This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-08-2009 05:02:28 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Utena Personality Types

Simple what personality type do you think our beloved characters are and why? No guesses as to who the scientist could be emot-rolleyes

#2 | Back to Top01-08-2009 06:55:22 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Utena Personality Types

Here is the list to work from.

ENFJ - The Givers
ENFP - The Inspirers
ENTJ - The Executives
ENTP - The Visionaries

ESFP - The Performers
ESFJ - The Caregivers
ESTP - The Doers
ESTJ - The Guardians

INFJ - The Protectors
INFP - The Idealists
INTJ - The Scientists
INTP - The Thinkers

ISFP - The Artists
ISFJ - The Nurturers
ISTP - The Mechanics
ISTJ - The Duty Fulfillers

Last edited by Tamago (01-08-2009 07:05:42 PM)

#3 | Back to Top01-09-2009 04:03:41 AM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

My guesses.

ESFP - The Shadow Girls
INTP - Mikage
ENFJ - Wakaba
INFP - Utena

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#4 | Back to Top01-09-2009 09:16:47 AM

cloche
Saionji Slapper

This is how I would break it down, off the top of my head:

Utena: ESFP
Anthy: INFJ
Touga: ENTP
Saionji: ISFJ
Miki: INTP
Juri: ISTJ
Nanami: ESFP
Akio: ENTJ
Shiori: ISFP
Mikage: INTJ

I've gotta say, aside from Anthy, Utena, Miki, and Mikage, none of these click instantly. Maybe someone else can make a better analysis?

#5 | Back to Top01-09-2009 09:32:01 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Based on what I know about myself as being one, my guess for INFP might be...actually, I don't think any of them are. emot-gonk Perhaps Kanae? I would say Utena, as the ultimate idealist of the show, but she seems more extroverted.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (01-09-2009 09:41:57 AM)

#6 | Back to Top01-09-2009 11:36:58 AM

Kaelyndra
Pained Growlithe

I think Juri is an INFJ; She seems to have extreme ideals, especially that time she went off on Utena like an insane for looking for her Prince. She also has that sort of cold, one-route looking exterior, and we all know about her angsty battles that she constantly has with herself on the inside due to Shiori. But there was also that moment in the fencing team where the girl hurt herself and Juri turned into a caring individual, telling her to take time off until it had healed.

Wakaba seems fitting to ENFP. She may not be able to talk well out of anything, but I bet she can talk through anything. She also seems to have highly evolved values despite her absolutely goofy nature. She knows where she stands on men, especially when Utena is having her doubts over Akio.  And goodness knows she understands Utena well, even if it doesn't always show through her massive glomping fits.

Mock Puppet's interpretation of ENFJ sounds almost perfect as well. I'd forgotten about the whole wanting to be with Saionji bit and not feeling special.

-

That's all my brain wants to fit right now. Maybe I'll do a few more later.

Edited to add some things to Wakaba's bit

Last edited by Kaelyndra (01-09-2009 11:44:01 AM)

#7 | Back to Top01-09-2009 12:33:16 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I had some fun going through the test imagining I was a certain character and answering the questions accordingly.

Shiori: ISFP. Very close to an INFP. Shiori constantly wants to associate with friends and have a dedicated throng of followers, but socializing drains her and can make her uncomfortable. She's more reserved and awkward than she'd like to admit. ISFPs are often very gentle and can have a strong affinity for animals. Although we don't see much of this in Shiori, her sad reaction when the bird smashes itself into the window glass indicates empathy. In her own selfish way, I think she can be very gentle. Included in the the analysis is this: "ISFPs are extremely perceptive and aware of others. They constantly gather specific information about people, and seek to discover what it means. They are usually penetratingly accurate in their perceptions of others." I think overall this is pretty accurate.

Juri: INFJ. For exactly the reasons that Kael described, I think it's accurate.

Kozue: ESFP. ESFPs are born entertainers and can be witty, engaging, and endlessly seductive. They are smooth, like to live in the fast lane, and are lively and uninhibited. While I think that Kozue does have a private side and is slow to express her true emotions (contrary to what she says), she focuses her ego on people rather than on her academics or art. She needs to influence and make an impression.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#8 | Back to Top01-10-2009 01:17:19 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Thanks Tamago emot-wink

INTP for Mikage/Nemuro might actually be more accurate than my original, and I agree with ENTP for Touga. Though I might have to look around a bit more for Miki, agreeing with Juri so far. What about Mitsuru?

