This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#176 | Back to Top04-27-2010 08:06:05 PM

minervana
High Tripper

Re: Politics

Stormcrow wrote:

I have one particular problem with the law. In a free society, police are NOT entitled to demand identification from citizens who are not engaged in anything suspicious...Our legal system is based on the presumption of innocence, and this law destroys that. To me, this is outrageous, and if it remains in place, it is the end of our free society. Requiring citizens to carry papers identifying themselves to move around is something that happens in police states.

Here's the problem: define suspicious.

A family friend worked as a police officer for over a decade. He said that after a while, you get an instinct about people. It's not right 100% of the time but if you ignore it you're doing everyone a disservice. It gets to the point where you can be in a crowded terminal, look across the room and spot a psychopath, even if s/he's just standing there. Should you just ignore that instinct if that psychopath is a minority? What if s/he might have an outstanding warrant and a history of violence?

I would ask if you think the police can stop someone if they look like (say) a suspected serial killer and ask them to produce identification. If you think that's okay, what's the difference between doing that, and asking someone to produce identification to prove they're legally in the US?

This issue is a bit like racial profiling. Without racial profiling, crime goes up, because (for whatever reason(s)) different ethnic groups commit crimes at different rates. So the police are in a bind: if they profile, they'll pick up false positives, and might run afoul of the NAACP or other local groups. If they don't, preventable crimes aren't prevented, meaning innocent people suffer, and there will be pressure (behind the hand and under the radar) to perform "random checks," i.e. racially profile while pretending you aren't, or waste time and money by stopping white/hispanic/asian people when the suspect is (let's say) Indonesian.

Similarly, if nobody does anything about illegal immigration, a lot of problems, including some very serious ones (think sex slavery), will blossom and grow. But you can't enforce immigration law without someone accusing you of racial profiling, since most illegal immigrants aren't white or european.

I would support a law that says if the police detain someone over for, say, driving erratically, or on suspicion of some crime, they automatically check their immigration status, and if they come up as illegal, you turn them over to ICE. That way, you aren't harassing people who are minding their own business, but you also take care of the problem. It's not perfect but I doubt there's such a thing as a perfect law.

In France and Germany, you're supposed to carry ID with you at all times, and produce it any time the police ask. Of course not everybody does this but you can get in big trouble (especially in Germany) if you don't do it. I know at my university, there's a policy that if you're on campus, the police can ask you for your ID at any time for any reason, and if you don't comply you have to leave campus (or possibly get arrested).

As for the right to peaceably immigrate, I'm afraid I have to disagree. If there were 10 million people in the entire world, it might not be a big deal. But more people in an area means more competition for jobs, housing, schooling, emergency medical care and other resources. Not to mention that there's no guarantee that an unskilled laborer, who speaks a different language, will somehow magically leave behind his/her old culture's problems when s/he comes to the new country.

#177 | Back to Top04-27-2010 08:34:26 PM

minervana
High Tripper

Also, just to answer this question...

Asfalolh wrote:

minervana wrote:

I find it improbable that a majority of Germans will become neo-nazis , whereas the threat of a terrorist attack or a religious war is very real indeed.

Do you think that the possibility of a terrorist attack or a religious war is actually related to the influx of Muslim immigrants? Really? Please tell me how so. By this token, Vic's criminality indexes should be sky-rocketing, but they are not.

Remember that the 9/11 attackers were engineers and architects. One of them studied at the London School of Economics. There are so many Quranic verses which justify murder, rape, spousal abuse, genocide, race murder, not to mention imperial conquest. In Islamic countries, there's no distinction between church and state, although different states are more and less draconian in their regulations. Not to mention quotes from Muslim preachers like "Harming Allah and his messenger is a reason to encourage Muslims to kill whoever does that." Islam has never undergone a reform the way Christianity has, and there's no reason to anticipate it will in the future. I'd encourage you to read Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, to understand what I'm talking about.

