This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#2051 | Back to Top03-18-2014 09:05:56 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Re: Current Anime

^ love The Wallflower. Don't change, Sunako, you are already the perfect lady.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#2052 | Back to Top03-19-2014 01:10:54 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

Here is another favorite I have in my collection. I also have both soundtracks in triplicate!

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#2053 | Back to Top03-27-2014 02:49:01 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Syora wrote:

hayama wrote:

Just finished Nana. I enjoyed the show a lot, although sometimes the drama was a little silly. Disappointed that they probably won't make a second series, considering how long it's been since the first came out. I suppose that to get more answers as to what happens to the characters I'll have to read the manga :sigh

Ai Yazawa is still recovering from illness, and NANA has been on hiatus for the past three years. I'm still crossing my fingers that she'll get better enough to continue, but there is a good chance she might not ever come back to work.

emot-frown

I'm currently watching Nana and I just finished ep. 33. Am I the only one who likes Takumi more than Nobu? I just cannot bring myself to like people who give up, no matter how sweet and nice they are.

#2054 | Back to Top03-28-2014 11:35:52 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

What's up with so much of this last year's best anime being so retro? Kill la Kill, Golden Time...

Reminds me of the last big wave of retro-styled anime in the mid-90s (Eva, Nadesico, Utena), but makes me wonder if there's something social or political going on in Japan that motivates the tendency.

(Or, am I just selecting out the retro-friendly anime and calling it "the best"?)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2055 | Back to Top03-28-2014 06:27:56 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Maybe the rising tensions over the Sengaku islnads? Or its an aging population that wants too look back into the past?

#2056 | Back to Top03-29-2014 08:43:49 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

gpink wrote:

Or its an aging population that wants too look back into the past?

That would explain the VHS-fastforward-style streaks to imply a fast-moving scene.

And, on rewatching some mid-season episodes, I can't believe I missed the Akio car and Mako's total enthusiasm about riding in a car with such a bouncy backseat.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2057 | Back to Top03-29-2014 12:47:29 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Finished the first season of Attack on Titan. I liked it fair enough, had some issues with it development wise but still liked it enough to want to get into the manga [What the fuck is in the basement???]. Waiting for the second season.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#2058 | Back to Top03-31-2014 05:53:03 PM

McGreddy
Saionji Slapper

Because of things kind of personal, I've had a lot of free time lately, and so I've been watching a lot of cartoons. I tried Nisekoi, but found it too tropey for my tastes. It had promise, but 3 episodes in only one Yakuza/Gangster character had a name. That is far too little Yakuza/Gangsters given that show's premise. Recently finished KLK and S1 of Space Dandy. Now I'm watching Kids on the Slope with my mom right now. rewatching Utena seperately with two different friends, and on my own I'm switching between Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon R, and Penguindrum, depending on how I'm feeling -- though some of those aren't exactly current.

#2059 | Back to Top04-05-2014 05:10:49 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Ahh, after nearly a full decade, the new season of Mushishi has finally begun airing. It's gonna be a nice way to cool down at the end of the week, for the next couple months.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#2060 | Back to Top04-11-2014 02:48:16 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Is anyone else watching Akuma No Riddle? I'm really loving it so far! The plot is a little murky... it seems to be like a Battle Royaleish situation?... but hopefully it will clear itself up later. Besides that though, I'm really loving the relationship between the two main girls so far. It's nice to have a new yuri series, especially after the let down (for me anyway) that was Sakura Kiss.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#2061 | Back to Top04-12-2014 06:50:06 AM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

I've love to watch Akuma no Riddle, but sadly, none of the legal streaming sites it's on are making it available to my country. emot-frown It's a shame, because I was really looking forward to a yuri anime based on a manga that was co-created by Yun Kouga. (The UK never seems to get the yuri shows...)

One of the shows I am watching this season, though, is Captain Earth. It's from many of the same people who made Star Driver, which means that its screenwriter is Enokido! The second episode will be available later today; I'm looking forward to it. emot-biggrin

#2062 | Back to Top04-13-2014 08:36:45 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

I'm watching Wixoss right now. It looks to be a promising series. If not pretty at the very least.

