This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-12-2013 06:31:22 AM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

A Question About Obscure Utena Stuff...

Hello guys. After doing some research, I found out about the "Three Wishes" short story in the manga, as well as several other books besides the manga. Can someone explain to me the difference between the manga and these Shogakukan releases? Also, where can i find the "Three Wishes," "Engraved Rose," and "Adolescence Apocalypse" stories? I found references to them on the Wikipedia article for Utena. If you guys could help me out, I'd appreciate it. It would really help me to learn more about the series I love, and let me know what to purchase later on. Thanks!

Links for information:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B0%91% … B.E7.89.88
http://littlewing2007.cocolog-nifty.com … -159e.html

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#2 | Back to Top07-12-2013 07:39:50 AM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

Re: A Question About Obscure Utena Stuff...

To my knowledge, the English manga releases are pretty much straight-up translations of the Shougakukan volumes. The "Three Wishes" sidestory you mentioned is in volume 3, the Black Rose and Ruka sidestories are in vol 5, and Adolescence is its own self-contained volume.

The three-volume bunko release seen a little further down on both sites you linked are a condensed rerelease of the original manga volumes, with a smaller trim size and higher pagecount per book, and all the sidestories and Adolescence are crammed into the third volume (which is over 400 pages!) along with the last bit of the main manga storyline. Bunkos usually don't have the author's sidenotes that regular manga volumes have, but these ones do have little essays in the back, which I'm actually a little curious about myself.

I hope that helps!

#3 | Back to Top07-12-2013 07:40:22 AM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

asdfghjkl; double post emot-mad

Last edited by MikoGalatea (07-12-2013 07:41:36 AM)

#4 | Back to Top07-13-2013 07:43:37 AM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

Oh, okay! Thanks!

I too am now interested in those essays... I wonder what they could be about? If someone hasn't already translated them, perhaps I could buy those volumes myself... And I didn't know that Adolescence was the movie manga... That's kind of stupid of me.

So, I have another question: do any of the Utena plays differ from the source material? I know the second one has the zombies... but are they all just essentially condensed versions of the anime/manga?

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#5 | Back to Top07-15-2013 11:11:40 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

DorianGray345 wrote:

Oh, okay! Thanks!

I too am now interested in those essays... I wonder what they could be about? If someone hasn't already translated them, perhaps I could buy those volumes myself... And I didn't know that Adolescence was the movie manga... That's kind of stupid of me.

So, I have another question: do any of the Utena plays differ from the source material? I know the second one has the zombies... but are they all just essentially condensed versions of the anime/manga?

I've only seen the first musical.  I think the polite way to say it would be that it has been heavily adapted for the stage.  But it does retain the series' touchstones, at least from the first arc: Utena is a girl who wants to be a prince, she duels for Anthy, the Student Council has sinister meetings (with a lyrical setting of an arrangement of the Student Council Elevator Theme!), there is Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku, the Shadow Girls exist and have a musical number.  The biggest difference, apart from the plot's extreme condensation and occasional rearrangement, is probably that the musical is played as broad comedy.

Board footer