This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-01-2008 05:28:00 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Re: Childhood: take a moment to remember the good ol' days!

This is from a group on facebook called "I was a Kiwi Kid!" Obviously it's aimed at New Zealanders, and it made me cry the first time I read it. But with that said, some things are universal. etc-love

You know that you were a Kiwi Kid if you can remember these things...

Hide and seek/spotlight in the park, the corner dairy, hopscotch, four square, go carts, cricket in front of the garbage bin and inviting everyone on your street to join in, skipping (double dutch), gutterball, handstands, elastics, bullrush, catch and kiss, footy on the best lawn in the street, slip'n'slides, the trampoline with water on it (or a sprinkler under it), hula hoops, jumping in puddles with gumboots on, mud pies and building dams in the gutter. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass.

'Big bubbles no troubles' with Hubba Bubba bubble gum. A topsy. Mr Whippy cones on a warm summer night after you've chased him round the block. 20 cents worth of mixed lollies lasted a week and pretending to smoke "cigarettes" (the lollies) was really cool!.. A dollars' worth of chips from the corner take-away fed two people (AND the sauce was free!!).

Being upset when you botched putting on the temporary tattoo from the Bubblegum packet, but still wearing it proudly. Watching Saturday morning cartoons: 'The Smurfs', 'AstroBoy', 'He-man', 'Captain Caveman', 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles', 'Jem' (trulyoutrageous!!), 'Super d'', and 'Heeeey heeeeey heeeeeeey it's faaaaaaat Albert'. Or staying up late and sneaking a look at the "AO" on the second telly, being amazed when you watched TV right up until the 'Goodnight Kiwi!'

When After School with Jason Gunn & Thingie had a cult following and What Now was on Saturday mornings! When around the corner seemed a long way, and going into town seemed like going somewhere. Where running away meant you did laps around the block because you weren't allowed to cross the road?? A million mozzie bites, wasp and bee stings.

Goodies & baddies, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, riding bikes until the streetlights came on and catching tadpoles in horse troughs.

Going down to the school swimming pool when you didn't have a key and your friends letting you in, drawing all over the road and driveway with chalk. Climbing trees and building huts out of every sheet your mum had in the cupboard (and never putting them back folded). Walking around in bare feet, no matter what the weather.

Running till you were out of breath. Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Pitching the tent in the back/front yard (and never being able to find all the pegs). Jumping on the bed. Singing into your hair brush in front of the mirror, making mix tapes...

Sleepovers, pillowfights, spinning round, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for the giggles. The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon. Weetbix cards pegged on the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle. Collecting WWF and garbage pail kids cards.

Eating raw jelly and raro, making homemade lemonade and sucking on a Rad, a traffic light popsicle, or a Paddle Pop!

You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents! It wasn't odd to have two or three "best friends" and you would ask them by sending a note asking them to be your best friend.

You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas eve and tried (and failed) to wait up for the tooth fairy. When nobody owned a pure-bred dog. When 50c was decent pocket money. When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for 10c.

When nearly everyone's mum was there when the kids got home from school. When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at the local Chinese restaurant or Cobb'n'Co with your family. When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed her or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it. When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Remember when decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo" or dib dib's-scissors, paper, rock. "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest. Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in Monopoly.

Terrorism was when the older kids were at the end of your street with pea-shooters waiting to ambush you, or the neighbourhood rottie chased you up a tree!

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was boy/girl germs, and the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one. Where bluelight disco's were the equivalent to a Rave, and asking a boy out meant writing a 'polite' note getting them to tick 'yes' or 'no'.

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot. Your biggest danger at school was accidentally getting caught up in a game of bullrush.

Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better. Taking drugs meant Scoffing orange-flavoured chewable vitamin C's, or swallowing half a Panadol. Ice cream was considered a basic food group. Going to the beach and catching a wave was a dream come true. Boogie boarding in the white wash made you the next Kelly Slater. Abilities were discovered because of a "double- dare".

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#27 | Back to Top12-02-2008 10:52:36 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

OMG I love the 90s. Remember scrunchies? That was bad.

Bill Nye the science guy is now on the Science channel.

Does anyone remember "Are you afraid of the dark?" and "Camp Salute Your Shorts"

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#28 | Back to Top12-02-2008 04:40:37 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Riri-kins wrote:

Any nineties kids remember the old Nick game shows like the original Double Dare or What Would You Do? My personal favorite was Legends of the Hidden Temple. Olmec ruled. emot-dance

I remember all of those! Dude, Marc Summers before he started working for Food Network FTW!