I've love to watch Akuma no Riddle, but sadly, none of the legal streaming sites it's on are making it available to my country.

Could you use a proxy to get around that? I've never had video blocked in my country so I wouldn't know.

#2063 | Back to Top04-14-2014 12:24:16 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I took a look and found these directions on another message board:

1. Get Firefox
2. Download & Install “Modify-Headers”
3. Go to Tools -> Modify Headers
4. Click Configuration and check Always On: Enable … and Open Modify Headers ….
5. At the top select “Add” from the drop down list. Type in X-Forwarded-For in the field to the left of the drop down list and 12.13.14.15 in the other one. Nvm the third field
6. Press “Add” and select your new lines and press Enable/disable if it isn’t already enabled.

Not sure how well it works, as I've never tried it myself. Some people on the message board claim it works for Funimation and not Crunchyroll, but since Akuma No Riddle is streaming on Funimation you would be in luck if it worked. Another site said Mediahint could get you around a region block.

#2064 | Back to Top04-23-2014 12:43:40 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Ai no Kusabi remastered. I am very disappointed by the fact they made only 4 episodes. etc-saiowank

I'm currently reading the novel too and I think it will be my favorite yaoi ever. Maybe I over-interpret it, but to me it's about the dilemma of freedom vs. security. Everyone is trapped, somehow. Iason is technically free, but he's still bound by the social rules, social pressure. I love the plot of Guy's perspective and I find that very rare to create such deep non-protagonists in yaoi. It made story more complex and psychological.

#2065 | Back to Top04-27-2014 01:25:07 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Now that I'm done with Kill la Kill, I've been watching the Anime adaption of JoJo's Bizarre adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders done by David Productions, the same studio responsible for the adapting Part 1 and 2 of the original manga thought Stardust Crusaders has a significant increase in production values compared to the Terrible animation Part 1 and 2 had.

Stardust Crusaders as a standalone story is about Jotaro Kujo quest to Defeat Dio and rid his Mother, Holly Kujo of Dio's curse when he merged his decapitated head with Jonathan Joestar body who is Jotaro's Great-Great Grandfather which was that anyone in the Joestar line will develop a stand which is the manifestation of a person's soul that can be use for Fighting or Utility use; the problem with Stands is that when someone who does't the strength to manipulate it, it can harm him/her physically with disease like symptoms which is the case with Holly.

So Jotaro Kujo along with his grandfather Joseph Joestar, his associate Muhammad Avdol with Noriaki Kakyoin tagging along for ride departed for Egypt when Star platinum Jotaro's stand along with Kakyoin identified Dio location.

As of this post, It's been three days since the fourth episode was simulcasted on CrunchyRoll.com, all of the episodes up until this point been pretty consistent animation wise with great character artwork in comparison to the horrible artwork that the previous anime had especially with Part 1 with it's horrible facial design and Janky animation; the pacing has been pretty good so far with minimal filler thought that might change when we move beyond the introductory episodes(Episodes 1-3) since the manga from what I heard uses a Stand of week format which could make or break this anime on it own merits since the monster of the week format tends to be really repetitive unless the fights themselves were engaging as the ones in Battle Tendency.

I'd recommend that watch the 2012 adaptions of Parts 1 and 2 in order to understand some of the plot points because they heavily relate to characters previously establish characters from those 2 parts but that does't mean that you can't watch this anime without seeing the anime that came before because it's a self-contained with more new characters then old ones but you may need to watch the previous parts to get a better understanding of some of these characters and their's motivations.

Last edited by Rosesareawesome101 (04-27-2014 01:27:24 PM)

#2066 | Back to Top04-27-2014 04:48:19 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I'm not sure what my feelings are about today's cast announcements for the new Sailor Moon (not to mention the character designs presented). All I can do is watch the calendar flip towards July 5th and see what actually happens.