There have already been violent incidents in Europe. Think of Theo van Gogh, for example. He was shot and gutted in the street for, basically, airing a film which was slightly critical of Islam. Or the Danish cartoon affair. Of course there have been violent incidents by Nazis against Muslims, or Romani, or other minorities, but in many cultures they don't have public support.

I'm not saying Neo-Naziism is harmless. Quite the contrary. But there are more Muslims in Europe than Neo-Nazis, and they have the added support of their home countries and their religious leaders, which most nazis do not have.

#178 | Back to Top04-28-2010 10:24:36 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

On behalf of my Muslim friends I have to say that your attitude is a little offensive Minervana. I would hasten to remind you that in the last hundred years, right wing extremists in Europe successfully conquered the continent and MURDERED ELEVEN MILLION PEOPLE. You seem to have ignored my post about them being supported by as much as 20% of the electorate in some countries. I would remind you that Hitler came to power on a razor thin majority, it doesn't take as much as you might think. Further, the Muslims you're afraid of constitute the right wing extremists of their societies. If you read their statements, the only difference is that neo-Nazis don't use god to justify their atrocities, they use abstracts like racial purity instead.

Your argument can be reduced down to an admission that our humanism and enlightenment are inherently weaker than the tribalism (yes, tribalism. It doesn't really have anything to do with religion) that you fear and the only way to protect ourselves from those who don't respect humanity is to become like them. I prefer to believe in the notion of liberty instead, and I do have confidence that it is a stronger idea that will triumph over tribalism, but not if we give up on it.

And before you go using verses from the Q'uran to justify hatred of Muslims, I suggest you actually read the Old Testament. You might be a little surprised by what you find there. Are you going to start hating Jews now because our holy book promises death to those who offend our god and all of their families too? And don't tell me that Jews aren't that way anymore, I have relatives that will mutter about such things when I tell them they're oppressing the Palestinians. Same as Muslims, there are crazy ones and there are sane ones. They're just people.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#179 | Back to Top04-28-2010 09:16:30 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Stormcrow wrote:

And before you go using verses from the Q'uran to justify hatred of Muslims, I suggest you actually read the Old Testament. You might be a little surprised by what you find there. Are you going to start hating Jews now because our holy book promises death to those who offend our god and all of their families too? And don't tell me that Jews aren't that way anymore, I have relatives that will mutter about such things when I tell them they're oppressing the Palestinians. Same as Muslims, there are crazy ones and there are sane ones. They're just people.

Beautifully said, Jacob.

And I would like to add:

minervana wrote:

Here's the problem: define suspicious.

A family friend worked as a police officer for over a decade. He said that after a while, you get an instinct about people. It's not right 100% of the time but if you ignore it you're doing everyone a disservice. It gets to the point where you can be in a crowded terminal, look across the room and spot a psychopath, even if s/he's just standing there. Should you just ignore that instinct if that psychopath is a minority? What if s/he might have an outstanding warrant and a history of violence?

I would ask if you think the police can stop someone if they look like (say) a suspected serial killer and ask them to produce identification. If you think that's okay, what's the difference between doing that, and asking someone to produce identification to prove they're legally in the US?

And you can judge whether or not a person is a serial killer based solely on looks?  Can decipher whether or not they have an outstanding warrant?  Really?  last time I checked, serial killers were pretty damned well known for looking like normal human beings.  No horns or anything like that.  Unless he's cradling a weapon or fits the physical profile of a criminal they're on the lookout for, an officer has no right to apprehend someone because they look fishy.  It's due process.

Prosecutors, officers, etc claim to have hunches a lot, but its a natural extension of their discretion, which can be biased when you consider that they only work with a fairly small segment of the population, criminals or accused persons.  On one hand, this does give them invaluable experience, but it also makes them more likely to be suspicious and paranoid of people in general.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (04-28-2010 09:18:59 PM)

#180 | Back to Top04-28-2010 09:47:32 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Fuck my state. Fuck it. Fuck this shit.

Just legalize marijuana already. That would help stop a lot of the drug violence on the border. We have stupid misconceptions and hang-ups as a society about this.

