This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-19-2017 11:05:32 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Trying to buy one of the lost musicals--have a good lead, need help

I want to do everything I can to see if there might be a way to access the two lost Utena musicals, so I looked up the theatre troupes from the Japanese Wikipedia page on Utena, because I figured if anyone would have recordings, they would.

The second Utena musical was performed by Gessyoku Kagekidan, or Lunar Eclipse Revue. Unsurprisingly, their mail-order page (http://gessyokukagekidanhome.web.fc2.com/tuhan.html) does not list the Utena musical; however, there is a note to contact ticket@studiogift.co.jp if you are looking to buy a DVD that isn't listed.

The problem is, when I tried to send an email to this address, I got a message saying that it didn't get through. The same thing happened when I tried using a different email account from another site. I don't know if there's any solution to this, but my best guess is that you would need a Japanese email address.

Is there anyone here who has a Japanese email address and can send a message for me? Or does anyone here know someone with a Japanese email address who owes them a favor? I'll send you the message I want you to send.

If all else fails I could try asking a shopping service; I'm just reluctant to spend money before I'm sure that it'll even be possible to buy this.

I think the chances of getting a response would be better if the email could be sent in Japanese, but I can't write in Japanese. A friend of mine was kind enough to make a template for this, but the one thing missing is "Would it be possible to buy this?" or something along those lines... I don't know how to say that, so if anyone here would like to provide that translation, that would be great, and the entire thing could be send in Japanese.

By the way, while I normally do not publicly upload the Utena-related media that I buy, I would be willing to make an exception in this case because of just how difficult it is to obtain.

Oh, and as for the third Utena musical, the shop page of that theatre company (http://fakikaku.cart.fc2.com/) is down for maintenance, so there's nothing I can tell you right now on that.

#2 | Back to Top07-20-2017 03:58:09 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Trying to buy one of the lost musicals--have a good lead, need help

I can't help directly but I will ask around and see what I can find out. I'd love to get my hands on one of the lost musicals, or even just a rip!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top07-27-2017 11:43:38 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Update: The person in charge of the shopping service I contacted (My Favorite Things from Japan) was kind enough to send an email for me at no cost. It didn't work for her either; it just wouldn't send; it seems like the email address might be defunct.
She says she'll look for it online, but I am doubtful it's offered anywhere, since none of us have ever managed to find it. My next idea is to just get in contact with the troupe through social media, if she'll help me with the Japanese (if not, I can still try asking in English). I'm still expecting the answer will probably be "No, we do not have that available for you to purchase," but I want to keep trying until that point.

If, by the end of all this, the theatre troupe that performed the third musical still has their shop "under maintenance," I will contact them directly as well.

#4 | Back to Top07-28-2017 04:15:53 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Keep us updated like so hard, hun. If it becomes at any point about resources or such, I'm sure we could manage it.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top08-01-2017 09:30:40 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

The person from the shopping service tells me she did receive a response saying that Gessyoku Kagekidan did not have their Utena musical available for purchase because of copyright reasons, so that's not going to work out.
I'm not expecting any success with the third, but I'll let you know what happens.

#6 | Back to Top08-01-2017 08:18:02 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

I found a page in Portuguese (http://www.shoujo-cafe.com/2006/06/musi … utena.html) written by someone who says they found a torrent of the second musical. The link doesn't work for me, though, and it looks very similar to the musical we have footage of, to such an extent that I'm half-wondering if someone has gotten them confused.

The one on youtube definitely is the first one, because you can see the title in the video. The torrent could be mislabeled, though. I know there was a lot of cast overlap, but the Utena actresses were different, and the Utena in this picture looks just like Daiki Yu, who starred in the first one... that's the explanation I'm going to go with, then.

Board footer