Nickelodeon before Nicktoons is the definition of my childhood: You Can't Do That on Television, Special Delivery(that was pretty much my Saturday afternoons), Pinwheel, Eureeka's Castle, MapleTown (not to be confused with MapleStory.), Noozles, Today's Special.

And I remember when USA showed cartoons, especially Jem amd the Holograms. I had a Jem and a Stormer doll. They were much bigger than Barbie. Then there was She-Ra: Princess of Power. I still have the action figures in storag: She-Ra, Cassiopeia, Glimmer, Catra.

Ooooh, and both of them are available on DVD.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#29 | Back to Top12-02-2008 04:47:01 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

heres a doozy

Did anyone watch Princess Tenko and the guardians of magic?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#30 | Back to Top12-02-2008 05:17:42 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

I miss my Pog collection. D:

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#31 | Back to Top12-02-2008 09:45:31 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Baka Kakumei Reanna wrote:

I miss my Pog collection. D:

I know what you mean. I had a bunch of Pogs that apparently got lost when I moved from San Diego to Yuma. They were such pretty ones too, and some of them were handmade by Lady Lortab!

*sniffs, GIR voice* "I miss you, Pogs..."

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#32 | Back to Top12-02-2008 10:14:15 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Okay. Eureka's. Motherfuckin.' Castle. Also, Skinnamarink. Anybody remember that one? I remember almost nothing about the show itself, except the theme song, the elephants dancing on a spiderweb, and that there was a guy with a pedobeard.

Skinnamarinky dinky dink, skinnamarinky doo! I! Love! You!

Annnnnd Clarissa Explains it All. She was my freaking hero when I was a kid. I wanted to be her so badly. Now I look back and think "man, not with those clothes." I always thought she was so much older then me when i was a kid, but now I look back, and I'm like... dude. She's...what. 12? Crazy.

All That. The original cast, before they added all those dumbasses. Lori Beth Denburg kicked major buttcheeks. Also, The Adventures of Pete and Pete. What I would give to have that whole series on dvd -instead of just half. emot-mad Thanks Nick. emot-tongue God, my childhood was full of so much awesome.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#33 | Back to Top12-02-2008 10:15:51 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I remember things from the last century like the Biker Mice from Mars, that mobile phones were only just phones, $40 anime VHS tapes with only 1 or 2 episodes (ugh), SNES consoles and when the internet was super slow.

#34 | Back to Top12-02-2008 10:30:42 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Though I have since lost most, if not all, of the knowledge I once had about it, in first grade I knew how to troubleshoot the OS side of an Apple IIe. (Anybody remember those? Only ran if you stuck a 5.25" floppy disk in the drive and booted the system.) Only if I couldn't fix the computer (or have determined it to be most likely a hardware problem) would the teacher call the repairman.

In junior high I would routinely delete COMMAND.COM from my English teacher's MS-DOS 6.20 computer. He was damn lucky my computer was a MS-DOS 6.20 as well. Pssh. The poor piece of shit only had four megs of RAM and a twenty megabyte hard drive.

Good times... emot-dance

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#35 | Back to Top12-02-2008 11:47:45 PM

moroschino
Black Rosarian
Website

lex wrote:

Does anyone remember "Are you afraid of the dark?" and "Camp Salute Your Shorts"

Yes to both! The former made me afraid of the dark and the latter made me terrified of being sent to summer camp. Didn't keep me from watching and enjoying both of them. emot-smile I remember really liking an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? about a girl and some mysterious eyeshadow compact. The rest of the details are gone, but I always think of the shot of that compact when someone mentions the show!

It's crazy how these things can take you back.

MissMocha wrote:

Okay. Eureka's. Motherfuckin.' Castle

Oh yes. Oh hell yes. Cooey!!! The Slurms.

This is more eighties than nineties, but do you all remember seeing the little antennae-d things on Rainbow Brite make the little color stars? When I finally got a pair of jelly shoes (which of course had stars on the soles!), I'd dip my feet in water when my dad was washing his car, and make little star steps all over the driveway and our sidewalk. Aaaaaah, the good ol' days. emot-smile

Funny how the smallest lie
might live a million times.

I Will Steal You Back, Jimmy Eat World

#36 | Back to Top12-03-2008 03:59:20 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Though I have since lost most, if not all, of the knowledge I once had about it, in first grade I knew how to troubleshoot the OS side of an Apple IIe. (Anybody remember those? Only ran if you stuck a 5.25" floppy disk in the drive and booted the system.) Only if I couldn't fix the computer (or have determined it to be most likely a hardware problem) would the teacher call the repairman.

