This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-21-2013 08:15:14 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Schools days: review in progress

Earlier I posted my impression of the first episode of the infamous anime Schools days in the current anime thread
This thread exist for sake of preventing that thread from become a cluster fuck of impressions post and response post from users
Below this paragraph is a extended review of episode 1 that I posted that thread with stuff that I did't mention in that thread.

After hearing about this infamous anime & it ending a few time I thought that I should torture myself through it and they are right; this anime is complete shit and you will find out why.

Story
The plot for the first episode is atrocious from a writing standpoint; by the end of the episode anything that would of made Makoto relate-able is destroyed because he let Sakei/Saionji(his friend) kissed despite him having a crush on someone else making him a complete dumbass in the process which is expected considering that its trying to deconstruct dating sims/Visual novels considering that Makoto is the embodiment of most dating sim players mentally but it stupid because it both his and Sakei's fault for doing it making it really stupid no matter what the excuse of deconstructing its own genre is going to hide the fact that it really shitty writing.

then there's the cell phone plot point which is really pretentious mainly because it just a cliche love at first sight plot-point but with a cell phone gimmick to make it look different and unique from other love stories but in reality it makes the character dumber then they look and its really just the same thing you see in most traditional love stories.

The pacing is atrocious and the plot in this episode is not well structured to say the least; as a certain Gaffer(Syrinx) sum up the plot:
0.Guy sees girl on train
1.Guy likes girl on train
2.Guy takes a picture of girl on train because some stupid urban myth
3.Other girl see picture on guy's cell phone. Other girl makes friends with first girl solely so that she can have guy meet her
4.Second girl sets up lunch between her, first girl, and guy.Second girl pretends to go to bathroom to leave first girl alone with guy
5.Guy tells second girl he plans on asking out first girl
6.Guy asks out first girl; she accepts
7.First girl admits to second girl that she already had crush on guy, thanks second girl for her services
8.Guy meets second girl while waiting for train, thanks her, tells her he'll make it up to her however she wants
9.Second girl.......kisses guy on lips and is seen crying on the train ride home
it show how dumb these character are and how shitty the core script is structurally

Presentation
Let gets this over with
1. Animation: 2/5
Awful overall its Prone to going off model at times, uses some of the same gags you see in most slice of life anime not really and really bland overall
2. Music: 2/5
Generic music you see in most slice of life anime and melodramatic trash
3. Art style: 3/5
Again really bland and generic art style that you see in most slice of life/harem anime plus the character designs are uninspired
The overall presentation for this anime is mediocre at best; the presentation is just uninspired, nothing about it is memorable at least Utena made up for it limited budget with it distinctive aesthetic, really good animation at time especially the animations in 3rd and 4th story arcs; Seeing the respective brides of the character pulling their respective soul sword out along with the second to last duel in the series were some of the best animation I've seen in anime with a budget of this caliber and then their was the ost.

Final verdict: 2/5
Just the fact that it a deconstruction of a genre does't excuse the shit writing(and characters) and bland presentation so far.

Last edited by Rosesareawesome101 (04-21-2013 08:15:52 AM)

Board footer