This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-29-2013 03:16:53 PM

zevrem
Banned

Theory: Akio Ohtori is a symbol for Ikuhara himself

Ikuhara was originally invited to work with Gainax on Neon Genesis Evangelion, but he refused for reasons I don't remember.

In Evangelion, there was a character named Tabris who arrived late in the series to seduce the docile, naive viewpoint character. Word is that Tabris was a manifestation of Evangelion director Hideaki Anno's sexual attraction to Ikuhara himself.

And of course, that is exactly the role played by Akio in SKU, that of a late arrival and a seducer of a docile, naive viewpoint character. The fact that he used to be Dios, the destroyer of monsters and last-minute-boyfriend of girls without dates on Christmas, is, in my mind, a pretty clear allusion to his previous work on Sailor Moon, since that's basically what Sailor Moon was about, killing monsters and saving the treasured symbols of late capitalism.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#2 | Back to Top03-29-2013 04:07:19 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: Theory: Akio Ohtori is a symbol for Ikuhara himself

zevrem wrote:

Word is that Tabris was a manifestation of Evangelion director Hideaki Anno's sexual attraction to Ikuhara himself.

What . . . ?

Anyway, on what I think Ikuhara intends for Akio the Ends of the World to be:
http://ohtori.nu/creators/a_ikuhara1.html

Ikuhara:  You know that a great many students commit suicide.
Ikuhara:  I think they're unable to imagine a happy future.
Ikuhara:  To put it more bluntly, they look at their mothers and fathers, who should be
Ikuhara:  motivating them for their future, and they can't imagine they will grow up to be happy.
Ikuhara:  The grownups they communicate with are their parents, their teachers and the like.
Ikuhara:  But looking at them, they can never be convinced that their future will be happy.
Ikuhara:  I don't think that's because of their parents, but because of their lack of imagination.
Ikuhara:  That may apply to me, too, though. I'm not so sure if I can portray this very well toward the audience, but...
Ikuhara:  Through this, you may be able to imagine a happy future,
Ikuhara:  or through this, you might be able to go on living happily. Or...
Ikuhara:  These are the sorts of things I wish to portray.
Ikuhara:  To put it nicely, this is why Utena is naive and foolish. She speaks of her Prince and the like, at her age.
Ikuhara:  To our sensibilities, we think of that as stupid.
Ikuhara:  I want to show that this sensibility of ours,
Ikuhara:  that leads us to think of that as stupid, is itself absurd.

The Ends of the World represents hopelessness, specifically, the hopelessness that the young feel when they look at the corrupted/unhappy adults around them (note how almost all adults in SKU are presented as bad role models for the young).  The Ends of the World is a powerful force (think society - one that pressures the young to conform and grow into its flawed definition of "adult") that limits the imagination of the young, such that they can only see themselves growing up to become like the flawed adults they hate, and despair as result.  Utena, on the other hand, symbolizes a force that dares the young to imagine how they can become something better than the flawed adults they see around them (think Prince); it's a "foolishly irrational" yet "spiritually empowering" force - one that can give power to counter despair.  The interaction between these two opposing forces - along with their respective influences on a number of passionate young people - makes up the story of TV SKU.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (03-29-2013 04:13:21 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#3 | Back to Top03-29-2013 04:13:22 PM

zevrem
Banned

Wow, never thought I'd see a deposition from him that was so up-front. It's like he was being interrogated by God himself. emot-biggrin

But anyway, that's what I think goes through the heads of angry teenagers. They look at their boring, quietly miserable parents and they become afraid of ending up like them.

Last edited by zevrem (03-29-2013 04:16:38 PM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#4 | Back to Top03-29-2013 04:38:43 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

zevrem wrote:

They look at their boring, quietly miserable parents and they become afraid of ending up like them.

And, realistically speaking, most of them will likely end up as just that; this is in part due to the limits set by their society, and in part due to their own limited strengths.

I believe that Akio - esp. his Ends of the World side - represents harsh realism to the point of being limiting-ly pessimistic.  His "knowing the whole of the world" (EP 39) allows him to play society like a fiddle, yet his inability to "dream impossible dreams" also ties him down.  Unable to be idealistic like Utena is, Akio could never sail above society-supported ideals; no matter how powerful to the world, he's really still a prisoner locked in a coffin called cynicism.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (03-29-2013 05:35:38 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#5 | Back to Top04-01-2013 03:46:43 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

If I recall rightly, Ikuhara has at least once or twice been photographed dressed like Akio. So maybe he sees something of himself there too.

http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie2/v/everyth … 6.jpg.html

Edit: Ugh, Cloudflare continues to fuck up the gallery.... Let me just pop this onto the site proper.

Edit 2: There.

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/Staff_016.jpg

Last edited by Yasha (04-01-2013 03:51:46 PM)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Board footer