This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top07-22-2007 05:34:15 AM

secret_lover_of_tenjou
Framed Landscaper
Website

Re: HARRY POTTER DISCUSSION THREAD HERE!!!

yeah, i've been working my ass off lately at work, and i'm not a huge HP fan (although after seeing the last movie, i think i'll do some more wiki-reading on the subject before the next movie comes out next year.)  anywho, i found it interesting that within the same day of the book's release, the wikipedia page was instantaneously updated with the full details of the plot and just about any spoiler known to man.  at least this was kinda cool to see if the internet spoilers were correct or not.

the ultimate list of dead characters in HP7

synopsis for non-HP fans or spoiler nuts who didn't get the book yet

HP fans who didn't read the book in one sitting or don't want to get spoiled,  don't click.

hooray wikipedia!

sayonara IRG, 6/13/2010, 3:43AM EDT

#77 | Back to Top07-23-2007 03:01:29 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

Phew! Sorta finished. And I can't wait to come back here. It's nice, yet I feel it's a bit slow in the middle, it nearly made me flip right to the end. Yeah, I took quite a bit of determination to refrain myself from doing that. Would anyone kindly answer me a question, though: who became the next Hogwarts Headmaster?

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#78 | Back to Top07-23-2007 03:14:31 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I'd like to think it Was McGonagall. I always pegged her for the next headmaster.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#79 | Back to Top07-23-2007 03:17:05 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

morosemocha wrote:

I'd like to think it Was McGonagall. I always pegged her for the next headmaster.

Thanks, she would appear as a really strict Headmistress, though.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#80 | Back to Top07-23-2007 04:00:00 AM

Toulouse
Saionji Slapper

I was rather pleased with the book. I did feel some of the deaths were rather understated and there was an excess of ignoring the one hour rule of polyjuice potion. I think I need to do a slow re-read of the book before making a final judgment if it is my favorite or not.

Oh, and Mrs. Weasley wins for the best line in the entire series.

#81 | Back to Top07-23-2007 05:51:16 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Here's a link to a perfect fan video on youtube, depicting Snape and Lily's quazi-romance through fan art, to the song of Unchained Melody. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q69ZJkC- … mp;search=

Reply to Satyreyes spoiler summary which contains more spoilers:

Neville deserved a mention in the epilogue...I was too busy trying to keep track of all those little kids, and who belonged to which parents, and too excited and exhilarated to notice at the time, but Neville is mentioned as being Professor Longbottom. ^___^

Also, I failed to notice that even Hagrid seems to still be alive and well as Harry mentions to one of the children, "Don't forget Hagrid invited you to tea!" That's so nice to know, I have such a soft spot for Hagrid. After The Seven Potters chapter when Hagrid has a close call, I was terrified when the next chapter was titled: Fallen Warrior. Course, immediately relieved to see it wasn't Hagrid at all, but Moody.

I noticed that the trio, Harry, Ron, Hermione all drank quite a bit throughout this book. In the last, I think I remember Ron getting sick on a Butterbeer. But every other chapter of the Deathly Hallows, they seemed to be slugging down firewhiskey! Not that I'm complaining in the least, I think it reinforces the fact to us that they aren't 11 year old First Years any longer. There was also a parade of dirty jokes that were cut off right before they became dirty. "For the love of Merlin's saggy left..." comes to mind! I wonder if the adult version in the UK actually has the finished insults. Then, speaking of dark matters, there's the subject of what drove Ariana crazy. I read that scene as a sexual assault. Sure, you might be traumatized if you were physically beaten up, but physical wounds tend to heal after the initial damage is done, what leaves mental scars  - what would make a little girl go crazy and retreat into herself? There's absolutely NO evidence in the book that this is what actually happened, we aren't told. Aberforth just says, "The boys got carried away when she couldn't perform the trick again." But, being an adult, I read that as a sexual assault. I wonder who else did the same?

