This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-28-2006 02:14:21 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

New Photos of SKU...

Un-huh, so the first few that I could actually host on photobucket are little chibi card versions of the cast of SKU, which came out of a doujinshi.  Well most doujinshi would belong in the naughty forum, but these little drawings are cute and can be enjoyed by everyone...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibitouga.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibinanami.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibimiki.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibisai.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibijuri.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibichu.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibianthy.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibiutena.gif

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#2 | Back to Top11-28-2006 02:23:29 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: New Photos of SKU...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibijuri.gif

She looks kinda evil this way. school-devil

#3 | Back to Top11-28-2006 02:28:52 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Dude. I love Magic: The Gathering. Any idea what the text on all those cards says?

Juri should definitely have First Strike, if not Double Strike, and Saionji should probably have Haste...

Wow I'm a geek.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#4 | Back to Top11-28-2006 02:52:16 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

No idea what the text says either. Judging by the numbers on the cards, it looks like their should be more... Hope so! What if there is a Utena card game? Probably is, seeing as they had a tarot deck. Must... catch.... them... all. Oh, sorry!

Here's another viewer friendly pic. Looks the girls did meet up post-series after all. Yay! emot-smile

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/postseries.gif

Also, note the disturbing Chuchu...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/postseries1.gif

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

#5 | Back to Top11-28-2006 02:55:46 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

TRANSLATION NOW.

Also holy shit. I've done that. The inverted castle was an artifact and Akio was a blue creature and you could tap him to...well...tap him. I can't find the scans now though. emot-frown

Also Touga is so so so not a black creature. Mikage's a black creature. Touga's blue.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top11-28-2006 03:16:59 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Giovanna wrote:

TRANSLATION NOW.

Also holy shit. I've done that. The inverted castle was an artifact and Akio was a blue creature and you could tap him to...well...tap him. I can't find the scans now though. :(

Also Touga is so so so not a black creature. Mikage's a black creature. Touga's blue.

You're right, Touga should be blue. Or possibly red, but black just doesn't work for him. I also think that Nanami should be white.

Akio would be great as a multicolor blue/black actually (because yes, black CAN be sexy! See my black clerics!) and his tower should totally be a legendary land. Or possibly an artifact. But it would most definitely be legendary.

I don't know what all the new things are though... they keep changing the names of cards and how they work...

#7 | Back to Top11-28-2006 10:15:35 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Saionji should probably have Haste...

Look, can we please stop talking about sex for just a minute???? emot-mad

ShatteredMirror wrote:

You're right, Touga should be blue. Or possibly red, but black just doesn't work for him. I also think that Nanami should be white.

Nah, red doesn't fit him at all, he's too manipulative. Juri or Saionji could be red, instant damage LOLLER NUKES. Except Saionji actually fits his color because he'd be one of those gigantic 100/100 creatures that look sooo intimidating but die over the stupidest minor cards in a person's deck. Miki, Nanami, and Utena are white.

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Akio would be great as a multicolor blue/black actually (because yes, black CAN be sexy! See my black clerics!) and his tower should totally be a legendary land. Or possibly an artifact. But it would most definitely be legendary.

Oh hay, you're right. I was never a fan of the multicolors (was what killed my interest aside from money, the new decks when I stopped were full of that), but a blue/black Akio would look very good in a control/drainage deck. Also there were a few hot black cards. Krovikan Vampire much? His tower would definitely be a legendary land. Tap for any color mana of your choice. cool The projector would be an artifact. Tap to seduce target opponent and thus win the game by distraction. Also OPERA GLASSES OF URZA (AKIO) cool cool cool

Wow I just geeked all over myself. Keep the piccies coming!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#8 | Back to Top11-28-2006 12:27:50 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

These are so adorable. AND OMG AN UTENA/ANTHY PICTURE I DIDN'T HAVE. O_O -stares- etc-love

#9 | Back to Top11-28-2006 12:37:10 PM

Sskessa
New Student
Website

The Miki one cracks me up emot-tongue

#10 | Back to Top11-28-2006 01:42:19 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Juri or Saionji could be red, instant damage LOLLER NUKES. Except Saionji actually fits his color because he'd be one of those gigantic 100/100 creatures that look sooo intimidating but die over the stupidest minor cards in a person's deck.

