This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top08-09-2009 09:08:18 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Re: Vital Information for Your Everyday Life

Shark Week is over. emot-frown In recap of it, let's go over some Shark Trivia!

You are 1,000 times more likely to drown in the sea than you are to be bitten by a Shark.

The chance of being killed by a Shark is one in 300 million. The chance of being killed by airplane parts falling from the sky is one in 10 million.

Sharks attack around 100 people every year, only killing 5 to 10 of them. Up to 100 million Sharks are killed by people every year.

Sharks can smell one drop of blood in a million drops of water.

A Shark can hear a fish in the water from more than a mile away.

Eating Shark flesh is forbidden in both the Solomon and Fiji islands.

The Great White Shark have an enormous liver that can weigh up to 24 percent of its entire weight.

A Great White Shark may use and lose more than one thousand teeth in its life time.

Sharks are more closely related to Stingrays than they are to Barracudas.

Scientists estimate that after a big meal, larger Sharks can last up to three months before needing another one.

The teeth of a Whale Shark are no bigger than a match head.

Lantern Sharks can glow in the dark.

Apart from people, a Shark’s greatest enemy is another Shark. Most Sharks will happily eat any of their relatives, including members of their own species.

Most of the fish sold in British fish-and-chip shops are from Spiny Dogfish, one of the most abundant and heavily fished kinds of Shark.

Sharks kept in captivity have been known to grow 10 times their usual rate in the wild.

Boat builders in some parts of Africa rub the wood of a new craft with Hammerhead oil in the belief that it will ensure fair winds and successful voyages.

After mating, some female Sharks can retain the male’s sperm in their bodies for use when she is ready to reproduce, even if that does not happen until next season.

The Bull Shark can live in freshwater rivers and lakes.

Of the more than 350 species of Sharks, only 20 species are a threat to people.

Amanzimtoti Beach in South Africa is the most dangerous beach in the world for Shark attacks.

The Megamouth Shark is the rarest of the Shark species. It was discovered in 1976.

Experts believe that the Whale Shark may be capable of living up to 150 years, making it one of the longest-living creatures on Earth.

Bull Sharks have been seen swimming up the Mississippi River.

Sharks can sense weak electrical signals produced by the muscle movements of animals.

Shark skin was also used on the handles of swords so that a warrior's hands would not slip when they became sweaty.

Over half of the Shark species averages less than 1 meter long.

Last edited by dollface (08-09-2009 09:10:38 AM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#27 | Back to Top08-09-2009 09:36:50 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

dollface wrote:

After mating, some female Sharks can retain the male’s sperm in their bodies for use when she is ready to reproduce, even if that does not happen until next season.

That must make for some awkward conversations:

"So I'm pregnant and you're the father."

"But that was over a year ago!"

EDIT: whoops, forgot the trivia!

It has been demonstrated that many CD-ROM drives have rotational speeds capable of shattering CDs. Violently!

Last edited by Stormcrow (08-09-2009 09:38:00 AM)

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#28 | Back to Top08-15-2009 02:54:57 AM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

The hottest chili pepper known to man is the Ghost Chili, with a scoville score of over 1,000,000

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#29 | Back to Top08-15-2009 03:34:27 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

If you want to make ice cubes faster, you should pour HOT water into the ice cube tray instead of COLD.

This may sound illogical as common sense would claim that cold water would be faster but its true, hot water will end up freezing into ice sooner than cold water in those situations.

Last edited by Tamago (08-15-2009 03:48:40 AM)

#30 | Back to Top08-15-2009 04:01:16 AM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Whenever your professor wants you to read a scholarly book for class discussion, just read the introduction in the book and its reviews published by academic journals. That's all you need to gain an excellent overview of the book and you will have no problem answering questions in class.

#31 | Back to Top08-16-2009 02:06:46 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

and petting a shark feels fantastically smooth.
...unless you pet against its skin, it can apparently cut you.
....I've never tried out the last half though. D:
Generally, unless you're bleeding or flailing, they're pretty docile and you can swim with them. ...I've never been eaten by one anyway.

I think the electroreceptors in the shark are focused mainly in their head, and if you're in SHARKY TROUBLE, you're apparently supposed to beat them near their nose, and they should get disoriented and leave you alone. ...At least that's what they told us at diving business. They apparently use that as one of their main senses.  ..And something about lateral lines.

I think they're also supposed to always keep moving in order to breathe, but I think nurse sharks, and maybe a few others can lay at the bottom by keeping water moving over their gills.

...And thanks to Sir Poland and his underwater spiders, I can never sleep again. GOD DAMNED SPIDERS.

#32 | Back to Top08-20-2009 07:41:35 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

When dealing with electrocution, it the amps that do most of the damnage not the volts, which is why being struck by lightining is painful but survivable.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

Board footer