This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:28:52 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

"Broad spectrum?"

Calliston, in the Introduction thread, wrote:

Hurray! I like the broad spectrum of people in this board.

Do we really have a broad spectrum of people here?  I'm going to stereotype here, so attach all the usual caveats, but we are mostly female, mostly gay/bi, mostly white, and mostly under thirty.  I'm pretty sure we have at least one straight Hispanic male, so the pattern is neither universal, but tell me you post on IRG and I'll guess you are a bi young white girl.  Do we have anyone over thirty?  Any African-Americans?

We speak a lot of different languages, and I think there are delegates of a lot of countries here, so I guess we're fairly cosmopolitan.  I think we may also be fairly diverse classwise, though I suspect we're concentrated in the middle- to upper-middle class.  I think what makes us feel diverse, though, is not actual diversity so much as being very accepting of what diversity we have.  I don't feel unwelcome for being a straight guy, and our non-native English speakers get treated with as much respect as everyone else.  We might also feel diverse because chicks are a minority on almost all nerd BBs, so having a predominantly female board is different in itself.

Thoughts?  What other kinds of diversity are there?  Do we have 'em?

#2 | Back to Top12-12-2006 12:13:00 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: "Broad spectrum?"

I thought this was going to be about antibiotics. emot-redface

I would agree that overall, we're probably a young, white, bisexual crowd of women. You're going to get that majority in any community devoted to a shoujo anime series, though. (I've noticed male anime fans group together more than female ones do, thus there are more male-dominant anime boards out there.) I am, personally, a bunch of delighted at how cosmopolitan we are, though. Makes me feel like it's a true global community. And it is. emot-smile

I would also agree that we feel diverse because we openly savor our differences. Yasha and I were just discussing this, so I'll bring it here a little. I'm really, honestly, completely in love with the whole lot of you. I had my concerns about opening a forum, I was worried about how people would get along, whether we'd have to deal with a lot of flaming and bickering, which I've seen both in general and within the SKU fanbase at times. You guys are a fantastic crowd. I haven't seen any immature LOL INTERNETS garbage, I haven't seen anyone excluded or singled out, I haven't seen anyone looked down on for their practices and thoughts. My heart was in my throat when we started discussing our gender preferences in IFD, I thought 'This is going to be an ugly, flame-laden  start to my forum.', and as it turned out, it was one of the most mature discussions of sex I've ever seen.

Seriously. I love you guys. etc-love You're the best crowd a little forum admin like me could hope for, and meeting and getting to communicate with such cool people really makes me want to work on the site more. emot-smile

As for you, satyreyes...I must admit my first thought was...OMG A MALE SKU FAN. THAT'S STRAIGHT. Plz, can I poke you with a stick? Maybe dissect you? You are definitely a rare breed, but just as welcome here. emot-smile It's great getting all different perspectives, and even with the similarities in demographic, we accomplish that very, very well.

I'm just another 20-something white bisexual girl. I'm poor though...I wasn't when I started with SKU, hence how I could afford to brutally rape all those artbooks. emot-frown I only speak English, though I know a lot of different languages are spoken here. I'm Italian in origin, and though that makes me far less Italian than the actual Italians on the board, apparently it shows strongly in my day to day life. (I'm told. Maybe because I have a loud voice and sneer when people eat Pizza Hut?)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top12-12-2006 12:15:54 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I haven't been here long enough to be sure...although I would not have said I felt, so far, like the people here were a homogeneous group. 

I've noticed at least 3 people that I thought were male. emot-biggrin  And, I might be a young, lower-middle class white girl (I'm poor, but my parents have a nice house [and no money]), but I'm not bi.  And I only speak English because...um...just cuz.

You make a good point about embracing what diversity is here...but I have to point out... I don't think you're going to find a lot of homophobes among a group of people that you describe as being primarily bisexual.  Nor a lot of xenophobes among a caucasian group of anime fans (or fans of at least one anime, anyway).

