This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top01-10-2010 09:05:40 PM

Gabriel Fellsworth
Juri Jeerer

Re: RoseCon '10?

I see a lot of people throwing around Boston, and I agree for Boston, since it's easier for me to get to then any other place. I look forward to hearing more about Rosecon. emot-biggrin

Just because I have voices in my head, doesn't mean I am crazy.

#52 | Back to Top01-10-2010 09:13:55 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Since two other people like the idea of New Orleans, I thought a bit of research and insight might sway a few more. The city would be great for August, which is what we're leaning for because of everyone's schooling and Gio's healing, because the worst of the heat will be gone(well, I don't know how well Northerners may like it, who knows). Now, the nitty-gritty!

The two best options as far as hotels are the Holiday Inn Chateau deMoyne and the Royal St. Charles Hotel. Royal St. Charles is $59 a night and Chateau deMoyne is $88, but deMoyne is about as close as you're going to get to the French Quarter without handing the clerk at the front desk your firstborn child. It's literally a block away from Bourbon Street, and you're about five blocks away from the central French Quarter attractions. The Royal St. Charles is a couple blocks more, and that may not seem like much, but your feet are going to want to DIE after a day traipsing around New Orleans. The plus is that nearly everything that MUST be seen is within walking distance, but you don't have much of a choice since the streets aren't very accommodating to vehicles to begin with.

It's possible to get off-season ticket prices at the independent hotels(of which there are a LOT), but there's about a million of them and I have no idea what they consider off-season to begin with since New Orleans has a totally different tourist schedule(Louisiana has more festivals than stars in the sky). That's a project for only if we have a set date. There are super-cheap hotels across town(I found one for $44 a night), but keep in mind that parking is a royal bitch if you decide to go by car. And I don't have much experience with public transportation since I've never done it alone, but it seems like New Orleans has buses and trolley cars a-plenty(especially the trolleys; you see those everywhere).
http://www.norta.com/routes/

As for what exactly would be done, there's a ridiculous amount of things to do that are not only within walking distance from these hotels but contribute to the city's overall atmosphere of decadent decay that you have to admit is a bit appropriate for Utena. Breakfast of Cafe du Monde's famous beignets, watching the buskers and fortunetellers, going through shops and the giant open air flea market, museums, voodoo parlors, horse and buggy tours for when your feet get tired, and walking history, ghost, and vampire tours. Also, believe me, you don't have to have expensive gourmet food to eat well and authentically; the state's known for cheap yet mind-blowing food. Also, perhaps you have heard of the famous bars, stripclubs, and drive-thru daiquiri shops, but did you know that New Orleans has liquor stores that deliver? school-devil Let how AWESOME that is sink in for a moment.

Here's my very basic Google Map to give you an idea of walking distances and such:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&a … fdc1a7e134

Edit: Haha, it's all good. The forum's been screwy with me lately. Just glad it didn't happen again since this one originally double-posted as well. :dance

Last edited by Frau Eva (01-10-2010 09:21:23 PM)

Hat Mafia Member

#53 | Back to Top01-10-2010 09:19:35 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

Edit: Haha, it's all good. The forum's been screwy with me lately. Just glad it didn't happen again since this one originally double-posted as well. emot-dance

emot-frown  And the forum had been so good recently, up until the last week or so.  I guess it doesn't like the cold weather.

#54 | Back to Top01-10-2010 10:46:20 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I selfishly endorse the New Orleans venue, for it would be extremely easy for me to get there. emot-redface Hell, I could drive there. It's about six hours by car from where I am. That would be great. poptart

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#55 | Back to Top01-10-2010 10:50:39 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I love Frau ten times more now for taking the endeavor to do New Orleans research to sway people. school-devil Not only because I could easily afford and get driven over there (about an hour away from Hammond) but because.. now I really want to go again!

#56 | Back to Top01-11-2010 12:32:22 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I'm voting for either Boston or New Orleans...or basically anywhere on the East Coast, as my experience of the States is limited to the South-West and Washington state. school-devil My vote may not count for much, mind you, considering I'm not entirely sure I can go yet...as I said, for me it's not a money issue, it's more about where I'm living at the time and what I'm doing for a job. If nothing changes between now and then, I'm cool, but if I go to Japan it'll be in August, so...yeah. But I'll know about that in a couple of months time, so...yeah! etc-love Thanks so much to all of you who are throwing in suggestions and costings and things though, it's so wonderful. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#57 | Back to Top01-11-2010 12:56:43 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

New Orleans... to be clear, Frau Eva, are you offering to organize it?  I'd love to go, if so.  I've never been there, and it scares me for no reason, which is all the reason I need to look for an excuse to drive there or hop on a plane!

