This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top07-30-2007 11:58:50 PM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: HARRY POTTER DISCUSSION THREAD HERE!!!

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Okay, you make a compelling case. As for the Patronus question, I know my syntax was bad but you know what I mean!

And Tenjou, if you're Ginny does that make me Cho?

I suppose this question should be answered by our dear Sevelle, don't you agree? emot-smile

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#102 | Back to Top07-30-2007 11:58:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

As for the Patronus question, I know my syntax was bad but you know what I mean!

Sorry, you meant Umbridge?  You're right, a cockroach would be a great Patronus for Umbridge, too.  But we learn in Book 7 that it's a cat, so emot-tongue

SM wrote:

Screw being Ginny or crybaby Cho!  If Sevelle were a girl I'd be begging to be Dumbledore.  school-devil

#103 | Back to Top07-31-2007 12:09:06 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

satyreyes wrote:

Screw being Ginny or crybaby Cho!  If Sevelle were a girl I'd be begging to be Dumbledore.  school-devil

Something about that statement is just so very very wrong.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#104 | Back to Top07-31-2007 12:12:43 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

morosemocha wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Something about that statement is just so very very sexy.

Fixed it for ya emot-keke

#105 | Back to Top07-31-2007 12:31:32 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Well... yeah... we do... I still think the roach would be better. As for Lestrange... um, I dunno now... that's what I get for posting without paying attention to what I'm writing...

And Sevelle isn't a girl, so it's all moot isn't it?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#106 | Back to Top07-31-2007 12:42:05 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

And Sevelle isn't a girl, so it's all moot isn't it?

Alas, it is.  Anyone who wants to be Dumbledore-the-child-molester will have no competition from me.  emot-frown

#107 | Back to Top07-31-2007 12:45:23 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I'd think that I'd make for a good Ron or Nevelle emot-tongue
I tend to be happy-go-lucky most of the time, even though I AM known for being neurotic at times...

Last edited by Hiraku (07-31-2007 12:45:56 AM)

#108 | Back to Top07-31-2007 12:48:27 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I don't really identify with any of the HP cast. I like reading about them but none of them strike me as being really like me.

#109 | Back to Top07-31-2007 09:04:13 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I dunno. I made a fucking amazing Minerva McGonagall. emot-dance

#110 | Back to Top07-31-2007 02:25:34 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

It's... over emot-frown

<a little spoiler-y> I'm with Frosty in everything -I loved how Dumbledore has become more human, though the first time I read the Grindelwald thing I started suspecting about a worldwide conspiration that would have made Albus (the senior one (: ) Voldemort's n. 1 follower. The ephitaph ion Lily and James' grave didn't help, and I went paranoic until Snape's death (specially thanks to Aberforth). Surprisingly, I didn't feel betrayed when Dumbledore said Harry had to die. C'mon, it was so much better that what I expected -- him saying that Harry was to be in Voldemort's side...
... I supose it would have been to much for a six-year-old to read.

So: I cried for Lupin, and will never be able to thank JKR enough for the argument he had with Harry about his parental duties. I didn't cry for Snape, though I was happy to see him redeemed. I cried again for Dumbledore (don't ask why...). I was happy with Mrs. Weasley line, and I liked the epilogue, though I had serious troubles keeping track of which child was which. Albus Severus touched my heart.

Complaining: well, it'over. But, given that we all know it, something more. WHAT THE HELL WAS GRIFFINDOR'S SWORD DOING IN NEVILLE HANDS? Wasn't it supposed to be with that horrible goblin? Did he re-appear and I haven't noticed?
Last one: the King's Cross chapter... when I read it, I had the impression that it was... misplaced. It looks quite like an epilogue and, though I loved it with all my heart, it broke all the action and, specially, all the mourning we could have done for Harry. It was confusing, I think.

In conclusion, I'm happy and not disappointed at all, thoug there was too much action. Am I the only one to think that some parts looked quite Indiana Jones?

On analysis: I assume little Ariana was molested, too.

Last edited by Asfalolh (07-31-2007 02:26:31 PM)

#111 | Back to Top07-31-2007 05:25:43 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

I really agree with what Asfalolh had said about the last chapter. it didnt give me a full conclusion however. JK has left us with more questions. here's an example: what happened with George after the downfall of voldemort? did he continue with the joke shop in diagon alley? what is harry's profession? Ginny? what about ron and hermione? what ever happened to the rest of the weaslys?
I still mourn over Fred. Iknow its kinda weird, since he's a book character and all.