Haha...I thought this was gonna be about antibiotics too.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (12-12-2006 12:47:29 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#4 | Back to Top12-12-2006 12:23:51 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

I'm 27, white, straight, and male. This puts me in the minority on the board, something I think is pretty awesome, since it's not a common feeling. emot-biggrin

I'm also Canadian, so I'll take what little minority group cred I can from that.

I also think this board is pretty awesome in terms of the maturity and politeness of discussion. I was utterly amazed the bisexuality thread on the Utena-specific forum didn't explode into flames, and I was in it and desperately hoping it wouldn't.

#5 | Back to Top12-12-2006 12:36:54 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

That is true. I have, though, actually met and spoken with homophobic SKU fans. Blows the mind, honestly. SKU is not a series that's going to attract homophobic people overall. And for their lacking, I don't mind that they're not represented here. I'm not missing some idiot douchebag railing about how GOD HATES FAGS AND DOTHEADS. I hear that all day at my job. I expect better from a group I choose to be a part of.

There's diversity and there's ignorance. The line may blur and become the subject of fierce debate (rawr cultural relativism), but overall it's clear enough here. An assortment of genders and gender preferences = good. Someone openly disapproving of one person's gender/sexual orientation = bad. My ass gets in the air the moment anyone feels unwelcome here, and that I know of, that hasn't happened yet.

I may be especially passionate about this because I deal with a lot of ignorance of that kind where I live and especially where I work, and I hate it. I hear 'nigger' at least twice a day. I work with people that will remind you at every opportunity that they 'fucking hate fags'. I hate it.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#6 | Back to Top12-12-2006 12:39:53 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

Ahahaha. Guilty as charged, though thoroughly a starving student (my family was poor growing up, though now I suppose they qualify as middle-class). The kind of people who will be exposed to this stuff are definitely of a certain stripe - but I think the board makes a good showing regardless, all things considered.

(I'm a Mexican Citizen, though! I'm half-Hispanic! Nevermind that I'm completely blond and pale and my Mexican family is European in descent and they're rich as hell...)

Was introduced to Utena by a male, if that counts any.

#7 | Back to Top12-12-2006 12:41:16 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Hmmm, sounds like a sociological exercise or something.  I'll admit, I fit most of the bias you laid out--I'm 23, female, white, middle-class, able to speak a language other than English--but then I don't in that I'm straight.  But I dig any and all serious discussions about the forms sexuality can take.  Even though I'm straight, I realize that sexuality isn't an either/or situation.  Gray areas can be fun to traverse or simply discuss, and I really enjoy reading other peoples' thoughts and experiences.

Wow, that makes it sound like I'm only here for IFD...  Guilty as charged, I suppose.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#8 | Back to Top12-12-2006 12:46:17 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

But Anthy and Akio ARE dotheads... literally...........

I'm quite surprised that a homophobe would feel comfortable watching Utena once, let alone more than once.  Ok, actually--not so much that as a person who "hates" homosexuality and homosexuals.  Shouldn't they boycott Utena?

I know how you feel, though.  My family is down-home southern.  At Thanksgiving they started whispering with disapproval about how a distant cousin had a BLACK baby...that was the last straw for that day.  I went off on quite a tangent.

I actually tend to avoid online communities.  Much like I avoid communitizing in real life.  That said, it's nearly impossible to avoid it totally, and (so far) this place is pretty great.  Better, actually, than AG (which I frequented for years ;_;).  It's like, gasp, people actually talk about anime rather than starting 8 million vanity/spam threads?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#9 | Back to Top12-12-2006 12:58:46 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

But Anthy and Akio ARE dotheads... literally...........

According to the people at my job, who frequently confuse the racial groups they bash, Akio and Anthy are FILTHY TERRISTS.

