This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1051 | Back to Top11-06-2014 09:12:12 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Re: MOTHER EFFING YAH MINECRAFT THREAD

Now I'm really torn.

I want to finish the build(s) I'm working on, to finish up the Council of Nations, the road system (guys, let me know if there's a build you do/do not want a road to!  And Sat, I found Logos Technic, if you still want me to hook it up, I can put that on my list of priorities) to build a menagerie for Corintia, as well as all sorts of other things…

But if there's a major server project, it might be fun to hop over to survival mode, if I can get a hold of Bio and he doesn't mind my indecisiveness.

Hmm…

I'm torn.

How much does anyone actually want a Council of Nations?  And would they be willing to maybe pitch in to help get it done?  Argh.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#1052 | Back to Top11-06-2014 10:24:21 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

sat, I'd worried about having that side-thread in GD, so thank-you for suggesting a home in SIL for it! emot-keke

And yes, at least one Pathway needs to be constructed before any other buildings can be worked on. You can decide on straightaways, T-bends, L-bends or crossways. All cost the same in tribute.

Kita, keep in mind just because you can't offer tribute, doesn't mean you can't help us decide which way this goes. That said, if you'd like me to pop you in Survival, and I just provide materials on a regular basis, that can be done as well. I'd not want you to forsake the Council building or Corintha, but neither would I want you to feel left out, yes? emot-keke If that arrangement works, PM me a list of stuff you use on a regular basis and I'll stock chests up as I can. emot-dance

(And while the Elizea Prefecture won't be part of the Council, Travincal definitely will be, so I'd be willing to pitch in what's necessary! emot-keke) That said, I'd personally prefer that no roads be built to the Matango Colony or Travincal, merely because seriously, you'd like. Five thousand blocks to pave for both. Easier to make teleports.

Kiseki, you're a Survival user. You're more than welcome to help contribute! emot-keke

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#1053 | Back to Top11-06-2014 10:39:11 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Kita, I still think the Council of Nations is a really cool idea, and if there's a way I can help, I'm happy to!  My original architecture tends to look... not very good... but if I'm in Creative and I have a model to work off of, or something, I might be able to speed things up!  I'd love to have that road, but it's liable to be a long one, so it doesn't have to be at the top of the list. emot-smile

#1054 | Back to Top11-07-2014 11:37:22 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

It's great to see support for the Council!  I will definitely keep working on it, and there's one project in particular that I want to get done pretty soon.  Like, next couple of days soon.  But it's small.  I feel like maybe this Travincal project will be around long enough that I can wrap up the Council, and then switch to survival for a while.  I've been wanting to hammer out Corinthia's industrial sector for a while anyways.  Thanks for the survival + materials offer, Bio, but this project pretty much necessitates flight, otherwise it'll take like ten times longer with the scaffolding.

Also, if anyone wants to pitch in, I'm setting up a workers' pavilion, which will have things like food, tools, and a bed if you want to set the Council as your spawn point before the transport chamber is installed.  If you help and you're in survival, I'll probably have you digging.  There is a LOT of digging, both through dirt and stone.  You'll probably have to catch me on the server and have me tell you where to dig, though, and I haven't even got it all sorted out yet, so be warned.  In the future, I might be able to use some help landscaping, mountain-sculpting, installing furniture, and hammering out plans and interior decorating.

I'm planning the Council to be able to hold a total of 16 member nations.  I'm pretty sure we don't have that many people on the server, so… I dunno.  Maybe it'll be future proof.  Maybe you'll be able to have multiple nations in the Council, but only one would be considered a full voting member, and the others are advisory.  Maybe some blend of the two.  But there are 16 seats in the Council Chamber, there will be 16 offices for delegates, so on and so forth.

And since there are banners now, there is totally going to be a Pavilion of Flags.  So if you're a member nation, or representing a member nation, you might want to get a flag ready.  I'll make some sort of flag room with everything necessary for flag-crafting and labeled chests to stick your flags in, (since if you have a flag, it's easy to replicate it) but that might be a little ways down the line, since I don't even know where I'd put it in the current layout.

