This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top04-25-2007 04:45:04 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: What do you guys think of muslims and islam in general?

Well I know the Islam hell is better thanthe Christian one because, unlike the Christain one, its is possible to get out of hell after a time and get into heaven, most Christains believe that once you do go to hell, you're there forever and ever and ever!

#27 | Back to Top04-25-2007 06:07:56 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

Well most major religions are a load of crap imo.  This one is no different, although I would rank it as equally assinine as Christianity, Hinduism, etc.  If I were forced to choose a religion at this point, I'd probably go for something like one of the modern verisons Wicca which also has spooky "God magic" that the other religions do, but doesn't seem to promote ignorance, intolerance, and general stupidity as much.  I do believe in spirituality and perhaps some kind of spirit realm, but I don't buy into the dogma/mind control of the major religions are selling at all.

#28 | Back to Top04-25-2007 08:29:55 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I must admit I'm puzzled by the concept of "choosing" a religion...is belief a conscious decision?  Don't get me wrong, I went that way myself long ago.  There was a point in my life that I felt there was something wrong with me because I didn't have religion.  Which also leads me to believe that school prayer isn't harmless after all.  I mean, we didn't even have that and I still felt inadequate over the whole thing.  I tried inventing my own belief system, but in the end, belief in the supernatural isn't a choice that most people have available to them.  I could see shopping for a church say, looking for a community you felt at home in, but shopping for religion really seems a bit self-indulgent to me.  Not that self-indulgence is necessarily bad, but that's a topic for a different forum emot-wink

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#29 | Back to Top04-25-2007 08:59:53 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

Stormcrow wrote:

I must admit I'm puzzled by the concept of "choosing" a religion...is belief a conscious decision?  Don't get me wrong, I went that way myself long ago.  There was a point in my life that I felt there was something wrong with me because I didn't have religion.  Which also leads me to believe that school prayer isn't harmless after all.  I mean, we didn't even have that and I still felt inadequate over the whole thing.  I tried inventing my own belief system, but in the end, belief in the supernatural isn't a choice that most people have available to them.  I could see shopping for a church say, looking for a community you felt at home in, but shopping for religion really seems a bit self-indulgent to me.  Not that self-indulgence is necessarily bad, but that's a topic for a different forum emot-wink

It may seem self-indulgent, but I think that is at least a step above the people who only believe something because their parents raised them into it and have no will to question things or think for their selves.

Last edited by J-Syxx (04-25-2007 09:00:16 PM)

#30 | Back to Top04-25-2007 09:09:49 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

As far as "choosing" a religion goes, I see that as more of an "I know what my beliefs are, so which religion out there most closely resembles them, so if others ask about my belief system I have an easy way to tell them what it's like" kind of thing, not an "ok, I think I'll be Muslim today, Buddhist tomorrow, and Pagan on Friday!" thing.

Not so much shopping as seeing where you fit.  And even then, the fit may not necessarily be 100%, but you at least have something to start with.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (04-25-2007 09:10:43 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#31 | Back to Top04-25-2007 09:30:44 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Stormcrow wrote:

I must admit I'm puzzled by the concept of "choosing" a religion...is belief a conscious decision?

I think as organized religion more as mixture of certain beliefs that it's members share and a sense of "belonging" to a comunity. Every time my mom gets me to go to church with her I always observe that right after we arrive a ritual "extra-religious" is done, you say hello to people you know, get presented people you don't know ask how is their life or if the mass that day is because of an especial event you talk about it. Right after you finish the rituals of bonding start again now with more freedom of time. Also add the chit-chat here and then in the midle of the mass of how about the priest only seems to have the same 4 topics for all the sermon (sex, abortion, stranged brothers, and free union) and how at least uses 3 in each sermon XD

Some people are not religious, but is the community they were raised in it and they find solace in that small rituals of bonding.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#32 | Back to Top04-25-2007 09:54:10 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Yeah, church as community makes perfect sense to me.  I kind of wish there were some kind of secular humanist church I could belong to, but I'd probably find some other reason to feel alienated there.  Like if they weren't SKU fans for example  emot-biggrin

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#33 | Back to Top04-26-2007 12:20:48 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Like everyone else I say you can't choose what you believe - if we could, things would be different. I don't know why I believe what I do, especially since it's so different from what I believed two years ago.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#34 | Back to Top04-28-2007 02:11:57 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Stormcrow wrote:

Yeah, church as community makes perfect sense to me.  I kind of wish there were some kind of secular humanist church I could belong to, but I'd probably find some other reason to feel alienated there.

I think there is one in South America. I can't remember what it's called, but they honour the memory of great scientists and worship (sort of) the known principles of science.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

Board footer