This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-11-2013 01:45:01 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: It looks like this is my lucky day! I'll take "The Rapists" for $200.

Aelanie wrote:

"Victim" and "helpless innocent" are not synonymous.

Tell that to half of tumblr. emot-rolleyes The whole reason I don't use the word victim is because I don't want to subscribe to the mentality that having bad shit happen to you means you are the passive object being acted upon by your circumstances, which the word "victim" certainly does imply. Anthy is not a passive object, therefore I do not use the word victim. If you take issue with that, that's cool, but I prefer to avoid that implication when I'm talking about a character I respect.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#27 | Back to Top09-11-2013 01:57:26 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Yasha wrote:

Aelanie wrote:

"Victim" and "helpless innocent" are not synonymous.

Tell that to half of tumblr. emot-rolleyes The whole reason I don't use the word victim is because I don't want to subscribe to the mentality that having bad shit happen to you means you are the passive object being acted upon by your circumstances, which the word "victim" certainly does imply. Anthy is not a passive object, therefore I do not use the word victim. If you take issue with that, that's cool, but I prefer to avoid that implication when I'm talking about a character I respect.

Fair enough, then - though if we are allowing the likes of Tumblr to dictate and enforce their loaded interpretations of words in completely unrelated spaces, our troubles may be bigger than we realized...

Last edited by Aelanie (09-11-2013 02:02:43 AM)

#28 | Back to Top09-11-2013 02:02:59 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Actually, that was kinda the joke part of the response, not the serious part. I do that a lot, sorry it bit you.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#29 | Back to Top09-11-2013 02:12:16 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Aelanie wrote:

...I don't really get what point you're trying to make here. You wrote a lot of words but didn't seem to actually say anything. All I can get out of it is, "people are different and react differently to things", which...completely and totally agrees with what I said.

You argued that failing to overcome adversity was an issue of inner strength. I tend to have a problem with that view as it often contributes to the philosophy of blame you discussed. A woman's submission to domestic abuse, for example, should not be attributed to a deficit in "strength of character." To say that these people are pitiable only contributes to the patronizing attitude of blame culture.

I work with an immigrant mother who frequently endures physical abuse. Yet she says that this is the symbol of her strength and cultural empowerment because "women were meant to bleed and smile." While I definitely don't agree with/condone her worldview, I have to work past the tendency to see her as inherently weak and inferior because of her choices. To do so would be dehumanizing, not empowering.

Overall, I agree with many of the points you've made and think that they're very well-stated. This is just one nit-picky area of debate for me.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#30 | Back to Top09-11-2013 02:17:46 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

I work with an immigrant mother who frequently endures physical abuse. Yet she says that this is the symbol of her strength and cultural empowerment because "women were meant to bleed and smile." While I definitely don't agree with/condone her worldview, I have to work past the tendency to see her as inherently weak and inferior because of her choices. To do so would be dehumanizing, not empowering.

Sorry honey, I know you're the professional and all, but I will never be able to see that as strength. Not that I would ever disparage her for believing that, but... emot-frown emot-gonk emot-mad emot-frown

#31 | Back to Top09-11-2013 02:25:54 AM

Katzenklavier

Not saying you should. I'm just saying it's a damn slippery slope from going "bad shit happens because people are too weak" to "bad shit happens because people deserve it." That said...yeeeeeah. Trying to impartially inhabit the minds/perspectives of people is only a stop short of cultural relativism. No wonder we get the reputation of being evil.

Besides, you know, all the mind games, seduction, and occasional cannibalism (looking at you, Dr. Lecter).

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#32 | Back to Top09-11-2013 02:26:14 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Katzenklavier wrote:

Aelanie wrote:

...I don't really get what point you're trying to make here. You wrote a lot of words but didn't seem to actually say anything. All I can get out of it is, "people are different and react differently to things", which...completely and totally agrees with what I said.

You argued that failing to overcome adversity was an issue of inner strength. I tend to have a problem with that view as it often contributes to the philosophy of blame you discussed. A woman's submission to domestic abuse, for example, should not be attributed to a deficit in "strength of character." To say that these people are pitiable only contributes to the patronizing attitude of blame culture.

Overall, I agree with many of the points you've made and think that they're very well-stated. This is just one nit-picky area of debate for me.