#181 | Back to Top04-29-2010 08:30:47 PM

minervana
High Tripper

Stormcrow wrote:

Your argument can be reduced down to an admission that our humanism and enlightenment are inherently weaker than the tribalism (yes, tribalism. It doesn't really have anything to do with religion) that you fear and the only way to protect ourselves from those who don't respect humanity is to become like them.

How is enforcing immigration law, deporting people, or paying them to leave the same as saying that their murder is justified? How is prosecuting people for genital mutilation, or honor killings, the same as committing these crimes? I would not say our humanism and enlightenment are "inherently weaker" than tribalism, since the enlightenment has given us modern science and medicine, not to mention the internet, the atomic bomb and Pez. But you're right; tribalism and democracy are incompatible, and if we choose the latter we can't accommodate the former.

And before you go using verses from the Q'uran to justify hatred of Muslims, I suggest you actually read the Old Testament. You might be a little surprised by what you find there.

I guess ad hominem is to be expected. But I don't hate anyone. The Koran is reprehensible, though. Christians and Jews can dismiss parts of their holy book, or not take it literally, but in many parts of the Muslim world you're required to believe (or pretend to believe) that the Koran is the perfect word of God, that it cannot have errors. Not only that, but Islam is the perfect divine creed, and it's beyond any criticism (even when it's very mild). People who insult Islam are what Scientologists call "fair game." Critics can be brutalized, or murdered, and their families may be brutalized as well.  Even Pope Benedict doesn't say this about his own religion, and he's the pope.

I agree with you that individuals, from every creed and caste, can possess splendid personal qualities. I'm sure there were many people in Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, Khmer Rouge and so on who were lovely, wonderful people. Good and bad qualities are not mutually exclusive: contrast southern hospitality with jim crow laws. But I've never heard of a case where ideology improved morals, even if some people were relatively unaffected.

Something like 1 billion people are Muslim. And murder, genocide, rape, slavery are all justified not only by the Koran, but by Muslim clerics, scholars and institutions. Do you really think the Church of England maintains that slavery is okay, because the Bible says so? Can you imagine Pope Benedict, or any head of state, for that matter, calling for a novelist's head because their book "insults Catholicism"?  There are "bad apples" in every group. How many do you think there are in 1 billion?

And it's not just the 9/11s or the Rushdie Affairs; every time someone self-censors out of fear is a small defeat. If people cannot abide criticism I see no reason to welcome them into a secular democracy.

I've read the Old Testament. It's horrid. It's also wonderful that we don't have to believe it under penalty of death.

They're just people.

Neo-Nazis are people, too. I've never met one that I know of, but I doubt they've all committed violent crimes. Someone who believes in a dangerous ideology is more likely to, though, and ought to be put under further scrutiny.

OiTL wrote:

And you can judge whether or not a person is a serial killer based solely on looks?  Can decipher whether or not they have an outstanding warrant?  Really?

No. It's called probability theory. The probability that an eighty-year-old woman will hurt somebody is fairly low. The probability that a machete-wielding schizophrenic will hurt somebody is high. Experienced police officers have enough experience that they develop a heuristic sense for when someone is "up to no good."

#182 | Back to Top04-29-2010 10:47:59 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Minervana wrote:

Experienced police officers have enough experience that they develop a heuristic sense for when someone is "up to no good."

Look, I study Criminology professionally, and this is utter bulltwackie.  Some police officers BELEIVE that they have this kind of sense, but all that is picking up body cues at best and profiling based off clothing and race at worst -which is neither legal nor just cause for arrest or warrantless searches.  It is fallible it is fallible it is fallible.  Which is why that 'sense' alone is not legal grounds for an arrest.    Seeing an machete-wielding man covered in bloodstains and deducing that such a person is an immediate danger and acting thusly is not using any sort of 'experience-won super-sense' that's an entirely different matter.  Because you SEE the weapon, you SEE the signs of a violent attack.  [You are jumping clear to the opposite end of the spectrum with the machete-wielding schizophrenic; this example has nothing to do with probable cause and profiling.]