#9 | Back to Top01-10-2009 01:21:52 PM

cloche
Saionji Slapper

I think you could describe Nemuro as an INTP. But I also think that Mikage, as differentiated from Nemuro, is more of a latent INTJ instead. While Nemuro is described as a cold, dry man in canon, as Mikage, he has a sort of precise charisma and influence that Nemuro never had. That self-awareness -- or confidence, whatever you'd like to call it -- is pretty common among the stereotypical INTJ personality. 

As for Juri, she never seemed particularly intuitive to me. She's thoughtful, true, but
my impression was that she valued rationality and pragmaticism over sensitivity and understanding, no matter how much turmoil her own feelings caused her. Perhaps not to the extent of relying solely on logic, but with a marked bias in that direction. She's also highly aware of her surroundings, and responsive to them, despite her introspection.

Also, I'm not sure that this website gives a full (or wholly accurate) picture of the Myers-Brigg typology model. Just my two cents.

#10 | Back to Top01-10-2009 02:06:50 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Coco Melancholy wrote:

What about Mitsuru?

Mitsuru strikes me as an ESFJ.  He seems more concerned with others' feelings -- especially Nanami's, but also Mari's, Touga's, and Utena's -- than with his own, hence the E.  His psychological emphasis is on figuring out the right thing to do (hence the J) and he does it by using his empathy and impulse rather than through detached analysis (hence the F).  We don't have much information on what he does when he must gather information rather than acting on it, but he doesn't seem to me to be the type who looks for patterns in things or plays hunches like an N does; while I'm having trouble thinking of evidence for this, he seems much more grounded in the physical world to me.  That makes him an S.  So ESFJ.

I agree with cloche about Nemuro being an INTP (more interested in figuring out how things are than what to do about them) and Mikage an INTJ (vice versa).

#11 | Back to Top08-18-2011 04:23:16 PM

Shance
Miki Molester

I've  been studying MBTI in my spare time, so I thought I'd share what I think.

Utena = ENFP
Anthy = INFJ
Akio = ENFJ (a very warped one)
ChuChu = ESFP (although he is almost creepily ESTP sometimes)
Touga = ENTJ
Saionji = ESFJ
Miki = ISFJ (before anyone comments "but he's too smart!", every confirmed ISFJ I've ever met has been very academically smart)
Juri = INFJ
Nanami = ENFJ
Mitsuru = ESFJ
Kanae = ISFP (best guess)
Wakaba = ENFP
Tatsuya = ISFJ
Kozue = ESFP
Shiori = INFP (there are many hints we are given that she's quite romantic and socially awkward)
Mikage = INTJ
Nemuro = INTP

Is there anyone I am  missing?

#12 | Back to Top08-19-2011 09:35:59 AM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

Anthy strikes me as a very broken INFP.

The lack of self-preservation. Her negative outlook strikes me as a defense mechanism after being disappointed so much.  if she is not directly manipulating someone, then she sort of doesn't really know what to do.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#13 | Back to Top08-20-2011 06:31:58 AM

wblstudios
Banned

I wanted to participate in this thread, but there's no 'complete a******' option, so my classifying Nanami is out.

#14 | Back to Top08-24-2011 06:26:13 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

As an ENFJ I'd like to agree that Akio could be a "very warped one" as Shance put it. etc-wankdude An ENJF without a conscience as it were, using people skills to seduce and manipulate the masses. But for him to lose his conscience (which is so well-developed in an ENFJ as to be painful)...something big musta had to happen. After all a classic ENFJ would start off caring about the perspective of everyone else and weighing up their greater interests.

Wait...that sounds like Dios. Oh my. school-devil

But as for Wakaba as a possible ENJF...she just doesn't have the people awareness. And she seems quite sensory to me, not intuitive. She is extrovert though! I'll vote for that much. emot-tongue

Nanami as an ENFJ? Too self-involved and not enough people-power. She's not really charming-controlling (like Akio), she's more cows her followers into submission.

#15 | Back to Top08-27-2011 11:03:37 PM

Shance
Miki Molester

Here's a challenge...

Someone type Ikuhara!

#16 | Back to Top08-27-2011 11:13:12 PM

QQQQQ
Cow Bellhop

Ja, how easy! An INFP!

Board footer