This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-20-2008 09:32:05 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Halloween!

I don't know about you, but Halloween is my favorite holiday.

Apart from Spank Your Maid month, but that's not nearly as mainstream.

I just love the atmosphere of Halloween more than any other holiday, and I look forward to it the most. This year, I'm a bit stumped, because I can't think of a costume to do. Last year I dressed up as The Hitcher (from The Mighty Boosh, a fantastic show in the obscuria of BBC late-night comedies), the years before that I went generic and did a witch or a pirate. I could always do the tavern wench thing, but that'd just be me putting on my RenFest costume, and that's a bit of a cop-out. I'm feeling especially in touch with the spirit of Halloween, so I think I might do a fairly generic Halloween-fare creature as my costume. Maybe a witch again, or a demon. I was thinking about going as a demon last year, and I do already have the fangs.

And even though I work both Halloween and the day after, I want to do something fun, but generally inexpensive. Perhaps go by Target and get some cheap decorations and have a little party. I love cooking, so I can make some snacks, and we can put on some good Halloween-y entertainment.

And that's where I'm really stumped, because in general I can't stand horror movies, which are the most popular selection for Halloween party entertainment. Something a bit more light-hearted would be a lot more enjoyable. This could be a cartoon, a movie, or whatever, but at the moment I'm drawing an almost complete blank.

Do you, IRGals and IRGuys, have any suggestions? Also, what do you plan on doing on Halloween?

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#2 | Back to Top09-20-2008 09:38:53 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Re: Halloween!

In Poland we don't have a Halloween, so I'll probably sit at the computer, and search the web, do some hacking emot-wink, or simply have a voice chat (my new interest) school-devil . I'm not that much into scaring people.

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#3 | Back to Top09-20-2008 10:45:14 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Baka Kakumei Reanna wrote:

Also, what do you plan on doing on Halloween?

You know my motto: "You're never too old to take candy from strangers." school-eng101

I'm going trick-or-treating with my friends this year, probably dressed as a cat, as always. I just love candy. Twizzlers are great.

For entertainment, how about watching The Nightmare Before Christmas?

#4 | Back to Top09-20-2008 10:55:47 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Halloween= EPIC WIN. emot-dance I am the Queen of Halloween. It's my favorite holiday by far, and I love to see cheesy decorations. They're adorable.

This year, Sihk-or-Treat will actually be on Halloween night, so I'll be there. I'm going to be a nurse. school-devil But I'm making most of it myself, so it's not like the kind you see in stores.

And I'll second Razara on NBC. It's a fantastic Halloween movie, and it's very light-hearted.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#5 | Back to Top09-20-2008 11:20:53 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Oh, yeah. It's a ton of fun, and it's not very long, so that leaves plenty of time for more Halloween fun. We did kinda just watch it recently, but maybe we'll be in the mood for a second viewing by the time the big night rolls around. Kidnap the Sandy Claws, tie him in a bag...

Now to plan out my demon costume. Now I wish I'd bought those horns at RenFest.

#6 | Back to Top09-22-2008 05:37:29 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

The best Pagan gift to the masses of the world after Yule: Halloween. I have quite the celebration planned and me and a friend may just do Jay and Silent Bob. I'm going to be Silent Bob, inspite of my blond hair and my friend's black hair. It's going to be funny as hell though pointless in this little town from hell. Maybe we'll drive to Minneapolis and catch Real Witches Ball the weekend before. He'll be shouting vulgarities while I shake my head or make vague attempts at sign language.

I shall get into shape so I can do a good Morticia Addams next year. I've got the long legs for it too, though my bone structure is too "strong Scandinavian" to really pull it off. My friend is trying to talk me into doing a Vandals thing, but meh. I told him I want to go as Lain first and confuse the hell out of the general populace with something to make it look like there's smoke coming from my fingers.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#7 | Back to Top09-22-2008 05:58:02 PM

hayama
Ruthless Deflorist

I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing yet. Halloween is on a Friday this year (yay!) which means perhaps I'll have a party and watch a bunch of scary flicks with friends (seriously, I have tons). I usually go trick-or-treating for Unicef as part of a school club, but my friend isn't president year so we may take this year off. I used to love trick-or-treating, but in more recent years it's lost a bit of its spark (and I've become more weary of the dangers of too much candy) so I think I'm more willing to just chill out and freak out watching some of the scariest movies on earth school-devil

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight.

#8 | Back to Top09-22-2008 06:08:49 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I don't have any suggests, Reanna. Sorry. emot-frown

But I do have "plans" if you will.  We'll (Paradox & I) be handing out goodies to the little trick-or-treaters that visit.  Last year was great fun, as I'd never had trick-or-treaters before (having grown up in the country and kids don't go to apartment complexes, it seems).  While not handing out candy, we plan on watching creepy/weird anime.  I'm hoping to rent or buy Kakurenbo by then, and we'll also watch some more When They Cry (yay for Funi distributing Geneon's stuff!) and perhaps pop in some Paranoia Agent as well.

#9 | Back to Top09-22-2008 06:21:43 PM

dollface
Website

hayama wrote:

...so I think I'm more willing to just chill out and freak out watching some of the scariest movies on earth school-devil

Ah, the wording of this post reminds me, I hope they'll have a Scarist Places on Earth marathon again this year! It's my favorite paranormal show, and ABC will usually air it one day in October, in honor of "The Thirteen Days of Halloween".

My friend is considering throwing a Halloween party, but of course, if it's on Halloween night, I won't be able to attend. Also, two of my friends are working at Scarowinds this year, so I'll probably get some free tickets! Score! emot-dance In years past, the management will give two tickets to their employees on their days off, so they can be there one night as a customer instead of a monster.

I want to bake a Halloween cake this year, because it would be adorable and delicious. But I may end up just making Halloween cookies for my homeroom or something. I reeeeeally want to make a cake, though.

#10 | Back to Top09-22-2008 09:59:37 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I'm going to be working Halloween Horror Nights over at the henna shop -supposedly those nights are like, the third biggest nights for the shop, right after Christmas and Rock the Universe (a Christian concert). Considering that T did 600 bucks in henna for RtU and M did 400, it  makes sense to try and get a couple HHN shifts. I actually work the 30th and the 31st. So no trick-or-treating for me, but I do get to dress up -I'll try and take pictures!

ETA: Okay, and Halloween movie listings as follows: HOCUS POCUS OMG BETTE MIDLER KATHY NJIMY OR HOWEVER IT'S SPELLED I LOVE THIS MOVIE, Witches of Eastwick, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2, The Addams Family (Much like Cary Elwes, I wanted Raul Julia before I ever understood sexuality), and Beetlejuice. I think I'll be adding The Craft and The Corpse Bride to the line up this year. I'm in the same boat though, I don't especially care for horror, esp things that come out this time of year, like those awful Saw movies. Ew.

EATA: IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN CHARLIE BROWN FTMFW.

Last edited by MissMocha (09-22-2008 10:17:12 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#11 | Back to Top09-23-2008 10:19:22 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Thank the gods I'm not the only ones who sees the Saw movies for the utter crapfests they are.

Anyway, nice lineup! I can't believe I hadn't thought of some of those.

#12 | Back to Top09-23-2008 11:22:45 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Like last year, where I dressed up as a strange post-modern, pseudo-medieval sorcerer, this year, I think I'm gonna dress up as a "Samurai dancer". But, instead of katana, it's gonna be two traditional eastern umbrellas. One red, one blue. I'll call the first one Hien, and the second one Souhi emot-tongue

#13 | Back to Top09-23-2008 11:57:35 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Err... I'm not sure, actually.  I have a standing invitation to a friend's Halloween party, but he's holding it the weekend before Halloween (he's Pagan, so I'll bet he's got a Samhain ritual lined up for the day itself).  However, I'm usually the only single-as-in-neither-attached-nor-dating person there, so it's kinda weird, though that's probably mostly me.  I might get roped into handing out candy if I don't think of something better to do.  Also, I have no real idea for a costume this year.  I do like Halloween, but these past few years I haven't really gotten into it.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#14 | Back to Top09-24-2008 12:50:58 PM

dollface
Website

dollface wrote:

Also, two of my friends are working at Scarowinds this year, so I'll probably get some free tickets! Score! emot-dance In years past, the management will give two tickets to their employees on their days off, so they can be there one night as a customer instead of a monster.

