This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:32:28 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Re: "Broad spectrum?"

Interesting... Interesting...

I'm one of the "old folks" on the forum (which I am hereby declaring as over the age of 25).  I'm 27, white (German, through and through), bisexual and finally middle-classed.  Yay!  My first encounter with Utena was at age 19 from my one friend in college, a straight guy that had been sent the first 4 episodes on fansub.  I remember being in shock from all the roses.  I was barely a year into the discovery of anime and I came from a really yuppie place, so looking at Utena as more than the outer fluff was hard.  Thankfully that changed a couple years later after I'd seen a lot and decided to give Utena another shot.

As for diversity of Utena fanbs, my best friend is a couple years younger than me, white, female, straight and Catholic and she enjoys the show.  She didn't like the ending, but I don;t think she realized the story was not meant to have a "happy ending".  I also don;t think she actually paid attention to the whole ending.  But it's so interesting who all likes Utena.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#27 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:35:11 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

It would actually also be interesting to see how many people here don't really like happy endings. I'm not keen on them because all too often they seem like they've been tacked on to keep the fans happy.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#28 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:42:06 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

I like good endings. Sometimes that means happy endings, sometimes not. It really depends on the series.

Utena, for the record, has an awesome ending, one of the best I've ever seen in anime (really not saying much, though, since anime has a strong tendancy towards horribly botched endings).

#29 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:49:48 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Mmm, yeah, I have to say... I'm usually incredibly dissatisfied with endings, whether they are happy OR sad.  Especially in anime.

When I first found out how SKU ended... I was totally... upset, confused, devestated.  I felt that Anthy leaving at the end was just a... consolation prize for destroying my wonderful hero Utena.  Realizing that the ending was, in fact, perfect (and, I think, pretty happy in most ways) was one of the greatest feelings of epiphany I've had in my life.

I mean, I remember the exact moment with complete clarity.  What's that saying? 

That I'm a freak?  Well, that's a given. emot-biggrin  I wonder if initial reactions to SKU's ending deserves a thread..............I always feel like I'm taking liberties when I make threads.  I don't wanna.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (12-12-2006 11:50:50 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#30 | Back to Top12-13-2006 03:00:02 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Blade wrote:

I like good endings. Sometimes that means happy endings, sometimes not. It really depends on the series.

Utena, for the record, has an awesome ending, one of the best I've ever seen in anime (really not saying much, though, since anime has a strong tendancy towards horribly botched endings).

We may be at each others' throats on the other thread, so to speak, but I agree with you here. The right ending is the most important thing and that's what I liked about the end of SKU (well, besides the fact that it was indeed the end). Sometimes happy endings are appropriate, and when they are I like them. My issue with them arises when they seem to exist not because they're the right ending but because the writer thought it would make the fans happy.

#31 | Back to Top12-13-2006 07:22:10 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Mmm...21 white female, although I'm pretty much straight, despite some bi-curious leanings. I am pretty poverty-stricken, though -I literally live below the poverty line, so low that I haven't had to pay taxes the last couple years. I proudly proclaim my Italian heritage, but my mom's side of the family is interesting, too -and makes me INCREDIBLY white. My great-grandmother traced it back about 600 years or so after her husband died in the late 80's, so I know that we had family that was part of both the Civil War (one of the very few to survive Pickett's Charge, actually) and the Revolutionary War. She traced it back through to the Mayflower (and a gen or two beyond before she had to give up) so I guess that means Thanksgiving should have more meaning for me then it does -I hate turkey so bad. Also, Buffalo Bill Cody? Like, my great-great-great uncle. emot-keke

Aside, you might know more about my family then you think! Anybody here ever watch Wings, the old show on NBC? One of the writers, David Lee, I think, was my cousin's roommate at Yale. All the stories that Antonio told about the old country and his family? At least 75% of those are about my family.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#32 | Back to Top12-13-2006 07:34:17 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

morosemocha wrote:

I proudly proclaim my Italian heritage

Necessity, given how Italian you look. emot-wink

...I almost without fail root for the bad guy, so endings tend to disappoint me. emot-frown Except SKU...well in a sense Akio wins. Not by the standards of the show, but he'll end up getting what he wanted. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#33 | Back to Top12-13-2006 07:45:24 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

morosemocha wrote:

I proudly proclaim my Italian heritage

Necessity, given how Italian you look. emot-wink

Hahahaha! You should see my prom pics. I look a bit Sophia Loren -crossed with a chipmunk, though, cause I have a really round face. I hate my sister, cause she looks like Audrey Hepburn. When I do her makeup for cosplays though, inevitably people ask her if she's japanese, which I just don't understand, because she looks more Italian then I do. She looks more like the Greek/Tuscan part of the family. Little bitch has gorgeous skin.