Huge creatures that end up being useless is more of a blue characteristic than green, though. Leviathan, Polar Kraken and those sort look great and powerful until they eat up all your land and have to be sacrificed for the greater good. Personality wise I think red fits Saionji the best, direct and full of rage.

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Anthy ought to be a multicolour as well, only a blue/green from her animal fetish. (I wonder what she was supposed to do as an artifact, anyway.)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#11 | Back to Top11-28-2006 11:16:10 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Ragnarok wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Juri or Saionji could be red, instant damage LOLLER NUKES. Except Saionji actually fits his color because he'd be one of those gigantic 100/100 creatures that look sooo intimidating but die over the stupidest minor cards in a person's deck.

Huge creatures that end up being useless is more of a blue characteristic than green, though. Leviathan, Polar Kraken and those sort look great and powerful until they eat up all your land and have to be sacrificed for the greater good. Personality wise I think red fits Saionji the best, direct and full of rage.

I think they made him green because he's a combat monster (and his hair) but you're right he'd do well as red. Especially since I still think he should have Haste and something like 70% of the creatures with Haste are red. But you're right about the huge blue creatures, they don't really serve any purpose. Especially since they don't have Trample...

Ragnarok wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Anthy ought to be a multicolour as well, only a blue/green from her animal fetish. (I wonder what she was supposed to do as an artifact, anyway.)

Anthy as an artifact makes no sense. I don't know why that didn't register in my brain before.

#12 | Back to Top11-29-2006 07:15:35 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Anthy as an artifact makes no sense. I don't know why that didn't register in my brain before.

Anthy's a pincushion, and a pincushion could be an artifact.

#13 | Back to Top11-29-2006 10:20:15 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

The text under most of them I believe has to do with the gameplay - for example, Touga's has the two little skulls and says "target creature-1/-1". Since I have no idea how the game's played, I don't quite understand the rules, but there you go XD I did translate the text that wasn't game stats - most of them are quotes, except for Juri.

Peeping Touga: "Baby, you've lit the fire to my heart"
Big-forehead Nanami: "I won't let you take my brother"
Rabu-rabu Miki: "Um...I thought...I just...I thought..."
Dumb Saionji: "Our feelings for each other are running counter to fate. Even though we must hide our love now...don't turn your eyes away! Look at me, the truth is chronicled here."
Unfulfilled Juri (the title of ep 7): "Juri doesn't believe in miracles. However, she might be the one who actually wants a miracle to happen."
Chuchu the Pet: "Chuchu chuu chuu chu"
The Rose Bride
Duellist Utena (stats)

#14 | Back to Top11-29-2006 10:46:15 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ger wrote:

Touga's has the two little skulls and says "target creature-1/-1".

For 2B2C? Dude, Touga sucks. emot-frown

#15 | Back to Top11-29-2006 05:59:25 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

With the trade-off of not having that swank rose signet symbol, you can make your own SKU-MTG cards with this: http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~oosting/m … /index.php

For example:

http://www.geocities.com/ragnarok_iii/magic_touga.txt

Please don't let the image quality bother you, I didn't take the time to crop it to properly fit the card.

(It's been so long since I've played MTG that not only does "Creature -" instead of "Summon" bother me, so does the tap symbol.)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#16 | Back to Top11-29-2006 06:11:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

If I make a joke about putting Touga in a plastic, are we going to think condoms or liquid latex or saran wrap or what?

I'd totally play that card. And oh god I'm going to make trouble with that link at work tomorrow. Muahaha.

Oh yeah, and if we're going to start up with MTG cards, new thread, please! emot-smile

#17 | Back to Top11-29-2006 07:19:56 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Actually, I think these colors are generally very well chosen.

Touga in black is spot-on.  At the center of his character is lust for power at any cost -- pretty much the definition of black.  Some of the characters' colors are questionable, but Touga's is not.  That's not to say there isn't a smidge of white (he enjoys wielding authority and chivalry as weapons), blue (he also likes manipulating people), or red (LUST), but core Touga is core black.