In junior high I would routinely delete COMMAND.COM from my English teacher's MS-DOS 6.20 computer. He was damn lucky my computer was a MS-DOS 6.20 as well. Pssh. The poor piece of shit only had four megs of RAM and a twenty megabyte hard drive.

Good times... emot-dance

It terrifies me, that I likely knew more about computer programming in 1991 than I do now. Just because you basically had to programme the damn thing every time you used it. And I was about...nine. Er. emot-rofl Oh, Windows 3.0, wtf...

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#37 | Back to Top12-03-2008 08:45:31 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Riri-kins wrote:

Any nineties kids remember the old Nick game shows like the original Double Dare or What Would You Do? My personal favorite was Legends of the Hidden Temple. Olmec ruled. emot-dance

I remember all of those! Dude, Marc Summers before he started working for Food Network FTW!

Marc Summers worked for the Food Network? emot-aaa God, that's almost as weird as when Mike O'Malley got his own sitcom. He was much better as the host of GUTS.

MissMocha wrote:

Annnnnd Clarissa Explains it All. She was my freaking hero when I was a kid. I wanted to be her so badly. Now I look back and think "man, not with those clothes."

OH GAWD YES! She was my idol too. I'm still a Melissa Joan Hart fan. emot-biggrin

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#38 | Back to Top12-03-2008 03:08:07 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Is it bad I hate absolutely everything to do with the pop culture from my childhood? Even the stuff I liked back then. emot-frown

My big childhood thing: Making skirts out of palm fronds and bow and arrows with bamboo shoots. I did this well into middle school.

Oh yeah. Sonic. And that superancient 'game' where you were a tank in a 3D space made of boxes on a black background. Also the tennis game along the same graphical lines. And Oregon Trail.

...I seem to remember my childhood as a series of games I played alone in my room. emot-keke (That's not whining, I was so not a people person as a kid.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#39 | Back to Top12-03-2008 05:19:10 PM

lex

Oregon Trail, what a better way to get back at classmates that you were not fond of.

Remember the gigantic flimsy floppy disks back then? And that horrible game for Windows 95 where you're skiing and it doesn't matter if you get away from the monster, he eats you anyway!

#40 | Back to Top12-03-2008 08:19:05 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

SkiFree was a real trip. I still have a copy. emot-dance And you can evade the Yeti for about three or four seconds, tops, if you ski at about a east-and-southeast angle.

Anybody remember Chip's Challenge? For those of you who remember, did you ever legitimately clear the level "TOTALLY UNFAIR"? For that matter, was "FIREFLIES" the last level you completed...?

#41 | Back to Top12-04-2008 12:09:40 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

- The line "Wonder twins power activate!" is stuck in my head.
- I know the beat to "Archie's here... la la la la".
- BIG BIRD & SNUFFLEAPAGOUS (sp?). Go figure.
- Jr. Caveman versus Dinosaur (Tomy Micro Computer Game a.k.a. vintage handheld game console).
- I have a large collection of new wave classics/80's Eurobeat.
- I know MC Hammer's trademark dance with matching square pants.
- I have NES, Super Famicom and Sega Megadrive.
- Aa... Betamax days.
- Aa... Walkman days.
- ABBA. etc-love etc-love etc-love
- Monkey bars and punching fellow kindergarten kids who liked to hog them.
- Voltes V and Toushou Daimos.
- GAMERA and GODZILLA.
- Star Rangers (the original sentai heroes). 
- "I'm the Master of the Univeeeeeerse!"
- Drawing contests (robots and Battlecat™); kindergarten me vs. kindergarten boys.
- Cutting classes was cool.
- Declamation and Spelling Bee contests in grade school.
- JUKEBOX & BOOMBOX. Beat that.
- I have a scrapbook filled with Duran Duran images.
- You know the song Rico Mambo like you know the Macarena dance.
- MENUDO. Lol.
- You know the theme to Hawaii Five-O.
- Knots Landing and Santa Barbara. I don't like soap operas.
- Charlie's Angels (the original); Jaclyn Smith & Cheryl Ladd: One of my best friends got her name from Jaclyn I got mine from Cheryl.   