Giovanna wrote:

...I almost without fail root for the bad guy, so endings tend to disappoint me. emot-frown Except SKU...well in a sense Akio wins. Not by the standards of the show, but he'll end up getting what he wanted. cool

Indeed. I say Ikuhara needs to rewrite the ending and have Akio get what he wants. A harem.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#34 | Back to Top12-13-2006 10:47:05 AM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

I like good endings too. I'd have to say that the best endings to an anime I've ever seen were the ending to SKU, and the ending to the Tenchi Muyo TV series (which is kind of funny because I think the OVA series is much better in every other regard).

The ending to Victorian Romance Emma made me horribly angry, even though it was realistic.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#35 | Back to Top12-13-2006 11:28:06 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I'm 18, female, an Estonian, Low/Middle-class. Estonian is also my native language but we learn a lot of other languages in school. I only consider myself good at English, since I haven't had many chances to practice my Russian or German outside of classes. As for my sexual orientation, I'll leave it undefine since I place absolutely no importance to it. Funny thing is I can't really talk about it here in Estonia since most people are quite narrow-minded and homophobic. Racists? You bet! If people were more open-minded around here, I'd like living here much more. In fact, if it wasn't for the language and culture, I wouldn't have anything to do with Estonians. So what our country is famous hot women!
Anyeway, the point is, I don't consider myself an average Estonian. I don't have absolutely anything against people with different nationality/skin colour/sexual orientation/whatever but it saddens me that the majority here does. emot-gonk

And I love this forum. etc-love This is the best thing to happen to internet in a long time! I've been to so many forums and eventually most of them lost their politeness or turned into Spamfests. Also, this is one of the few forums I feel welcomed to and for some reason I come here waaaay too often. This is always the first place I visit when I'm online and it's so damn hard to stay away from here.

What does this show? That SKU is still around and does not even plan to leave after being released about 10 years ago AND that the wonderful webmistressesesesses of Empty Movement are doing a great job at sharing their love for SKU with everyone else. school-eng101

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#36 | Back to Top12-14-2006 12:09:15 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Maarika, your English is better than that of many native English-speakers. At least, it sure appears that way.

#37 | Back to Top12-14-2006 05:39:52 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Why thank you! I hope I'll do well on my exams.
I've had a few other people told me that my English is better than some of the native-speakers'. That's so illogical to me, my grammar may be fine mostly, but not only do I mess up when actually talking to someone in English, but I also have an accent so it makes it harder for them to understand me. And there are still so many phrases and idioms I don't understand, not to mention slang.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#38 | Back to Top12-14-2006 09:07:11 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Slang and idioms don't translate between languages so you have to learn them within the context of their language which makes them difficult. And writing is always easier than talking because you can go back and fix your mistakes. At least, I've certainly found that to be the case with my Spanish.

#39 | Back to Top12-14-2006 10:08:00 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

I might as well jump on in. Hong Kong Chinese, lived in Japan for 3 years, now living in Texas. XD. Incidentally, A Day Without Me's post interested me, because I am an ex-officer in the military. school-devil

#40 | Back to Top12-14-2006 10:27:36 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Ger, that is cool. Very cool. I loved Japan when I visited it, though I don't know if I'd want to live there.

#41 | Back to Top12-15-2006 03:04:49 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Ger wrote:

I might as well jump on in. Hong Kong Chinese, lived in Japan for 3 years, now living in Texas. XD. Incidentally, A Day Without Me's post interested me, because I am an ex-officer in the military. school-devil

I'm Shanghainese living in Texas~ But I'm more than likely a horrible representation of either of the two.

#42 | Back to Top12-15-2006 08:33:25 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Ger, that is cool. Very cool. I loved Japan when I visited it, though I don't know if I'd want to live there.

I loved living there, though I don't know if I'd want to live in Tokyo again. I lived there for 2 years then moved up north to this tiny hick town in the northernmost prefecture of Aomori. Everyone in Tokyo told me I'd hate it, and I absolutely loved it. XD Tokyo is just too...urban for me to stand for long periods of time. If that makes any sense. Maybe I'm not enough of a people person.

allegoriest wrote:

Ger wrote:

I'm Shanghainese living in Texas~ But I'm more than likely a horrible representation of either of the two.

HEY! CHINESE TEXANS UNITE! school-devilschool-devil

#43 | Back to Top12-15-2006 01:06:47 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Chiming in to say Caucasian female (euro-mutt, mostly Ukrainian and Prussian), 24, bi, and currently struggling barely above the poverty line. I only speak English, though I am learning Japanese, and I am neither well-traveled nor terribly literate, although I'm aspiring to both.