And you don't deal with a person suspected of being up to some vague criminal behavior like you would someone presenting an imminent danger to the officer or someone else.  You would enact an emergency search without a warrant- which is only legal if there is an overriding need or compelling interest [public safety, likely escape of dangerous suspect, risk of removal or destruction of evidence].  And then if you found a weapon, or drugs, or some incriminating evidence, you can make an arrest. 

The most a police officer legally can and should do if he has a 'hunch' about someone is stop them for a few questions and give them a light pat-down if he fears they are holding a weapon.  If he doesn't feel a thing he cannot take it any further than that- no checking pockets, no nothing without a warrant.

And another thing to keep in mind about some, not all certainly, experienced cops is that they are older and their values and discretion come from a different time and perspective on policing and crime.

As I've said, there is a million little source's that influence a police officer's discretion and gut, and not all of them are unbaised and infallible.

If you could trust police officers to be correct 100% of the time, then letting them arrest and invade the privacy of others at their discretion would be dandy, but you absolutely cannot, which is why there are laws and procedures put in place to protect people's rights.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (04-29-2010 10:50:28 PM)

#183 | Back to Top04-30-2010 08:00:56 AM

Ico
Juri Jeerer
Website

Re: profiling, my experience with it is pretty minimal, but here it is for what it's worth.  I used to be a canvasser for Amnesty International, and with a bunch of other canvassers we'd go downtown (I live in the twin cities, so big downtown areas) and stand on corners and ask people walking by, "Do you have two minutes for Amnesty International?" 

All the canvassers work in teams, usually kitty-corner to each other, and we have T-shirts and clipboards that identify us and read "Amnesty International."  So we all look/act basically the same.  But one of the things about bringing a team downtown is that you never, ever pair two black canvassers together.  Even though we are all doing exactly the same thing and there might be two white canvassers on another corner one street away, the police inevitably harass our black canvassers.  This is regardless of what type of neighborhood we are in. 

I bring this example up because we all do exactly the same thing, so there's nothing that warrants suspicion of one of us more than another.  The canvassers who would avoid pairing up together include my boss (an assistant director of the whole canvassing operation), and a guy who was the second-highest earner in the office.  They were damn good canvassers. 

Whatever instincts the police have, the way we had to take them into account was flat-out racism.  And I'm pretty privileged in that being a half-Asian who's light enough to be treated as white, I never had to deal with that outside of work.  I could just go home and be pissed off that the second-highest-earner on my team was chased off somewhere because the police didn't like him.  My coworkers, though, have to live this shit regularly.  I think it's easy to advocate for the accuracy of police intuition when you're not being profiled by it.

(ETA stuff about Arizona
): With this new Arizona law, we're effectively legalizing singling out people solely according to their race.  Which is obviously discrimination.  And not just that, but it seems to me it opens the door to all kinds of abuses of power as well.  If an officer wants to harass someone and that person happens to be a Latin@, it will be very easy for the officer to just start demanding papers and give them trouble--and the law backs that up now.  In a perfect legal system we wouldn't have officers that would behave that way; but our legal system is far from perfect.  I was arrested once at a political event with a bunch of white kids and an Indian kid.  One of the white kids had a long record of minor misdemeanors.  The Indian kid had no record at all.  But the cops strip-searched the Indian kid.  And no one else.  Do we really want law enforcement to have a law that effectively permits them to use their "discretion" to decide who to target as undocumented?  Personally I think the law is legalized racism.

Last edited by Ico (04-30-2010 10:08:23 AM)

#184 | Back to Top04-30-2010 08:45:28 AM

Prince_of_Stars
Someday Shiner
Website

I just....I just have a question in regards to this AZ law. How does one look illegal? Like seriously, because I'm lost. I understand racial profiling well; I am for all intents and purposes black, and the other part of my heritage does not afford me the luxury to pass for white, and honestly, that's what this law sounds like to me. Just saying.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/chani_sama/prince-sig.png

Sir Hellsing: Leader of the Feminine Failure Revolution
Faithfully failing at feminine tasks, gender roles, and the conventionality of femininity since 1990.