Miki in blue is pretty good; it's where I'd put him if he had to be monocolor.  He lives inside himself a little too much to be monowhite, and his moral center is a little too fuzzy.  I would call him white/blue, but then, I like gold cards.

Juri in red is very insightful.  I'm not sure whether I would choose red or red/blue.  A cogent argument can be made that Juri's introversion, which superficially pushes her towards blue, is a kind of "red introversion" that we don't see much in Magic.  On the other hand, she overthinks most things, not a red trait.  On balance, I like the choice of monored.

Anthy as an artifact creature is, of course, silly.  The Rose Bride as an artifact creature, on the other hand, is appropriate.  The Bride qua the Bride is a shell, a trophy, without a personality to assign a color to.  Creative and a good call.

I really have only two gripes: Saionji should be green/red, and whatever Nanami may be, she is not monogreen.  Green is occasionally a selfish color, but it is not a petty color, and it is certainly not a scheming color.  It is probably the worst choice for Nanami, except perhaps for white.  White is bad, too; Nanami has little in the way of a moral center, she plays her cards close to her chest, and she treats her in-group with contempt.  She schemes like blue, but without the long-term planning, and she is much too interested in the world around her.  That leaves red and black.  She's too dishonest for monored and too spontaneous for monoblack, so I would call her red/black.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-29-2006 07:35:33 PM)

#18 | Back to Top11-29-2006 09:36:47 PM

Calliston
High Tripper

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

All I know is that we should make our own deck of SKU playing cards like that. Because it'd be fun.

#19 | Back to Top11-30-2006 12:39:05 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

satyreyes wrote:

Actually, I think these colors are generally very well chosen.

Touga in black is spot-on.  At the center of his character is lust for power at any cost -- pretty much the definition of black.  Some of the characters' colors are questionable, but Touga's is not.  That's not to say there isn't a smidge of white (he enjoys wielding authority and chivalry as weapons), blue (he also likes manipulating people), or red (LUST), but core Touga is core black.

Miki in blue is pretty good; it's where I'd put him if he had to be monocolor.  He lives inside himself a little too much to be monowhite, and his moral center is a little too fuzzy.  I would call him white/blue, but then, I like gold cards.

Juri in red is very insightful.  I'm not sure whether I would choose red or red/blue.  A cogent argument can be made that Juri's introversion, which superficially pushes her towards blue, is a kind of "red introversion" that we don't see much in Magic.  On the other hand, she overthinks most things, not a red trait.  On balance, I like the choice of monored.

Anthy as an artifact creature is, of course, silly.  The Rose Bride as an artifact creature, on the other hand, is appropriate.  The Bride qua the Bride is a shell, a trophy, without a personality to assign a color to.  Creative and a good call.

I really have only two gripes: Saionji should be green/red, and whatever Nanami may be, she is not monogreen.  Green is occasionally a selfish color, but it is not a petty color, and it is certainly not a scheming color.  It is probably the worst choice for Nanami, except perhaps for white.  White is bad, too; Nanami has little in the way of a moral center, she plays her cards close to her chest, and she treats her in-group with contempt.  She schemes like blue, but without the long-term planning, and she is much too interested in the world around her.  That leaves red and black.  She's too dishonest for monored and too spontaneous for monoblack, so I would call her red/black.

You do make a good argument for Touga being a black card and an interesting point about the difference between Anthy and the Rose Bride as cards.

Most of the characters have too much depth to be consolidated into a single color, or even two. I don't know if three-color cards work at all, but some of these characters might need a third color, and you could probably see hints of all five in each of them, though none of them are a Sliver Queen.

#20 | Back to Top11-30-2006 01:18:43 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Most of the characters have too much depth to be consolidated into a single color, or even two. I don't know if three-color cards work at all, but some of these characters might need a third color, and you could probably see hints of all five in each of them, though none of them are a Sliver Queen.

Well-written fictional characters, like real human beings, tend to be like that emot-smile  But I think some colors are stronger than others in pretty much everyone.  There is just not a whole lot of black in Utena, nor a lot of red in Akio.  At some point you have to say "enough is enough" and make them the color that is strongest in them.  If there's a near-tie, make them more than one color.  Or do something creative like make Juri a red card with a blue activation cost.

