This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top11-06-2006 08:41:41 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Re: Games, yay!

Sanguine_Rose wrote:

Thank you! a Suikoden 2 fan!!! emot-biggrin I think i wouldn't have been as disappointed about 5 if they hadn't hyped it up as 'THE SUCESSOR TO SUIKODEN 2' (which it wasn't).

My wife and I played through Suikoden 5 in record time because we loved it quite as much as we loved Suikoden 2.  Suikoden 1 and 2 were chock-full of angst, and 2 really has the angsty opening to end all angsty openings.  But 5 has the best female characters of the entire freaking series (in a series that's known for its excellent female characters).  We could even pretend, for a while, that the Prince was a girl. emot-smile  And we enjoyed the Prince as a character -- he had vastly more personality than, say, Hero McDohl in 1, and I found him immensely likeable compared to Chris Lightfellow/Geddoe/Annoying multi-colored-hair brat in 3.

We were both disappointed with 3 and 4 (to the point that we still haven't managed to finish them).  We recently picked up Suikoden Tactics, and the wife is really enjoying it -- more coherent story than Final Fantasy Tactics, with a lot of the successful bits of FF worked in, plus some of our favorite characters from 4.

In general, I find the Suikoden series superior to Final Fantasy anyway.  I really enjoyed FF IX and FF VII, but I've been pretty much crushingly disappointed in FFX and FFX2 (a disappointment that would be alleviated if only they'd bloody well make the horrible horrible voices optional).  Still, even though I enjoyed FFIX and FFVII, they still had fundamental flaws in the female characters that made me really angry.

Love both the Katamari games.  Play them until my thumbs are about to fall off.  Planning to roll up the million roses by hand.

Currently playing Champions of Norrath, because we were in a mood for hack and slash we could do together.  We amuse ourselves by reading the subtitles in high, squeaky voices that drown out the Really Bad voices of the characters. :}

#77 | Back to Top11-06-2006 12:10:41 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

AARGH! *wants to play the first two Suikodens badly* I bought Suikoden 3 on a pure whim and LOVED the principle behind the game, even though the bloody thing is so linear. I really don't like linear games much, even though that's all I play. >>;;;

I'm playing Chrono Cross, with the ultimate goal to aquire ALL THE CHARACTERS. I will do it. See if I don't. Oh, and actually finish it once.

I'm playing Kingdom Hearts, and liking it way too much. *stabs the annoying Little Mermaid world that has gotten her stuck and unable to proceed with plot* I borrowed it from a friend so I could understand a lot of her FF pairings and ended up liking the silly thing.

I'm playing two Castlevania games: Symphony of the Night and Lament of Innocence. I'm not liking Symphony as much as I did when I was playing it when I was 12, but I do adore Lament, for some reason. I'm currently hoping I can find a copy of the new PS2 Castlevania game (... Curse of something? It's got a C in the title somewhere.... what is it called!?) for my birthday. But I want the Lament-guy's JACKET. etc-love And the Castlevania art is SEXY.

I'm also playing Phantom Brave, which is terribly linear but has awesome replay value. emot-keke I etc-love that game.

What's that farming game? Oh. Harvest Moon. I was getting such a kick out of that game too. I'd like to get a copy of it. *yells* Takakura, stop molesting my chickens and cows! *coughs* Uh, anyway....

Oh. And Final Fantasy 1. I wanna cosplay a Red Wizard!!

I also really enjoy the original Gauntlet game on the...... oh, what system? One of the early Nintendoes, I belive. "Blue Valkrie is IT." "Red Warrior is very hungry." Hehe.

And the only PC game I like is the Diablo series. *amused grin*

Last edited by Lady Chani (11-06-2006 12:11:12 PM)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#78 | Back to Top11-06-2006 01:11:34 PM

Sanguine_Rose
Juri Jeerer

tohubohu wrote:

if only they'd bloody well make the horrible horrible voices optional).

ha ha ha, isn't it always the way? Still, I'm glad most people likes Suiko 5. I just wish I did...emot-frown Plus I wish they would put more effort into the intro's like they did in 2. I'm gutted Sukio 3 never came out over here. The girls in Suikoden 5 really are nice. Though every time Sialeeds came on screen I wasn't looking at her face. I swear those things draw you in.