#185 | Back to Top04-30-2010 10:11:19 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Prince_of_Stars wrote:

I just....I just have a question in regards to this AZ law. How does one look illegal? Like seriously, because I'm lost. I understand racial profiling well; I am for all intents and purposes black, and the other part of my heritage does not afford me the luxury to pass for white, and honestly, that's what this law sounds like to me. Just saying.

As I understand it, that's the gist of the new law... Arizona law enforcement (many of which are on record as being in opposition to this new law, incidentally) has the obligation to ask for the papers of anyone who they deem looks like an illegal immigrant. Not someone who looks like they are engaging in suspicious behavior, but someone who looks illegal. I saw a clip of the press conference from the day the bill was signed into law when the governor of AZ was asked by a reporter, "How do you know what an illegal alien looks like?", and the governor had no answer.

You're exactly right, PoS. That's the crux of this new law as I understand it. It's not about looking for drug cartels or human traffickers, that's just a convenient justification. It's about looking for illegal aliens based almost solely on appearance with no probable cause other than not being white. I highly doubt that the goal of Arizona's new law is to look for illegals from Poland, Holland, or France.

Adding fuel to the fire, there's also apparently a clause in the new law which allows public citizens to sue the Police Department if they feel that the officers are not enforcing the new law! Talk about being screwed no matter what you do... it's not just American citizens of Latino descent and legal immigrants who are unjustly targeted by this new law, but also the Arizona police force.

The whole thing is lose/lose. That and the new law may be unconstitutional, violating the 14th Amendment.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (04-30-2010 10:14:26 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#186 | Back to Top04-30-2010 11:32:28 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Trench Kamen wrote:

Fuck my state. Fuck it. Fuck this shit.

Just legalize marijuana already. That would help stop a lot of the drug violence on the border. We have stupid misconceptions and hang-ups as a society about this.

In California, we're getting that on the November bill! We might actually legalize Marijuana, which would kind of help out with the problems on both American and Mexican soil. But that is if it gets passed, some people are worried that it's going to open up a can of worms and *all* states are going to want to legalize Marijuana.

As for the Arizona law....to reiterate that question how does one look illegal? Well, gee golly whiz didn't ya know? You can tell "illegal immigrants" via Clothing

Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'fashion police.'

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#187 | Back to Top04-30-2010 11:37:12 AM

Ico
Juri Jeerer
Website

lex wrote:

As for the Arizona law....to reiterate that question how does one look illegal? Well, gee golly whiz didn't ya know? You can tell "illegal immigrants" via Clothing

Wow.  Is this real life?  I have to agree with the commenter to that article who posted the following quote: "No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." -- Lily Tomlin

#188 | Back to Top04-30-2010 08:39:27 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

minervana wrote:

I guess ad hominem is to be expected. But I don't hate anyone. The Koran is reprehensible, though. Christians and Jews can dismiss parts of their holy book, or not take it literally, but in many parts of the Muslim world you're required to believe (or pretend to believe) that the Koran is the perfect word of God, that it cannot have errors...

... There are "bad apples" in every group. How many do you think there are in 1 billion? ...

(italics added)

First things first. Ad hominem. To the person. This refers to the logical fallacy of impugning a person's character to attack their arguments. What I did was accuse you of ignorance, which might be a bit of a straw man, but is not an ad hominem attack. Please don't use technical terms you don't understand, it diminishes the value of language.

Now then, I have read both the Qu'ran and the Torah, and I find the Torah far more violent and reprehensible. And I'm a Jew. You can't say that Muslims are bad because there are bad things in their scripture without labeling Jews the same way. And as I said in my last post, yes, there really are Jews that believe that we should kill the Palestinians because they're on our land. Which is only our land because of our mythic past that never actually happened. If you see these as different, I'd love for you to explain it to me. Secondly, blaming all Muslims for what goes on "in many parts" of the Muslim world is bigotry, plain and simple. It's no different than saying that Christians are all bigots because of what people like Ann Coultur and Pat Robertson say, or that all Jews are bigots because of what Israeli settlers say. Or for that matter, that all Christians are murderous zealots because of that guy who shot Dr. Tillman.