I wasn't prepared for the heavy anti-Dumbledore sentiment sprinkled throughout the entire book. But, we learn of his imperfections, which makes him more "human". The hardcore fans I was waiting in line with, when I asked them to give me a quick summary of book 6 before we had our 7th, they told the tale and when Dumbledore would reveal something secret and Harry would question how he knew that, they would point at their foreheads and say: Cause he's Dumbledore! He was like the all-knowing, almost Christ-like figure ( his goodness) I think revealing some of his flaws, while it disturbed me as I was reading them, all served a purpose to make his character more humane. Like we do with SKU, the more flaws revealed the more likely they are to be characters we identify with. Dumbledore from the previous books was someone to be worshipped and exalted. The real Dumbledore with flaws, is someone we can find similarities within ourselves to relate to. Taking this stance, I find it much easier, well I actually embrace the revelation of Dumbledore's weaknesses.

And Snape. My God! What a tragic love affair, his allegiance to the memory of the dead girl he loved. Waiting to buy the book, several of the girls in line remarked how HOT Allan Rickman (the actor who plays Snape in the movie) was. I was thoroughly disgusted. I knew Snape would be revealed as a good guy, but I was unprepared to see how completely selflessly good he had lived. Especially by forcing Dumbledore to keep his goodness a secret, I had mistrusted him throughout every single book - until the 6th one where my suspicions of his allegiance changed. He seemed like such an unsympathetic character to me. But now, I LOVE Snape's actor too! ;____; Snape, the victim of life-long unrequited love. In just one book, Snape becomes my favorite character. While I was reading about the Silver Doe patronus, I had my suspicion that it was Snape...but since my memory of the other books always fail me, and I knew Snape was the head of the house of Slytherin...I just assumed his patronus was a serpent, and I wouldn't be able to confirm or deny this without getting online and finding a website to search patronuses - which I didn't want to break out of the book to do so. So I let the thought linger in my mind, but assumed that Snape must have cast a patronus I had forgotten... though, with his interest in Dark Magic, and being a "friend of Death Eaters" I doubt he did cast a patronus in the earlier books. It would be interesting to see if anyone else, who DID know that Snape hadn't cast a patronus, was also suspecting that he was the one who lead Harry to the sword?

I read through fan comments on mugglenet to see what the majority reaction was. Here's the most hilarious snippet...
                                 snape_is_evil (8 hours ago):
                                  It is apparent to me that I now need to change my user name.

The other main complaint I noticed from about half the comments, was that alot of fans are complaining about the Epilogue being too sugary-sweet. Didn't fit with usual tone of the story, (yeah, it was happy when we all expected sad, that's good though, IMO) or JK's usual style of writing in cryptic codes. However, as this was the last book, other fans defend that segment saying it was Rowling’s gift to her readers. Leaving us with something pure and simple and sweet.

The other complains, that only fans who would have dissected the other books would come up with, were these: Apparently JK Rowling, or one of the books, said that in book 7 a Muggle would be forced to use magic late in life, due to some threatening circumstance. That was not addressed in the book. Could it have been Neville's grandmother? Another, was that JK apparently said she was going to reveal what Dudley's worst memory was, when the Dementor attacked him we know he was afraid, but not why... so somehow the fans had it in their minds that Dudley's worst memory was to be made public knowledge in the 7th book and that did not happen. Everyone also wanted to know about the Mysterious Veil hidden in the depths of the Ministry. Lastly, and most puzzling, was that everyone is griping about not knowing the significance of Harry's eyes being so like Lily's. I had forgotten this, but Harry uses his "Lily-eyes" to get the memory away from Slughorn in the 6th book, so JK Rowling was emphasizing his Lily-eyes even then. I think it's clear that his Lily-eyes give meaning to Snape's last words, but also probably played a part in making Snape, throughout the entire adventure, remember his purpose and his mission. Each time he looked Harry in the eyes, he would be reminded of his love and his purpose. DIRTY ROTTEN MIS-UNDERSTOOD SNAPE, I hated him for so long and now I just completely idolize him!!! What a beautiful life. ;_____;

I loved Mrs. Weasley's line too. "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" Also the one from Neville, "Gran’s on the run!" Wasn't Neville always frightened in the previous books, about his grandmother's approval? I think it was amazing to make Neville, who I remembered as sort of a coward, turn into a champion by the end. And I agree that Narcissa impressed me with her suddenly revealing that the love for her son was over and above her political allegiance.

Mostly though, what the fans are saying is that: "It's over!!! *cries* I can't believe it ended. I began this book in elementary school, now I'm out of high school, this book marks the ending of my childhood." The most over dramatic comment I heard was on the news, "As I read the last few chapters, each word was like a death toll!"

So, again, I think JK Rowling did an excellent job closing her series. I am sad to see it go, but I hope she finds some inspiration in the future. She's certainly left plenty of doors open should she wish to do so.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#82 | Back to Top07-23-2007 04:23:31 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

My wife ordered the special edition. it has yet to arrive. so we ended up buying a second copy.
She finished the book in one night, I took two days.

I arrived late on the HP band waggon, jumping on only after seeing the first movie on DVD.
since then i have been an avid fan of the books, getting each one on release from Order of the Pheonix to Deathly Hallows.

I finshed book 7 at 5 am this morning.
I feel deep down that, after establishing a knowing feeling about the characters and relating most with the Weaslys.

I feel that the closing was very adiquit, but i feel empty and sad inside. I dont think i can ever read the series again because of those who die. even now i feel on the verge of tears and i dont think i will ever be the same.

I realize that its fiction, but sometimes a series will suck you in so deeply that it loses that fake feel. its like you become apart of that world.

Its affected me greatly.

We all have our own little addictions.

#83 | Back to Top07-23-2007 09:37:02 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

Frosty wrote:

I hope she finds some inspiration in the future. She's certainly left plenty of doors open should she wish to do so.

AS/S stories Yes/Yes?

Last edited by alexielnet (07-23-2007 09:37:45 PM)

#84 | Back to Top07-23-2007 10:19:02 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

alexielnet wrote:

Frosty wrote:

I hope she finds some inspiration in the future. She's certainly left plenty of doors open should she wish to do so.

AS/S stories Yes/Yes?

emot-gonk I'm waiting for that slash to start hitting devart. emot-gonk emot-gonk

#85 | Back to Top07-24-2007 11:21:17 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

First I have to start off with, I won a free copy! Totally dressed up as Harry Potter, was the sexiest one their (Pictures are coming!) and I won the costume contest! WOOT!

Last edited by Sevelle (07-24-2007 11:23:16 PM)

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#86 | Back to Top07-24-2007 11:32:01 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Congratulations on the win, Sevelle!!! I can't wait to see! emot-dance

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

#87 | Back to Top07-26-2007 08:58:53 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

Sevelle wrote:

First I have to start off with, I won a free copy! Totally dressed up as Harry Potter, was the sexiest one their (Pictures are coming!) and I won the costume contest! WOOT!

>.<POSTPOSTPOSTPOSTPOSTPOSTPOSTPOST>.<

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#88 | Back to Top07-27-2007 05:41:55 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

Sevelle wrote:

Great! Can't wait to see your pic. emot-dance

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#89 | Back to Top07-30-2007 12:12:00 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/Ohtori/MyselfasHarryPotter.jpg

Yeah . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/Ohtori/Imprankin.jpg

I like this one better, if only I had pictures of my fan girl stalkers.

you said

#90 | Back to Top07-30-2007 12:33:34 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Oh God, come to me Potter!!! etc-love A cute boy surrounded by a wall of books = heaven!!! etc-love Sevelle, I'd be interested in the stalking position!!!

#91 | Back to Top07-30-2007 04:11:09 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Oh, goodness. etc-love

Cutest. Potter. EVER. *SMOOCHIEZ*

EDIT: Vampire!Snape would like to add that he'd "bite that." *snerk*

Last edited by Lady Nilamarthiel (07-30-2007 04:12:47 PM)

#92 | Back to Top07-30-2007 04:15:47 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Sevelle you are so freaking cute!!!

Please to be liking vagina RIGHT NOW. etc-love etc-love etc-love

#93 | Back to Top07-30-2007 05:12:46 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

Wow, cute! Actually, you remind me a little more of David Tennant than any one else. And that's hot emot-biggrin

#94 | Back to Top07-30-2007 05:47:36 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Pandora wrote:

Wow, cute! Actually, you remind me a little more of David Tennant than any one else. And that's hot emot-biggrin

OMG! Someone said that repeatedly during the party . . . and I was like I've no idea who that is. But I figured out he was the guy who played Barty Crouch Jr.

