This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-01-2008 11:10:16 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Funny Linguistic Issues: Idioms etc.

Post funny idioms and other hilarious expressions from country you know!
I was always very fond of idioms, such us 'hit the hay' or 'a bun in the oven'. emot-tongue
The funniest Polish idioms I know are:
*(literally) to think about blue almonds ->(meaning) to daydream
* (literally) to break one's hands -> be upset
* (literally) to cry like a beaver -> to burst into tears
* (literally) to soap one's eyes -> to try to deceive someone

I'm really curious about idioms like that!

#2 | Back to Top10-01-2008 11:54:47 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Re: Funny Linguistic Issues: Idioms etc.

dlaire wrote:

*(literally) to think about blue almonds ->(meaning) to daydream

What a nice one! In Catalan, you may say "to have one's head in the clouds" as a synonym for daydreaming. (Edit: so it's the same sentence than in English. emot-redface Thanks Stormy!)
I will try to think about more of those funny idioms; right know I only recall of "one's Saint went to Heaven", which precisely means that one forgot about something that they previously knew... emot-keke

Something vaguely related: how do you say that something is / sounds fake, in English or in other languages? I'm used to hearing that "something is faker than a 3 euros coin" or "faker than a coin made in Sevilla." Any apportations?

Last edited by Asfalolh (10-01-2008 02:55:38 PM)

#3 | Back to Top10-02-2008 08:22:24 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Asfalolh wrote:

"one's Saint went to Heaven"

That's cool one! emot-smile
We have something similiar, when someone is scatterbrained we could say 'he/she forgot about god's world'. emot-tongue
* (literally) I could cut my hand off for that - (meaning) I'm sure about it
* (literally) to forget the language/tongue (it's one word in Polish) in mouth - to be petified
When someone is in love, we say sometimes 'X feels mint towards sb'. emot-smile

Asfalolh wrote:

Something vaguely related: how do you say that something is / sounds fake, in English or in other languages? I'm used to hearing that "something is faker than a 3 euros coin" or "faker than a coin made in Sevilla." Any apportations?

We say - to be fake like dyed fox emot-tongue

Polish and English idioms are completely different, I found two similiar:
* to wrap someone around one's finger
* as difficult as finding a needle in a haystack
And that's all.
What's interesting, my friend told me that 'to have butterflies in stomach' express feeling stress in English, while in French and Polish it is used to describe infatuation.

#4 | Back to Top10-02-2008 09:03:11 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Butterflies can be stress or infatuation. It refers to that fluttery feeling you get in such situations, as if butterflies were flying around in your stomach...or in your behind if you're Jimmy Kimmel.

Here in America, the $3 dollar bill, which doesn't exist, is also used sort of like a 3 Euro piece, but not quite...if a guy is really gay, he might be described as "queer as a $3 bill".

And now for my all-time favorite idiom, if a woman has a nice body, she can be described (and yes, I've heard it used in conversation) as being "built like a brick shithouse" Can you believe that? I couldn't make shit like that up! I was seriously sitting next to some old dude on a plane once when he started reminiscing about an old flame who he fondly described that way! And yes, I'm sure it was meant to be complimentary!

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top10-02-2008 09:16:47 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

I always loved the term "Gone with the fairies" for when someone's daydreaming.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#6 | Back to Top10-02-2008 12:45:34 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

"Un mirlo blanco," literally "a white blackbird," is a Spanish idiom meaning something like "one in a million."  Sometimes I use it as my AIM tagline.  emot-smile

#7 | Back to Top10-02-2008 01:48:41 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

I'm personally fond of the Japanese equivalent of the English "take a long walk off a short pier."  The Japanese literally translates to English as "bash your head against a brick of tofu and die."  Unfortunately, I still need to memorize the original Japanese phrase in case, y'know, I get into a bar fight in Roppongi or something...

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#8 | Back to Top10-02-2008 06:23:47 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

And now for my all-time favorite idiom, if a woman has a nice body, she can be described (and yes, I've heard it used in conversation) as being "built like a brick shithouse" Can you believe that? I couldn't make shit like that up! I was seriously sitting next to some old dude on a plane once when he started reminiscing about an old flame who he fondly described that way! And yes, I'm sure it was meant to be complimentary!

I thought that was just an Australasian thing! Although, then again, we tend to use it to mean something that's solidly built, and not necessarily attractive...

I loved annoying people in the UK with New Zealand slang. Like Aussies, we tend to say "She'll be right, mate." There is no she. It just means: "Whatever, don't worry about it." "Sweet" and "Sweet as!" are general exclamations of "Cool!" and yet the Yorkshire folk never seemed to pick up on it. emot-dance They also used to be mystified when we talked about things out in the wop-wops (i.e. in the countryside).

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#9 | Back to Top10-02-2008 07:13:12 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

"Built like a brick shithouse"

If I recall correctly, it was something to do with the fact that most shithouses were made of wood and often of less than stellar craftmanship which the brick shithouses on the other hand were generally better made, so I am surmising that being Built like a brick shithouse means that you were put together well (by nature)

#10 | Back to Top10-03-2008 08:11:09 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

satyreyes wrote:

"Un mirlo blanco," literally "a white blackbird," is a Spanish idiom meaning something like "one in a million."  Sometimes I use it as my AIM tagline.  emot-smile

We have 'a white raven', not blackbird. emot-tongue It is used sometimes in order to describe a book that is very difficult to find.
Something precious and rare is called 'little pearl' (it's one word in Polish) quite often.
Now I remember quite popular Polish idiom 'crocodile's tears' which means 'insincerely cry'.
Clarice, give us more of New Zealand's slang! poptart poptart

#11 | Back to Top10-03-2008 09:13:50 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Americans have crocodile tears as well. But how could I have gone this long without mentioning the joys of Yiddish!

First off, you have Yiddish curses, like "Geh kakken auf den yam!" Which means, "Go shit in the sea!" Other popular ones include "Go to hell and bake bagels!" (Bagels have to cook at a higher temperature than most bread), and "May you grow like an onion, with your head in the ground", oh, and "May you be like a lamp: hang by day and burn by night" I'm probably getting a little off the topic you intended Dlaire, but I can't help myself.

Oh, I do have one proper idiom though. You may have heard a Yiddish-speaker describe a woman with large breasts as "zaftig", which means "juicy". emot-keke

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#12 | Back to Top10-03-2008 09:49:56 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

It's good you cannot help yourself, I want more! I was serious when I said I'm linguistic freak.
When someone is boasting about oneself we say 'egg wiser than hen'. Polish curses... 'go to hell/Devil' is the only one which cames to my mind now. Expressions about being angry are quite funny IMO.
We use many words to describe attractive girl - 'laska' (staff? walking-stick?) is the most popular. Yes, it's stupid. emot-tongue What's funny, I know teenagers that call slutty girl FANTA - fuck and never touch again.

#13 | Back to Top10-03-2008 02:47:48 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Oof 'da is a relic from Scandinavian countries... I don't hear it outside of Minnesota.

There are also a lot of Scandinavian-decscended and Ojibwe people who say "Wisconii" instead of Wisconsin (err... my spelling is off today). It makes sense to us, anyway.

For racist comments, I've heard old people in Tennessee call black people Boogers. I'm not racist myself, but I find it funny because "booger" is also a term for those little wads you can pick from your nose.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#14 | Back to Top10-03-2008 03:23:11 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Booger is also a derogatory term for Whites in Cherokee.  Yes, it's convoluted with the little mucus nuggets.  And the bogeyman/boogerman.

Idioms from places I've lived in the States, but never understood properly (I mean, I get the meaning, but not how they came about): joshing (to mean, joking), and "Lord love a duck!"

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#15 | Back to Top10-03-2008 08:04:55 PM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

The father of a friend of mine once told his wife "my duty my shovel" before he left for work. The saying puzzled her for half a day until she thought to translate it into French: "Mon devoir ma pelle" In other words, "Mon devoir m'apelle". In English, "Duty calls."

