This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-22-2012 02:56:38 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Re: THE FEELS - Emotional Anime/fandom moments

I like movies that make me sad, this is a neat thread. There's lots of stuff here that sound like great suggestions for me.

My own contribution would be to suggest Nana. It's sort of a melodramatic comedy. But it focuses on two friends becoming close and then needlessly falling away from each other over the course of events. I guess I like it particularly because I can relate to that... I've lost touch with far too many people I used to be friends with for no reason at all. So I find it pretty moving.

I like Utena because it moves me too, but ultimately in a more uplifting way.

Spirited Away was a good story about transformation and growth that moved me. That certainly had a nice ending too, and I liked the repeated use of water imagery.

#27 | Back to Top11-24-2012 03:41:56 PM

pinkgarish
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

I bawled the first time I finished Utena. I even knew what was coming and I still cried like a baby! But then again, I'm overly sensitive and cry at the drop of a hat, lmao

Most anime I've watched has gotten me a little bit emotional, but I think the ones that made me the most EMOTIONALLY DISTRESSED would have to be...

-Ano Hana (I actually really disliked it at first but the ending absolutely punched me in the gut)
-Princess Tutu (I just finished this last night! I still have a little knot in my stomach)
-Utena
-Madoka Magica
-Night on the Galactic Railroad
-Oniisama-e... (I actually really recommend this to any Utena fan)
-Grave of the Fireflies
-Arashi no Yoru Ni

I've yet to watch Penguindrum, but I accidentally stumbled upon a summary of the final episode and I teared up without even being familiar with the characters. :' (

"Which sky shall we travel to next?"

#28 | Back to Top11-26-2012 02:27:49 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

-Madoka Magica

I just watched this in a long run because of issues with the sleeping and having nothing better to do (I was made aware of it, more or less, from the previous post in this thread so thought I'd check out a new show). I wouldn't say this was my favorite show by a long shot, but it did bring a tear or two to my eye. It's not all that hard to get me crying, so take that with a grain of salt, but I thought it had it's moments. I liked the music used. I bet you could probably go into the show more if you were going to analyze it, I feel music played a really big role both thematically and in the design, but not in a glaringly obvious way that you can pick up without thinking about it some.

Anyways, I'd second this as an emotional-type show for anyone looking for something to see.

#29 | Back to Top11-26-2012 09:41:48 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future.

No words.  Sad forever.

#30 | Back to Top12-10-2012 06:20:03 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

There is this giant robot anime called Turn A Gundam. It has perhaps one of the most beautiful endings I have seen in an animated series: the music, the art, the tone. I haven't seen any other Gundam series (I hear they're good), but this Turn A Gundam seems to have drawn me into it.

The ending gives you feels because of just how perfect it is: it is like a fairy tale in the very far future, with cool giant robots that ends in this "Love, Will and Guts Triumph Above All!" ending which I love. The ending for the main characters is also quite moving, with happy for most and a little sad for one.

For those who have seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

#31 | Back to Top12-10-2012 06:34:21 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I think I bawled like a baby when I first watched FMA...which was when I was like 8 or 9, so it's understandable.

#32 | Back to Top12-17-2012 11:29:10 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

Varla wrote:

The Sailor Moon Sailor Stars ending is emot-gonk for any fan. Haruka and Michiru's segment had me crying ugly tears, and I never fail to get chills at the thought of the Starlights attacking Galaxia, streaming through space.

Oh man, that is so true. I would also say the third season of Sailor Moon had plenty of feels for those two. Let's see, there's the entire episode showing us how Haruka and Michiru met. Then, there's the hand-holding scene with the soft piano music playing before they confront Eugile. Then later Eugile is playing the Bach music and explaining that both of them have the tailsmans and it looks like they're both willing to die to save the world. Very angsty.

I will also agree to the entirety of Puella Magi Madoka Magic. Just go to crunchyroll and watch it everyone. It's brilliant.

And since we can talk about non-anime stuff, I'll mention the Terminator films. Yes, the movies about killer robots from the future had tearjerker moments. Beware of spoilers!

So, from the first move there's the seriously messed up future where Kyle Reese came from. Also, the whole Sarah Connor/Kyle Reese thing. I'll admit that the whole, "I fell in love with your picture" thing was a little weird. But their romance actually ended up being very relevant to the plot and also filled with plenty of angst. For a romance in a sci-fi action move, it was actually well done and didn't feel like something cheap and random they tacked on like most romances in action films. I ended up feeling really bad for Sarah when Kyle died.

And from the second movie, there's the part when Sarah goes to kill Miles Bennet Dyson because his work will one day lead to Sky Net and she wants to prevent that. However, she can't do it and has a breakdown when she realizes that she's become just like the terminators she hates.

Not to mention, the ending of the second movie. "I know now why you cry, but it is something I can never do." The whole scene is a tearjerker moment.

As for the third and fourth films, meh. I think there were some emotional moments in the third film like when Kate finds out that the TX murdered her finance and that scene of the nuclear bombs launching with the violin music in the background. I've only seen the fourth film once and to be honest I was too busy judging it for its plotholes to notice. I definitely like the first two Terminator films the best.

As for the TV series, it lags at times but does have some good moments. I was a little disappointed they cancelled it after two seasons because there actually was some interesting stuff going on at the end of season two.

#33 | Back to Top08-16-2014 03:27:11 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Ai no Kusabi´s ending. I know it´s cheesy, but hey, it was the most absurd and touching yaoi finale.

#34 | Back to Top09-08-2014 10:00:50 PM

Kiseki
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

As far as feels, I'll go with admitting stuff that's made me cry. Really hard to tell what'll do the trick. Themes often involved are of death or separation, meeting the dead again, and I particularly have a soft spot for animal/pet death. If it has strong music accompanying these moments that usually can get me to producing tears. But even if these things are involved doesn't particularly mean it'll do the trick.

Uh.. okay... First I'll get the western film/animation out of the way.
-Les Misérables (2012 film)
-Marley and Me
-Hachi: A Dog's Tale
-The Fox and the Hound (No one even dies in that film. It's just the scene where Widow Tweed is driving into the forest to release Todd into the wild and to this day always gets me.)

Now anime movies/series
-Grave of the Fireflies
-Wolf Children Ame and Yuki
-The Rose of Versailles

Utena, though it was great in making me think about many things and feel a variety of emotions, never made me cry even when I first watched it as a teen.
The episodes that carried the highest emotion for me were the Juri episodes and of course, the final episodes involving Utena and Anthy. I always get goosebumps when I hear the main theme/overture playing when Utena and Anthy see each other again one last time before being separated.
And freaking "Shi no Aphrodite..." My brain can fool itself into feeling sad if I listen to any version of that song for too long.

Last edited by Kiseki (09-08-2014 10:02:25 PM)

http://r14.imgfast.net/users/1412/22/06/04/smiles/2930773878.gifDo you suppose happiness is something close to us, after all?

Board footer