Wait, what? There are NON-Muslims terrorists? Oh yes, there certainly are. Remember Tim McVeigh?

And how many Chinese people are there in the world? The Chinese government executes its citizens arbitrarily, suppresses human freedoms, occupies a subject nation with terror and threatens its neighbors, to name a few things. Should we start mistrusting Chinese people? What makes Islam so very special?

-Truck North

#189 | Back to Top04-30-2010 10:14:29 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Following hot on the heels of the immigration reform, Arizona keeps failing.

School districts who teach 'ethnic studies' risk losing state funding, which is de-facto shut down.

Teachers with accents can't teach ESL.

I just.... I don't even. emot-mad

Here in Tempe there is a lot of resistance, because it's a college town, but anti-immigrant sentiment is rampant in this state. And you're right, it's not anti-immigrants from everywhere, China, India, etc (those are "good" immigrants), but Latin@s. Anybody who tells you otherwise is lying. Arizona is the major crossing-over point from the Mexican border, and Phoenix has a heavy illegal immigrant population. The reason this crap gets passed is because it will get the state government representatives re-elected. Fucking Joe Arpaio got re-elected.

I'm white. I won't be stopped on the street and asked for my papers. But Latin@-looking people are now carrying their passports and documents with them. My friend said his dad is carrying his passport to check the mail.

#190 | Back to Top05-01-2010 07:13:19 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Oh, FUCK OFF. That is just absolutely ridiculous. There is no rational basis whatsoever for a decision like that. I just....AUGH.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#191 | Back to Top05-01-2010 08:20:35 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

I have a sort-of-political question which is related to this article; I hope it's not thread-derailing. It's about names. In the article, there's mention to the director of the Arizona education-department office charged with enforcing standards in classes for students with limited English, and she's called Adela Santa Cruz, which is a clearly Spanish name. It got me thinking. Is it usual to find people with fully Spanish names whose mother tongue is actually English? (I suspect the answer is yes). Is it also usual to a certain extent that some of them display a sort-of anti-Latin sentiment?

My context is one in which one can make quick connections (assumptions) between an individual's name and not only their background, but also their mother tongue, and sometimes even religion and familiar political views (in the two latter ones, it does easily become a prejudice). I wonder how well, if at all, this rule-of-thumb translates into the American context.

#192 | Back to Top05-01-2010 08:32:06 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Trench Kamen wrote:

Fucking Joe Arpaio.

This man should be commited. Seriously. SERIOUSLY. Have you heard about the Staph infections going around in those prisons?

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#193 | Back to Top05-01-2010 11:55:51 AM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

Current thoughts on the Arizona legislature as a whole.

#194 | Back to Top05-01-2010 01:15:52 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

I have mixed feelings about AZ's immigration law Sb1070. I'm firmly against it mind you, but unlike many other situations I've failed to see the opposite view as to why someone would want it passed. I've been watching Fox News (not the best, admitted) during breaks at work, and I'm stumped on the situation. Those who are defending the law say that there has to be reasonable suspicion before an officer asks for identification. To me that seems to be something police officers are able to do anyway. One man (whose name I've forgotten) gave an example of someone driving recklessly and an officer asking to see your license. To me that example proves the law redundant, and unnecessary. That's all I've been hearing lately is that it's not about racial or ethnic backgrounds. Those police on patrol aren't stopping people because they look as if they might be illegal immigrants.

No sound proof to the contrary has been provided, only bits of 'examples' wherein someone might be stopped anyway, and if they didn't have their papers the suspect would have been deported and so on based on pre-existent law anyway. I thought maybe it's just a plea to the government about their situation, but it ignited quite a fire.

[in that last sentence I meant Federal Gov't]

Last edited by Melancholic_Soul (05-01-2010 01:17:45 PM)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#195 | Back to Top05-01-2010 05:01:35 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Good luck finding someone without an accent, seeing as that doesn't exist. emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member

#196 | Back to Top05-02-2010 01:20:28 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

The law legalizes what Joe Arpaio and his posse have been doing for years anyway. The district attorney also stood up for him. It's just... legal now.

