out of each other's little webs.
That was just my feeling, anyway.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#35 | Back to Top02-07-2009 12:53:17 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I love the idea of Nanami possessing Anthy.

Really?  What could she do to Anthy?  Ostracize her like she did with Keiko?  Anthy likes solitude.  Try and get her to perform pointless tasks for her?  That would mean Anthy would have to be around Nanami, which Nanami no like. And yet, of course Nanami wants some kind of petty revenge.

The farthest I can get is that she will make a plan:

Step one)  Order Anthy to stay the hell away from her brother.
Step two)  Order Anthy to act like a complete whore and bitch to everyone at the school, including Utena, so that the world will finally know how evil and unpretty she truly is! 

And she shall call this plan, "Anthy is an anti-social freak who is really mean and dumb to everybody and they never knew until now!"

And other than that, completely ignore Anthy's existence.  The Rosebride never mattered to Nanami, anyway.  In fact, I think it would be quite interesting to see a pre-Akio Arc Nanami win Anthy, only to have her brother ask her to purposefully lose her to him.

#36 | Back to Top02-09-2009 12:03:38 AM

hollow_rose
Egghead

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

For some reason, when I think of Touga being engaged to the rose bride it strikes me that she would have the most trouble manipulating/being passive aggressive to him. Maybe its because in the series he isn't seen with as many weaknesses over other people such as Saionji (well, to Anthy and Touga), Juri, and Miki.. he just likes himself. Perhaps she would make subtle jabs about power, I'm not sure. I'm sure there is something she would have been able to find, but his insecurities seem less obvious.

Unless you bring in the movie background. Then anthy would have tons of Touga issues to work through.

20 threads dead so far.

Board footer