Your remarks were well-intentioned then, but I think you may - understandably - have thought you heard things in my remarks that I did not actually say. What I call "pitiable" is not the lack of "inner strength", however you may wish to quantify that. On the contrary, my position was and is against looking down on people for that, rather than making an effort to understand their situations. What's pitiable is that such people, regardless of the specific reasons why, remain in those situations.

Your immigrant mother clearly does not lack for resilience of a type, and I would certainly never criticize her for being "weak". But it is a pity that, for whatever reason, she finds it more palatable to remain in that situation than to escape from it.

Last edited by Aelanie (09-11-2013 02:35:43 AM)

#33 | Back to Top09-11-2013 02:46:42 AM

Katzenklavier

I see that I inferred more from your statements than what was there. My bad entirely. Indeed, we seem to agree that taking situational factors into account is important.

Okay, so I'm about to play devil's advocate again here. Please understand that this is not a reflection of my personal opinion or a critique of yours. It's just an interesting issue to explore.

Aelanie wrote:

But it is a pity that, for whatever reason, she finds it more palatable to remain in that situation than to escape from it.

Why? She claims that she's very content with it and that she would never "abandon" her husband. The whole family espouses very positive views towards what they perceive as justifiable physical discipline - even the kids. What if it truly makes her and them happy?

Last edited by Katzenklavier (09-11-2013 02:47:27 AM)

#34 | Back to Top09-11-2013 02:54:16 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Katzenklavier wrote:

Why? She claims that she's very content with it and that she would never "abandon" her husband. The whole family espouses very positive views towards what they perceive as justifiable physical discipline - even the kids. What if it truly makes her and them happy?

Sorry. I realize it's only for the sake of discussion, but I have no intention of addressing that as a serious argument worthy of debate. There is a point at which "moral relativism" crosses the line into merely being a shield for atrocities, and that example - which all too many people actually would seriously defend, even if you yourself obviously are not - is over that line.

#35 | Back to Top09-11-2013 02:57:33 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Not to mention, it's a topic for another thread. If you want to make that thread, Katz, I'd surely join the discussion.

#36 | Back to Top09-11-2013 05:38:06 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Yasha wrote:

Katzenklavier wrote:

Sorry honey, I know you're the professional and all, but I will never be able to see that as strength. Not that I would ever disparage her for believing that, but... emot-frown emot-gonk emot-mad emot-frown

I get it. I was raised with a bit of that "you picked them, and for the sake of stability/others you've weathered it well," but simultaneously, I don't agree it's the healthiest perspective.

I think, what it comes down to is that all things are, indeed, subjective, but eventually you need to make a call. And once you make your call, pretending there's an objective call necessary is unreasonable. You made the subjective call and stick to your guns, even if it's hard and the localized general call is in opposition to you.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#37 | Back to Top09-11-2013 07:35:11 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Hmm . . . since this is "The Rapists" thread . . .

Assuming the school is in Tokyo Prefecture, however, a 'Youth Protection Law' raises this to 18. As far as I could tell with a quick googling, every prefecture has laws making the limit 18. So Akio is a disgusting pig either way. emot-dance

If we want to be specific on youth law and all, wouldn't that made Anthy - god knows how many years old - a pig too for her seducing Miki(13) and Saionji(17)? I know her 'human ID' says she's 14, but if we go by 'human ID', then even Akio is only 19 according to what I remember from Yoji E's notes.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#38 | Back to Top09-11-2013 07:47:39 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

gorgeousshutin wrote:

If we want to be specific on youth law and all, wouldn't that made Anthy - god knows how many years old - a pig too for her seducing Miki(13) and Saionji(17)? I know her 'human ID' says she's 14, but if we go by 'human ID', then even Akio is only 19 according to what I remember from Yoji E's notes.

That's a fake age, though. He may appear to be nineteen, buy you're sixteen, relatively well-developed and have fake ID, you're ostensibly 23 in appearance. He, and Anthy, are just faking.

Anthy and Akio are clearly much older than anyone else, and beyond that, they're considerably more aware of the truth of situations.

Anthy's more than just a pig for her manipulations of Miki, Utena, Saionji, Wakaba, Nanami, whomever... she's a goddammed horror show.

Nanami's what, twelve, thirteen? Anthy fucks with her daily, from just playing mind games with her to flat out attacking her with elephants. If you or I did that, we'd be at the very least complete assholes, and we're not even exceptionally long-lived gods with superpowers who know secrets of the universe. It's more forgivable, because it's fiction, these are imaginary people, but still Anthy has motivation for these things, she doesn't necessarily have an excuse.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#39 | Back to Top09-11-2013 07:52:36 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Anthy's more than just a pig for her manipulations of Miki, Utena, Saionji, Wakaba, Nanami, whomever... she's a goddammed horror show.

