This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top07-25-2008 12:39:37 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Re: RoseCon 2009! Or...not. Read and provide feedback, please!

*makes big note on calender and starts saving up*

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#52 | Back to Top07-30-2008 06:45:38 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Barring the actual Apocalypse or a financial emergency, I'm coming. I put $1000 away in a CD to avoid fucking with it.

That should cover my plane ticket and at least 2 nights in a hotel room at the current rate.

Now if I can get another $1000 together, I found the greatest hotel suite EVER. It's at the Hotel Tomo in Japantown, called the Players' Suite. It is the most perfect SKU viewing room I can find. It's got 2 Queen beds and a 113-inch LCD screen. I'm not kidding, it's that big. It also comes with a Wii and a PS3.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/EbonieRose/HotelTomo005.jpg

The viewing room is a separate room from the bedroom, so it's a living room of sorts. It's got chairs and beanbags and tons of floor space. Again, the bedroom can sleep 4, which is about $125 a person per night, making it $500 a night. To rent it costs $150 for 2 hours.

EDIT: Here have some video. Scroll down and click play.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (07-30-2008 08:05:09 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#53 | Back to Top07-30-2008 07:33:48 PM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Holy crap, that's awesome! emot-aaa I'm already concerned about how high the hotel bills are going to be even at a "normal" sort of place, though. Not sure a room like that will ever be in my budget...

#54 | Back to Top07-30-2008 08:54:47 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

San Fran cooler than Seattle? Really? Are you sure? O.O As for me, I can maybe make San Fran - it'd be less of a leap than NYC, that's for sure. If it were Seattle, I could make it easily no question. Hell, I have a beachfront cabin an hour from there that could fit a good number of people (it was bought generations ago, when that property was dirt cheap). San Fran could probs be do-able though. But a lot of factors would go into it.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#55 | Back to Top07-30-2008 09:11:04 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Jellineck wrote:

Hell, I have a beachfront cabin an hour from there that could fit a good number of people (it was bought generations ago, when that property was dirt cheap).

Wait a minute, a beachfront cabin that can fit how many people free of charge for as long as they feel like staying?  school-devil

#56 | Back to Top07-30-2008 10:52:18 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

There's are three main bedrooms and two lofts, with a main cabin and a guest cabin. A very good number of people could fit there. It's in the middle of nowhere but comfortable. I'd have to be careful as it's a family place, so I'm not sure if I could loan its use, but I might able to either be able to lend it out for free or provide it for really really cheap fares.

Those who are staying would have to deal with a boat ride and a drive to get to Seattle, but the location is supposedly one of the most beautiful in the U.S. Depends if you're an outdoorsy person or not.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#57 | Back to Top08-03-2008 01:26:42 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Hmmm it's in san fran in August it totally seems plausible, I live in SoCal, so basically it's just a big long drive up north...this is going to be wicked, get to meet all the folks ( but I should probably make myself seen on the threads--havent been around here in a while)

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#58 | Back to Top08-03-2008 01:58:34 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Sign me up. I'd be more likely to be able to do more if your folks were willing to shack up some.... "interesting" people. I'm betting some people who are iffy on the price on Hotel stays would be more likely to come as well.

...if not, I still can save money.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#59 | Back to Top08-03-2008 02:43:05 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Jelli, we're already pretty set on SF for this RoseCon, but we are probably going to have a RoseCon in 2010 as well, which depending on interest might focus less on the urban settings.... Kinda silly but I'd like to think RoseCon is a way for us to really get around, see new things, meet cool people. NYC and SF and major social centers in this country, but despite how I act, cities aren't the only thing to see.

So far this thread is hinting at possibly twice as many attendees for this RoseCon as there were for NYC. emot-aaa

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#60 | Back to Top08-04-2008 09:30:34 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I THINK i can go. I'll be in the us next Summer-fall, for 4 months. San Francisco is EXACTLY were i'm staying. So count me in.

Anyways, it's not 100% sure, since i'm moving next year too. Let's say it's a 80% sure. etc-loveetc-love

Oh oh oh, i'm so exited....

#61 | Back to Top08-04-2008 03:25:33 PM

lex

well, I'm excited that this one is in Cali, because I really wanted to go to the NYC one but the expenses were too much for me, but this one seems more plausible financially...so I might have to look into sharing a hotel with peeps...is it okay to bring friends along, who aren't necessarily forum members? << probably sounds like a silly question

#62 | Back to Top08-07-2008 03:16:10 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Non-forum members were along last time, so that's probably fine...you've been missed, Lex.emot-wink

As far as sharing hotels goes, we should maybe start up a thread for that at some point...RoseCon '08 wasn't HUGE, so we were able to manage accommodations without too much fuss, apart from the Carlton getting booked, but if we're having twice as many people this time, better organization would be a good idea. Which hotel were people thinking of again?

Lastly, a room in the hotel you mentioned might make a good viewing spot Raven, even if no one stays there. At $150 for two hours, assuming there are 15 of us (a safe bet), that's $5 apiece for each hour we use it. Doable I think.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#63 | Back to Top08-07-2008 05:59:52 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Well, the two hotels I found were the Hotel Tomo and Hotel Des Arts.

The Hotel Des Arts are aesthetically similar to the Carlton Arms in NYC. Rooms there start at $99 a night, up to $189 a night for a suite with a big flatscreen TV. (Size not told.)