I'm playing Dark Cloud 2 which is so addictive. I'm synthing my weapons like some sort of diseased obsessive.

Road Trip Adventure is also a really damn good game even though it was widely panned. i love being in a land full of cute talking cars.

When Patrick Stewart says "Come", WE ALL COME.

#79 | Back to Top11-06-2006 01:32:47 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

tohubohu wrote:

Currently playing Champions of Norrath, because we were in a mood for hack and slash we could do together.  We amuse ourselves by reading the subtitles in high, squeaky voices that drown out the Really Bad voices of the characters. :}

Awww, why play half-ass Everquest? emot-tongue

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#80 | Back to Top11-06-2006 02:03:31 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I'm a Zelda fanatic. I can't help it; I was raised on the stuff. So I'm very eagerly awating my very own Legend of the Twilight Princess, which I believe, is the darkest of the series yet. Very exciting. Other than that, I play Four Days in Ohtori often. I can't read Japanese, so most of the time I yell at my TV like so: What the hell are you saying Utena? ><'' Wakaba, shut up!" and so on. Sometimes I think it's nice that EVERY SINGLE LINE the characters have is done with a voice over, and sometimes I think I'll break my controller by rapidly beating the A button to get to the next part. I still love that game, though.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#81 | Back to Top11-06-2006 06:35:48 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I'm sorry! emot-gonk What will it be? Fifty lashes? A night on the rack?

Wow, dont' put ideas into my head. emot-wink

Giovanna wrote:

Also what's this Alucard mating with the bat? I don't remember this. You don't actually see Batcard humping away at his familiar do you? emot-gonk I DON'T REMEMBER THIS. I tried to get the sword to 99 too, but I gave up around 70. I've also managed to clear almost the whole map, but that very same mystical room still escapes. (I remember it took twenty minutes to cover the waterfall in the catacombs.)

When Alucard goes into bat-shape with the bat familiar out it does a little etc-love and flies around with him. As the familiar levels up a second bat will appear during bat flight, and then a third. I think you can have a total of four bats following Bat-Alucard around, but the most I've gotten is three. Given that the original bat is quite taken with Alucard in this form, where else could these extra bats be coming from? emot-dance

The waterfall area does take a bit of wall humping to map properly, that's what makes us dedicated players!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#82 | Back to Top11-06-2006 08:41:08 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

UtenaFanGirl wrote:

Yasha wrote:

G&Ysnumber1fan wrote:

Why..I am a Square-Enix fan, and SQUARE BETTER NOT BE JUST MAKING A FF7 For PS3 trailer just to show the capabilities of it on PS3, STOP TEASING US DAG NAB IT!!!!!!

DAMN RIGHTS. emot-mad Square makes me SO MAD, I loved FF8, and I really, really liked FF7, and since then I haven't enjoyed any of the Final Fantasy games I've tried and then they keep teasing me with stuff like Advent Children (horrible movie. Absolutely beautiful to look at, but still horrible,) and promises of a totally redone Aeris getting stabbed scene and Sephiroth and just wow and then they fuck it all up by saying it's just the demo for a group who wants to do work for them or it's just some idea they're considering and JUST STOP TEASING ME ALREADY. emot-frown

ummmmm actually they have FF13 trailers for PS3 so no FF7 lol but FF13 looks to be cool (its a girl main character kicking arse)
it was shown in E3 so thats the latest scoop on what square enix is heaing ...just go toyou tube to see FF13 but if you want a little higher quality http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2649

or on main site http://www.square-enix.co.jp/e306/title … ailer.html

oh an ps the girl main character looks like cloud and squall combind in to a female fusion lol T_T hurray for gunblades!

Well, Square has satisfyed my need for someone to make  Maneater by Nelly Furtado into an AMV with Yuna from FFX-2 and from the trailers for FF13 things seem to be looking up.
HOWEVER
I DEMAND THAT THEY REMAKE BOTH FF7 and FF8 for PS3, I may be greedy..and that is so wrong, but really, it will be like...really good for their company's profits, you know like a 10 year anniversary edition or something like that...grr, that's it I'm going to play on gaiaonline.