WHY JK, WHY MUST YOU KILL OFF ONE OF THE TWINS?!?

in other news, it was announced at Saturday's comic con in San Diego that JK is now working on two new post potter novels. one is children rated and the other is adult rated. could be interesting. im curious to hear what everyone else thinks.

We all have our own little addictions.

#112 | Back to Top07-31-2007 05:39:25 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Actually, Guardian, JK said in an interview with NBC that Harry and Ron both "Revolutionized the Auror Profession", while Hermione was "rather high up in the Magical Law Enforcement Department". emot-biggrin

#113 | Back to Top07-31-2007 05:42:17 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

emot-aaa

i did NOT hear that! when did this happen? well, i guess that their dreams came true in the end emot-smile

#114 | Back to Top07-31-2007 06:00:11 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

It happened on... um... around July 26th?  Link here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

* Harry and Ron are Aurors; Harry is head of the department!
* Hermione is in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.
* Luna's roving the world looking for Crumple-Horned Snorkacks -- albeit with a slightly more pragmatic worldview than she had at Hogwarts -- possibly married to Neville.
* Hogwarts is still around, but we haven't been introduced to the current headmaster or Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.  Harry drops in to give lectures once in a while, though.
* Still no idea what happens to Umbridge.  If Harry's head of the Aurors, though, I imagine Umbridge is not working for the Ministry anymore.

#115 | Back to Top07-31-2007 06:12:58 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Satyreyes, thanks emot-smile

although its just not the same without reading it in JK's own hand:gonk:

#116 | Back to Top07-31-2007 09:12:44 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Asfalolh, I think that Neville got the sword of Gryffindor for pretty much the same reason (and the same way) that Harry got it way back in Book 2. I'm sure that it was in a place when Harry got it out of the hat - and while goblins consider the owner of an object to be its maker, I think that the sword of Gryffindor was effectively an intelligent item - it was able to choose its owner and appear to said owner when needed.

#117 | Back to Top08-01-2007 02:23:29 AM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Tenjou_sailorsaturn wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Okay, you make a compelling case. As for the Patronus question, I know my syntax was bad but you know what I mean!

I suppose this question should be answered by our dear Sevelle, don't you agree? emot-smile

But if he's Cho then his best friend betrey's me! And then we have a big fight and I'm all whiny little bitch about it. But Ron's open . . . !

emot-dance

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#118 | Back to Top08-01-2007 02:26:17 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I'm only dropping in to say that Sevelle makes an adorable Harry Potter. emot-keke And that my friend's list on LJ exploded with HP when the last book came out... one of these days I'll start reading the first book, really. emot-frown It just doesn't seem as interesting compared to the later ones.

#119 | Back to Top08-01-2007 02:26:25 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Cho's best friend betrays Harry? emot-confused Has been too long since I read the other books, methinks...

#120 | Back to Top08-01-2007 03:17:05 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Who was that, Lav-lav, Lavender Brown? :blah: I know, I need to do a major reread too! Maybe we can just get by with watching the movies to catch up! emot-biggrin

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#121 | Back to Top08-01-2007 05:24:39 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

emot-aaa I didn't realise about it, Shattered! I mean, I remember Voldemort placing the Sorting Hat on Neville's head (and I thought: what the hell is he doing?). It was Rowling's way to return the sword to the castle, sure. Thanks for explaining, now it's clear for me. When I was reading this part I had gone quite crazy...

Lines to remember, in my opinion:

1. McGonagall "waking up" the guardians of the castle, and the two female professors (she and Sprout) taking care of everything.
2. Molly's line, xD.
3. The Potterwatch.
4. Ron's return, and following argument with Hermione.
5. Snape saying Look at me, and what follows.

Any more ideas? emot-wink

Sevelle, you look hot as Harry Potter! emot-aaa
I also need a major re-read to remember who is who, specially after GoF emot-mad

Satyreyes, do you mean that 6 days after releasing the last book, JKR explained the future of some of her characters? I quite like it, they seem to be all doing what they wanted to emot-keke

#122 | Back to Top08-03-2007 06:18:31 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Here's something to alleviate everyone's harry potter haze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjUWSfj7fE

Guys this HP vid is sooooo funny.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#123 | Back to Top08-03-2007 11:30:32 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I still love that video.