Clarice, it's worth noting that the other candidate cities are also not in the Southwest or Washington State, unless you count Denver as Southwestern, which is culturally iffy.  This is a very big country, and all of these cities are very different from the American cities you've visited so far.  emot-smile

Last edited by satyreyes (01-11-2010 12:57:26 AM)

#58 | Back to Top01-11-2010 01:20:11 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Clarice, it's worth noting that the other candidate cities are also not in the Southwest or Washington State, unless you count Denver as Southwestern, which is culturally iffy.  This is a very big country, and all of these cities are very different from the American cities you've visited so far.  emot-smile

Ha ha, I probably lean towards the East Coast rather than the more central or mid-west States because if I come over, I'll be wandering over to Orlando and/or New York and possibly D.C. as well, depending on time constraints and how much money I can get away with spending. Also, if my parents move to Montreal, I'll likely stay as long as I can... etc-love I can always run to them in Canada and cry if I spend all my money... school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#59 | Back to Top01-11-2010 12:05:55 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

New Orleans would probably be difficult for me to get to, but Boston might be easier. Just to throw that out there.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#60 | Back to Top01-11-2010 03:52:01 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I doubt I could make either one unless my tax refund is extra double-plus good, but New Orleans would be a billion times more likely for me than Boston.

Just to add to what Frau Eva said, tourist season in New Orleans is totally random. Any sort of vaguely major event will cause hotel prices to go up. Mardi Gras is even worse.

The good news is that nothing major tends to go on in August. Mardi Gras and Jazzfest will have passed, and Voodoo won't be until October, so you might be okay.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#61 | Back to Top01-11-2010 04:29:12 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I'd just like to throw out there that August in NO will likely be miserable. It's a place known for high heat and humidity. I would vastly prefer Boston at that time of year.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#62 | Back to Top01-11-2010 05:11:49 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Yeah, to be honest, it is hot and humid and miserable down here in August. ):

#63 | Back to Top01-11-2010 05:33:29 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

To be honest, if it's not in the Midwest, there isn't really a chance of me getting to RoseCon, money for me is an issue as I am penniless. Literally. I could at least impose on relatives if it were held in Minneapolis...

...and I've lived in other cities, but yeah. Living in South Dakota for the last three years has painted Minneapolis rosy, but still. Minneapolis is a great place for music-he of the "I Wish I was a Lesbian" fame started out there among others.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#64 | Back to Top01-11-2010 06:36:27 PM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

This doesn't seem like it'll be in Minneapolis, though. emot-gonk
Oh, woe is me. I'll never make it to Rosecon.

I probably wasn't going to finish my costume in time any way.emot-frown

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#65 | Back to Top01-11-2010 06:46:48 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Aya wrote:

Oh, woe is me. I'll never make it to Rosecon.

Don't feel bad. I didn't make it to RoseCon '08 and I probably won't make it to any other RoseCon unless I have a large amount of disposable cash and it happens on the West Coast.

But I can always talk to my friends on the East Coast who might have attended and listen to their stories of what I've been missing. (I just wanna go see you guys all riff on the series and the movie in person, anyway.)

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#66 | Back to Top01-11-2010 09:15:03 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

I'm probably in the same boat as Aya and Anthiena.  But I'm going god knows where for grad school this fall, so maybe if it's late in the year I'll be able to make it somehow.

#67 | Back to Top01-12-2010 04:10:55 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

satyreyes wrote:

New Orleans... to be clear, Frau Eva, are you offering to organize it?  I'd love to go, if so.  I've never been there, and it scares me for no reason, which is all the reason I need to look for an excuse to drive there or hop on a plane!

But... but, Boston... emot-frown

After looking at the Museum of Science website, I've realized that it's become even more awesome during the years since I've last gone. They have a place with thousands of butterflies now! With that on top of the lightning show and Harry Potter exhibit, I don't think my patience will last until August. I'll just have to go to the museum this month, and then again in August!

#68 | Back to Top01-12-2010 09:43:35 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

satyreyes wrote:

If we do decide on New Orleans, I'd be willing to organize. I've been there a few times and am close enough that I can scope it out even more for a weekend if I wanted(as well as foodie relatives who know way too much about it), and I know I will definitely be going if it will be held there(the other cities depends on money, proximity, luck, etc). And if I can get a bunch of completely nutball anime fans to not lose themselves in Washington DC when I had pneumonia, I think this would be a piece of cake. emot-wink Whatever we do is up to the forum though, but I would do whatever I could to make sure everyone has a fun and pretty affordable time in NO.

