This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#276 | Back to Top05-30-2013 04:50:41 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

emot-aaa

How many nurses ever get a musical tribute to their talent and generosity?  Not many!  Go go Gio!  poptart

As for you, Florence... which do you prefer, Revolution Televisor or Ill Divo?

#277 | Back to Top05-30-2013 08:25:52 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

satyreyes wrote:

emot-aaa

How many nurses ever get a musical tribute to their talent and generosity?  Not many!  Go go Gio!  poptart

As for you, Florence... which do you prefer, Revolution Televisor or Ill Divo?

Hehe, Go Gio, indeed! emot-dance

Umm, haha, I kind of like Ill Divo ("Sick" Star?), but I kind of like Televisor, too. I'd feel bad coming up with my own title, so I'll flow with whatever you think suits best. emot-biggrin

#278 | Back to Top05-31-2013 02:11:43 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I have no words. Still blushing and laughing. emot-biggrin

I would like to thank the Academy of Florence for this award, which I now value more than my license to practice nursing, which is just a piece of legally binding paper instead of a god damn tribute song HATERS GONNA HATE. emot-dance

PS. The purple poop is from you eating too many beets. You wouldn't be the first to make that mistake. emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#279 | Back to Top05-31-2013 12:46:06 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I feel pretty sure Florence pulled the one about purple poop from some foolish querent earlier in the thread.  emot-rolleyes

#280 | Back to Top05-31-2013 11:32:05 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

satyreyes wrote:

I feel pretty sure Florence pulled the one about purple poop from some foolish querent earlier in the thread.  emot-rolleyes

That is correct. emot-biggrin

#281 | Back to Top08-23-2013 11:01:43 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

A few weeks ago a muscle in the back of my thigh had a wicked charlie horse or something similar to that. It seized up in the middle of the night, painfully, and I darted out of bed in agony trying to walk it off to relax the muscle.

I can still feel the effects of this now. If I try to remove my shoes with my feet while standing, it hurts in that muscle. At night, if I feel it clench at all I wake up immediately, fearful that it is going to seize up again.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to affect me at during athletic activity. I can run and play tennis normally.

Thoughts?

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#282 | Back to Top08-25-2013 08:28:12 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

It's not unheard of to tear the shit out of a muscle by cramping, and that's probably what you've got going on here. The reason it doesn't ding when you're doing athletic stuff is probably because it's being warmed up enough to calm the muscle down first. Also if the motion of lifting your foot inward to reach it is what dings it when running and such don't, it's probably a minor muscle group you tore, not one that will take the brunt of the effort for gross motor activity.

Unfortunately there's not much to be done about it aside from wait it out. Some very gentle stretching of the area (you'll know it's the right stretch if it's tender when you do it) helps the muscle heal in a better state. If you're having a very hard time sleeping, a sedating agent before bed will help for a while. Benadryl or even a shot of whisky.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#283 | Back to Top10-13-2013 05:58:29 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Hey medically inclined folks.

So, I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDPzOwvpaAw and am wondering, why no blood comes out, if you can tell where on the body this is, and is that puss or what they pull out?

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#284 | Back to Top06-04-2014 12:40:21 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

My mother wants to know what other underlying conditions  besides diabetes can cause cataracts.

Last edited by Riri-kins (06-05-2014 10:28:54 AM)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#285 | Back to Top06-07-2014 11:04:12 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

Hey medically inclined folks.

So, I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDPzOwvpaAw and am wondering, why no blood comes out, if you can tell where on the body this is, and is that puss or what they pull out?

Video's dead but I think I know this one. It's a back, and it's puss coming out. Blood would come out near the end if done properly but you see none because cysts of that nature are encapsulated, and have no involvement in the surrounding vascular tissue. It's why antibiotics taken orally don't fix them--the blood doesn't reach the site of infection.

Riri-kins wrote:

My mother wants to know what other underlying conditions  besides diabetes can cause cataracts.

Age. emot-frown There's also an association noted with corticosteroids, so if your mom takes those for some reason her risk is greater. But they are often enough spontaneous developments of age, because your body isn't really designed to be productive after like 50. emot-rolleyes

#286 | Back to Top06-08-2014 04:13:47 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Okay there are these patches of spots under my boobs.  Like, two shades darker than my skin tone, and blotchy, the overall shape of them resembling upside down triangles.  At times they peel white, like dry skin, but I moisturize every day.  The same spots are on my inner elbows, sans the peeling.  Even when not peeling, they look shiny like scar tissue.

WHAT IS DIS????