Hotel Tomo is owned by Best Western, so if anyone has any particularly affinity/relationship/discount with them, that would be our best advantage. The Gaming Suite is $500 a night, or can be rented for $150 for 2 hours. The regular rooms start at $139 depending on how far in advance you reserve.

For those who want to use a Hilton like before, there is a Hilton in Union Square. They have a "Sight and Sound" room with a King bed or 2 Queen beds and 42 inch plasma TV for $344 a night. All other rooms start at $319 a night. The prices are around 20% lower with a non-refundable, advance purchase, knocking the S&S room down to $282.08 with others starting at $261.

THIS IS NOT A FINALIZED LIST! Those are just my personal picks. Although now, I'm looking at Tomo's sister hotel, the Hotel Kabuki. It's more sophisticated and traditional Japanese for those who don't want to wake up to anime characters and bright colors on their walls. It doesn't have a fancy viewing suite available, but the rooms have Japanese-style baths.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#64 | Back to Top08-08-2008 07:01:33 PM

lex

very cool, thanks Stormcrow emot-smile I did miss this place...just so much stuff y'know, hopefully I'll be able to spend more time and I think RoseCon would be a great way to do so

thanks for the list Raven, I'm looking into those:dance:

#65 | Back to Top08-10-2008 03:00:40 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I think personally, I'd like the Kabuki. Very nice, simple and I can point out yelling Japanese to my friend while he gets embarrassed. I've got the savings fund set up and all I need to do is wait until things are finallized. Woooo!

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#66 | Back to Top08-16-2008 09:07:09 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm not sure if I'll get a hotel room or not. I'll probably decide closer to the time... but if (and this is a MAJOR if) someone needs a hand I may be able to offer my couch. This is, of course, depending on how everyone else in my house feels about this... and if I'm still living there at the time.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#67 | Back to Top09-01-2008 03:19:07 PM

beautifulpanther
Qualified Duellist
Website

one stupid question... but is there already a fix date? I should reserve the tickets for the plane someday and the earlier I order them, the cheaper they are... (and well, from austria to kael it's... well, fucking expensive... including blackflight something about 2000 EUR )

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/NicoRobin1985/wheebanner2.jpg
Bianca   *1989 - +14.09.2007

"A duel against a feather has nothing to do with provocation or letting you look like a fool. Duelling the feather, the essence of all art and truth written down on paper, is a duel against your inner self to find security and cognition" (©Octavian)

#68 | Back to Top09-01-2008 04:24:44 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

August 11-13. It would be soooo awesome to see you, Panther! I know that's a hell of a lot of money, but I promise to buy you a drink if you make it. emot-keke

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#69 | Back to Top09-05-2008 05:49:57 AM

secret_lover_of_tenjou
Framed Landscaper
Website

west coast.  ouchies.  that makes thing ridiculously hard for myself because i lack the fundage to afford transportation emot-frown  i would have gone this year, but i'd have wound up going alone (which would have been, once again, ridiculously expensive.)  so alas, i doubt i'd be going to RoseCon2009.

sayonara IRG, 6/13/2010, 3:43AM EDT

#70 | Back to Top09-05-2008 06:04:17 AM

beautifulpanther
Qualified Duellist
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

August 11-13. It would be soooo awesome to see you, Panther! I know that's a hell of a lot of money, but I promise to buy you a drink if you make it. emot-keke

aye o.o i guess i can make it, just need to talk with my new boss. But well, I'd like to spend 2 weeks, so I bet it's possible to arrive. A drink? oh my x3 one reason more to come by *huggles stormcrow*

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/NicoRobin1985/wheebanner2.jpg
Bianca   *1989 - +14.09.2007

"A duel against a feather has nothing to do with provocation or letting you look like a fool. Duelling the feather, the essence of all art and truth written down on paper, is a duel against your inner self to find security and cognition" (©Octavian)

#71 | Back to Top09-13-2008 08:42:21 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The chato has agreed unanimously that we should do some kind of improv comedy thing at RoseCon '09.

#72 | Back to Top09-13-2008 10:03:40 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

satyreyes wrote:

The chato has agreed unanimously that we should do some kind of improv comedy thing at RoseCon '09.

Ooh, like what? (I'd love to get on the chato, but I live in the future and chato is hard when you live in the future. emot-gonk)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#73 | Back to Top09-13-2008 10:09:22 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

RoseCon09 is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig maybe for me. emot-frown I'll be in college by then and I don't know what my agenda will be like. I also have semi-solid plans to attend YaoiCon with some gal pals next year...but that is also a big maybe. emot-frown

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#74 | Back to Top09-13-2008 10:53:23 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Clarice wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Ooh, like what? (I'd love to get on the chato, but I live in the future and chato is hard when you live in the future. emot-gonk)

On the chato we just played Questions Only, but there was talk of Scenes from a Hat, Four Ways to Die, and several other Whose Line and Whose-Line-related games.  I can't improv worth a damn, but I know we have lots of acting and/or comedy types on the forum emot-smile

#75 | Back to Top09-13-2008 11:01:30 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Improv actually functions as a lovely icebreaker activity, and really, anyone can do it, even if you've not that talented at comedy.

Not that we need much ice broken, but... emot-keke it'll be such fun.

Oh, wow. Four Ways to Die with this crew... *completely lost in thought*

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

Board footer