Akio..and James Brown(R.I.P.) have two things in common:
1)They are sex machines...
2)They are the only ones that could possibly make jumping over the windshield of a car look effortless..

#83 | Back to Top11-07-2006 12:19:17 AM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

what is gaia online really...tolazy to loomka nd rather have you give me input

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#84 | Back to Top11-07-2006 08:59:49 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Awww, why play half-ass Everquest? emot-tongue

Because we don't really want to play online.  If we did, I'd be all over City of Heroes.

#85 | Back to Top11-07-2006 12:56:37 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

UtenaFanGirl wrote:

what is gaia online really...tolazy to loomka nd rather have you give me input

Well, Gaia Online is like Ragnarok, without the leveling up and you can make certain avatars by buying clothes and furniture for them to have in their houses. Avatars like mine can be customized to their owner's desire for example:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l83/Nike206/untitled.jpg

here's the link for more...www.gaiaonline.com

It's really addictive, you have various forums for about everything under the sun, and yes even guilds that you can create or join. I'm in the Shojo-Ai/Yuri one.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to figure out how to make my contact table on my website a little more smaller because despite the words from the costumized table that I have for it are shown, you still have look at the bottom of the window screen to know if you are going to the "add me" page or the "message" page and so forth.

Last edited by G&Ysnumber1fan (11-07-2006 12:59:34 PM)

2)They are the only ones that could possibly make jumping over the windshield of a car look effortless..

#86 | Back to Top11-07-2006 01:11:49 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I used to post on Gaia all the time under the account name Razara. I joined in 2004 and I have 7,863 posts. About 1,000 of those posts are from the Halloween event last year. Now my avatar looks absolutely horrible... Less than 100 out of over 1,000,000 people have an avatar like mine, so I can't bring myself to change it back, even if I am a scary zombie with a green bunny on my head.

Gaia was a lot better when I first joined, but now it's nearly impossible to have a decent conversation there.

#87 | Back to Top11-07-2006 01:20:49 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Yeah, actually my outfit has a glitch, so I am lucky that mine came that way, it makes it more special..

#88 | Back to Top11-07-2006 01:50:15 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

meh i guess i'll make a gaia account too it shall be...OujisamaUtena ...lol i dont know how often i would play it

Last edited by UtenaFanGirl (11-07-2006 01:51:12 PM)

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#89 | Back to Top11-07-2006 01:57:28 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

G&Ysnumber1fan wrote:

Yeah, actually my outfit has a glitch, so I am lucky that mine came that way, it makes it more special..

I love avatar glitches. XD; One of my other accounts has no arms, another is invisible, and I once had the glitch that Irate Camel was famous for.

#90 | Back to Top11-07-2006 03:03:43 PM

Kanashimi
Juri Jeerer
Website

I'm still an avid Gaian, I've been on since 2003. I'm Kanashimi, sure, I'll lose interest because really all it is is a big forum and the only way to get money is posting, messaging other people, or surfing the site (and they're a lot like Neopets without the games); regardless, I always come back to it to make my avatar look spiffy. Big problem is lots of newbies and their weird talk, can't understand them for crap.

#91 | Back to Top11-07-2006 03:51:43 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Haha, I'm sure you will all get a laugh out of my page on Gaia:eyeroll:...any Utena fan should know what it is refering to.emot-dance

#92 | Back to Top11-07-2006 08:08:02 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Razara wrote:

I used to post on Gaia all the time under the account name Razara. I joined in 2004 and I have 7,863 posts. About 1,000 of those posts are from the Halloween event last year. Now my avatar looks absolutely horrible... Less than 100 out of over 1,000,000 people have an avatar like mine, so I can't bring myself to change it back, even if I am a scary zombie with a green bunny on my head.

Gaia was a lot better when I first joined, but now it's nearly impossible to have a decent conversation there.

Except in guilds. There seems to be lesser amounts of stupid in guilds, if any.

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#93 | Back to Top11-08-2006 01:43:46 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Speaking of online games, does anyone here play Ragnarok? I'm looking to start up an account, and it would be great to RP with SKU fans. emot-dance (I think I'll either be going with the free servers Anima RO or Ancient RO.) I'd love to have a SKU fan for a Ragnarok Sempai.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#94 | Back to Top11-08-2006 02:37:58 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

i got tired of rag a while back...i was on anima ro for a bit but then i just stopped

i was a knight (well remember the fanart section)

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#95 | Back to Top11-08-2006 02:45:57 PM

Kanashimi
Juri Jeerer
Website

G&Ysnumber1fan wrote:

Haha, I'm sure you will all get a laugh out of my page on Gaia:eyeroll:...any Utena fan should know what it is refering to.emot-dance

That was very charming, I laughed my butt off. emot-keke

#96 | Back to Top11-08-2006 07:15:28 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

belladonna wrote:

Speaking of online games, does anyone here play Ragnarok? I'm looking to start up an account, and it would be great to RP with SKU fans. emot-dance (I think I'll either be going with the free servers Anima RO or Ancient RO.) I'd love to have a SKU fan for a Ragnarok Sempai.

I'm on Anima, but not that much. emot-keke

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#97 | Back to Top11-08-2006 08:53:13 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I just started a pretty amazing fantasy adventure game on my brand new PS2: Shadow of the Collosus.  What a beautiful and cinematic game!  The play is very minimalist, but it's all about discovery and strategy, with some puzzle elements mixed in.

The game starts with some backstory... our hero's beloved seems to have passed on, and he has come to a temple of sorts in a strange land to wish for her revival.  An omnipresent voice tells him that by seeking and destroying the eight (I think) Collosi that roam the land, her soul can be returned from the beyond, so he must set out to find and destroy these beasts with little more than his horse to get around, and his sword and bow & arrow.

It really feels as if you're watching a fantasy movie rather than playing a game, and the Collosi that you have to fight really are huge.  You almost feel sorry for the beasts that you have to slay.

Except for the Collosi, there are no other enemies to encounter.  I've only defeated one so far, but it's a very engaging game, and half of the fun is just roaming the land.  No time limits, no power-ups, just you, your horse, and your weapons.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#98 | Back to Top11-09-2006 02:59:04 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I played RO back in the day, and wouldn't mind playing again. O: I like MMOs a lot, but as I mentioned before they tend to give me odd psychosomatic adult health problems I play games and watch cartoons to avoid getting. An ulcer would suck, especially if it came from not lvling my character fast enough on WoW. emot-gonk

And zomg. Shadow of the Colossus. Like I mentioned, I have a hard time getting into games dese dayse but this and Ico had me pretty hard. (If you haven't played Ico I suggest it. oemot-smile The design is gorgeous, and it's a lot more strategy/puzzle-based than you'd think, which is probably why I like it. No real monsters you can just swing at. Almost entirely based on trying to find clever ways to get at the boss' weak spot, and they get harder every time. (which is part of what makes it so fun) I was up all night when I had work the next day beating a few.

I really hope there's more like that coming up.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#99 | Back to Top11-09-2006 11:16:44 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

Hinotori wrote:

I played RO back in the day, and wouldn't mind playing again. O: I like MMOs a lot, but as I mentioned before they tend to give me odd psychosomatic adult health problems I play games and watch cartoons to avoid getting. An ulcer would suck, especially if it came from not lvling my character fast enough on WoW. emot-gonk

ah yes health problems...since i got school and work and gaming...not much room to eat, sleep, and life

which i have lost bout 15lb but it aint so much as not leveling my character in wow...but i like gaining gold and twinking

but yeah i know i'm gonna die young anyways

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#100 | Back to Top11-18-2006 12:00:02 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I'm playing Final Fantasy XII right now!

I think I have played all of the FF games after VII.

Suikoden V was the only game that made me really want to search for fanfiction.

I mainly stick to PS2 rpgs, only recently when I upgraded my computer to a mega-bomb level, did I grab Oblivion and try to play. Unfortunately, I discovered by accident an internal cheat which allows unlimited items, which I couldn't stop myself from using, but which actually ruined the fun of that game so that I rarely play.

Curious to know, did anyone sleep outside for the rights to a Playstation 3...yesterday, was it?
My friend waited in Atlanta, he was number 25 in line, the next morning only 20 units were distributed so he went home empty-handed.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

Board footer