#287 | Back to Top06-08-2014 10:29:36 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Sounds like yeast, which actually likes the moist climate you're making with lotion. Skip moisturizing those areas, and if they're really itchy and annoying, get an antifungal cream.

Yeast is always on your skin so you never get rid of it such that it'll never return. It's more about control.

#288 | Back to Top06-09-2014 10:08:05 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Giovanna wrote:

Sounds like yeast, which actually likes the moist climate you're making with lotion. Skip moisturizing those areas, and if they're really itchy and annoying, get an antifungal cream.

Yeast is always on your skin so you never get rid of it such that it'll never return. It's more about control.

*looks down at boobs*  You're gross.  I'm gross.

#289 | Back to Top06-09-2014 11:28:01 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Bodies are gross. emot-frown

It's a common mistake. Women always want to moisturize LIKE A BAWS, but there are parts of the body that are often too moist for the healthy flora and damp enough for the ickies. This is why athlete's foot (same problem) is a thing--moist foots in warm dark places for long periods. As a rule, if it's a place where the skin is usually folded, like under breasts (and have to say it, chub rolls), under arms, behind ears...don't moisturize.

#290 | Back to Top06-17-2014 09:09:59 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

" cysts of that nature are encapsulated " huh thanks gio! That makes sense!

Also thanks for the heads up on lubrication  and skin, this also explains the reasoning behind don't lotion between the toes!

I concur that bodies are gross! proof... http://jezebel.com/5667687/we-have-a-wi … -ever-read
http://jezebel.com/your-most-disgusting … 1590616226

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#291 | Back to Top08-13-2014 10:23:48 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hey Gio!  About a day after taking a nice sunny road trip through beautiful countryside, I noticed a black spot on the outer palm of my hand, almost at the wrist.  It's kind of triangular, about 2 mm x 1 mm, about the size you'd get if you accidentally poked yourself with a fine-point Sharpie.  It's raised from the surface of the skin, but not by much -- the rise is detectable by touching but not by looking -- and its top is flat.  Edges are crisp.  I haven't noticed that it's grown since I saw it a few days ago, but it might have.

Is this a possible melanoma?  Should I call my doctor in, or wait and see if it grows?

#292 | Back to Top08-14-2014 06:13:06 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Hey Gio!  About a day after taking a nice sunny road trip through beautiful countryside, I noticed a black spot on the outer palm of my hand, almost at the wrist.  It's kind of triangular, about 2 mm x 1 mm, about the size you'd get if you accidentally poked yourself with a fine-point Sharpie.  It's raised from the surface of the skin, but not by much -- the rise is detectable by touching but not by looking -- and its top is flat.  Edges are crisp.  I haven't noticed that it's grown since I saw it a few days ago, but it might have.

Is this a possible melanoma?  Should I call my doctor in, or wait and see if it grows?

Regarding skin cancer:

We use the mnemonic ABCDE: A is for asymmetry. Basically anything not round is a red flag. B is for border, are the borders regular and smooth or random, splotchy, and of uneven thickness or depth? C is for color; black and brown in an unorganized manner from the center, or basically anything that doesn't look like a normal color. And D is for diameter, or anything over 1/4 inch. E is for evolving, meaning is it changing before your very eyes, day to day?

Chances are slim it's cancer, it's more likely a natural variation in your skin brought out by the sun exposure. Watch it for two or three more days. If it doesn't evolve or change in any way in line with the above alphabets, I wouldn't worry. emot-smile

#293 | Back to Top08-22-2014 08:26:10 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Chances are slim it's cancer, it's more likely a natural variation in your skin brought out by the sun exposure. Watch it for two or three more days. If it doesn't evolve or change in any way in line with the above alphabets, I wouldn't worry. emot-smile

I asked my doctor about it today during an appointment for laryngitis.  He says it's not a melanoma, and that it's most likely a blood clot under the skin that will resolve itself in time.  So, a hit for Gio!  Thank you!  etc-love

(As for the laryngitis, he thinks it might be strep, and he prescribed me antibiotics over my protests that I didn't want antibiotics if they weren't necessary.  I get to find out whether I'm allergic to amoxicillin like my brother!)

#294 | Back to Top08-22-2014 12:13:22 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Have you ever heard of a two-year-old child who was unable to be diagnosed after having a seizure?  These seizures always come whenever she has a fever over a hundred degrees but nobody can find anything wrong.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#295 | Back to Top01-27-2015 06:34:16 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Soooooo.

I have been coughing daily since I got over my cold/flu thing around December 30th or so. I can taste the phlegm on my tongue, but it's never very much and it's not discolored. Sometime I have coughing fits. They don't last long. All of this is really inconvenient, since the more I talk, the more the urge to cough is there.

