This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-29-2007 03:22:35 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

S-s-s-s-superstitious!

So, there are a lot of superstitions, lots of things that people do 'cause it's lucky or don't do 'cause it's unlucky. Do you have any personal superstitions? For our international posters, any nifty superstitions or customs you can think to share?

Personally, whenever I get a new sketchbook, I never start a sketch on the first page.

Oh, and here's something: Once at a resturant I left my ring on the table without realizing it, and our waitress brought them out and caught us before we got in the car. She wouldn't hand them to me, tho. Instead, she placed them on the hood of the car for me to pick them up. I'm pretty sure she was Russian -so, is it jsut bad manners or is there a specific superstition associated with that?

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#2 | Back to Top04-29-2007 08:31:46 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Re: S-s-s-s-superstitious!

Ah yes! I love the sound of this topic! Well, being of Filipino heritage, siblings must never have their weddings within the same year. Bad luck will come to both couples or something like that. I'm not sure where this is from but I never celebrate my birthday before my actual birthday. We always have the party the day of or later.

#3 | Back to Top04-29-2007 09:14:38 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Hm... there are fairytales where sibling got married on the same day, though. So much for "Happily ever after", huh?
As for me, I have a superstition for birthdays, too. It's said that you cannot admit you're 19 years old after your 19th birthday because 19 is the "nightmare year" of people's lives. Unfortunately, school admin doesn't care for that.

#4 | Back to Top04-29-2007 09:16:57 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Not a personal superstition, but in some Jewish traditions, it is bad luck to name a child after a living relative.  The rationale is that when the angel of death comes for the elder relative, it may get confused...  Reminds me of those surgery horror stories where they operate on the wrong limb emot-gonk

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top04-29-2007 09:18:39 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I never, ever mention the word Macbeth while I'm in the theater. You're supposed to say "the Scottish Play" when you refer to Macbeth while in a theater. If you say Macbeth, something VERY bad will happen to you unless if you go outside, spin around three times, and spit. Whistling is not allowed either.

Also, there is always a ghost light burning in every theater I've ever been in. A ghost light is a bare bulb left onstage lit through the night. It is believed that this keeps ghosts away.

Oh that's another thing! Like every theater has at least one ghost. I swear, ALL theaters are haunted to some degree. I guess ghosts like theaters? Did you know that theaters have a "dark night" (a night where there is no show playing, usually on Monday) not only to give the actors a break but to also let the ghosts perform the show themselves?

I've talked to actors that have a lot of superstitions that they follow like some kind of religion. Actors are extremely superstitious people and being a musician/musical director, I've managed to pick up a couple from them. The Macbeth thing, the whistling thing, the never saying good luck thing.

Otherwise, I have no superstitions. Only theater stuff. emot-biggrin

#6 | Back to Top04-29-2007 09:19:53 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Mm~ But there's only so many names to choose from...
Another superstition I always live by. When my eyelids start jumping, if it's the top left, it's good omen, and bad omen for top right. Reverse for the bottom ones

#7 | Back to Top04-29-2007 10:31:14 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I'm one of those people who never say 'Macbeth', 'good luck', or whistle when doing a play. I actually start whimpering when we get stargrams with a cheery message of "Good Luck! etc-love" from our parents.

Also, I never clean my makeup box or wear brand-new makeup on opening night. I never went to far as to apply makeup using a rabbit's foot, mind you, but at a fine arts camp I went to, we were taught all the things you shouldn't do when doing a play, especially opening night.

#8 | Back to Top04-29-2007 11:43:53 AM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

My superstitions only go so far as supernatural and good-luck charms, and karma, I think... oh, and when you hear a train go by, you have to keep your feet off the ground. And, uh... I actually own a dharma doll... he only has one eye filled in right now, but sometimes, I get the feeling it really is working... I was shocked, my wish may just come true, no matter how ridiculous or impossible it may sound. emot-aaa And I'd never do those Candy-man or Bloody Mary thingies either.. I don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds too scary to find out. I'm just basically superstitious about mirrors at night. So scary.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#9 | Back to Top04-29-2007 05:43:19 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I'm a believer in the power of Negative Thinking.  I know it sounds weird but in my case, if I get too positive and think that nothing could go wrong, then it invites the Universe to cause bad shit to happen just to prove me wrong.  It's like in those shows when someone said "What could possibly go wrong?" or "At least noning else could go wrong" cos it DOES!

On the other hand, if I think of what could go wrong enough, it seems to prevent it from actually happening.

#10 | Back to Top04-29-2007 08:24:27 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Tamago wrote:

I'm a believer in the power of Negative Thinking.  I know it sounds weird but in my case, if I get too positive and think that nothing could go wrong, then it invites the Universe to cause bad shit to happen just to prove me wrong.  It's like in those shows when someone said "What could possibly go wrong?" or "At least noning else could go wrong" cos it DOES!