But if you don't want to wait, you can post a picture of your flag with a list of the color elements on it, and I'll consider that flag your nation's, and stick one in the flag storage room in your nation's chest when we get to that.

So, here is Corinthia's flag.

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t562/kitaysabell/CorinthiaFlag_zps13ab0ef1.png

No, I am not at all excited about the new door options, what are you talking about?

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#1055 | Back to Top11-07-2014 12:48:20 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Update for a link! emot-keke

If you're interested in restoring Kurast's glory, visit this thread! emot-keke

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#1056 | Back to Top11-07-2014 08:43:37 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Hey all, double-post for justice and all.

You've all noticed the crappy connection issues with the server by now. I'd taken the liberty of looking at Mojang's issue-tracking JIRA system. Query searching for all unresolved 1.8 server issues.

Seems there's a major memory leak bug that lots of people have been reporting, that seems localized to 1.8 itself and subsequent snapshots. So far this is not an issue either Aine nor I can repair, as quite obviously we don't work for Mojang. And neither of us know enough about Java to attempt any temporary workarounds.

If anybody has further connection issues, please notify me or Aine, and we'll look at rebooting the server. If we need to completely shut it down long-term, one of us will post here and in server chat before we do so. That's a worst-case thing, though, and we're going to try our best not to need to do so.

Again, apologies for the service interruptions, and thanks always for hanging in there with us. emot-keke

#1057 | Back to Top11-07-2014 08:50:05 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Well, last night Kita and I were playing, and I got booted -- apparently lagging out -- and Kita didn't.  My Internet was fine; the only thing I couldn't do was play Minecraft.  Ten or fifteen minutes later, it worked again.  I wasn't going to mention it, but you said to.  emot-tongue  I hope this helps if you're thinking of doing forensics!

#1058 | Back to Top11-07-2014 09:13:53 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Seems fairly consistent with what others have reported on the JIRA tracker. Thank you, sat. I'll review the server's logs and see what's going on there. emot-keke

#1059 | Back to Top11-08-2014 11:39:24 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I've got the teleport chamber for the Council pretty much set up, it's around X,Y,Z: (1105/76/-749)

So, Bio, in amongst all the other stuff, could you set up a link to the Central Transfer Station there somewhere, when you get around to it?  All walls but the wall opposite the door have limited space for messing around with, but the floor's got nothing beneath it, and you should have 1-2 block clearance on the other walls, but you might have to work around the lighting.

Thanks!

edit:  Hey, Bio, is it vital to the operations of the teleport that the button be placed on a lapis block?  Like, could it be placed on a quartz block?  Or a block of clay stained one of the three colors I'm using for the Council?  And how much trouble would I be getting myself into if I tried to change this on my own?

Last edited by Kita-Ysabell (11-08-2014 04:00:37 PM)

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#1060 | Back to Top11-08-2014 04:45:56 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I would prefer the lapis block stays, since my texture for it is John Smith Legacy and I like it. That's the only reason. As long as it's not something like a redstone block, we're actually golden. (Hmm, golden. Gold blocks could work, right? emot-keke) That said, I put forth a motion to all y'alls, a proposal that all lapis teleports on the server are replaced with another suitable block.

#1061 | Back to Top11-11-2014 01:20:43 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Sorry, Bio, I had to maintain the integrity of my slightly awful retro color scheme.

Also, I have created a Veterans' Memorial Garden outside the Council of Nations, in honor of the season.

And now I'm getting a "cannot connect to server" message from the multiplayer menu.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#1062 | Back to Top11-11-2014 05:57:46 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

And now I'm getting a "cannot connect to server" message from the multiplayer menu.

Ditto that!

#1063 | Back to Top11-11-2014 06:47:36 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Server rebooted from offline state.

#1064 | Back to Top11-11-2014 08:00:52 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

After an hour or two of Googling solutions to our server leak issue, and pulling up results, I believe the Minecraft community has pinpointed the issue. It seems (okay, it's actually true) that 1.8 renders in a completely different way from all prior versions to-date. This is efficient... if they'd tested the damn algorithms adequately. Our issue here, dear forumites, is the water being rendered. Which I honestly should've realized the second I ran into stuttery lagging with an experimental submarine build for Aine.

