This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-17-2007 02:43:18 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Ding dong, the bastard's dead

Kind of old news, but...

La la la la, la la la la school-devil

If you know nothing about this guy, you're in for an enraging treat. He's a gold mine of stupid.

Discuss. What are your favorite Falwell moments?

#2 | Back to Top05-17-2007 04:19:56 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Re: Ding dong, the bastard's dead

I am an absolute ignorant on that topic. I didn't even know about his existence before reading this forum (I think Gio posted something in the "Reasons to be happy" thread).

For the non-American ones, could some of you explain his ideology? Was he a Christian, maybe a fanatical one? (my sister says he was a member of the Evangelist Church, but she's not sure about anything else.)

I suspect he could be included in the "Top Ten Minds of America" along with mr. Bush (no offence intended emot-biggrin Don't like him, but he's not my president and I could be biased) and as usual had a problem separating religion and State.

Last edited by Asfalolh (05-17-2007 04:20:34 AM)

#3 | Back to Top05-17-2007 06:12:41 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Jerry Falwell was an evangelist that was, if not single-handedly responsible for the religious polarization of the right in this country, instrumental. God hates fags and women, that bullshit. I could say more, but here, have a few quotes.

The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country.

But these things speak evil of those things, verse 10 [reading from Jude] which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves. Look at the Metropolitan Community Church today, the gay church, almost accepted into the World Council of Churches. Almost, the vote was against them. But they will try again and again until they get in, and the tragedy is that they would get one vote. Because they are spoken of here in Jude as being brute beasts, that is going to the baser lust of the flesh to live immorally, and so Jude describes this as apostasy. But thank God this vile and satanic system will one day be utterly annihilated and there'll be a celebration in heaven.

The Jews are returning to their land of unbelief. They are spiritually blind and desperately in need of their Messiah and Savior.

We're fighting against humanism, we're fighting against liberalism ... we are fighting against all the systems of Satan that are destroying our nation today ... our battle is with Satan himself.

AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals. To oppose it would be like an Israelite jumping in the Red Sea to save one of Pharoah's chariotters.

I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!

On 9/11 wrote:

And, I know that I'll hear from them for this. But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say, "You helped this happen."

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top05-17-2007 07:29:24 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Jerry Falwell, Fred Phelps and Pat Robertson were a sort of unholy trinity of hate.  One down, two to go...school-devilemot-dance

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top05-17-2007 09:09:48 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Giovanna wrote:

I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!

On 9/11 wrote:

And, I know that I'll hear from them for this. But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say, "You helped this happen."

Ok, that guy ideas oficially scare me now emot-gonk I'm glad he is dead now...

Last edited by Romanticide (05-17-2007 09:10:16 AM)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#6 | Back to Top05-17-2007 10:19:11 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm actually kind of disappointed that he's dead...

I wanted to kill him myself. emot-frown

#7 | Back to Top05-17-2007 10:46:52 AM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Strange the first thing that came to my mind when I heard the news was "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead."

I'm really sad to see someone die . . . But in a really sad way, I am kind of happy that he has passed. I do not in any way like stopping to their level of degrading another human for their beliefs or true nature.

On a similar but different note, I was recently watching a History Channel special on the Anti Christ. Towards the end someone was going on about how the bible explains the battle between Christ and his Anti-Self will take place.  Blah- da- Blah! Anyways, in the end they said the bible clearly states Christ will overcome the Anti-Christ. And everyone lives happily ever after.

~The End~

Now if I was the Anti-Christ and I was well rounded on Christianity, and read said passage from the Bible. I would not even bother complete conquest on the destruction of everything. I壇 just take up knitting or something and go about my daily life. Of course that might just throw off the balance of the universe and we might all go spinning into oblivion.

sometimes you make me feel
like I知 living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#8 | Back to Top05-17-2007 10:49:24 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Razara wrote:

I'm sure your life serves a higher purpose than to kill some ignorant bigot.
Speaking of the unholy trinity, I find Fred Phelps to be the most frightening of the three... he's got his whole family backing him up with the whole, "Dying time is true time" thing... How can anyone be happy for massacre?

#9 | Back to Top05-17-2007 11:00:39 AM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Fred Phelps, why do I keep associating his name with the Olympic swimmer? Dear god, I hope my dear Michael Phelps blood line is not tainted with such . . .

*holds breath in fear*

Ugly . . . !

you said

#10 | Back to Top05-17-2007 12:49:56 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I've never hated anyone more than I hate Fred Phelps [or, as we Streifte Geist fans say, Drop Dead Fred.]. But, the death of Falwell has brought glee enough for one day. Hell, it's going to bring me glee for a lifetime.

