This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-28-2007 05:39:54 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

D&D Nerds: Rejoice in this Parallel

I should state initially, in case the title isn't any indication, that I am a major D&D nerd. Due to the circumstances of the campaigns I'm involved in, specifically in the field of demonology. Since there have been a number of D&D references around this site, I feel confident that there might be some appreciation for yet another crossover analysis. And Akio is involved, so please do read on.

There is a Demon Prince in the realms of the Abyss that bears several striking resemblances to Akio. His name is Graz'zt, and to all Abyssal-wearied players, he is a major pain in the ass (quite literally in fact). Not necessarily a visual similarity (though there is a few debatably). Here's an example:

Here's our lovely Specimen #1.

http://www.fantasykat.com/ch/Images/a/akio2.jpg

And Specimen #2.

http://www4.osk.3web.ne.jp/~hasinaka/graz'zt.jpg

http://planewalking.dungeons.ru/denizens/abyssal%20lords/grazzt.jpg

A disclaimer on my assertions on Graz'zt: he's a popular character, so naturally there will be a lot versions. I'll try to generalize as much as possible from the ton of information I have. What Akio is to Giovanna, Graz'zt is to me. The two have a number of parallels. And I rather dislike Akio. Weird.

Graz'zt is the Demon Prince of seduction, manipulation, tyranny, power, magic, shadows, and illusions. He knows that the trick to having power is to make others believe that they are in fact the ones in contro. Yet, he has a voracious sexual appetite, and most of his interactions with others reflect their submissiveness to his desires and manipulations. Most of his mechanisms revolve around his subjects' baser desires and exploiting them to his advantage.

Furthermore, he is by the most intelligent and intellectually advanced of the demons, and frequently reflects upon the nature of his evil and the necessity of the demons. Far from a demon rendered stupid by his hunger, he uses that as the basis for deductions regarding the manipulation of others - often allowing him to overcome opponents with more physical power.

His origination, according to some of the earlier interpretations on his character, is that he an archangel by the name of Vahz'zt (creative name change, I know) that was corrupted by the essence of chaos. Where once a paragon of virtue and abstinence from physical pleasures, he eventually became the incarnate of sensual pleasure and eternal hunger. Sound familiar?

And here's the icing on the cake: An obsession with sisters. Or daughters. Or cousins. Or his mother. Sexual relationships with intimate relations in general. Though one could argue that this a kink where for Akio it simply doesn't matter, it is just too obvious not to note.

Even physically, both have a sort of stylish habit of contrasting the common with lavishly elegant - a sort of jarring juxtaposition. Combining feminine and masculine traits that melt into a seductive combination. Both accentuate their seductiveness through their speech, dress, and mannerisms. Additionally, there is the dark skin, the lithe build, and the penchant for piercings.

All in all, if these two found each other, it would be a match made in the very deepest and most vile Hell (or in Azzagrat, since Graz'zt is a demon). Though unfortunately, Graz'zt is considerably more psychotic than Akio, and wields a fist where illusion fails (where Akio arguably does not, or at least not to the extent of ripping off people's heads and bathing in their blood). Eventually Akio's thirst for power would get him thrown into the harem or, well, dead.

Well. There was the ultimate expression of my Nerdvana. But it felt so good. D&D fans rejoice.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#2 | Back to Top09-28-2007 06:51:44 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: D&D Nerds: Rejoice in this Parallel

...dude, I totally never noticed that before. You rock.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#3 | Back to Top09-28-2007 10:54:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Many people have, over the years, tried to convince me to play D&D. This is the argument they should have been making. etc-wankgirl

So yeah. I really want to say something that would contribute but all I can think of are variations on a theme that involves 'Dude that guy is hot' and 'I wonder if Akio would pierce his nipples emot-confused'.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top09-28-2007 11:28:28 PM

Jellineck

'Dude that guy is hot'

Yes, he is. And he will gladly give you free samples. Or demon spawn. Lots n' lots of them. In other words, if you take up D&D and come across, jab him in the balls with a hatpin for me.

Unfortunately, it's rather jaded me to the whole Utena deal. It's like - "Oh, Touga is having a foursome and Akio is screwing his sister. That's revolting, but not quite as bad as the blood-drenched family orgy where five virgins were sacrificed yesterday." Not that D&D is always really that bad, but stay away from the Abyssal campaigns (or go for it, depending on your tastes).

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#5 | Back to Top09-28-2007 11:52:13 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think the thing stopping him there is that sacrificing virgins would seem to him a bit of a waste. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#6 | Back to Top09-29-2007 12:25:29 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I've never heard of this guy.  Apparently I should be spending less time on D&D mechanics and philosophy and more time on learning the ins and outs of the multiverse!

Looking Graz'zt up on Wikipedia, I see that he was invented by Lord Gygax himself, and that he's been around since First Edition (or before?)  So he's certainly as ancient as Akio.  It also says here he's worshipped by lamias (i.e. seductive snake-women), and I'm pretty sure "Gio" stands for "Graz'zt's Irresistible Ophidian," so I guess that clinches that.  Clearly Gary Gygax looked into the future, saw that Akio would come into being, and ripped him off.

#7 | Back to Top09-29-2007 01:47:31 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

satyreyes wrote:

Clearly Gary Gygax looked into the future, saw that Akio would come into being, and ripped him off.

Exactly. Because he is just that mercenary and awesome.

#8 | Back to Top09-29-2007 10:57:19 AM

Jellineck

I've never heard of this guy.  Apparently I should be spending less time on D&D mechanics and philosophy and more time on learning the ins and outs of the multiverse!

Yes, well, if you ever encounter Graz'zt...you'll be learning A LOT about the ins and outs of the universe and probably experience some firsthand...

*snickers perversely* Ins and outs.

Clearly Gary Gygax looked into the future, saw that Akio would come into being, and ripped him off.

And gave him nipple piercings. Thus I don't think of him so much as a rip-off from the future but as an improvement. I meant, if you really want your eyes to pop out of your sockets...

http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Image.php?id=53741 !!!!!

...dude, I totally never noticed that before. You rock.

*strikes a pose*

#9 | Back to Top09-29-2007 04:52:43 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

Well if you really wanna make it easy they could be alternate dimension variations of each other OR either one could be a... facet? Aspect? That is the new fangled term isn't it? Or was that for deities only? I could go che-

OH YEAH THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE A DEMONOMICON ARTICLE ON HIM SOON!!!(like days if they don't get lazy)
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dragon

This fallen angel thing smacks of the Lucifer influence we've come to recognize so well.
Oh and you'll have to register to be able to see the electro-reincarnation of the mag(I'm still miffed about killing off the printed version and 4th ed. but oh well...)

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#10 | Back to Top09-30-2007 04:51:09 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I'm pretty sure "Gio" stands for "Graz'zt's Irresistible Ophidian," so I guess that clinches that.

Eh? Eh?

How did I get involved in this?

...aside from the evil demon bastard sammich I've got going in my head. etc-wankgirl

#11 | Back to Top09-30-2007 10:30:16 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Jellineck wrote:

http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Image.php?id=53741 !!!!!

HAWT. etc-wankdude

#12 | Back to Top10-04-2007 05:22:48 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

I can't believe it. There's a detail that we completely missed. Graz'zt's association with the "Queen of Witches" Iggwilv. Not his sister per say or under his control (in fact he spent their time together in HER service) Not much but it's another detail to bind two of my favorite things together. They wound up making one of the most vile villans of D&D together to boot ick.

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#13 | Back to Top10-04-2007 05:53:33 PM

Jellineck

Aha! Just since I'm image-whoring Graz'zt to the max...

http://paizo.com/image/product/magazine_issue/dungeon/121/cover_500.jpg

Another great parallel brought up that I missed. Yes, their love/hate relationship is really one of the only ral glimpses we have into a deeper element of Graz'zt (similiar to Akio). However, there really isn't a lot of insight into the nature of their emotions towards each other, so it's hard to figure the extent of the similarity. Now if only Iggwilv was his sister, I'd be creeped the shit out....

#14 | Back to Top10-04-2007 07:37:05 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

and now to find more parallels with other demon lords and such. XD

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#15 | Back to Top10-04-2007 09:53:32 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

There is NOTHING wrong with image-whoring Graz'zt.

#16 | Back to Top10-05-2007 02:52:03 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

There is NOTHING wrong with image-whoring Graz'zt.

Seconded for truth. This guy officially replaced Dark Schneider for Akio's demontwin. (DS is sorta like Akio's loudmouth violent brother. school-eng101)

#17 | Back to Top10-05-2007 11:44:05 AM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

Now if only that demonomincon article would just pop-up we might actually get more info. Tidbit's on Iggwilv have been slowly been fed through that series and in Dragon magazine in particular. Can you tell I'm eagerly trolling the Official site. Hmm if any one has either of the Fiendish Codexes or Hordes of the Abyss I'm sure those might have some insights.

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#18 | Back to Top10-05-2007 11:52:54 PM

Jellineck

Hmm if any one has either of the Fiendish Codexes or Hordes of the Abyss I'm sure those might have some insights.

I have the Book of Vile Darkness and Hoardes of the Abyss. The latter is a bit more useful, but there's still nothing really exclusive that you couldn't find online.

Seconded for truth. This guy officially replaced Dark Schneider for Akio's demontwin. (DS is sorta like Akio's loudmouth violent brother.

He seems really sexy and cool until you meet him via D&D. Then you realize he's just sort of a big sadistic really misogynistic asshole. Kind of like if the worst of Saionji had a lovechild with Akio. Then again, my DM sort of plays him that way. He can also be very elegant and charming depending on your campaign. I should post some samples sometime.

But, anyway, time for more whoring!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Demon_lord_Grazzt_by_nJoo.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Iggwilv_summons_Grazz__t_by_nJoo.jpg

#19 | Back to Top10-06-2007 12:08:18 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Jellineck I think I love you.

Since it just wouldn't be right to love Graz'zt.

#20 | Back to Top12-11-2007 12:37:12 AM

Jellineck

I have absolutely no justification for reviving this thread except for this single image, which is really all that I need.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Graz__zt__the_Abyssal_Lord_by_Johnd.jpg

As an afterthought, maybe this one too -

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/Iggwilv_and_Graz__zt_Set_by_apeacoc.jpg

Aaaaaawww! It's plushie Graz'zt and his ho-bag! Oh, my little psycho love. I thought I was your favorite chewtoy.

Last edited by Jellineck (12-11-2007 12:37:51 AM)

#21 | Back to Top12-23-2007 02:02:14 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

etc-wankgirlpoptart

This thread rules. I usually play "chaotic"/psychotic characters if I touch D&D. I actually found a group I'm going to start playing with as soon as I buy a player's guidebook and "Drow of the Underdark" so I can play the wierdest Drow they will ever see.

IMHO-Akio would be best portrayed (in mortal form) as a male Drow follower of Vaerun, the Drow God of theivery and evil Drow activities on the surface. Not submissive to women, but a charming outsider and great at illusions and trickery.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

Board footer