Anyway. The solution here branches. Aine and I are discussing it as I post this, and both branches involve OptiFine. Our thing here is, either we all install it client-side (which is all well and good, nothing wrong with OptiFine really) or we (that being Aine and myself) attempt to install it server-side. Which, as many oldbies on the Curse Forums will tell you, is completely impossible and unneeded anyway.

The benefits of client side are – besides less work for the sysops – that the server doesn't need to potentially face being corrupted. Or the world. Or the user database. Or... well, lots of things. And hey, you'll have OptiFine for your SSP work, what more incentive do we need, eh? emot-keke

The drawbacks are... yeah, horribly incovenient if all you're trying to do is connect to Sunlit Garden. Potential Forge/ModLoader breaks, potential FTB breaks, potential mod conflicts all around. And the latest version for 1.8 is a preview version, not wholly finished.

The benefits of server side are smooth server sailing and no worries about needing to load OptiFine or breaking your mods, since mods won't work on the server anyway.

The drawbacks are more complications, really, and the biggest thing: we don't know if it'll even work server-side. Everything I've read so far indicates it's impossible to do so. I'm no professional coder. I'm not even an amateur/hobbyist coder. (Can't speak for Aine. emot-tongue )

I'm certain they'll be popping in here sooner or later to discuss it all. That said, my vote is nay, precisely because of "we could fuck the server up royally" and because Bio is a lazy thing who doesn't like doing work. (What? >>;;; )

#1065 | Back to Top11-11-2014 09:39:50 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Or we wait for Mojang to patch it, then update the server, I suppose.

For my part, I'm happy to install OptiFine if that'll fix the problem -- I ordinarily play vanilla on The Sunlit Garden -- but I'd prefer to wait for a stable release rather than the preview version.

#1066 | Back to Top11-12-2014 10:09:11 PM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

Hi everyone. I'm back after disappearing for months. AND I've been neglecting my duties in Corinthia, sorry.

I logged in tonight, and promptly did something silly, which was to teleport to one of the Flora Fields and get lost. I didn't see any buttons back to the CTC. Searched around but still no luck. Can anyone offer suggestions?

#1067 | Back to Top11-12-2014 11:20:39 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I signed on to go get you some coordinates, and the same thing happened to me. emot-rofl

Bio has redesigned the teleport chamber, and it's beautiful, but he added a teleport to the South Flora Fields around (0,2260) that doesn't appear to have a partner to teleport you back.  (Or maybe it does but I am dumb, which happens a lot.)  I got home with the help of some friendly lava.  Then I started trying the other teleport points to find one whose coordinates might be near (0,2260).  I tried the spawn point, and discovered that I absolutely, positively cannot leave the spawn hut.  I cannot pass the plane of the door, and the building is indestructible.  I also cannot open the chests.  I attempted to drown myself using a bucket of water, but the spawn hut ate the water.  The ceiling is too low for me to shoot myself with arrows.  I await rescue or starvation.

The short answer is that I can't help you. emot-rofl  As a general rule, when lost, move towards the origin.

#1068 | Back to Top11-13-2014 08:30:53 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

The South Flora Fields is a legit oops on Bio's part, indeed. I forgot to pull the button out as a warning. My bad! emot-redface I will do so as soon as I could. That said, I will install a teleport back to the chamber soon as I can. And the East Flora Fields do have a teleport right behind you when you spawn in. I need to figure out yaw/pitch settings and add them to the teleports for more sensibility. Also more irritation, but hey, the fact the teleports don't reorient you automatically is irritation in itself. >>;;;

(also, thank you for noticing I've become a prismarine addict~ emot-tongue it used to be acacia, and before that stone bricks... well, okay, the stone bricks'll never change.)

The spawn hut being unleavable is... that might be a setting in the vanilla configs, which Aine and/or I will have to track down and, if it is set unexpectedly, figure out why and whether it's needed. I'll discuss it with them later.

EDIT: Adjusted the rotation of all teleports. Renamed the Central Transfer Chamber to just "Transfer Chamber." Remodeled all teleports. Everything in the Transfer Chamber has a link back to it now, or should. Doubled the Chamber's location capacity. Reorganized a few places. Adjusted some coordinates.