The one thing I hated though, was that all the celebs they interviewed said nice things about him. "He lived a great life" and "He always sparked conversation" and all that.

emot-mad

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#11 | Back to Top05-17-2007 01:08:17 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Razara wrote:

..can I hug you?

#12 | Back to Top05-17-2007 01:30:41 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

The thing that scares me about people like JF is that he can get such a huge level of support for his stupid ideas. In any civilised society his career wouldn't get any further than standing in the park ranting at embarassed passers-by, but he managed to build a huge empire and change the face of American politics. The Moral Majority may not be moral, but sadly they are indeed the majority.

Even here in liberal Vancouver I get creeped out thinking about how many people around me actively support this kind of garbage. It's the same sort of feeling evoked by all those allegorical zombie movies. Night Of The Living Conservatives ! emot-aaa

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#13 | Back to Top05-17-2007 02:53:04 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

They do not call them a Flock of Sheep for nothing you know.

emot-biggrin

you said

#14 | Back to Top05-17-2007 04:10:00 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Goodie! A Something Awful slam!

Yeah, I know, but it's like... the only other site I ever visit anymore. emot-keke

Edit:

"God is real and tangible. His strength resides within me." - To a symposium on Christianity after tearing a 900lb steel beam in half.  (1987)

"When we pray, God listens. If God wills it then it is so. Connect the two and you will realize that anything is possible." - To a class of third graders as he hovered in midair and made clocks turn backwards. (1991)

"No door or window is barred to the Lord." - Final comment at a press conference, followed immediately by Falwell phasing through a concrete wall. (1992)

Fantastic. etc-love

Last edited by Yasha (05-17-2007 04:12:27 PM)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#15 | Back to Top05-17-2007 04:14:14 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

That is so wrong, but I cannot stop laughing.

you said

#16 | Back to Top05-17-2007 04:44:49 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Yasha wrote:

"The Jew is the stealthiest of races. There is no community he cannot infiltrate. Did you know just yesterday I saw a Jew break dancing? They are an amazing people." - At the Moral Majority's Jew of the Year gala during which Richard Lewis won for the second year in a row.  (1995)

It's sad we will no longer get new tidbits of hysterical like this.

#17 | Back to Top05-17-2007 04:47:23 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Yasha wrote:

"God has given each race of mankind a unique gift. The Asians are wise and magical, the white man commands machines, and the black has been given a surplus of bones allowing him to perform feats unmatched in athleticism." - Final comments at an NAACP fundraiser dinner. (1988)

Is this stuff actually true?

you said

#18 | Back to Top05-17-2007 05:12:16 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Sevelle wrote:

Yasha wrote:

"God has given each race of mankind a unique gift. The Asians are wise and magical, the white man commands machines, and the black has been given a surplus of bones allowing him to perform feats unmatched in athleticism." - Final comments at an NAACP fundraiser dinner. (1988)

Is this stuff actually true?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, absolutely not, no way in hell emot-smile  But the fact that you have to ask proves how outrageous this guy actually is.

#19 | Back to Top05-17-2007 05:14:53 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Well I know Farwell. He's a Virginian. I'm a Virginian. And he is CRAZY!!!

you said

#20 | Back to Top05-17-2007 05:16:00 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

OH MY GOD

ALERT ALERT HOLY SHIT THIS MAY JUST BE THE FUNNIEST FUNDIE THING I HAVE EVER SEEN OH MY GOD

CANNOT BREATHE

emot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#21 | Back to Top05-17-2007 05:20:13 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

And the sad thing is, that is probably real.

you said

#22 | Back to Top05-17-2007 05:24:27 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oh, it's real.

Westboro Baptist Church, headed by Fred Phelps.

By the way, in case you miss the URL, it's 'godhatesfags.com'. I believe 'godhatesamerica.com' also belongs to them.

Edit: oh god, there are more

#23 | Back to Top05-17-2007 05:25:38 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

But Fag's are God's chosen people! Obviously that is why we have the best sex, nicest jobs, and turn slums into pricy properties.

you said

#24 | Back to Top05-17-2007 05:26:54 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Sevelle wrote:

But Fag's are God's chosen people! Obviously that is why we have the best sex, nicest jobs, and turn slums into pricy properties.

Well, we know that, baby, but apparently these people have some kind of other idea. Also, we all eat babies, apparently. I thought it was just me? emot-confused

#25 | Back to Top05-17-2007 05:33:35 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

I wonder what the world would be like if there were no Fag's?

*Ponders of a Silent Hillesque type world*

AHHH! It's too scary!!!

EDIT: Nah, Silent Hill . . . More like Barney and Friends.

Last edited by Sevelle (05-17-2007 05:35:05 PM)

you said

Board footer