...not entirely inaccurate, I suppose, they do a whole lot of terrorizing in the series. But they're not the ones flying vehicles into tall buildings. That's the shadow play girls! ZOINKS. A CONSPIRACY? emot-aaa

#10 | Back to Top12-12-2006 02:03:39 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

HEY HEY HEY HEY [u][HEY!!/u]

I'm a young LESBIAN female! And a quarter Xhosa to boot D: Now where's my fucking diversity award!?

Oh and, I wouldn't really call us a demographically diverse crowd, but as far as interests and stuff I'd say we're a lot more diverse than most of the anime communities I've had the honour of being chased out of. Sure, there are a few freaky phenomena (like how a good half of us have studied Aikido) and things that are damn here expected (the interest in Japanese culture and fencing) but we don't really have the hive-mind thing a lot of other groups have. I've seen a lot less metooism on this board than other places.

I think I kind of have an explanation for that too. Check it. Humans have this shitty habit of grouping together and sharing things with eachother and creating kind of a community interest incest. This is particularly common among teenagers, but the Utena community hasn't really come together in large groups for quite some time, so a lot of us have had time to get our own stupid hobbies. LOLSPECTRUm.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#11 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:27:18 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Eh.

I'm a 19-year-old (almost twenty?) bisexual whitey female, upper-middle-class. How exciting. Odd to be in the majority, for once. American.

My family is from Oklahoma, and when my extended family came out to visit us, I heard the terms "raghead" and "faggot" used in all seriousness for the first time in a long time. It made me realize what a black sheep my branch of the family is. I lived in the Texas Panhandle for eight years (the absolute asshole of the universe, and the belt-buckle of the Biblebelt), which is, ironically enough, when I got into Utena. I saw it for rent at the local anime store (the only one, my lifeline), and thought it looked interesting enough to try. I was twelve. Needless to say my appriciation of the show has heightened with my maturity.

So, I can certainly understand the complaints of anybody who has had to live surrounded by religious fundamentalism and prejudice.

People used to pass out stuff like this. Lolz.

#12 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:39:20 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Blade wrote:

I'm 27, white, straight, and male. This puts me in the minority on the board, something I think is pretty awesome, since it's not a common feeling. emot-biggrin

Add a year to that and you have me.

As for the atmosphere on this board, I'd have to agree... it's practically utopian.  Everyone is accepting of everyone else regardless of who they are and what they do.

If only the real world was as open-minded.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#13 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:51:03 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Am I the youngest person on this forum...? I think that it's at least safe to assume that my age group is the minority. emot-gonk

I'm 15 years old, and very paranoid that some people might think less of my opinion due to my age, what with the way that most 15-year-olds tend to think and act. In a way, I suppose it makes it easier for me to look at things from the character's point of view, though that isn't saying much. Then again, perhaps my opinion really isn't worth listening to and I just don't realize it.

#14 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:52:27 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Well, for what it's worth, I wouldn't have guessed that to be your age, so you're clearly well-spoken. emot-wink

#15 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:59:38 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Razara wrote:

Am I the youngest person on this forum...? I think that it's at least safe to assume that my age group is the minority. emot-gonk

I'm 15 years old, and very paranoid that some people might think less of my opinion due to my age, what with the way that most 15-year-olds tend to think and act. In a way, I suppose it makes it easier for me to look at things from the character's point of view, though that isn't saying much. Then again, perhaps my opinion really isn't worth listening to and I just don't realize it.

Hey, no worries. I remember clear as day being 15 and kicking around the SKU and Escaflowne fandom, and feeling exactly the same way. Fear not.

#16 | Back to Top12-12-2006 04:03:25 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I was starting to feel diverse until I read Blade and Imaginary Bad Bug's posts.

Except I'm 25 and sexuality wise I'm in the "Meh, I'll get around to that" category. emot-smile

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#17 | Back to Top12-12-2006 04:04:31 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Razara wrote:

I'm 15 years old

Hmm, I would've guessed you were a bit older than that, honestly.

