This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top04-05-2014 12:19:19 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: RoseCon 2014: We tried so hard and got so far, but RC is off this year

I know it sucks changing the dates like that. But because of my low seniority and absurd demand for August dates, I can't do RoseCon by being given vacation, I have to worm it into my actual schedule. We just picked new schedules, and I seriously picked my schedule on the sole fact that it has a six day off over a weekend. I was hoping it'd land on the dates of RC, but it lands on the 1-3rd. I feel like it's kind of snobby to say, but...is it RoseCon without Yasha and I? Not exactly, BUT don't be afraid of getting little get togethers of your own! I know a lot of us have met and hung out, and traveled to do so, without waiting for RC. RC isn't the be all end all of forum meets. It's just the beginning. emot-smile

As for hotel, I'm gonna snoop around, I'm still inclined to the one we picked but I want to make sure the transit and such is good.

Actually, this trip is serving two purposes for us. We are seriously, seriously, considering moving to Montreal. My rent is like 1,450 a month now, and while the location is hard to beat, it's just a plain old building, when most of the apartment complexes in the city have gyms, pools, etc. Cost of living in Alberta is ridiculous, and nurses are starting to get screwed by the system. (It's cyclical.) I get paid 36.80 an hour--that sounds like a lot. It's not up here. If I'm going to pay out the rear to live somewhere, I'd rather live somewhere more engaging. People move to Edmonton because it's a pretty cool city, but mostly for employment, low taxes (for Canada), free health care, and high earning potential. I'm a city girl, though, and Edmonton doesn't scratch that itch the way I suspect Montreal will. Also, Montreal is like 6 hours from every major city in the region. Right now I drive 16 hours for a weekend in Vancouver. Six to eight hours to get to Toronto, Boston, Philly, and NYC? UNF.

There are downsides of course. First, I need to get my citizenship. Quebec is basically another country, my license and permanent residency will be treated differently there. This isn't a problem, I actually probably qualify now. Second, while Montreal is actually pretty broadly bilingual, I will need to learn French if I mean to work there. This is...problematic, since I suck at languages and am terrified of French because I can't pronounce it. I'm not sure a massive embarrassment phobia is enough to stop me from living somewhere awesome though. emot-biggrin Anyone have suggestions for this? I don't seem to learn languages easily, and I never learned English in the scholastic manner. I learned it reading closed captioning--so I'm considering just downloading shitloads of French movies and diving in.

For a long time we were thinking Vancouver, but honestly, everyone thinks of Vancouver, so it's hard to get there, no employment, and Vancouver isn't actually close to anything aside from Seattle. It's surrounded by some of the most gorgeous land in the world, but Quebec isn't suffering on that front either. I'm not afraid to plunk down hard cash to live somewhere, but if I'm gonna do it, Edmonton's not where it's going to be. I love the city, but it's just too expensive for what it is anymore.

ANYWAY yeah. August 1-3rd, we will be in Montreal. I'm going to _ask_ for dates off around it, but I probably won't get them.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#77 | Back to Top04-08-2014 08:25:20 PM

jmie5
Precious One

I'm really sorry to hear about the date troubles, Gio.   I know we're in completely different boats, but for what it's worth, I've been at my position for a solid nineteen months, been recommended for a class raise, and when I requested four consecutive days off, I got one.  And that was a Thursday in a job where you usually have to work Saturdays, too.  And I asked far in advance. XD  Hell, I'm out.

And unrelated but (momentary) spaz for Montréal + it's Freeeeench!  Not the French I know, it's Canadian French, but... but.... Freeeench!  And closeish to the US!)  I am living vicariously through you for half a minute.  (P.S. I believe you that 36.80 isn't a lot, but.... then I'm screwed.)  I say go for it.  (chants)  Mon-tré-al!  Mon-tré-al!  A la rue!  A la rue!

Anyway, French is my squish.  Not my degree (sadly, ran out of time and will/money) but my minor.  If you ever want some random Internet jack-wagon to bounce French verbs off of, or conjugations (informal 2nd person "tu" v. formal singular or plural 2nd person "vous," anyone?) holy hell, I wanna play (... my life is sad.)   I don't have any recommendations for learning French.  The best I can do is recommend books for pronunciation, when you already have a handle ont he general pronunciation of the words (because holy crap that helps,) so none of my scans will help.

Anyway, short version for the forum:  I'm out for RC due to our workforce spontaneously being cut in half, congratulations on your moving plans Gio, guess who loves all things French, etc.  And if anyone is going for French movies, «Jeux d'enfants» (Childs Play, in English, "Love Me if You Dare") is pretty twisted (and had a young Marion Contillard,) so hey.

#78 | Back to Top04-08-2014 08:49:48 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Giovanna wrote:

am terrified of French because I can't pronounce it.

Don't worry, neither can they.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#79 | Back to Top04-09-2014 11:28:05 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

purplepolecat wrote:

Haha, true. Considering which French I actually want to learn.

So it looks like RC is kind of a hard sell this year. Maybe a border cross is too ambitious, lives aren't lining up the way they need to, but whatever the case may be it doesn't look like there's enough interest right now to pull this off. So for now, RC is a bust. emot-frown

I'll see if there's an interest in it next year, but this one's just not going to happen. Which sucks! But it is what it is. I'll say more later if the need arises but right now I actually need to get some rest, been up a while.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#80 | Back to Top04-09-2014 12:54:00 PM

Gaston
Mikage Mistruster
Website

purplepolecat wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

am terrified of French because I can't pronounce it.

Hey! I can pronounce both French and Canadian French! emot-tongue

Proud Juri x Shiori, Nanami x Tsuwabuki and Utena x Wakaba fan

#81 | Back to Top04-09-2014 01:12:00 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Well, drat.

I'm sorry I couldn't make the revised dates, I hope my disappointed whining didn't give the impression that I held anyone but myself and the cruel whims of fate responsible, and it's too bad that someone couldn't pull it off anyways.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#82 | Back to Top04-09-2014 09:03:22 PM

jmie5
Precious One

Gaston wrote:

Hey! I can pronounce both French and Canadian French! emot-tongue

But what can't you do, Gaston?  emot-biggrin  (My apologies for the Disney moment.) 

Sorry to hear RoseCon is off this year, but damn did everyone give it a go. etc-love

Last edited by jmie5 (04-09-2014 09:04:48 PM)

#83 | Back to Top04-09-2014 09:11:35 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

jmie5 wrote:

Sorry to hear RoseCon is off this year, but damn did everyone give it a go. etc-love

Yup!  I'm sad, of course, that RoseCon had to be called off -- even though I suggested it to Gio myself -- but I'm at least happy that it wasn't called off for lack of interest.  Lots of y'all are interested.  That place, on that weekend, this year, did not work out.  Next time it will. emot-smile

#84 | Back to Top04-10-2014 12:20:14 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Aww man, I wanted to at least see the cool pictures you guys would have taken. Oh well, there is always next year.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

Board footer