Speaking of countdowns, just 5 days left to pledge for Dear Brother/Onii-sama e at Anime Sols: http://animesols.com/video_sets/26

#2067 | Back to Top04-28-2014 12:35:16 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Some good friends shanghaied me and forced me, Clockwork Orange-style, to watch S01E01 of Archer. I rather enjoy it. I just devoured the rest of season 1. It reminds me of a good Will Ferrell movie. (Stick with me on this one, because a lot of you probably just headed for the exit.) A good Will Ferrell movie is one in which Will Ferrell is not the only idiot man-child in a sane world surrounded by sane people.* A good Will Ferrell movie is one in which Will Ferrell is insane, but so are the people around him, and there's a sort of batshit crazy manic energy that propels the ensemble into ever more ludicrous situations. Archer is like that.

(* That movie was Kicking and Screaming, which is a terrible, terrible, terrible film.)

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#2068 | Back to Top04-28-2014 12:41:54 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

I love Archer. Having said that, I found the most recent season a little underwhelming. S1-4 are gold.

My favorite character is Krieger, naturally.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#2069 | Back to Top05-19-2014 01:31:21 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I started watching Selector Infected Wixoss. I wasn't expecting much out of it, but it's turning out to be really good!  It's kind of like Yugioh-meets-Madoka. Basically, it's about these girls who get into this card game. Some of the girls have special cards and they become "selectors" - girls who are competing to become something called Eternal Girls, which we don't know much about so far, but it means their wish will be granted if they win enough games. If they lose three games, they're out of the running. The show took a  dark turn and I'm enjoying it a lot.

While I loved Akuma No Riddle in the beginning, it's been kind of disappointing so far. It's not really bad, necessarily, but I think it could be executed a lot better, so it's frustrating. It's very formulaic and follows a lot of cliches and tropes. Sigh. I still like it, but I'm definitely not as excited about it as I was.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (05-19-2014 01:34:49 PM)

#2070 | Back to Top06-11-2014 07:24:37 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I've finally decided to join the rest of the world and watch Attack on Titan. I'm writing recaps for the sake of my RL friends, most of whom have seen the show, and I'm having a blast doing it.

I wasn't expecting to break out teh Nietzsche QUITE so soon, though...

#2071 | Back to Top06-12-2014 08:56:18 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

The Tatami Galaxy got me hooked. I thought I'd find the art style distracting from the whole experience but it's just lovely. The pace of the dialogue (or monologue, more correctly) is somewhat like Bakemonogatari, but I've found it has a more natural flow and is not pretentious at all (just a personal opinion, Bakemonogatari never grew on me).
And I'm probably the only person who finds the MC insanely adorable in his occasional idiocy.
I definitely recommend it, a perfectly smart and delicious summery anime.

#2072 | Back to Top07-13-2014 09:46:03 AM

Aninha
Juri Jeerer

I'm currently watching Oniisama e (loving it too, it's great to watch stuff that's mostly character driven) and I'm thinking on starting Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin. cool

#2073 | Back to Top07-13-2014 10:00:17 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

I was recently pressured into picking up Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. I really didn't want to see it since I'd seen an older OVA of the same events and I was sorely disappointed. It just took everything so seriously, no matter how ridiculous it was, that I couldn't enjoy it at all.

But the way they did this version was perfect. The staff knew that everything about it is silly to the core, so they made it self-aware and genuinely funny. Christ, that cherry in the ninth episode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ-g0BdpbDM

Look at it. Look at it! LOOOOOOOOOOOOK!!!

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#2074 | Back to Top07-13-2014 10:25:43 PM

yusaku
String Theorist

Very random, funny, and stupid is one silly anime parody that when taken lightly is a lot of fun. The Funimation crew was good enough to allow the series to free on youtube!

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#2075 | Back to Top07-15-2014 04:42:07 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

I very much like excel saga and I'm actually re watching the series. I still don't get half of the references but they are not so deep that you can't just laugh at the random moments that happen to be a parody. I would also recommend the manga. Both works ended up taking different directions.

Board footer