This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top05-02-2009 06:08:13 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Re: "WHAT is UTENA ?" its' very hard to answer............

sharnii wrote:

Miss Bluesky I like your drinking game version and will have to somehow convince rl friends to get trashed with me. Er I mean to "play" with me. emot-tongue

Cheers emot-biggrin See, I'd actually love to do summat like that, but I know not a single person but my brother who likes anime.
Not. A. Bloody. One.
I may still do it (Yay for decent into lone alcoholism).

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#27 | Back to Top05-02-2009 06:16:22 PM

Melegant
Anthy Assailer

Miss Bluesky wrote:

(Yay for decent into lone alcoholism).

<off topic>Alcoholism is very outgoing event, it is not true that means seclusion. Trust me.</off topic>

"Lascivious grace, in whom all ill well shows,
Kill me with spites; yet we must not be foes."

- William Shakespeare, sonnet n. 40 -

#28 | Back to Top05-02-2009 06:44:48 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

This is a question I've struggled with, and while I realize there isn't a way to honestly condense the series into one less than a paragraph, I have thought of a sentence, that's Utena worthy.

"Utena is a psychological Fairy tale"

This has usually lead to long conversations with people about the many aspects, and it becomes a rewarding conversation for each person involved... In fact it's how I casually convert people to Utena....yes I do believe SKU is a religion....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#29 | Back to Top05-02-2009 06:49:25 PM

Melegant
Anthy Assailer

Oh, come on, dear Soul! Do not insult Utena. It is much more than "religion". It is an idea - with many aspects and reflections.

#30 | Back to Top05-02-2009 07:39:50 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Melegant wrote:

It is an idea - with many aspects and reflections.

In my experience, that is in fact what religion is. I've yet to meet a trully uniform religion, that was devoid of many aspects and reflections...

however I do admit the word religion does cheapen Utena somehow.... -____-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999

#31 | Back to Top05-02-2009 08:03:19 PM

Melegant
Anthy Assailer

I disagree. With religion is a huge problem - it is just an arrogant dogma that does not let you to create something own. Religion is full of barriers and borders.

Maybe You mean some kind of "faith", "conviction" or personal philosophy, but religion is more likely shackle. And - in my opinion - Utena means wings, not chains.

#32 | Back to Top05-02-2009 10:15:14 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Melegant wrote:

Maybe You mean some kind of "faith", "conviction" or personal philosophy, but religion is more likely shackle. And - in my opinion - Utena means wings, not chains.

Oh UTENA is not a conviction, just a firm belief (paraphrasing what the great Eddy and Patsy said in Absolutely Fabulous). emot-roflemot-rofl

#33 | Back to Top05-02-2009 10:36:36 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Melegant wrote:

I disagree. With religion is a huge problem - it is just an arrogant dogma that does not let you to create something own. Religion is full of barriers and borders.

Religion is a set of beliefs.... it is the person who decides wether these beliefs amount to chains or wings... In Utena we may find ourselves coming to conclusions over what is evidence and what is not. It is up to the person to take what they believe about Utena and combine what they have found into their own philosophy about what Utena is....<--- and that is religion....

#34 | Back to Top05-02-2009 10:37:53 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

.... but seriously... I'm not up for debating, and I'm glad that SKU is what it is.

#35 | Back to Top05-03-2009 03:57:18 AM

Melegant
Anthy Assailer

If this is Your theory of a religion, it is all right. However, I apperceive "religion" in more pejorative way. It is very subjective - as all on the world.

Be glad, I am glad too. <smile> But do not You think that debates can enrich everyone who participates in them?

#36 | Back to Top05-03-2009 11:14:49 AM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Yeah I agree about debating. After all, schools of thought might not have grown or even existed without it....

#37 | Back to Top05-03-2009 11:55:15 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

I genereally see Utena as a piece of entertainment underpinned by a few messages. One of them seems to be that being a teen sucks. I guess another would be sex = power....

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#38 | Back to Top05-03-2009 01:18:23 PM

Melegant
Anthy Assailer

Miss Bluesky wrote:

I guess another would be sex = power....

This is jokeful! I did not see this in Utena, but okay... it is Your (original) concept. So.. do You agree? That sex means or brings power?

Dear Soul, this is one of the religion's problem - religion does not like new thoughts or interpretations. Leastways I have not met any religion which is tolerant or at least apathic.

#39 | Back to Top05-03-2009 01:41:13 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Well, it seems that Akio is a very sexualised being, and he's certainly the one pulling the strings, so that's one link right there. Also you have Touga, who seems to work along similar lines. Tswabuki, in his epsiodes, wishes to be a grown-up (and be powerful), and part of the way he tries to do this is through making the moves on his friend and watching a movie on romantic (sexual) interaction.
Also, in the movie at least, it's implied that having power of the Rose Bride also means having the right to use her sexually.
But I don't know, maybe that was just my view. :/

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#40 | Back to Top05-03-2009 01:50:37 PM

Melegant
Anthy Assailer

Yes, authors were playing with sex quite enough (dramatically even humorously). But I asked on Your opinion; do You agree that sex = power?

