This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top10-02-2007 06:22:23 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Re: "The Character" vs. "The Person"

I have decided to do it, the essay is currently two pages long. There is a whole section dedicated to the irony that Jellineck pointed out (*hugs*) and another that debates how Mikage is the character that deals more directly with death in general and murder in particular. This last part is still rather shaky and at this point rewatching the Black Rose saga is in order.
The main topic of the essay is Mikage, ambiguity and regression. I have been studying Linguistics and it shows in the introductory paragraph. It is still somewhat drafty and needs some serious tweaking but the overall structure is more or less established. I am not too sure wether to include in the argumentation a claim that Mikage is both a "White Rose" and a "Black Rose" Duellist, though and a few other details are still a tad shady. Either way, so far so good. school-devil

#52 | Back to Top10-02-2007 06:30:17 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Aaaww. *snuggle huggles* emot-keke I'm the inspiration for an awesome essay! Self-awarded pop-tarts for me Though seriously, I am definitely anticipating reading this. I was just watching the Black Rose saga the other day and yet again admiring Mikage's character. One thing that you may wish to include is the visual symbolism, especially in the backgrounds and color usage. I find some of the imagery from his episode to be the most striking in the series (i.e. dry light colors for Nemuro, darker more dramatic shades for Mikage). There's a lot of emphasis on winter, dead brances, snow, and overall coolness and perhaps a symbol for death. Seems interesting at Ohtori since we seldom see any other weather conditions besides perfect sunny days and the occasional rain.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#53 | Back to Top10-02-2007 06:43:24 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

There you go: poptart poptart ad eternum
I have added to the table of contents the topics of seasons and colour symbolism. Friday is a holiday in my country so I will dedicate Thursday night to marathoning the Black Rose Saga and see whether my theory on why Mikage transferred his affection from Tokiko to Mamiya (or a Mamiya simulacrum, at any rate) is confirmed. I also hope to prove that to some extent Mikage was revolutionary at least as far as gender roles are concerned.
This is going to be fun coolemot-dance

to get back on topic, I would really like to meet the Shadow Girls. They would be a riot, I'm sure!

Board footer