Still need to double-check spawn settings in the config files. u_u

Last edited by BioKraze (11-13-2014 10:57:19 AM)

#1069 | Back to Top11-13-2014 09:17:29 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

As far as server shenanigans go, I do not consider myself well-enough informed to decide what to do about them.  Just let me know what I need to do to get the thing running once it's fixed.

Also, what do people want in the way of accommodations for delegates at the Council of Nations?  Right now, I'm going with just an office for each delegate and a shared common room.  There will be food provided in the common room, but no beds anywhere once the workers' pavilion gets cleared away.  If anyone wants more than that, I'll see what I can do.  There's a model office (I'll leave decor up to the delegates, but fill in with quartz framing for now) off the hallway to the south side of the entrance hall.  It's the second door on the left- the first one goes to a staircase.  If you like, you can take a look and see what you think of the size.

Lastly, the banner-making and storage room is complete.  It's located under the mezzanine level of the main entrance.  To get there from the teleport destination, leave the room into the spiral staircase, heading right.  Take a right at the hall that intersects the hall you're in, and the door will be on your right at the end of the hall.  From the main entrance, take the door on the left side of the mezzanine, go down the spiral stairs to the area outside the teleport destination room, and continue from there.

There should be a decent amount of banner-making supplies in the chest.  I'll try to refill it if it gets low- banners take a lot of dye, so I wouldn't rule out running through what I've got in there.  If you've got any questions about banner-making, you can consult this guide.  Once you have a banner, make a copy (blank banner of same base color+your banner= your banner + your banner copy) and stick it in a chest in the same room.  Take the sign over the chest and replace it with the name of your member nation.

Please note that I might not get around to the flag pavilion for a while.  We'll see.

Last edited by Kita-Ysabell (11-13-2014 11:42:01 PM)

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#1070 | Back to Top11-14-2014 12:42:28 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I've already made a flag for you, as a matter of fact! emot-biggrin  I will drop it off as soon as I am able to leave the spawn hut.

#1071 | Back to Top11-14-2014 07:42:51 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Reasonably certain we have spawn protection enabled because we have opped users. We de-op everybody, we have no spawn protection. We can't disable it whatsoever, according to the Minecraft Wiki at Gamepedia. We can reduce the radius to the block we all spawn on top of, but that's an Aine Decision, not a Bio Decision.

I'll bother them about it when I see them online today.

#1072 | Back to Top11-14-2014 11:12:42 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Bio, could you create some sort of suicide button in the meantime?  Like, some fire, or lava, or an arrow trap or something?  Or would the protections on spawn make that not work?

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#1073 | Back to Top11-14-2014 02:46:08 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

That should be easy with a command block. Just wire it to "/kill @p" and test it myself.

EDIT: Oh, even better. Wire a relative /tp command to it. Can't get back in, but at least you can get out. Companion block to be released soonish!

Last edited by BioKraze (11-14-2014 03:58:30 PM)

#1074 | Back to Top11-14-2014 09:25:50 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Thank you, Bio!  etc-love

Claymore, if you're still having trouble, I'm afraid I can't find a teleport point that's close to you.  I suggest either teleport-by-way-of-suicide or making your way to (260,113).  It's a couple of kilometers across tough terrain.  Sound like fun?  emot-wink

Kita, I've dropped off my flag!

#1075 | Back to Top11-15-2014 01:35:08 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

So there I was, making an unnecessarily complex apparatus to conduct votes securely from the Council of Nations' assembly room to its vote vault, and I'd finally cracked the self-created problem just as the server announced five minutes until its 3 AM reset.  I finished it up in a hurry, hooked everything up, and hit the switch with two minutes to spare.

It didn't work, of course.  It turns out that blocks can power pistons diagonally in Minecraft given a block update, even though nothing else works that way.  I signed off before the server reset, but without fixing the problem, and now there is a hole in Kita's floor that I can't fix until it comes back online. emot-frown  Tomorrow I'll most likely swap the whole thing out with a simpler design.  But still not a minimalistic design.  Because where would the fun be in that?

Sorry about the hole in the floor, Kita!

Board footer