This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-29-2006 09:46:39 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Cosplayers/Sewers Thread!

Hey you cosplayers!  Hey you sewing fans!

I love cosplay.  It's so incredibly fun.  So, due to the fact that I'm not the only one who likes cosplay, I decided to start a thread where YOU the cosplay/sewing fan can talk about sewing, post patterns for things (that would rock), post pictures of you in clothes you have created, and talk about cosplaying in general!

WOOOHOO!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#2 | Back to Top11-29-2006 10:14:42 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Re: Cosplayers/Sewers Thread!

Okay, i'm working in a Mikage cosplay for March 8D i'm using this wig http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/8171/mikage21xz1.th.jpg

Amazing huh?

And me with a costume: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/4748/1151803965fpg4.th.jpg

Do you think i can get nice results?

I'm darky-skinned u_u and Mamiya cosplay would fit me better but... nah, i think i can try.

Last edited by Epi_lepsia (11-29-2006 10:16:50 AM)

#3 | Back to Top11-29-2006 12:41:10 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

I dunno if it counts as a cosplay costume, but I've had an idea (for a year now) to make a costume out of one of my own characters. The one from my avatar, as a matter of fact. (: Designing the head will most probably be the most difficult thing to pull off, close second being the wings. I have my brother helping me, who insists that we make the jaw movable... That just makes life so much more complicated. Hopefully, we'll have the whole thing finished before the next masquerade. Neither one of us really has any experience with it, so any advice is welcome. Though I have no idea what I'm asking for. n_n'

I would love to make a costume of an Utena character, but anime so underground over here, that I wouln't have anywhere to show it off. /:

#4 | Back to Top11-29-2006 01:27:51 PM

littleRita
Wakaba Wrangler

A few years ago I was part of a ten person utena group. We were more impressive by quantity than quality though, because the fitting of some of them came out pretty rediculous looking. I was Touga, and it was so oversized that I couldn't keep my pants on. Thank god we've all improved since then; it was a little pathetic.

I'm trying to finish at least two costumes by this spring. Subaru from .//hack and the violet haired hookerbot who appeared in the first season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Between the stretch vinyl and the prom dress fabric, I'm going to have to make a pact with the devil to finish these.school-devil

#5 | Back to Top11-29-2006 02:39:16 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Cosplaying is usually trumped by the fact that I'm nearly six feet tall and anything female I go for looks like it's attacking Tokyo, so I only do it for halloween and costume parties.

I made a pretty awesome Tasuki a few years back for my anime club's party, but I had most of the materials at home. My only big issue was making myself a tessen out of crap I found around the house. o: Turned out pretty good.

I think I might do Touga one year.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#6 | Back to Top11-29-2006 04:37:36 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

I think I'm definitely going to remake my Juri costumes in the near future.  The architecture of my school is just begging to serve as a backdrop for photos.

#7 | Back to Top11-29-2006 06:25:09 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

I was Princess Sailor Moon from Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, last Acen. emot-redface
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures.

But I have been working on a Nanami costume. It's going to be hottt.

#8 | Back to Top11-29-2006 06:41:31 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Cosplayers/Sewers thread?  Is that for dressing up as the Ninja Turtles?

#9 | Back to Top11-30-2006 09:08:09 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

http://members.cosplay.com/58751/ Here are some of my cosplays ô_o in my times, i was a huge freak.

#10 | Back to Top11-30-2006 09:00:04 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Epi_lepsia wrote:

http://members.cosplay.com/58751/ Here are some of my cosplays ô_o in my times, i was a huge freak.

We are keen on huge freaks here. Your costumes are very good.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#11 | Back to Top12-05-2006 09:27:05 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

I'm working soooooo hard right now on a cosplay for Shiori's Rosebride dress... I'm using purple velvet & it's going to look loverly when done!

So completely excited!

#12 | Back to Top12-06-2006 09:21:07 AM

littleRita
Wakaba Wrangler

Uffda! That much velvet?emot-aaa I hope you've got a good vacuum cleaner.

#13 | Back to Top12-06-2006 07:09:47 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

hyacinth_black wrote:

I'm working soooooo hard right now on a cosplay for Shiori's Rosebride dress... I'm using purple velvet & it's going to look loverly when done!

So completely excited!

If I see you in that dress, I'll probably kidnap-- I mean take a picture of you. :3

#14 | Back to Top12-07-2006 07:58:12 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Razara wrote:

hyacinth_black wrote:

So completely excited!

If I see you in that dress, I'll probably kidnap-- I mean take a picture of you. :3

Oooooh, you'd better watch out! I'm a black belt in tae kwon do... (not kidding, either!)

littleRita wrote:

Uffda! That much velvet?emot-aaa I hope you've got a good vacuum cleaner.

Actually what I do is I put a plastic sheet underneath my general sewing area & when I'm done for the day I throw it out.

#15 | Back to Top12-15-2006 09:17:05 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I've always wanted to try cosplaying, but I don't think I have the figure to fit one of the Seitokai uniforms and make it look good. Too much junk in the trunk for a long, slim outfit like that. I could do Rose Bride, though. Anyone have any suggestions for a base pattern, or is there a Rose Bride pattern floating around out there?

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#16 | Back to Top12-15-2006 10:18:49 AM

o0Natasha0o
Wakaba Wrangler

satyreyes wrote:

Cosplayers/Sewers thread?  Is that for dressing up as the Ninja Turtles?

rotfflmao!! Oh yeah definitely! Fresh from the sewers cooooooomeees theeee.... *drumroll* TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES!!! emot-dance

But seriously though, I'm so jealous at all the cosplayers out there, if I only had the time (skill, ability, money, fabric, fantasy, body, mind...) I'd definitely cosplay! I would probably do the Rose Bride gown first, and also some Final Fantasy characters, but well... It just isn't meant to be emot-rolleyes

"A warrior takes sword in hand, clasping a gem to his heart...
Engraving vanishing memories into the sword,He places finely honed skills into the stone.
Spoken from the sword, handed down from the stone,
Now the story can be told..."

#17 | Back to Top12-15-2006 09:59:08 PM

Archambeau

So, three weeks off from school with nothing to do in the banal wasteland that is Colorado.

Methinks I have a date with the fabric stores tomorrow.

#18 | Back to Top12-23-2006 07:33:19 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Oh sheesh a cosplay thread... bane!  Bane of my existence! 

... so I've cosplayed movie Juri, tv series Juri, Akio, and Mikage thus far.  Going to cosplay movie Akio in the future (cheese-tastic) and perhaps Nanami some day (gotta love that uniform).

#19 | Back to Top12-23-2006 07:47:02 PM

Starshine
New Student

I'm too fat to get away with being a skinny anime character emot-tongue

If it wasn't anime only I might could pass off as Rita from the Power Rangers/Super Sentai stuff. emot-redface

#20 | Back to Top12-23-2006 09:02:26 PM

Teatime
Miki Molester

I sew. I've mostly been sewing for class lately. Yay for fashion classes....emot-rolleyes They drive me insane! But it's a good type of crazy.

I'm going to be doing a Nemuro costume for next AX. Yes... Nemuro, not Mikage. It's an excuse to make that wonderful purple eyesore of a jacket. Though I'm not really looking forward to making his dress shirt... I can do it and it will look good. I'd prefer not to, but I doubt I'm going to find a dress shirt in that style in that god aweful color. On the plus side a friend of mine is doing Mikage, and we both have the same wig. We're also both about the same size/build. I'm going to have so much fun sitting around fiddling on my laptop with a coffee cup next to me with a hand on a stand pointing at it.

I've done a few costumes in the past. But most of my attention has been on normal clothes lately. I have a really important peice of advice for anyone doing cosplay.... TAKE A PATTERN DRAFTING CLASS. You'll thank yourself later that you did. Before I would think things like " I'd like to do this... I think I can do it this way" which would be followed by several hours playing with newspaper and tape. Now I go "I know how to do that!" and take the next half hour to draft out all the patterns. And if I don't know how to do it I can just reference my text book. Patterndrafting is the most awesome thing ever.

When it comes to wigs there's this japanese site that has the most awesome cosplay wigs I've ever run across. The fiber feels wonderful in real life and they hang perfectly.

http://cyperous.com/fcw.html

I have really long natural hair. I'm pretty good at pining it really flat to my head and sticking a wig cap over it. But some wigs look puffy and unnatural no matter what you do. These are WONDERFUL at lieing completely flat.

Edit: I'm fairly sure this is the wig my friend ordered two of for Mikage/Nemuro. She's a wiz at wig styling so is doing that part. Now I just need to figure out a way to get 170 dollars for an awesometastic solid silver  black rose signet ring.
http://cyperous.com/images/MFST-40-F1_001.jpg

Last edited by Teatime (12-23-2006 09:04:33 PM)

#21 | Back to Top12-23-2006 10:07:16 PM

Archambeau

Thanks for the wig link, Teatime -- those look great.  emot-smile

My Ohtori school uniform is almost finished -- should be done within the next day or so.  It certainly has kept me pleasantly occupied over the long winter break in Bumblefuck, Colorado.

#22 | Back to Top12-23-2006 10:44:14 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

We can't wait to see pictures. Shame you live in Bumblefuck though. emot-biggrin

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#23 | Back to Top12-24-2006 07:14:06 PM

Suyo
Tenjou Tilter

Tee hee

I'm going as movie Utena (boy uniform) n_n

I'ma dye my hair pink

I won't look like utena, really (i ugly) but it'll be fun as hell ;O

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy it be granted Glory.

#24 | Back to Top12-24-2006 07:17:15 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Suyo wrote:

Tee hee

I'm going as movie Utena (boy uniform) n_n

I'ma dye my hair pink

I won't look like utena, really (i ugly) but it'll be fun as hell ;O

Ohohoo... don't call yourself ugly without evidence, m'deary!

YAY FOR MOVIE UTENA!

I've wanted to cosplay her soooo badly for soooo long!!!

#25 | Back to Top12-29-2006 11:38:40 AM

silver moon
Wakaba Wrangler

I did a couple simple cosplays at acen last year (Rinoa and something I was able to pull of with stuff out of my closet) because I found out I was going about two weeks before the convention.  This year I'm hoping to have everything done a month before the con.

Board footer