This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-31-2006 08:37:12 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

New Years Traditions

Maybe it's something big and exciting, or maybe it's something simple that you just do because you want to.  It doesn't have to be on New Years Eve or Day specifically, but just something that you do every year to mark the occasion.

For me, this will be my third year of starting off the year by watching all three Lord of the Rings movies (extended editions) in order.  Not all in one day, mind you... I don't have that kind of free time!  I'll be watching Fellowship of the Ring sometime this week, then hopefully the next two weeks I'll get The Two Towers and Return of the King in.  I always try to be done by the end of January, but sometimes it takes me until mid-February.  We'll see how I do this year.

I never used to do anything to mark the new year (personally, I find the way it's celebrated in the US to be ridiculously overrated), but one year I decided to watch Fellowship on New Years Day, and that started it all.

So how does everyone else start the new year off?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#2 | Back to Top12-31-2006 08:43:48 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: New Years Traditions

My New Year has been starting off with me staying indoors trying to stay cool. emot-gonk

#3 | Back to Top12-31-2006 08:46:59 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I'm not a big fan of New Years. It's probably my least favourite holiday since I mentally associate everything after Halloween with the next year.

So I've been celebrating New Years for the past six or so years hanging out in my room and listening to tunes and comforting all my friends who didn't get invited to parties. It's a good night to unwind.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#4 | Back to Top12-31-2006 09:59:49 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Family day for me, I just hope I don't have to go church the first even if it's mean because it´s in memorial of my dead grandfather. (he was born the first)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#5 | Back to Top12-31-2006 10:09:38 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

It just turned midnight where I live. If the world ends this year, that's my fault, because I turned on Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku the second that it turned midnight. emot-frown

My New Years tradition is to stay up all night. This is really more of me not learning my lesson from the last few years than a tradition. My family's tradition is to go out to eat on New Years.

#6 | Back to Top12-31-2006 11:49:02 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I have kept my New Year's Resolution by not making any resolutions for a change.

#7 | Back to Top01-01-2007 03:31:05 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I don't really have any traditions. Went to see Borat though, and it was fun.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#8 | Back to Top01-01-2007 04:09:24 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

My family always watches the Dinner for One, a comedy play shot on screen in 1963 and shown every New Year in here, Sweden, Germany and some other countries, apparently. It tells about 90-year old woman having a dinner party with her friends, who have sadly all died decades ago, so her butler has to act their roles, drinking four toasts for her at every course.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#9 | Back to Top01-01-2007 04:24:56 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I have no traditions as well, but I'm going to spend the whole day on drawings and painting.
I heard that if you do something on New Year's Day then you'll end up doing it for the rest of the year too. I dunno whether it's true or not, but I've decided to take a day to draw and not to study anything.
emot-frown I wish this day would last longer though. Or that I hadn't slept so long.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#10 | Back to Top01-01-2007 04:55:20 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I like going out on New Year's Eve, if I can get my close friends all together, if not, I prefer to stay home rather then shove off kisses at 12...or worse, accept kisses after one too many celebratory shots.

I like to watch the NYC ball drop, whether I'm in a public place, or on my living room couch...I'll see that, usually with the "featured musical guest" (aka Mariah - what is she the only star they can get every single year) muted.

New Year's Day, I always spend writing massive lists of all the things I'm going to accomplish that year.

Usually ends in depression as 1. I love holidays and hate when the season is over. 2. Expectations are so high, I'm always disappointed when there aren't angels & trumpets surrounding the festivities 3. The 'list of things to accomplish' always has lots of entries left over from the year before.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#11 | Back to Top01-01-2007 06:50:24 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

In spain we eat 12 grapes in the last 12 seconds of the year o_o i don't know if it's the same in all the world. I can't eat the 12 grapes -___- it's hard..

#12 | Back to Top01-01-2007 12:20:48 PM

silver moon
Wakaba Wrangler

Ever since I was little, my family would always watch the Back to the Future movies back to back on New Years Eve.

#13 | Back to Top01-01-2007 03:20:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Epi_lepsia wrote:

In spain we eat 12 grapes in the last 12 seconds of the year o_o i don't know if it's the same in all the world. I can't eat the 12 grapes -___- it's hard..

I like this tradition. I will do that next year.

My tradition, if I'm starting a trend by yesterday, is to be bawling my eyes out watching Return of the King while I stitch together a shot of Touga in his kendo uniform.

Now I kinda wish I'd at least flipped to the TV to see the ball drop. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#14 | Back to Top01-01-2007 03:25:04 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

I always have a half-shot glass of Bailey's Irish Cream(the other half is milk) with mom & dad when the ball drops in Times Square.  Usually it gets me really really drunk though, so I end up crawling on my hands & knees to my room.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#15 | Back to Top01-01-2007 04:58:01 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I usually sit on the couch with my parents, watch the ball drop, and stay up after they go to bed.

I. Rock.

#16 | Back to Top01-01-2007 05:17:37 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I usually go to some party being held. Thats what I did this year. I know, I'm so original.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#17 | Back to Top01-02-2007 02:08:21 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Uhm...usually I stay up, but this year was the fun New Year's Eve of the 103.3 Degree Fever.

I died.

This is my ghost writing this.

Yup.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#18 | Back to Top01-02-2007 02:38:13 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Well it's not a tradition but I went to see Borat with my family. I haven't seen my dad laugh that hard in a long time. Which of course is doubly funny because he's Jewish too, though not as much as our beloved Borat.

#19 | Back to Top01-02-2007 02:42:55 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

morosemocha wrote:

Uhm...usually I stay up, but this year was the fun New Year's Eve of the 103.3 Degree Fever.

I died.

This is my ghost writing this.

Yup.

SO IT'S YOUR FAULT IT'S SO HOT OUTSIDE. emot-mad

I kid, I hope you feel better soon, dear. That's no way to start a new year...dying and becoming a ghost and all. Bad for your hair.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#20 | Back to Top01-03-2007 08:27:54 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Epi_lepsia wrote:

neta? They also do that in spain emot-confused I thought it was only on Mexico XD

Giovanna wrote:

Epi_lepsia wrote:

You have to count them and ask a wish for each grape.

Oh I forgot on my family when is midnight everybody cheers with cider I think they also do it in other countries

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#21 | Back to Top01-04-2007 04:59:24 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Romanticide wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Epi_lepsia wrote:

You have to count them and ask a wish for each grape.

Neta, actually that tradition comes from Spain, they said that in a farmn, or something like that, they had MANY grapes that year so they ate 12 and asking wishes in the last 12 seconds of the year. Grapes are a spanish symbol û_u but oh god, it's hard to ate them all in 12 seconds -i never fail, anyways-

This year, in the centre of the city, we were eating the grapes and there were some accidents, specially with the foreinger people, a japanese girl suffocated with the grapes û_u..

Eso pasa por culpa de la conquista, las tradiciones se mezclan 8D

#22 | Back to Top01-04-2007 05:39:21 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Are you eating fresh grapes or dried grapes? Perhaps you can use dried grapes next year for a change.

I don't have any tradition for New Year. This year I spent my day at my mother's home, and had an early celebration for my birthday.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#23 | Back to Top01-04-2007 05:36:40 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

I've started it off by being terribly ill...so no fun there.emot-frown

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#24 | Back to Top01-04-2007 10:45:41 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Aww, you were sick too? That's no fun...

#25 | Back to Top01-05-2007 03:56:21 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Yeah...I think I got it at work....and all this week I've been this little weakling. But I hope I'll get better soon....you were sick too?

"Those shoes are mine betch."

Board footer