#16 | Back to Top10-03-2008 09:30:42 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

One of my favourite New Zealand "Yes, that actually IS an idiom, don't take it literally!" is the invitation to dinner that states: "Bring a plate." While we do mean that you should bring a literal plate, we're actually meaning a platter with food to share. Like a pot-luck dinner. Yet every year some foreigner gets caught out bringing an empty dinner plate to a barbeque. emot-keke You'd think we'd learn. But we never, ever do. emot-rofl

There's also something I used to say in Yorkshire to annoy my workmates: "Not even ow!" It...it's actually more Māori than anything else, and because I'm about as whitebread Pākehā as they come, I really can't do it right. If you want an idea of the stereotypical Māori accent -- and how you say that "ow" -- this demonstrates it pretty well. Like most exclamations around here, it means nothing. Except maybe "Get off of it!" Heh. emot-biggrin

I'm not sure if it's just a New Zealand thing to say that someone is as pissed as an owl to mean "drunk," though. Do you Aussies do that too? We also use the term "queer" to mean "weird" or "strange" a lot more than other English speaking countries that I've noticed, though it's lessened since I was a kid, for obvious reasons.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#17 | Back to Top10-03-2008 09:41:25 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ha ha, in America we don't even use "pissed" to mean drunk, we use it (or "pissed off") to mean angry.  You crazy Brits, Aussies, and other sundry people who don't speak English the same way I do!

#18 | Back to Top10-03-2008 10:04:17 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

My personal favorite, and most frequently used, would be "It's no skin off my nose", which means "It makes no difference to me". (Although I always say "It's no skin off my teeth", but no one else ever seems to say that. I suppose most people wouldn't have skin on their teeth. [/zombie])

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#19 | Back to Top10-03-2008 10:13:21 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Ha ha, in America we don't even use "pissed" to mean drunk, we use it (or "pissed off") to mean angry.  You crazy Brits, Aussies, and other sundry people who don't speak English the same way I do!

Ha, we do also use it to mean "angry," so it's usually context that allows us to tell the difference. But yeah, we say "pissed" more than "drunk," come to think of it. Depending on the company, of course.

Which reminds me, there seems to be a generation older than mine here that uses "shagged" to mean tired, as in "I'm so shagged!" It usually makes the younger contingent of the room crack up laughing...

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#20 | Back to Top10-04-2008 02:53:24 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

dollface wrote:

My personal favorite, and most frequently used, would be "It's no skin off my nose", which means "It makes no difference to me". (Although I always say "It's no skin off my teeth", but no one else ever seems to say that. I suppose most people wouldn't have skin on their teeth. [/zombie])

There's also the saying "by the skin of [my] teeth" which means something that occurred by the barest of chances. "Miki retained his virginity in Akio's car by the skin of his teeth."

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#21 | Back to Top10-05-2008 10:33:26 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Ragnarok wrote:

dollface wrote:

There's also the saying "by the skin of [my] teeth" which means something that occurred by the barest of chances. "Miki retained his virginity in Akio's car by the skin of his teeth."

Polish version of 'I don't care' after translation is: 'I care about it as if it was last year's snow'. emot-tongue

#22 | Back to Top10-05-2008 06:09:16 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

...I just remembered my favourite idiom for "useless." Which is "that's about as useful as two tits on a bull." emot-rofl

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#23 | Back to Top10-05-2008 06:22:04 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I understand the idiom for useless, that goes "about as useful as tits on a whore," but I suspect whomever coopted/corrupted it from "tits on a boar" was very shortsighted.

I notice that Cherokee, and in fact a lot of eastern American Indian languages don't have the testical obsession of European (and other) languages.  And less attendent castration-fear idioms.  Hadn't really occured to me before, but it does explain my inability to center my being in my scrotum and yammer on about "might as well cut my balls off and put'em in your purse" et cetera.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#24 | Back to Top10-06-2008 05:09:15 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I'm from "the south" and we have a million weird sayings...  Not idiomatic in the same vein as dlaire's orginals, because mostly they are straightforward like "about as useful as tits on a bull" is when you think about them for a moment.

For some reason I can't think of many of them right now, but my aunt has one that I've always loved:

"He couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the sole."  (He's stupid)

Only other thing coming to mind is the ever popular (and I believe probably common in other english speaking countries) "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

My brain's not really working right now, so I can't think of anything else like "head in the clouds." :-/

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#25 | Back to Top10-06-2008 05:18:28 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Another "drunk" idiom: "three sheets to the wind," sometimes shortened to "three sheets."

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

Board footer