FUCK YEAH I HAVE TRIAL RUN TICKETS emot-dance

#15 | Back to Top09-25-2008 12:02:28 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

It's traditional for people here to head down to Waikiki on Halloween and just walk around and check out people's costumes and go a little crazy. Always good times. emot-smile However, I have nothing to dress up as this time unless I dust off my Anakin Skywalker costume I wore a few years back.

#16 | Back to Top09-25-2008 07:11:38 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I've wanted for yeeears to do the Roman matron thing, because I know the custome is easy to sew, but huge bolts of linen/cotton are actually pretty expensive. emot-frown

Also I have no idea where to go. All I know about in Miami is wine tastings, and I have a love hate relationship addressed partly in another thread with them. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#17 | Back to Top09-25-2008 07:50:01 AM

dollface
Website

I really need to stay out of this thread. (I'll probably be back again. emot-gonk ) I started typing this in the happiness thread, but I figured that it would probably work better here, considering what I'm happy about.

Scarowinds was amazing. emot-dance This is definately the best year yet. In the past, the only maze that really freaked me out was Slaughterhouse, because it was always so well constucted and I'm pretty creeped out by processing plants. But this year, they've added a new maze called The Asylum. Take a stab in the dark at something that happens to be a really big fear of mine. emot-rolleyes It was fantastic though, and I really enjoyed it. I like the thrill of being scared, I suppose. My friends Tara and Ian were working in a house called Final Summons. It's the only haunted house that actually is a house. I think she did a nice job of staying in character when we were there, so I'm proud of her.

Anyway, they've redone a lot of the past mazes and made them better. For example, Big Top was the name of our resident carnival maze. Despite the fact that I think it wasn't very good, they've always kept it around because so many people are deathly afraid of clowns. This year, they've completely reconstucted the entire thing under the new title Last Laugh. I've never been afraid of clowns, but this one was just so much better than Big Top, I'll admit that I jumped a few times. (Now, in Slaughterhouse and The Asylum, I scream like a little bitch.) They also redid The Dead Inn, but in my opinion, it wasn't for the better. It didn't seem quite as good. I'm also never frightened by the alien maze, simply because I'm not afraid of aliens. The Dream Factory is another maze that I think could use some work, but it is improving.

However, this year's Scarezones= 500 TIMES BETTER. Instead of the usual vampires theme, they now have one called Feeding Frenzy where you rave with zombies. cool There's also a cemetary filled with your generic creepy crawlies, but it wasn't half bad. When I'm afraid, I have a habit of using pickup lines on the monsters. emot-redface So when someone particularly creepy came up to me, I'd just babble out "Can I get your number?" Some guy actually gave it to me! That's breaking character, sir. emot-mad

The one thing I miss from previous years are the sliders. They were the scariest people in the whole park. (There are some people in costume who don't have a designated maze or scarezone. They just wander the park freely and try to scare you. The sliders were people with skates and kneepads on, hidden by their costume. So, they'd do the usual thing, you'd pretend they scared you, they'd wander off... and 5 seconds later, they bolt out in front of you, sliding on the pavement. It might not sound like much, but it will give you a heart attack. I swear.)

Last edited by dollface (09-25-2008 07:52:55 AM)

#18 | Back to Top09-25-2008 02:56:00 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Like last year, where I dressed up as a strange post-modern, pseudo-medieval sorcerer, this year, I think I'm gonna dress up as a "Samurai dancer". But, instead of katana, it's gonna be two traditional eastern umbrellas. One red, one blue. I'll call the first one Hien, and the second one Souhi emot-tongue

There is no part of that statement I did not like. X reference and allusion to awesome sorcery all in one.

I'm probably just going to be Miles Edgeworth for Halloween. I know; cosplay fail, but I'm making it for Yaoi-con anyway (starts TOMORROW), so why the hell not.

Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday. If I were thinner/didn't have the girl hips from hell, I could pull of Jack Skellington.

#19 | Back to Top09-26-2008 06:24:18 AM

secret_lover_of_tenjou
Framed Landscaper
Website

idk, i'm probably redesigning Godot.

cosplay runs too deep in my veins, but my wallet notsomuch.

if i still had my long hair i was going to show the world just what was underneath Bret Michaels' bandanna, his exposed brain.  XD  but now, i guess i'm cosplaying for the occasion.  i have to do a presentation on cosplay for japanese class just days prior to halloween anyway.

sayonara IRG, 6/13/2010, 3:43AM EDT

#20 | Back to Top09-26-2008 11:09:03 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

My friends and I are going to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party and I'm SO excited. emot-biggrin I'm going as Arthur Dent from Hitch Hiker's Guide. Nice easy costume. Just need some pjs, a robe, and a towel. Of course, half my friends have never even read Hitch Hiker's Guide, which makes me oh so sad. emot-frown

Last edited by Emiemipoemi (09-26-2008 11:09:29 AM)

#21 | Back to Top09-26-2008 11:52:03 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I want to watch May again this Halloween, because I lurve scary movies (though only if the people I watch it with aren't dickheads who crack jokes and ruin the mood the whole way through --I myself have a poor suspension of disbelief and yet I hold my tongue).  Seriously guys, if you haven't seen this movie, you need to.  All I suggest is that you do not mind gore and have a taste for awkwardness.

AND SECONDS ALL THE MOVIES MOCHA MENTIONED OMG HOCUSPOCUS!!!

And as far as trick-or-treating goes, I dunno if I will, since I'm not too hi-ho on the prospect of spending money on a costume.  MAYBE I CAN GO AS A SLUT?

Kid-friendly.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-26-2008 11:52:34 AM)

#22 | Back to Top09-26-2008 11:57:59 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Everyday is Halloween.

I Love Halloween....what better reason to get free candy and dress up and indulge in all things spooky and camp-tastic?

This year, I'm hoping to crash a couple of Halloween parties...or give out candy and play creepy music. I have yet to decide my costume, but I might be going as Pippi Longstocking emot-smile

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#23 | Back to Top09-26-2008 09:34:44 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Eee, eee! I found the perfect pointy ears for my demon costume. I haven't used spirit gum in years, so I got some in my hair, but I've got so much hair and it's so thick that no amount of practice will help that. They look quite cool on me. emot-smile

#24 | Back to Top09-26-2008 09:57:20 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

secret_lover_of_tenjou wrote:

if i still had my long hair i was going to show the world just what was underneath Bret Michaels' bandanna, his exposed brain.

emot-rofl

(Insert any mean comment about Bret Michaels' lack of a brain here, including but not limited to:

"He has a brain under there? I thought he just had hair plugs."
"If you really wanted to replicate what's under the bandanna, you might need some MIT students to build a singularity that can fit inside a head.")

Emiemipoemi wrote:

I'm going as Arthur Dent from Hitch Hiker's Guide. Nice easy costume. Just need some pjs, a robe, and a towel. Of course, half my friends have never even read Hitch Hiker's Guide, which makes me oh so sad. emot-frown

1. You are awesome.
2. You need new friends. emot-tongue Or you could just make them watch the (IMO) mediocre movie that came out.

I haven't done anything for Halloween since the last year I went to Voodoo Music Fest in 2003. Hopefully, though, this will be alleviated by either going to Voodoo again the weekend before, or going to the Renaissance Festival the weekend after.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (09-26-2008 10:00:57 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#25 | Back to Top09-18-2009 09:43:51 AM

Setsuna
Tragedian

Hey guys! It's getting close to that time of the year again! emot-dance
Normally this is when I'm ordering crap off the internet and going to thriftstores for a costume...but this year I have no idea what to be(I'll appreciate suggestions of any sort). emot-keke

Nuff about me, what's everyone going to be this year? Anyone throwing parties? Any pranks? teeell mee.

Last edited by Setsuna (09-18-2009 09:44:26 AM)

Board footer