#41 | Back to Top07-02-2009 07:09:47 AM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

UTENA is to the traditional fairy tale what WATCHMEN is to the superhero genre.

#42 | Back to Top07-02-2009 08:38:00 AM

Setsuna
Tragedian

Itsuke wrote:

UTENA is to the traditional fairy tale what WATCHMEN is to the superhero genre.

Awesome. poptart

#43 | Back to Top07-02-2009 02:17:48 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

purplepolecat wrote:

It's the Evangelion of shoujo.

The only two forums I frequent are this one and Evageeks, and I've noticed that those snobby Eva fans don't seem to want to touch Utena. I dunno how to explain it to them. Utena is even known (when it's known at ALL) over there for being the "Evangelion of shoujo" but its not considered as GOOD as Eva (which I totally don't agree with. They're both on the same level for me.) Probably because there's no Uber Anthy floating over the Academy bleeding from vagina hands or something. Sometimes being able to answer "What is Utena?" is just not good enough. emot-frown

#44 | Back to Top07-02-2009 05:44:08 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

Emiemipoemi wrote:

purplepolecat wrote:

It's the Evangelion of shoujo.

The only two forums I frequent are this one and Evageeks, and I've noticed that those snobby Eva fans don't seem to want to touch Utena. I dunno how to explain it to them. Utena is even known (when it's known at ALL) over there for being the "Evangelion of shoujo" but its not considered as GOOD as Eva (which I totally don't agree with. They're both on the same level for me.) Probably because there's no Uber Anthy floating over the Academy bleeding from vagina hands or something. Sometimes being able to answer "What is Utena?" is just not good enough. emot-frown

Strangely enough I know tons of people who also don't want to admit how good or complex it is. I've experienced the same with Angel Sanctuary. People look like they're listening, then roll their eyes and act like "No, Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion are the best."
emot-mad There's other fucking good complicated anime out there! I mean I think its might be because it's shoujo, honestly. Because lots of people I know don't take Shoujo seriously. It's their loss though.
But I know one thing, if I ever teach a college film class I will have a Utena 12 week project, because some of the directing and concepts are way beyond most American techniques. Ever.

#45 | Back to Top07-02-2009 06:45:55 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Setsuna wrote:

People look like they're listening, then roll their eyes and act like "No, Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion are the best."
emot-mad There's other fucking good complicated anime out there! I mean I think its might be because it's shoujo, honestly. Because lots of people I know don't take Shoujo seriously. It's their loss though.

I totally understand what are you saying. I have seen enough of those people. They think SKU is lame because it lacks a futuristic atmosphere; and it doesn't have an emo teenage boy with sexual anxiety in a giant mecha complaining about daddy doesn't love him. They don't get SKU because its messages are subtle and not completely spelled out. Don't get me wrong, I think Ghost in the Shell and Eva are profound for exploring the human condition/existance. Nonetheless, I would avoid comparing SKU with Ghost in the Shell and Eva. To me, SKU it's the best, but other fans also think their beloved anime is the best. What's important is to keep an open mind, don't judge an anime by its genre.

Setsuna wrote:

But I know one thing, if I ever teach a college film class I will have a Utena 12 week project, because some of the directing and concepts are way beyond most American techniques. Ever.

That's a great idea, SKU could get more exposure in the west.

#46 | Back to Top07-02-2009 07:10:48 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Setsuna wrote:

Yes plz. I would totally take that class.

#47 | Back to Top07-02-2009 08:11:06 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

Well SKU doesn't have to have futuristic themes because this is the most psychological dealt with anime I've ever seen. If my mom wasn't a psychologist I'd be fucked try to figure out what was going on. I think that its one of those things like Watchmen where people don't try to even understand.
At least in college you're the one paying to learn, and so people would have to listen to get a good grade. I know for a fact that SKU has actually been brought up in a USC and Cal State psychology of film class, but just not studied extensively like I want to.
I actually think that class would need multiple teachers though, and the essays would be absolutely great, but a bitch to grade.

#48 | Back to Top07-05-2009 11:35:26 AM

ToriJ
Saionji Slapper

Siatiger wrote:

Sometimes my friends, or company and ects, they give me Q. "WHAT is UTENA (animation)?"

very simple Q.but hard to answer........ I can't say or define..'Utena is s!@DAS2"

What we can say..or explain for the general people to understand easy?

have you ever explain?emot-gonk

Girl meet boy, girl impressed with boy, girl dresses up like boy, girl meets another girl with jerk guy who beats on her, girl end up fighting stupid boy, wins, get stuck with girl who is called rose bride, stuff happens...

As you can see I couldn't explain really well so I would just force them to watch it. school-devil

#49 | Back to Top07-19-2009 06:40:41 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

I'd say it's a show about a girl who wants to be a prince and lots of stuff happens. If anyone asks what that stuff is, I'll tell them just to watch the show because I don't want to spoil it for them.

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

#50 | Back to Top07-19-2009 10:06:32 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Here's another one: UTENA is what Disney will never be~

Board footer