Three-color and even four-color cards can work, but you have to ask yourself whether you're maybe setting the cutoff too low if you're thinking about making Saionji white/black/red/green emot-smile  The best candidate for a tricolor card in Utena, I think, is Anthy.  The three best colors for Anthy are left as an exercise for the reader.  (Read: I'm still thinking about it emot-wink)

#21 | Back to Top11-30-2006 02:47:18 AM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Yay for playing MTG during the early years of highschool!

Peeping Touga   3BBB
Summon Duellist
4/4
2BB, T: Place a -1/-1 counter on target creature
"Baby, you've lit a fire in my heart"

Big-forehead Nanami   2GG
Summon Duellist
1/1
2, T: Put a 0/1 Snail token into play
3, T: Put a 1/1 Garter Python token into play
4, T: Put a 1/2 Octopus token into play
These tokens count as artifact creatures
"You're in the wrong! You'll take away my big brother!"

Love-love Miki   3UU
Summon Duellist
2/3
4UU, T: Return target permanent to its owner's hand
"Um...I thought...I just...I thought..."

Dumb Pervert Saionji   3GG
Summon Duellist
4/4
"Our feelings for each other are running counter to fate. Even though we must hide our love now...don't turn your eyes away! Look at me, the truth is chronicled here."

Unfulfilled Juri   2RRR
Summon Duellist
4/4
Trample
"Juri doesn't believe in miracles. However, she might be the one who actually wants a miracle to happen."

Chuchu the Pet   1W
Summon Chuchu
0/1
Chuchu the Pet cannot be blocked by creatures with a power greater than 3
"Chuchu chuu chuu chu"

The Rose Bride   3
Artifact
(Er, is it cut off for anyone else? All I get is the first third or so)

Duellist Utena   1WW
Summon Duellist
1/2
If a creature that Duellist Utena has dealt damage to this turn is put into the graveyard, put a +1/+0 counter on Duellist Utena. These counters are Amitie, Choix, Raison, Amour, Adoration, Conviction and Soi. There can never be more than seven of these counters on Duellist Utena.

------- DONE!

While I have my doubts about quite a few of the colour choices, it's a pretty good sort of balance all up...maybe someone should create a new system of Rose-colours for the cards? emot-wink

#22 | Back to Top11-30-2006 06:17:28 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Almaser wrote:

Dumb Pervert Saionji

emot-mad I do believe well over half the cast deserves 'Dumb Pervert' more than Saionji does.

#23 | Back to Top11-30-2006 07:19:59 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Almaser wrote:

The Rose Bride   3
Artifact
(Er, is it cut off for anyone else? All I get is the first third or so)

Ooops, sorry! Here's the entire thing.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibianthy-1.gif

And another card, the only other one shown in this book...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/frostybaby13/chibisword.gif

#24 | Back to Top11-30-2006 09:34:11 AM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

I really, really want that Nanami card...I could just bust it out when I break into maniacal laughing ahahahahaha!

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#25 | Back to Top11-30-2006 11:38:25 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Almaser wrote:

While I have my doubts about quite a few of the colour choices, it's a pretty good sort of balance all up...maybe someone should create a new system of Rose-colours for the cards? emot-wink

"Balance?"  Are you kidding?  These cards suck emot-biggrin  Utena and Nanami are okay.  Saionji and Juri are overcosted, but not by that much.  Touga and Miki have costs so high as to be unplayable.  And Chuchu is just bizarre; his ability is near-useless unless you've enchanted him, so why shouldn't I just cast Arctic Foxes, which has the same casting cost, is 1/1, and can't be blocked by creatures with power greater than 2 (not 3)?

Similarly, Wizards already made Miki.  His name was Temporal Adept, his casting cost was 1UU (not 3UU), and his activation cost was UUU (not 4UU).  Granted, he was 1/1, but still.

Saionji is a classic card, Durkwood Boars, which costs 4G, slightly less than 3GG.

All effects are appropriate to their colors, though.

Thank you very much for translating this emot-smile  Gods, I wish I knew Japanese better.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-30-2006 11:50:39 AM)

Board footer