Nanami's what, twelve, thirteen? Anthy fucks with her daily, from just playing mind games with her to flat out attacking her with elephants. If you or I did that, we'd be at the very least complete assholes, and we're not even exceptionally long-lived gods with superpowers who know secrets of the universe. It's more forgivable, because it's fiction, these are imaginary people, but still Anthy has motivation for these things, she doesn't necessarily have an excuse.

Word the whole thing, DD.  Double A is the same two-headed serpent - each head representing the most malevolent aspects of the male/female gender role respectively - IMHO.

Edited to add: this is also why I'm continuously baffled by people focusing only on Akio's possible 'Rapist' status.  I mean, hello?  He and and sister are immortal demi gods who rob/steal human souls, then leaving them to ruin!  Seduction is but one of their many underhanded means towards their very selfish ends.  Rape?  It's demons (albeit ones given layered characterizations) preying upon mere humans here.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (09-11-2013 08:12:39 AM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#40 | Back to Top09-11-2013 08:29:02 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Touga is much more ‘grown up’ than Utena is. Technically he’s underage, but we do not assign the same weight of wrongness to Akio’s sleeping with him, because whether we mean to or not, most of us seem to interpret Touga as much more consenting figure in the situation. He’s still underage, though, and by our own standards, it’s still rape. Or is it because he’s male that we give Akio a pass on that one?

I'm not sure whether it came through in my first post, but... I feel the exact opposite. emot-tongue

Anthy... Anthy I can't get an emotional read on.  I mean, a destructive relationship that goes on for MILLENNIA or what have you?  Yeah, that's really bad, I guess, but her response is just so weird that it all falls under the thinking category of response, and my thinking responses tend to be very, very mild and forgiving.  What's more, the last time we see her interact with Akio, she's telling him to take a hike, and that's awesome!

For Utena, Akio is pretty much a one-time thing.  Yeah, it's pretty bad while it happens.  There's no way I can watch that episode/those episodes without flinching.  But it's a mistake that she's essentially strong enough to recover from.  The last time we see her interact with Akio, she's shoving him in the face, and that's awesome!

And Touga?  Yeah, there's a few years difference.  But is he really that much mature?  He reads to me less as someone mature enough to consent to a considerably older partner and more like a kid in over his head and faking maturity.  And pretty badly, at that.  It took me a couple of watch-throughs, because we're used to the image of the "high school Casanova" in media. (anime especially, from what I can tell)  But a seventeen-year-old having casual sex with multiple partners at once?  Yeah, that's... really really troubling, and indicative of a high level of vulnerability.  And the last time we see him interact with Akio?  (If I remember correctly) He's brought a friend to a highly questionable photo shoot.  That's... terrible.  emot-frown

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#41 | Back to Top09-11-2013 10:15:47 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

gorgeousshutin wrote:

this is also why I'm continuously baffled by people focusing only on Akio's possible 'Rapist' status.  I mean, hello?  He and and sister are immortal demi gods who rob/steal human souls, then leaving them to ruin!  Seduction is but one of their many underhanded means towards their very selfish ends.  Rape?  It's demons (albeit ones given layered characterizations) preying upon mere humans here.

That's too easy an excuse, and oversimplifies the interpretive decisions the show is trying to get us to make. Regardless of their backstory and status as some kind of supernatural "other", both Anthy and Akio have all-too-human qualities and personalities, and the show wants us to make judgements on what they do and how they think through that lens of human feelings and motivations that we share with them. (It could hardly ask us to do otherwise, after all.) Waving all that aside with a "they're not human, so they're beyond being quantified by us" is a cop-out, and a disservice to the questions about humanity the show is asking its viewers to consider.