On the other hand, if I think of what could go wrong enough, it seems to prevent it from actually happening.

Oh my! That happens to me, too sometimes. When I think "It's going to be a wonderful day", things start to suck

#11 | Back to Top04-29-2007 08:32:04 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I'm mostly not that superstitious. However, I love dandelions, and whenever I see one I like to make a wish and blow all of the fluff/seeds of it and try to get them all off in one blow. I heard as a kid that if you blew them all off in one try, your wish would come true. Althogh, I don't really remember or not if any of my wishes came true or not when I did that, but I just like to do it for fun. Dandelions are so cute. <3

#12 | Back to Top04-29-2007 09:09:48 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

morosemocha wrote:

Personally, whenever I get a new sketchbook, I never start a sketch on the first page.

I never do that as well, but for a different reason . . . Cover page, but that never happens so it is left blank.

I always tend to have bad luck of Friday the 13th and not relise it is Friday the 13th. IE: Recently, got a speeding ticket and parking violation all on the same day . . . only to relise the next day it was Saturday the 14th!

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#13 | Back to Top04-29-2007 09:19:36 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Hiraku wrote:

KNOWS THE POSITIVE POWER OF NEGITIVE THINKING

So I'm not the only one then. school-freudpoptart

#14 | Back to Top04-29-2007 09:32:20 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Tamago wrote:

mmm...Is this superstition or paranoia?

And I thought of a few thigs I still do.  I still make wishes on shed eyelashes.  I still get the urge to knock on wood to prevent a jinx when I describe something good that has happened.  And I still keep a photo of my grandfather on my desk and sometimes address him in my thoughts.

-Truck North

#15 | Back to Top04-29-2007 09:42:05 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

mmm...Is this superstition or paranoia?

And I thought of a few thigs I still do.  I still make wishes on shed eyelashes.  I still get the urge to knock on wood to prevent a jinx when I describe something good that has happened.  And I still keep a photo of my grandfather on my desk and sometimes address him in my thoughts.

Well people in the theatre have that 'Break A Leg' thing for a long time, so in a sense thats a superstition based on Negitive Thinking.

Last edited by Tamago (04-29-2007 09:47:54 PM)

#16 | Back to Top04-29-2007 11:39:21 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

When I spill salt, I always throw some over my shoulder.  Pour into right hand, toss over left shoulder.  I also knock on wood.

I've taken on a couple Japanese superstitions (which may have roots in Shinto or Buddhism), such as the fact that I don't orient my bed with the head pointing north, and a few involving numbers considered unlucky by the Japanese (four and nine, for those of you keeping score).

As for Negative Thinking, I've found that whenever I think I have everything I need, I'm almost always forgetting something.  It keeps me on my toes.

But nothing involving black cats.  I own a black cat, my second-ever black cat, and my boyfriend also has a black cat.  Cats are cats, and I take them on an individual basis.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#17 | Back to Top04-30-2007 06:32:16 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

mercurynin wrote:

As for Negative Thinking, I've found that whenever I think I have everything I need, I'm almost always forgetting something.  It keeps me on my toes.

But nothing involving black cats.  I own a black cat, my second-ever black cat, and my boyfriend also has a black cat.  Cats are cats, and I take them on an individual basis.

Yeah, I find that whenever I'm doing anything at all, I'm forgetting something.

And black cats are beautiful. emot-keke  You should post some pics!

-Truck North

#18 | Back to Top04-30-2007 11:03:51 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

OMFG, I have an end of the year presentation to do in exactly forty-six minutes, but I always found it to be a source of good luck to spend time posting something on this forum, even if it ends up making me horrifically late. emot-keke

I interviewed a Korean (married into my family) straight from Seoul, and here were a few things we noticed...

Both S. Korea and U.S. have the superstition:  "Breaking a mirror equals 7 years bad luck."

In Korean culture, when you are out drinking, at say, a karaoke room... it is bad luck for you to pour your own drink. Meaning, if you pour your own drink, the person SITTING ACROSS FROM YOU gets bad luck for three years. (we think this is a tradition made up to keep people on their politest toes) So, if you are watching someone in front of you pouring a drink, but you do not feel like actually getting up and pouring it yourself, you must at least reach over the table and touch the glass and say, "Toom" (or that's what it SOUNDED like, I am not sure if it was an actual word, or just the sound effect of a finger touching glass) which removes the bad luck.

Also, superstitious Koreans believe that you should not clip your toenails at night. Old ones, like grandpapas, will become very upset if you do. The legend says that a little rat will come and eat your nails, and at that very moment an evil twin of your own is born.