Hat Mafia Member

#69 | Back to Top01-12-2010 10:24:55 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

OH MY GOD NEW ORLEANS YESSSSSS.

Also, once I get some sleep, I can do a write up of Philadelphia as per Epee's suggestion, as a contender.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#70 | Back to Top01-13-2010 07:10:43 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Well hey all~

I haven't checked in here for a long time... things get side tracked, and life keeps one busy. I never forgot about the site or anything, and I meant to check in on a bi-weekly basis, but somehow it just didn't happen....

I had a ton of fun back in '08 (that seems so long ago... time sure goes by), so I know I'd try to make it. Whether I could depends on where/when, of course, and I don't know my summer schedule yet by a long shot anyways.

I don't know how many of you have/haven't been to DC. I know Sexing Touga's from around here, and I am too. There's plenty of fun stuff to do, and I'd probably be up for organizing it here/coorganizing it here if I find out my summer schedule is relatively free. The Kenedy Center, Museums, Monuments (if that's your thing), good restaurants, awful sports teams... DC's got a bunch going for it. It's kind of half way between north and south too (although it'd be no fun for all you guys on the other coast).

Ps: I was going to post in the "reasons to be happy thread" before I saw this, but I finally got the "OHTORI" plates for my convertible. That's got to count as a reason to have it in DC too ^.~.

Last edited by Valeli (01-13-2010 07:11:25 PM)

#71 | Back to Top01-16-2010 12:08:16 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

^ Hi , I am kinda surprised that you remember me and I want to see your car it's plates.

Washington DC is a neat place although...it will be hot, and a bit sultry during the summer. I could help a bit with the planning If DC is a contender I know a few cool neighborhoods to hang out in. Also all entry to the Smithsonian Museums are free! So inexpensive/free geekery!

Personally, I like the New Orleans Idea best; however due to the heat could we try for a bit later in the fall...or would that fuck up school/work stuff for folks?

Thank you for the information on the hotel Frau Eva... emot-keke

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (01-16-2010 12:14:16 AM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#72 | Back to Top01-16-2010 12:44:51 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

We seem to be discovering that we need some way of making a decision emot-smile  If no one wants to say "dammit I am holding a convention and here's when," like Gio did in '08, I guess the fallback is democracy!  I vote Boston, FWIW, but I'd come to any of the beautiful cities that have been presented as long as the time agrees with my schedule.

#73 | Back to Top01-16-2010 09:05:14 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

satyreyes wrote:

We seem to be discovering that we need some way of making a decision emot-smile  If no one wants to say "dammit I am holding a convention and here's when," like Gio did in '08, I guess the fallback is democracy!  I vote Boston, FWIW, but I'd come to any of the beautiful cities that have been presented as long as the time agrees with my schedule.

I'm still putting together the Kansas City proposal. I think what will end up happening is that we need to set up a deadline to have the various city proposals in by and then select our choice based on what is given.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#74 | Back to Top01-16-2010 07:04:54 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Mmm hmm, I think that makes sense.  That way we can choose an event rather than just a city.  So I guess... is the end of the month an okay deadline?  We need to give people time to make travel arrangements by August or so.  If you want to pitch your city, do it soon!  I outlined here some of the things that travelers are going to care about in a proposal.  Remember that most of us are budget-sensitive and like having stuff to do that gives us the opportunity to hang out together.  I'm totally stoked that it looks like this may actually happen!!!

#75 | Back to Top01-17-2010 09:48:35 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Pshaw. I couldn't forget you that easily.

I'll probably try to get a picture of my car/plates sometime... It's a bit hard because I don't actually have a digital camera, and am stuck back in the 1980's technology wise. I "think" my phone has one, but I have no clue how it works (if it is, in fact, there). ... It'd be fun to get a picture up though.

End of the month seems like a reasonable deadline for city stuff, if other people are good with that. I know that if I can't / don't get something put together by then, I'd probably be lousy at setting up the actual thing later on anyways.

Edit: I'll probably put together something for DC. Civic pride and all that. New Orleans sounds fun too though, if there's an easy way to get there and easy ways to get around there. I imagine it could be a neat place to visit. I'm sure the other cities could be fun too, and I just haven't been made aware of it yet.

Last edited by Valeli (01-17-2010 09:50:38 AM)

Board footer