This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-28-2016 11:30:50 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Why did Utena never get a physical release in Europe?

It appears that Utena only had DVD and VHS releases in Japan and the US. After some digging around it appears that Manga Entertainment holds the distribution rights in Europe (or UK at the very least). However it seems that all they've done with it is uploaded the series to the Playstation Store (how's the dub btw? since its the only version they have). Meanwhile in the US, Utena got limited edition DVD sets 5 years ago and normal DVD releases way before that so does anyone know why it's the case that Utena has never had a physical release (not even VHS ffs) in Europe? Because I highly doubt it's due to lack of demand.

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#2 | Back to Top03-25-2016 07:54:31 PM

pesimistamente
Anthy Assailer

Re: Why did Utena never get a physical release in Europe?

It did get a release in Spain, in both Catalan and Spanish if I'm correct. It was also broadcasted on TV... on children's section emot-gonk

#3 | Back to Top04-05-2016 03:26:35 PM

PolarKoala
New Student

The english dub is rather painful. It sorta gives the impression that all the VA's are bored college students getting paid $50 an episode.

I can only imagine the market isn't big enough for it.

#4 | Back to Top04-26-2016 02:39:30 AM

Illya's Song
New Student

Well, in Italy we the DVDs (even the Memorial Box) and the manga. I don't like the Italian dub, though. Even if I heard that they did a good job with translation, I hadn't the guts to watch it in Italian because the VA were so wrong.

#5 | Back to Top04-26-2016 11:31:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Illya's Song wrote:

Well, in Italy we the DVDs (even the Memorial Box) and the manga. I don't like the Italian dub, though. Even if I heard that they did a good job with translation, I hadn't the guts to watch it in Italian because the VA were so wrong.

The voices really didn't fit well at all, no. I did watch some of it in Italian and some of the characters are literally different people because of the vocals. It's a shame though because it seemed like the performances were pretty decent overall--the casting just sucked. As opposed to the English dub which was both full of terrible casting, and poorly acted. (I vaguely recall Miki's voice actor sounding older than Akio's.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer