This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-18-2008 10:35:10 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

"Starter" animes?

I have a friend who would like to start watching anime, and asked me for some suggestions as things he might like starting out.

I suggested Escaflowne (something for everyone, I think), Cowboy Beebop (not my fav but it has mass popular appeal), and Princess Mononoke (....all contained in one movie, and its my fav of his.)

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  I wasn't going to just load him up with a list of my favorites.

20 threads dead so far.

#2 | Back to Top12-18-2008 10:41:28 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: "Starter" animes?

Oh, but it depends so much on the person!  My gateway drug was Boogiepop Phantom, which I would never call a "starter anime."  What are his favorite movies?

#3 | Back to Top12-18-2008 11:19:09 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I was started off on the classics, bad dubs and all. Speed Racer, Voltron, Sailor Moon, Transformers... all that jazz. I honestly wouldn't know what of anything could be starter-ish. Especially since I basically dropped anime years ago for the sake of manga. I know Trigun was a series I enjoyed immensely, and I've noticed it has a broad appeal to a lot of different types. My sister really likes Witch Hunter Robin, although I've never watched it, I can't really offer an opinion. I got a friend of mine interested with Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres, but I don't know how those would sit with a guy.

I hope that helps...? I know it's not much.

Faux Edit: Gundam Wing was my first serious fucking obsession though. God, I was a whore for that show. I'd still love to get the dvds.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#4 | Back to Top12-18-2008 11:34:41 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Hellsing. It has intense action, and its relatively short. Its also one of my all time favs.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#5 | Back to Top12-19-2008 01:43:45 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Anything by Satoshi Kon (Millennium Actress ;D). But yeah, it depends a lot on the person. Some people won't be able to get into anime no matter what they watch, while others become interested in the first thing they see.

Your best bet would be to find out what your friend likes the most, and then give some suggestions.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#6 | Back to Top12-19-2008 02:21:59 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

My first anime [though I didn't know it as an anime, just a cartoon that was on after school] was Sailor Moon. I think the characters I looooved were Rini and Ami [I had to look Ami up, I haven't seen it in so long]. Technically, Sailor Moon was also my first manga, though I didn't know it as such. I thought I'd bought a book, and I didn't bother to look inside. When I got home, I was surprised to see that there were pictures inside.

I was eleven. Shut up.

And then, two years later, I found the Utena manga because I was obsessed with roses at the time, and I thought, "OOH ROSES" and I bought it. It was the best purchase of my life. etc-love

#7 | Back to Top12-19-2008 03:30:40 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

I'm about to start a friend off who's never watched anime, and I'm picking Noir for her.

Mostly because knowing her, I think the emotional music, heavy characterization, and action will hook her. At least that is my hope. Then I will sloooowly expose her to other stuff.

So I agree with what people have said here about starter animes fully depending on the person you're "training". school-eng101

#8 | Back to Top12-19-2008 03:55:12 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Echoing what others said. It depends. I have two friends who's starter anime was SKU.

The first appreciated it because she probably couldn't like anything more ordinary or shallow (which explains why it was her only anime). And the second wanted to see what was I yapping about and pretty much accepts any of my anime suggestions. It's a pity I don't have much more to give her, other than Noir, Rose of Versailles and Simoun. But I'm not sure how much of starter animes those are.

If it's someone who dislikes anime in that 'all of it is stupid and sucks' try giving something more unusual and contrasting to the anime that convinced them that all are like that. Which would mean no Sailormoon, probably. And if it's someone who could easily get into some simple, but intense story about love, friendship and stopping world domination... Well, you see where I'm going with this. Whether they like same-sex couple stories can help, too.

#9 | Back to Top12-19-2008 05:44:15 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Arki wrote:

If it's someone who dislikes anime in that 'all of it is stupid and sucks' try giving something more unusual and contrasting to the anime that convinced them that all are like that.

Utena!
Kaiba!
Dennou Coil!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#10 | Back to Top12-19-2008 06:27:13 AM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

My gateways were Ronin Warriors Sailor Moon and DBZ in the morning and Pokemon and Digimon after school

Last edited by AnjitheArtist (12-19-2008 06:27:39 AM)

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#11 | Back to Top12-19-2008 06:35:44 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

My first was Fushigi Yugi. Oh my. ¬_¬ Unless Pokemon counts. Which I really hope it doesn't. [/lame]
On a related note, I actaully encountered Utena about 4 years before I actually got into it, but didn't dare read it at the time because I thought people would think I was a lesbian. Sux XD
  So yeah, depends on the person. I hear the two main ways younger viewers get into it are DBZ or Sailor Moon, but maybe times have changed since those were airing. Cowboy Bebop might be a good choice for someone who isn't familiar with your usual anime conventions and tropes, and also, like you said, it has mass appeal.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#12 | Back to Top12-19-2008 08:41:38 PM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

Back in the day Trigun worked very well as gateway anime.  It's silly and action-packed, so everyone would watch it, and then suddenly it's hugely serious and tragic, so people would get hooked.  These days, though, I'm not sure how easy it would be to hook friends of mine with silly action, so this may have to be re-evaulated.

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#13 | Back to Top12-19-2008 08:44:59 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

My starter anime was Gundam Wing, which was perfect for me.  It had enough political intrigue, decent english VAs to get me intrigued.  I adored Zechs so much, and Duo, and I hate to admit it... I kinda liked Releena. 

Outlaw Star seems to be a good starter anime too, similar to Cowboy Bebop but with a bit more spontinaity if I remember correctly.  It's been a while.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#14 | Back to Top12-19-2008 08:52:58 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Iris wrote:

My starter anime was Gundam Wing, which was perfect for me.  It had enough political intrigue, decent english VAs to get me intrigued.  I adored Zechs so much, and Duo, and I hate to admit it... I kinda liked Releena. 

Outlaw Star seems to be a good starter anime too, similar to Cowboy Bebop but with a bit more spontinaity if I remember correctly.  It's been a while.

All of those are good starters, I think.  Sailor Moon was my gateway, but Gundam Wing is what hooked me.  I've always wondered what was up with Relena's safari photoshoot in the ED though. It just seems so... random. emot-biggrin

I'd also recommend Tenchi Muyo, either the OVA or first TV series (Tenchi Universe) as good starters.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (12-19-2008 08:54:19 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#15 | Back to Top12-20-2008 02:22:46 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

I'd also recommend Tenchi Muyo, either the OVA or first TV series (Tenchi Universe) as good starters.

I second Tenchi Muyo. Classic emot-biggrin I must also recommend Full Metal Panic. However, you might want to alternate with Fumoffu episodes just to keep things fresh (The first season can get a bit drama-overloaded) . FMP: The Second Raid does better at incorporating humor and drama though.

I recommend watching series that are 26 episodes or less so your friend can get a better feeling of watching a series start to finish without too much comittment.

#16 | Back to Top12-20-2008 09:16:47 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

My first anime was also Sailor Moon, though I didn't know at the time.

My first anime that I knew was anime was Magic Knight Rayearth. emot-redface Shush.

The anime that got me hooked on anime was Utena. etc-love At first, I thought, "Nothing can compare to this greatness!", but I eventually gave in and realized that it's okay to enjoy watching other things, too.

But, er, seconding everyone else in the matter of preferance. There is a lot of anime out there, and no one is going to like all of it. Also, is your friend male or female? If it's the former, I don't have much of an eye for that, as I greatly prefer either shoujo anime or psychological anime. (With SKU, I got both. :3)

Last edited by dollface (12-20-2008 09:19:28 AM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#17 | Back to Top12-20-2008 09:54:31 AM

Esmenet
Tenjou Tilter

I'd say it would depend on what kinds of books they like. Escaflowne is good for your normal fantasy people, and Miyazaki's movies usually work. However, if they like psychological thrillers, I'd suggest Perfect Blue. *is Satoshi Kon fan* And if the Prince of Nothing trilogy is their favourite book series ever, just give them Utena. (And tell them to look for the Kellhus.)

If they've watched one or two other things before, and don't have some sort of giant-robot-phobia (it doesn't matter whether they like giant robots or not) and they really like reading about/watching people be badass, I'd suggest Code Geass. It's not high art, but if what the person in question wants is to watch someone be AWESOME for fifty episodes, Code Geass is it.

If they've read the Count of Monte Cristo, give them Gankutsuou. I've only seen one episode so far, but I believe my enjoyment has been greatly enhanced by reading CoMC first.

The bird is struggling out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world. [The bird is flying to God. The name of the God is called Abraxas.]

#18 | Back to Top12-20-2008 10:21:19 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

I started my ex on Hellsing and Tenchi Muyo. We thought both shows hilarious, so....

I got my cousin hooked with two shows: Real Ghost Stories and Princess Tutu. I watched it in the original Japanese and I figured it was an interesting little show... until I put on the dub, which is all sorts of hilarious but a bit more adult than I would have liked for showing to a twelve year old.

...it was one of my two collection DVDs of first episodes. The other notable animes on them? Gankutsuo and Irresponsible Captain Tyler. She also loved my DVD of Sailormoon uncut. Damn you, Geneon...

I have a friend who I'll be introducing to Utena by way of "Tracing a Path" as soon as I can get into my old apartment. It'll be her first anime, but my friends have a lot of reasons to like and be touched by it.

For the older guys, you gotta put on Crayon Shin-Chan. That show has gawdawful arts but it fecking HILARIOUS. Perfect especially for lovers of Family Guy.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#19 | Back to Top12-20-2008 10:54:44 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

>.>

<.<

>.>

The first "anime" I ever watched was Science Team Gatchaman, though it was Battle of the Planets here in the US and I had no idea how altered it was until much later in life. I didn't know it was Japanese at the time.

The first anime I watched knowing it was anime was Akira, Vampire Hunter D, and Golgo 13: The Professional.

After that, it was the first miniseries of Record of Lodoss War (ASHRAM and PIROTESS for the MOTHERFUCKING WIN! etc-wankdude), Devil Hunter Yohko, and the first Angel of Darkness movie.

But my true gateway drug was Sailor Moon, especially once I started watching the subs.

However - as far as suggestions go...

the first thing I normally show people is Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star)
Short, beautifully animated, and a haunting story.

Last edited by Ashnod (12-20-2008 11:05:01 AM)

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#20 | Back to Top12-20-2008 11:41:44 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Ranma 1/2 cause it's so funny all the time, and I don't know anyone who hated it nor never enjoyed it! emot-biggrin
(Just not the Movies!)

The first animes I've watched were Yu Yu Hakusho and Sailor Moon, but what REALLY got me into watching anime was Rurouni Kenshin. Back then I thought anime were just for kids, but watching this anime greatly proved me wrong etc-love

EDIT: If he/she wants action, try Claymore, Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Hellsing, etc.

Mellow animes are Emma: Victorian Romance, Lady Oscar?? emot-confused

Last edited by Stephanie (12-20-2008 11:44:10 AM)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/Chosen_entity/Etcetera/621ed118do3-1.jpg
"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
Bigger than ourselves and our dreams.."
~FMA

Maria-sama Forum, My YouTube Account

#21 | Back to Top12-20-2008 03:17:16 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

My first animes were courtesy of my brother. ( I love you man) it was Johnny Appleseed, Akira, Street Fighter and Transformers.  Then I got into Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo ( the whole ole skool Toonami block) and of course, I had the thick, pulpy Right Stuf catalog that just had some of the best descriptions for all kinds of good stuff.

But you have to start with Akira. etc-love

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#22 | Back to Top12-21-2008 05:49:16 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

You shouldn't watch "starter" animes; that implies that somehow all anime is the same and you just need a gateway to the thing, and you're hooked to it all - a bit like some people imagine about drugs. emot-rolleyes
I would suggest thinking what kind of movies, TV shows and books you like, and seeking a genre fitting to that taste, and going from there. The people who think that anime sucks are the ones who watched one or two examples they didn't like, and decided that it's all the same - don't let that happen to anyone you know.

My first anime experience were Porco Rosso and dubbed Ghost in the Shell, neither which I could appreciate at the time, but thankfully didn't completely turn me off from the Japanese pop culture.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#23 | Back to Top12-21-2008 06:42:50 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I'd recommend either Ruroni Kenshin or Spirited Away. The former is deep but still has mass appeal, and the latter proves that anime isn't all about violence. My gateway anime was DBZ, but I don't recommend it because most people's gripe with it is that the battles take way too long.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#24 | Back to Top12-21-2008 07:26:46 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Lightice wrote:

You shouldn't watch "starter" animes; that implies that somehow all anime is the same and you just need a gateway to the thing, and you're hooked to it all

Actually, the way I interpret a "starter" title is one that is, for whatever reason, easily accessible for someone to get their feet wet as far as the medium, as it were.  It doesn't need to imply something that is of 'lesser' value or that everything is the same. Just like any other medium, what we enjoy is based on our own interests.

I imagine the intent of this thread was to recommend good accessible shows for someone who is unfamiliar with the medium and to dispel the "all anime is pokemon, dbz, or hentai" myth.  I don't think it has anything to do with implying that all anime is the same.

Everyone's first series is different, but lots of people in the same age bracket share a first title.  I hear lots of people around my age say that Gundam Wing is what made them start to pay attention.  That's the one that got me too.  Do I think that every single show out there is a carbon copy of Gundam Wing?  Of course not.  There are many shows that I think are better, and there are some that aren't as good either.

I don't see the harm in recommending titles that have a general appeal.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#25 | Back to Top12-21-2008 07:52:40 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

I think Slayers is a great starter anime. It's fun for all ages and has a little bit of everything to enjoy.

I second Ranma 1/2, as well.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

Board footer