Anyway, I'm Caucasian, although it feels weird disclosing that because I always check the 'decline to answer' section on things like standardized tests whenever they ask what racial group I belong to, since I don't think it really matters. And I'm female.

It seems like we have a LOT of people who grew up in the American South, which is kind of funny because I wouldn't think of Utena as being very welcome in the American South. Not to say that I now think it is! You Southerners are just a kick-arse segment of the Southern population emot-biggrin

I myself attend college in the American south, although I'm originally a New Englander. I'm a flaming liberal and proud emot-biggrin

Although, then it gets weird - I'm a future-officer in the military emot-aaa

Last edited by A Day Without Me (12-12-2006 04:05:12 PM)

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#18 | Back to Top12-12-2006 04:12:34 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I seriously doubt anyone here cares about your age, as long as you don't act like most of the 15 year olds we've met. I'm not a big fan of lumping people into groups they don't belong in.

And as for the rest of my..erm, stats. I'm probably the only person here who grew up in South Africa, but oddly enough when I was nine we moved to a suburb of Cincinnati which could be for intents and purposes the American South. As far as my age, I'm 21 and it's kind of refreshing being a couple years younger than a large percentage of the forum because I was starting to feel internet old.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#19 | Back to Top12-12-2006 04:15:09 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

Hey, no worries. I remember clear as day being 15 and kicking around the SKU and Escaflowne fandom, and feeling exactly the same way. Fear not.

That's all well and good, but I remember being 15 and kicking around the SKU fandom...and I'm almost 23. emot-gonk

I seriously forget sometimes how long this series has been with me. I'd say it feels like we're married, but the sex hasn't gone downhill. cool

And Razara...I would never have guessed you're 15.

Edit: Hey yeah why are there so many American Southerners around here?

....are we attracted to the incest and the mullet or what? emot-gonk

....it's out of my system. I'll never make a joke like that again.

Last edited by Giovanna (12-12-2006 04:17:17 PM)

#20 | Back to Top12-12-2006 04:36:56 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

15, eh? I'm just a year older, yet I have a lot less insightful things to say than you do. (: So age doesn't need to present something other than how long you've lived so far. Oh... I could be considered as part of a minority, since I'm from Croatia. I can speak (other than English) Croatian, a tiny bit of Japanese (a very, very slow learner...) and a lot of bad German. Cause German grammar is complicated just to be evil. >:

#21 | Back to Top12-12-2006 05:02:59 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Oops, forgot to mention my language status - native English speaker, I know some extremely basic Mandarin, and I'm enrolled in a Japanese class. I also know a really insignificant amount of Spanish, y'know, stuff along the lines of 'Me gusta patinar'.

And, for the record, I'm 18 - which I still forget sometimes myself. I know I'm legally an adult, but I really don't feel like I am one.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#22 | Back to Top12-12-2006 08:01:03 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Well, I'm just glad your reactions weren't something along the lines of, "That explains a lot." :3

#23 | Back to Top12-12-2006 09:08:09 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

I know I'm legally an adult, but I really don't feel like I am one.

Hey, watching cartoons is still my #1 hobby, and I see it being a part of me for many many years to come.

Let's hear it for Peter Pan Syndrome! emot-dance

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#24 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:28:22 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Oops, forgot to mention my language status - native English speaker, I know some extremely basic Mandarin, and I'm enrolled in a Japanese class.

My gawd Mandarin is gorgeous. I can't really speak anything but I can sing it most of the time. O.o

Yeah, I sort of fall into the basic category. White, female, 21, however I am straight.

I seriously forget sometimes how long this series has been with me. I'd say it feels like we're married, but the sex hasn't gone downhill.

If anything, the sex can only get better! emot-biggrin

#25 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:45:28 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Haha, I'm sort of a minority but not really. White (but the first US citizen to be born in any part of my family), male, lower-middle class, bisexual, fluent only in English but passable in Spanish and nineteen. I'm probably also one of the most socially conservative people on the board, and that's really saying something.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Board footer