I'll add more when I'm not laughing as I type this.
Ah, good ol' days. This thread is a winner. etc-love

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#42 | Back to Top12-04-2008 01:26:46 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

- etc-love<3ANIMORPHS<3etc-love WERE SO SHIT FUCKING CRAP AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Batman: The Animated Series. etc-love
- The fifth grade Pokemon craze. As much as I look back on it and sigh now, it was like being part of the Barack Obama hoard for when I was young. Everyone collected and everyone could relate.
- D.A.R.E not to do drugs taught us that marijuana will make you end up EXACTLY like "Reefer Madness" characters.
- Bill Nye the Science Motherfuckin' Guy.
- Summer Disney premieres.
- The Spice Girls and coordinated dance routines at recess.
- Third grade sex education.
- Go-Gurt.
- Massive love for Oregon Trail. I loved that game so much that I bought the modern version, which I still play to this day.
- Gameboy.
- Mr. Rogers. Kind and gentle, but the man had balls of iron. He managed to get the Nixon administration to approve funding for PBS and stood up to one of the harshest senators to defend public services to children (and actually succeeded). Most people don't know it, but Mr. Rogers was a real life Mr. Smith who went to Washington and won.

Check this out. It's incredible, and one of the only times I've been truly inspired by politics: Mr. Rogers rips the Senate a new one...nicely.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#43 | Back to Top12-04-2008 11:47:42 AM

lex

BioKraze wrote:

SkiFree was a real trip. I still have a copy. emot-dance And you can evade the Yeti for about three or four seconds, tops, if you ski at about a east-and-southeast angle.

Anybody remember Chip's Challenge? For those of you who remember, did you ever legitimately clear the level "TOTALLY UNFAIR"? For that matter, was "FIREFLIES" the last level you completed...?

I need to get a copy of SkiFree, so I can try this. I hated that monster so much.

Goosebumps.
The whole series and that show.

#44 | Back to Top12-04-2008 11:56:50 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

Third grade sex education.

Ahahaha! That cracked me up. poptart I was one of those third graders who actually had to say "Teacher, may I go out?" because I felt like puking after watching the mini film about how babies were made. *laughs*

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#45 | Back to Top12-04-2008 07:27:19 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

ANIMORPHS!!! JelliKat, I knew there was a reason why I etc-love you.

Rachel lives on forever in my heart. 

Starting to learn how to type when I was 9.
First going on the internet
Spice girls routines at recess
OMG.  Oregon Trail was my etc-love
That and that weird spider natural selection game, where you had to make the strongest most resistant bug....
POGS.  Loved/hated those things.
Beanie Babies
VHS tapes of Xena.
When anime was uncommon.
Olmac's hidden temple.
Doug
Eureka's Castle.  I tried so hard to like peanut-butter sandwiches after watching it.  It never worked.
Bernstein Bears
etc-love Snuffaluphagus

Last edited by Iris (12-04-2008 07:28:47 PM)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#46 | Back to Top12-05-2008 12:11:47 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Reading through this was a nostalgia trip for me... but nobody has mentioned Alex Mack yet, so I have to. She was my first crush, I think. emot-gonk

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#47 | Back to Top12-05-2008 10:53:33 AM

lex

^ that show was so friggin' cool. I wanted to be Alex Mack, even with her penchant for backwards caps. etc-love

#48 | Back to Top12-23-2008 09:21:11 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Guess what's coming to DVD?

I was freaking addicted to that movie when I was four.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#49 | Back to Top12-23-2008 10:52:18 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Tamago wrote:

I remember the old days on the internet when the men were men and the women were also men. emot-tongue
In the old days, real lesbians had to deal with all the guys and fake girls who invade the lesbian chatrooms, nowdays they just pose as guys and hang out in yaoi chatrooms where most actual guys wouldn't dare tread.

There are no girls on the interwebz! emot-aaa How dare you sir. Lol at the yaoi chatrooms, although a lot of it seems to be trolls trolling trolls.   
Also: the internet pre-4chan and organised trolling. Gotta love it.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#50 | Back to Top12-27-2008 03:12:06 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I remember when you wanted certain songs and you didn't want to pay for a CD yourself, you get your double cassette recorder, get some blank tapes and borrow your friend's CD or cassette and copied it that way.

I remember when the main appeal of watching anime when it first came out was that the anime movies were full of blood, guts, swear words sex, violence and tentacles because uptil then the only animation you have seen was Disney or Saturday Morning cartoons.

And you didn't used to care if they storyline was faithful to the Japanese original or not either.

When I was young, if a boy who watched any show (anime or otherwise) with a teenage girl as the protagonist was treated as a sissy boy. (Thank God I was still a girl back then)

To be fair, when I resaw most of those 'girly' shows in reruns, they did seem rather lame compaired to 'girly' shows these days.

Board footer