Sitting in my cabinet is a full prescription of Amoxicillin that is about a year old that some doctor gave me but that I never needed to take.

Should I take the Mox, just hope the cough will eventually go away on its own, or make an appointment?

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#296 | Back to Top01-28-2015 09:01:18 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

Have you ever heard of a two-year-old child who was unable to be diagnosed after having a seizure?  These seizures always come whenever she has a fever over a hundred degrees but nobody can find anything wrong.

Because in all likelihood, nothing is wrong! Febrile seizures are well-known to occur in many children, and while they're no fun to watch, and do carry all the risks seizures have as they happen, rarely extend to an actual seizure disorder. It will almost always go away the older they get, rarely extending into puberty. Make sure mom knows basic seizure management, and that you should seek treatment when they occur or have the child checked up on after, but that the seizure itself is probably benign. Just need to make sure the already feverish little guy is getting, say, enough nutrition to manage such a busy day. (Sorry I missed this post, I didn't even see it...)

Ash:

***** NOT MEDICAL ADVICE *****

I'm gonna be a dissenting voice in health care here, because I know how fun it is to go to the doc in the States. If you have a *full run* of Amox as would be prescribed for an upper respiratory infection (sounds like what this is), go for it. That would be this:

Immediate-release: 250 to 500 mg orally 3 times a day for 7 to 10 days; alternatively, 500 to 875 mg orally twice a day may be administered

Keep in mind a major sinus infection can take longer to treat, but that frankly any doctor is going to start you on this basic run anyhow. If you are short more than two doses, don't do this. If you have the full run, take double the first dose. This is called loading, and we do it in hospitals frequently. It does seem to help knock out symptoms a bit earlier. If symptoms don't improve in 2-3 days, keep taking the amox, but go to a doc and let them know you've been doing so. They won't judge.

#297 | Back to Top02-10-2015 05:26:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Is neurofeedback therapy a scam? It kind of sounds like a scam. But I thought the same thing about EMDR, and some people swear by that.

#298 | Back to Top02-10-2015 08:32:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The problem with neurosciences is that it all sounds like total bullshit, including the stuff that works. Why does zapping the shit out of your brain actually help some psych disorders? Why can you cure phantom limb pain by using a mirror to show a person a leg that's not really there?

These both sound like bullshit to me. The latter slightly less so, but the former works on the same mechanism that, say, HabitRPG does. It uses feedback that gives a visual representation to your behavior. May be useful, but it's not a cure all, and it's not clinically significant as a solution.

#299 | Back to Top02-10-2015 09:41:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

May be useful, but it's not a cure all, and it's not clinically significant as a solution.

And that's the bottom line, isn't it?  Thank you!

#300 | Back to Top06-26-2015 07:45:13 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

What does one do when they've been without proper nutritional input over a period of 48 to 60 hours?

Wednesday afternoon, I got up at 3pm after 6 or so hours of sleep. I didn't feel like getting up, but I did anyway because I had to go pay the electric bill. I went out to do that, then had a couple tunafish sandwiches at my friend's house (it was about 5:30 or so by the time I got to eat those) went out, then ended up back at his place again. I had a few fish fillets with a bit of salad at about 9:30... I got home at 11, and took a nap from 12 to 1am. Then I spent the next 6 hours in a less than favorable state because of a spider, and I didn't think about food.

It was at around 8am (I think) when my roommate got up, and I talked to him for a bit. I knew he and his gf were heading out that morning for a camping trip and would be out for the weekend, so I put off sleeping to talk to him for a bit... then he offered me a joint (one leaning more towards a "body" high) and without adequately considering my situation I smoked over half of it. This pretty much instantly caused me to have a panic attack, which kept me from sleeping. At that point, I couldn't get myself to eat anything either. It wasn't for at least another few hours that I tried to sleep... and couldn't because I felt severe pain in my nerves, the kind of soreness a young person's muscles just shouldn't ever have to deal with. Obviously throughout the panic attack I had done a lot of hyperventilating, but talking and drinking water were the only things I could get myself to do.

I managed to calm down enough to eat a few pretzels at about 8pm, having spent the entire day struggling to comfort myself by talking to my friend. I managed to crash at about 10pm, and woke up this morning at 4 am. My nerves are still sore, and all I've had to eat is a sandwich. I can't tell whether I need more food or more sleep, but I've been without the right amount of both for so long that it's difficult to figure out what to prioritize. I just feel sick...

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

Board footer