Last edited by Aelanie (09-11-2013 10:26:29 PM)

#42 | Back to Top09-11-2013 10:22:19 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

KY wrote:

And the last time we see him interact with Akio?  (If I remember correctly) He's brought a friend to a highly questionable photo shoot.  That's... terrible.  emot-frown

That was in Ep37, after both Touga & Saionji have since made their resolve to save Utena from Akio.  I myself figured that having failed in saving her by dueling, the boys now are trying to get a better handle on Akio via this interaction.  It turns out questionable (sexually) because that's likely the only kind of interaction any human being can have with the debauched Devil emot-redface

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (09-11-2013 10:23:58 PM)

#43 | Back to Top09-11-2013 10:23:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Aelanie wrote:

Regardless of their backstory and status as some kind of supernatural "other", both Anthy and Akio have all-too-human qualities and personalities, and the show wants us to make judgements on what they do and how they think through that lens of human feelings and motivations that we share with them. (It could hardly ask us to do otherwise, after all.) Waving all that aside with a "they're not human, so they're beyond being quantified by us" is a cop-out and a disservice to the questions about humanity the show is asking its viewers to consider.

I can't say whether your point speaks directly to shutin's, but I agree with what you're saying here.  It's not like we're talking about unfathomable Cthulhu and Azathoth here.  Demigods or not, Akio and Anthy present themselves as humans, they move in the human world, and they have human emotions.  We are invited to judge them in human terms.  If we decline the invitation and decide not to judge them, then it shouldn't be because we can't judge demigods; it should be because we can't judge humans.

#44 | Back to Top09-11-2013 10:39:37 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

It turns out questionable (sexually) because that's likely the only kind of interaction any human being can have with the debauched Devil emot-redface

I would advise you to take the Devil metaphor with a grain of salt: Akio uses sex to his own ends.  He does it a lot.  But we see many occasions on which people talk to him without things coming off as highly questionable.  Sometimes they're only mildly questionable!  And as I pointed out, you can also shove him in the face or calmly and politely tell him to fuck off.  But during the (metaphorical?) motorcycle ride, Touga expresses the danger of standing up to Akio.  That does not sound to me like someone who feels free to refuse a (not so) hypothetical advance.

satyreyes wrote:

it should be because we can't judge humans.

This one has my vote.

Last edited by Kita-Ysabell (09-11-2013 10:40:10 PM)

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#45 | Back to Top09-11-2013 10:53:27 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Aelanie wrote:

Waving all that aside with a "they're not human, so they're beyond being quantified by us" is a cop-out and a disservice to the questions about humanity the show is asking its viewers to consider.

I can't say whether your point speaks directly to shutin's

It doesn't, as "they're not human, so they're beyond being quantified by us" never came out of my writing.

me wrote:

He and and sister are immortal demi gods who rob/steal human souls, then leaving them to ruinSeduction is but one of their many underhanded means towards their very selfish ends.  Rape?  It's demons (albeit ones given layered characterizations) preying upon mere humans here.

My point is that Double A are shown to destroy people totally, not just sexually. See what they did to Nerumo, to Kanae - neither of whom were given any choice as they each got totally destroyed in their own way (character corrupted + existence erased versus becoming a vegetable).  So it baffles me when some people focus only on Akio's interaction with Utena and Anthy (both of whom having a choice in the matter) as being 'rape', when both he and Anthy are shown  guilty of So. Much. Worse.

KY wrote:

But we see many occasions on which people talk to him without things coming off as highly questionable.  Sometimes they're only mildly questionable!  And as I pointed out, you can also shove him in the face or calmly and politely tell him to fuck off.

KY wrote:

But during the (metaphorical?) motorcycle ride, Touga expresses the danger of standing up to Akio.  That does not sound to me like someone who feels free to refuse a (not so) hypothetical advance.

Urm . . . Touga cannot afford to be confrontational against Akio when he needs victor-fate info from him now, I don't think.
As I said upthread:

I myself figured that having failed in saving her by dueling, the boys now are trying to get a better handle on Akio via this interaction.

I see said interaction as likely initiated by Touga, and is one where the boys join forces to pry the needed info out of Akio's mouth via seduction.  Then again  Akio is shown posing too aka seducing them right back, leaving the boys none the wiser after the act.

#46 | Back to Top09-11-2013 11:11:24 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

You're right, there is more nuance to the scene.

I could go into it, but that... wasn't really my point.  It's more as a graphic contrast between the different situations and outcomes of Akio's coerced partners, and why my reaction to it is the way it is.  Which... isn't going to change based on the nuance of one particular scene that I was evoking in a deliberately broad manner.  Especially since it doesn't really relate to Touga's maturity and ability to give free, informed consent, or lack thereof.

Edit to add: Yes, he probably walked into that situation.  But that doesn't mean he's capable of knowing whether that's something that's going to work out well, or of making the decision based on that knowledge.  Saying "yes" is not really the same thing as giving consent.  Consent is about saying "yes" when one is also reasonably able to say "no."  And I don't think that Touga is reasonably able to say "no."