#197 | Back to Top05-02-2010 06:47:24 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

It is indeed more complicated in America asfa. Now if I hear someone's name is Santa Cruz, I would definitely think they had some Hispanic background somewhere, but this was a woman, right? She might have just married into it? In general though, I think I still make those assumptions about names I recognize. If someone's name is Horiki, I would assume they're Japanese. As fro the anti-Latin sentiment... That's harder. The cultural make-up of Hispanic people in this country is quite complicated, with more recent immigrants sometimes clashing with those who have been here for generations. But not always. I dunno, we have a few Hispanic forum members, yes? Any thoughts?

As for SB1070, anyone who says it's not racially motivated (hmm, FOX news?) is lying, just as Trench Kamen said. Yeah, police already have all kinds of reasons to stop people, all of which need to be carefully outlined to make sure the cops don't get abusive with their power. In this case, "suspicious" means being sort of brown-skinned, maybe having a mustache, and definitely not speaking English. No one will admit these things out loud in public, but that's what really is going on. People in this country are really really pissed off right now, and lots of folks are just looking for someone to lay that anger on. Undocumented immigrants... Oh, I suppose in Arizona they really are illegal immigrants now, they weren't really before, despite being called that all the time, but anyway, people who are in our country without official sanction make a convenient scapegoat. They speak a different language, they have different cultural values, and there are a lot of them. And that way people can hate Hispanics and feel like they're not racist, because after all, these are "criminals".

-Truck North

#198 | Back to Top05-02-2010 03:07:22 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

And that way people can hate Hispanics and feel like they're not racist, because after all, these are "criminals".

This. Exactly this.

You don't see this same level of vitriol aimed at undocumented immigrants from European countries. When asked, people will say that they think the same way, that it's not a racial thing, but deep down, they don't. European immigrants are "good" immigrants, it is thought. They'll assimilate. They'll learn English. They'll be productive, because they're inherently smarter, and somehow 'deserve' the American dream. Same with Asian immigrants from the 'good' countries, China, Japan, and Korea, and Indians who work in computer science. They're all "good" immigrants who will add to America. Latin@ immigrants are "bad" immigrants.

Granted, most immigrants here in Arizona *are* Latin@, because of our proximity to the border. They're a convenient scapegoat. The same thing happens every time there is a new wave of immigrants. Eastern Europeans. Irish. Germans. Chinese. Look at history.

#199 | Back to Top05-02-2010 05:58:25 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Trench Kamen wrote:

Stormcrow wrote:

And that way people can hate Hispanics and feel like they're not racist, because after all, these are "criminals".

This. Exactly this.

You don't see this same level of vitriol aimed at undocumented immigrants from European countries. When asked, people will say that they think the same way, that it's not a racial thing, but deep down, they don't. European immigrants are "good" immigrants, it is thought. They'll assimilate. They'll learn English. They'll be productive, because they're inherently smarter, and somehow 'deserve' the American dream. Same with Asian immigrants from the 'good' countries, China, Japan, and Korea, and Indians who work in computer science. They're all "good" immigrants who will add to America. Latin@ immigrants are "bad" immigrants.

Granted, most immigrants here in Arizona *are* Latin@, because of our proximity to the border. They're a convenient scapegoat. The same thing happens every time there is a new wave of immigrants. Eastern Europeans. Irish. Germans. Chinese. Look at history.

emot-keke^ So much truth here. I think what's really amazing is that Americans haven't learned that lawful discrimination is still discrimination and will only serve to deepen relationships amongst the populace. I remember learning about Irish immigration (as well as many others) and the hate crimes and general crap aimed at those who immigrated as well as their U.S. born children.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#200 | Back to Top05-03-2010 11:33:15 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Arizona's immigration laws are a huge step backwards from all the progress we've made towards eliminating discrimination. emot-frown Now Mexican tourists will want to avoid Arizona, which can't be good for its economy.

Board footer