#124 | Back to Top08-04-2007 11:24:46 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Well, I finally got around to reading the book.  One thing, unspoilery to say: Really could have done without the epilogue.  How disappointing.  I don't like my endings wrapped up in a nice little bow.  But, alas, it is a children's book, and therefore it must be tidy.  emot-rolleyes  Funny how much anime has changed my view on things.  I used to want the bow (geez, the way I languished over the end of SKU and .hack//SIGN...), but now I like leeway.  Must be because I enjoy creating fantasies in my mind involving characters from a whole range of things (t.v., anime, books, etc.) 

I really liked the bit with Snape.  Kind of figured he would die and still end being good, but I did really like how the bit about Lily was brought out.  It was quite beautiful.

J.K. can rot in hell for killing off Fred.  What the fuck?!  Kill off RON for God's sake, not one of the twins.  As soon as that happened, I stopped caring so much about the book. I felt it was a random and pointless death.  Anyone (except for George) would have been fine, or else kill both of them off.  I don't like seeing twins split, I guess.  Particularly when they were the only enjoyment I received from book 5. emot-tongue

J.K. can't write death scenes for anything.  Snape's was the only one that felt definitive in my mind.  Most of the others (from all the books) felt so forced and out of place.  She improved in this one, but only slightly.

Hermione x Ron is my least favorite pairing ever.  No, I didn't want Hermione with Harry either.  I just didn't want her with someone that treated her as badly as Ron.  Being a teenage boy is no excuse to me. emot-tongue  I think she would have matched well with a girl anyway.  Ooo...Hermione x Ginny!

That said, I did like the pairing of Harry and Ginny.  That worked well.

I loved that Neville was able to play such an important role at Hogwarts, even if he wasn't in the book much.  I've always had a fondness for the character, and it was nice to see him get a little glory.

Narcissa etc-love

Things got a little convoluted after awhile, and I fear I started getting distracted towards the end, so certain things felt a bit too "fell into place," although I can't quite remember specifics.  I know I had a deux ex machina feeling a few too many times (more like house elf ex machina...) for it to be fully satisfying.

Go Mrs. Weasley!  Paradox gave me funny looks when I cracked up over her entry into the battle with Bellatrix.

It felt a bit put on that both Tonks and Lupin died.  Anyone else (I only read about 2/3 of the thread...sorry!) think that she's contemplating a Teddy Lupin series? emot-tongue  Perfect set up: semi-outcast orphan protected by the death of his parents...

You know, all the negatives aside, I did really enjoy the book overall.  I tend to see the negative first when I've just finished a book of this type.  I'm sure I'll see the positives more later.  I'm glad to be done with the series, and if she ever writes more (semi-related or totally unrelated), I likely will not read them.  There's something about J.K.'s writing style that doesn't sit well with me, and the last half the series started to feel like a chore to finish (Paradox still hasn't read book 6 even...he couldn't get through it first time around).  7 much less than 6, but starting with 5 I just felt like she was trying to become the hype of the books or something.  But still, she did a nice job of creating a great world for people to play in.  From fanfic writers to people like me who just enjoy making up little tales in their head.

#125 | Back to Top08-05-2007 01:34:38 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Cerise wrote:

Well, I finally got around to reading the book.  One thing, unspoilery to say: Really could have done without the epilogue.  How disappointing.  I don't like my endings wrapped up in a nice little bow.  But, alas, it is a children's book, and therefore it must be tidy.  emot-rolleyes

I wouldn't have liked it if I hadn't thought: C'mon, it's the end. I indulged my inner little chid emot-tongue

Cerise wrote:

Most of the others (from all the books) felt so forced and out of place.  She improved in this one, but only slightly.

--> Did you have the same forced feeling in Dumbledore's death? IMO, it was the only one that actually "fitted" with the plot, and was properly written. But at that point I was already crying, so my judgement might be a little biased emot-redface

Cerise wrote:

I know I had a deux ex machina feeling a few too many times (more like house elf ex machina...) for it to be fully satisfying.

emot-biggrin Deus ex machina is a JKR trademark. Or, even, a not-so-good children books trademark. What about a Petasus ex machina [I'm thinking about the Sorting Hat]?

Cerise wrote:

Anyone else (I only read about 2/3 of the thread...sorry!) think that she's contemplating a Teddy Lupin series? emot-tongue  Perfect set up: semi-outcast orphan protected by the death of his parents...

I noticed it, too. But I think that Albus Severus looks more like a reciclable character.

7 much less than 6, but starting with 5 I just felt like she was trying to become the hype of the books or something.

By the end of the 4th book, I noticed that the prose was not so smooth anymore, that everything had to fit with a world too complex, and that it was difficult for her to reveil what she wanted to without make it look forced.

Board footer