I'm glad everyone likes it here. I like it here too, and to be honest, both Gio and I were worrying about what kind of people we would have-- so many anime forums are just filled with genki baka omg animu ^____________________^ hai hai fans. I am so wonderfully, fantastically surprised and delighted that we have such a gorgeous crowd of people here-- people who think, discuss, and handle controversial topics in a mature manner, accepting people who seem more than willing to be honest and genuine in the things they talk about-- that I can't wait to check the forum whenever I get the chance. etc-love Thanks, guys. etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#44 | Back to Top12-15-2006 01:25:55 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Yasha wrote:

people who think, discuss, and handle controversial topics in a mature manner, accepting people who seem more than willing to be honest and genuine in the things they talk about-- that I can't wait to check the forum whenever I get the chance. etc-love Thanks, guys. etc-love

That's right - we rock.  We so rock the casbah.

Though what rocks even more is that we have such a magnificent place to go and discuss all the various things we do.  My hat's off to both you gorgeous gals.  *bows*

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#45 | Back to Top12-15-2006 01:37:04 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Aie.  I'm olllllld.  As in, 38.  White, almost entirely Irish-American, middle-class, and I'm a great big dyke.  My Kinsey's pegged all the way over there.  Yeah, there, only further. 

Native to the state of Delaware, currently living a modern Boston Marriage with a younger woman and a trio of feline overlords.  I only speak English, though I can passably read Spanish if there's a dictionary close to hand, and was once passable in Klingon.

#46 | Back to Top12-15-2006 03:40:12 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Klingon? Nice, you're a true geek. emot-keke

#47 | Back to Top12-15-2006 10:57:25 PM

A Day Without Me

Ger wrote:

Sweet! emot-keke

Ger wrote:

I loved living there, though I don't know if I'd want to live in Tokyo again. I lived there for 2 years then moved up north to this tiny hick town in the northernmost prefecture of Aomori.

Dude, Aomori makes the best rice-derived alcohol! Everyone says it tastes like lighter fluid, and it does, but it is AMAZING lighter fluid!

Yasha wrote:

I'm glad everyone likes it here. I like it here too, and to be honest, both Gio and I were worrying about what kind of people we would have-- so many anime forums are just filled with genki baka omg animu ^____________________^ hai hai fans. I am so wonderfully, fantastically surprised and delighted that we have such a gorgeous crowd of people here-- people who think, discuss, and handle controversial topics in a mature manner, accepting people who seem more than willing to be honest and genuine in the things they talk about-- that I can't wait to check the forum whenever I get the chance. etc-love Thanks, guys. etc-love

Eh, I am capable of disintegrating into that kind of fan, but usually only when exposed to way too cute for it's own good shounen-ai ^.^;

tohubohu wrote:

Native to the state of Delaware, currently living a modern Boston Marriage with a younger woman and a trio of feline overlords.

I would just like to take this moment to brag about the fact that my home state boasts being the creator of TWO descriptive phrases for relationships... thank you, Massachusetts - you have served this country well.

(the other one I am referring to is, of course, a Massachusetts Marriage, or Massachusetts Wedding, which, at least in my experience, is used colloquially in the United States to refer to gay marriages)

Last edited by A Day Without Me (12-15-2006 11:04:37 PM)

#48 | Back to Top12-15-2006 11:06:56 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

well, I'm African American and Caucasian, bisexual, middle class, agnostic and I live in Ca.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#49 | Back to Top12-15-2006 11:24:49 PM

A Day Without Me

Oo, religion now!

I don't have any religion, I guess I just lost it a few years back. I wouldn't term myself an atheist or an agnostic, though - I just... don't have any particular beliefs except that a higher power, if in existence, is closer to what the Greeks thought the gods were like than what Western religions seem to think god is like. Oh, and that evolution happened emot-biggrin

But I would call myself religion neutral before anything else.

#50 | Back to Top12-15-2006 11:36:56 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Eighteen-year-old, upper-middle-class American mutt (English/German/French/Irish/Norwegian from mother's side, Russian/Japanese from father's).  For orientation we'll go with asexual, and there exists just as much ambivalence towards religion.

I'm also very pleased with the maturity and tolerance on this board.  We've amassed quite a crowd!

Oh, and Razara -- I entered the Utena fandom and cosplay community at 14 (running a domain and all -- what was I thinking?), so I'm familiar with that unpleasant age-filter -- though I'll reassure you that you are far from needing one, and I don't think anyone has cause to place one upon you.  You're excellent.

Board footer