Oh and thanks guys! Making me blush.

Last edited by Sevelle (07-30-2007 05:54:31 PM)

you said

#95 | Back to Top07-30-2007 10:04:32 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Um, Sevelle? Yum. etc-wankdude

As for the book itself... well I nabbed it around elevenish and stayed up until four reading. One sitting.

And now my spoilery responses:

I found it gratifying to be right about Snape and his involvement in Dumbledore's death. I didn't like him much but he was important and I was convinced of his loyalty though I really couldn't tell you why. It certainly explains why his worst memory from Book 6 was in fact his worst memory - not only was he humiliated, it caused him to wedge himself permanently apart from Lily.

I also read the boys' attack on Ariana as sexual assault for exactly the reasons Frosty mentioned.

And satyreyes I'm amused by your "golden monkey" theory but I never saw much similarity between Umbridge and Mrs. Coulter. Bellatrix Lestrange seems a much better candidate for that comparison. I think her Patronus would be a cockroach - a horrible little thing that serves no obvious purpose but just won't die.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#96 | Back to Top07-30-2007 11:10:46 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I started with the first chapter of S'S and ended right there. I am out to prove that what is good is not always popular, and what is popular is not always good. I love harry potter, but I'd never read the books, considering the fact I have to cousins who dressed up and shit for the last three book releases, I get all I need to know from them. I was more thoroughly engrossed in Oryx and Crake.

Spoil away for me. What happened in the last book?

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#97 | Back to Top07-30-2007 11:16:07 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Oryx and Crake was an amazing book. I adore Margaret Atwood.

I tend to think that Harry Potter is popular because it's good. To me it's in the same vein as Xanth or Discworld. But that belongs on the book discussion thread. If you want to know what happens, go to the Wikipedia article, it has a good summary there.

#98 | Back to Top07-30-2007 11:34:15 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

And satyreyes I'm amused by your "golden monkey" theory but I never saw much similarity between Umbridge and Mrs. Coulter. Bellatrix Lestrange seems a much better candidate for that comparison. I think her Patronus would be a cockroach - a horrible little thing that serves no obvious purpose but just won't die.

Nah, Lestrange never pretended to be anything other than what she was -- an unrepentant Dark Wizard who liked nothing better than torturing and killing Muggle-borns.  Umbridge is much more Mrs. Coulter's spiritual kin; she's irredeemably evil, but she cloaks it in bureaucracy, talk of the greater good, and girlish smiles.  This is all just pretense, and she's not fooling herself with it -- internally, she needs no excuse for her actions -- but it allows her to win over people that matter for long enough to use them.  Further, she's no one's servant.  Umbridge is unique among the books' archvillains in that she is not a Death Eater, doesn't serve Voldemort, and (apart from a dislike of "half-breeds" like Hagrid and the centaurs) doesn't necessarily even share their philosophy; nor does she serve the Minister of Magic in any sense beyond the de jure, since he seems to bow to her every request for a new "educational decree."  Mrs. Coulter, similarly, is happy to pretend to be on Lyra's side, or Oxford's side, or Lord Asriel's side, or Metatron's side, depending on who can best serve her purposes at the moment, but (her final sacrifice excepted) she knows no loyalty to any person or cause except herself and her own.  The biggest difference between Mrs. Coulter and Umbridge, of course, is that they're at opposite poles of attractiveness.  I think that's partly because Harry Potter is a children's series, meaning that A) evil people tend to be ugly, and B) Rowling can't have Umbridge deploy sex on her own behalf like Mrs. Coulter did.  (Yeah, His Dark Materials is a young adult's series too, but after a grittier mold.)

And you're right, Lestrange's Patronus would totally be a cockroach emot-biggrin

Last edited by satyreyes (07-30-2007 11:36:35 PM)

#99 | Back to Top07-30-2007 11:39:24 PM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

Sevelle, then, I shall be Ginny emot-biggrin

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#100 | Back to Top07-30-2007 11:45:22 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Okay, you make a compelling case. As for the Patronus question, I know my syntax was bad but you know what I mean!

And Tenjou, if you're Ginny does that make me Cho?

Board footer