This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-10-2015 01:29:03 AM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

[fanfiction... sort of] "Rebuild of Utena"

So, basically, I was feeling recently like I wanted to make fan content for Utena in some way, but more often than not I don't really feel comfortable writing other peoples' characters, and a large part of Utena to me is stuff like the architectural design and symbolic camera shots, which is stuff you can't really convey in a straight-up story.

However, I found a solution to this problem.

I was thinking about how I would design my own alternate continuity to Utena, changing things around and introducing new motifs just as each existing Utena continuity did to its predecessors. Considering how Evangelion has an alternate continuity in the form of four movies, I thought a "Rebuild of Utena" would be interesting to think about. (The name, which is tentative anyway, is the only part of this that parallels Eva - I have not actually finished watching Eva yet.)

So, I decided to write up an article on an old wiki I used to use to screw around on, presenting my idea for this alternate continuity as if it actually existed. The fanfiction part comes in when I decided to actually write scene-by-scene synopses of the movies, acting as though they were describing something that already exists. This allows me to describe musical cues, shot types, etc. I've only just started so it's just the opening scenes for now, but I wanted to show my initial ideas to some people, since Utena is a show open to so many different interpretations that my own speculations probably miss some important other perspectives.

Now, I've put a lot of "what do I personally like" into deciding how to redesign the world of Utena, so if you disagree with a change, well, that's fairly realistic - a lot of people dislike actual new versions of old works because of changes they made, after all. Of course, feel free to bring it up, whether you just want to mention it, give a criticism about it, or ask me why I did it. This project is still very early so I will doubtlessly be filling in ideas later. In fact, I have a lot more planned out than I have written down, so if you have any questions about how I'd handle something I'd love to answer them.

( Saying "if you have questions ask them" makes me feel a bit arrogant in that I'm assuming there's going to be questions, though, but whatever! xu )

Here's the link to the wiki page. I figured it'd be a bit futile to post it here given how much I might be rearranging and changing.

Also, I should give credit - the names of the first three of the movies were taken from satyreyes' post in this thread that offered a possible localization of the "mokushi kushimo" verse from ZUM. And the fourth movie, though my own name, uses the same thematic naming.

aa this is probably such a stupid idea but im posting it anywaaayyyyy

im a shadow play girl irl

#2 | Back to Top02-10-2015 03:35:56 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Re: [fanfiction... sort of] "Rebuild of Utena"

the scene suddenly cuts to a display of seven glass coffins of the following colors, from left to right: red, green, orange, light blue, yellow, dark blue and teal. Each one contains a silhouette in it, and is marked with an "OCCUPIED". With the sound of something sliding out of place, the green coffin shines as its message changes to "VACANT".

I like this, it's like life-support pods.
And the opening scene has a very theater-y feel to it.
I'm curious to see how this develops, I quite like your approach emot-keke

Board footer