Last edited by Kita-Ysabell (09-11-2013 11:17:19 PM)

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#47 | Back to Top09-11-2013 11:14:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

KY wrote:

But during the (metaphorical?) motorcycle ride, Touga expresses the danger of standing up to Akio.  That does not sound to me like someone who feels free to refuse a (not so) hypothetical advance.

Urm . . . Touga cannot afford to be confrontational against Akio when he needs victor-fate info from him now, I don't think.
As I said upthread:

I myself figured that having failed in saving her by dueling, the boys now are trying to get a better handle on Akio via this interaction.

I see said interaction as likely initiated by Touga, and is one where the boys join forces to pry the needed info out of Akio's mouth via seduction.  Then again  Akio is shown posing too aka seducing them right back, leaving the boys none the wiser after the act.

And I interpret that line differently from either of y'all. emot-biggrin  I think Touga has enough information at this point to know that Akio and Anthy are going to do something bad (probably lethal) to the Champion Duelist.  I don't think he's under any illusion at this point that the Champion Duelist might survive by giving in to Akio's advances.  The Champion Duelist is toast.  That's why he's dueling Utena: he's trying to save her (against her will) even at the cost of his own safety.  In other words, he's trying to be a prince.  He's being a chauvinist about it, because princes as portrayed in SKU are pretty chauvinistic figures, and Touga has been a chauvinist for a long time and he won't change his spots quickly, but that duel is nevertheless borne of Touga's good intentions.

Fake edit: Kita's last post went up as I was finishing this.  Yes, exactly.

#48 | Back to Top09-12-2013 12:38:14 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I personally believe its an oversimplification to act as if Anthy and Akio are basically 14 and 19 year old humans. Yes, they certainly act on human terms as far as emotions are concerned. But their attitudes are so jaded and competent, basically the only way you can accurately quantify their personalities is 90 year olds in the bodies is very young adults. Only at least 90 year olds generally can generally have some sort of peace and sense of finality. Akio and Anthy are just bored and restless, getting to re-enact their failures and revisit their insecurities for all eternity. It's really no wonder they're profoundly broken. I personally always thought that a sense of guilt over Anthy's swords is what made Akio eventually just blame her for everything just to save his own sanity, like a little kid who grows up in an abusive home and starts to hate the passive parent more for never standing up(aaaaaand then usually ends up abusive when he/she grows up....). The scene with Anthy in pain in the car and Akio screaming, obviously VERY upset and angry, insisting that her pain has nothing to do with him. Suuuuuuuuuuure......

I honestly believe that Akio and Anthy's relationship makes practically no sense if you don't realize they're immortal and have only been able to depend on each other for thousands of years. They're the only ones who understand each other and their history, the only ones they can act with on relatively equal footing, etc. If you were alone for eternity with just your sibling and a bunch of ignorant animals, you'd probably eventually screw each other. Something that awful seems pretty much a given in that situation.

Hat Mafia Member

#49 | Back to Top09-12-2013 01:53:44 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Frau Eva wrote:

I honestly believe that Akio and Anthy's relationship makes practically no sense if you don't realize they're immortal and have only been able to depend on each other for thousands of years.

Lots of people - an unfortunate and high number, anyway - have relationships that involve cyclical violence, manipulation, and even incest. They don't have to be immortal or, necessarily, feel otherwise isolated from the rest of the world.

Frau Eva wrote:

They're the only ones who understand each other and their history, the only ones they can act with on relatively equal footing, etc. If you were alone for eternity with just your sibling and a bunch of ignorant animals, you'd probably eventually screw each other. Something that awful seems pretty much a given in that situation.

Depends on what you consider "equal footing." I don't believe power differentials or authority are the only qualifiers for equality or civil indulgence. They're not required to see less-powerful or shorter-lived life as inherently beneath them.

It's cute, and sweet, and rewarding to see Anthy treat animals so well, especially the often-dismissed, like her pet snails or pet mongoose - even inanimate, unthinking objects like the school festival balloon she's saved, except, in the end, that's how she's treating the human beings in her life as well. Miki's just a snail in a pencil box. No matter how kindly you smile and open it up to give some attention, it's dickish.

#50 | Back to Top09-12-2013 04:58:52 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Miki's just a snail in a pencil box.

Holy crap that's chilling. And accurate.

Board footer