Another different, not superstition, but Rule in Korea, is that females cannot smoke outside! (I said I would be in trouble, but was assured that it was okay for foreigners to do so) It's considered very impolite and horrible mannered, they look at it like we would look at a prostitute standing on the street corner snorting a line of cocaine. For real! My Korean relative & I were both smokers, when we were in Asian shopping districts or at her work, sometimes she would not smoke at all, other times, she would duck down and hide. She said, if she spoke "English only" and walked with a foreigner, she may get a way with smoking in public in Korea, but if you get bad luck, and old man will come over and begin yelling at you for your insolence!

Again, a difference in S. Korea, Seoul especially, is the way they will shout at the small disproportionate number of female drivers, housewives, who are driving SLOW. Yes, roll the windows down and cuss, "Motherfucking bitch, GO COOK! Your place is in the kitchen!" Yeah! Wow! emot-aaa

My personal superstitions, I don't really have any...but my "lucky number" is 13. And I adore black cats. Walking underneath ladders when I see them. Stepping on the cracks of the sidewalk. I used to (when I was a teenager) go out of my way to do unlucky things, to prove that there wasn't any such thing as luck, but that you make your own. Now, I do not go out of my way to prove, but I still believe it's true. I do, however, love to listen to the occasional fortune cookie! emot-keke

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#19 | Back to Top04-30-2007 12:04:37 PM

Starfire
Rose Smilee

If I have to do anything that involves picking a number, it has to be nine. And if I have to pick a direction it's always taking the right. In cinema's I have to sit on the right side...I think black cats are seriously cute and huggable. I opened umbrella's indoors for ages and nothing bad ever happened to me. Hmmm, before exams I have to say good luck to each of my friends and have them say it back to me.

You know you want to. You need to. You have no choice. Do it.

#20 | Back to Top04-30-2007 12:35:05 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

The number 9... I think that's associated with the idea of "completion". I felt that way, too. I think it might have been the influence by X-Files (They had an episode about the numbers. It was an episode where there're 4 instead of 2 FBI agents)

#21 | Back to Top05-01-2007 01:47:18 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Wow, I love this thread!

I have a magic-8 ball that's never been wrong so far... not just any magic-8 ball, but this one always works.  It has yet to be wrong.
I also tend to trust the fortune cookies I get.
Oh, something odd and slightly superstitiousy, on my left ring finger on the little lines where the finger bends, I have the eye of Isis on my finger (I was born with it.)  It's really creepy!

Morosemocha, if you ever find out why the woman wouldn't directly hand it to you, please tell me.  That's a really interesting one!

I don't know if this is superstitious, but I read palms.

Last edited by Iris (05-01-2007 01:48:14 PM)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#22 | Back to Top05-01-2007 02:01:01 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I'm just like you, Emiemipoemi. I follow all theatre superstitions very closely. I remember once in theatre, we were going around and saying our favorite plays or ones we know of if we don't have a favorite [Just FYI, my favorites are A Streetcar Named Desire and The Laramie Project]. One of the new girls said Romeo and Juliet, and so that gave all the new kids the idea to say Shakespeare. A girl said Macbeth, and the very second after she did, the fire alarm went off. Creepy much?

Other than that, I don't believe in superstitions. Being born on the thirteenth, I guess I was destined to be unlucky or something. I guess it was true, look at me now. But anyway, I never knock on wood or throw salt or anything, just because I like to bother people who are superstitious.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#23 | Back to Top05-01-2007 02:09:42 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Iris wrote:

Wow, I love this thread!

I have a magic-8 ball that's never been wrong so far... not just any magic-8 ball, but this one always works.  It has yet to be wrong.
I also tend to trust the fortune cookies I get.
Oh, something odd and slightly superstitiousy, on my left ring finger on the little lines where the finger bends, I have the eye of Isis on my finger (I was born with it.)  It's really creepy!

Morosemocha, if you ever find out why the woman wouldn't directly hand it to you, please tell me.  That's a really interesting one!

I don't know if this is superstitious, but I read palms.

Whoa that's cool! Take a picture! emot-biggrin

#24 | Back to Top05-01-2007 02:12:04 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Okay, once I get my scanner up and working I will.  I don't know how well it will turn out, but I can try

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#25 | Back to Top05-02-2007 03:06:51 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I'm weird about backlash. (I'd call it karma, but having read the Bhagavad Gita I know "karma" as it is popularly used is the incorrect definition). I fear that anything negative I will do will come back tenfold, while anything positive I do may or may not come back, and the same rules do not apply to others.

Pretty self-centered philosophy. emot-rolleyes

Board footer