This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-07-2015 03:08:54 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

BUTTROCK! It's rock that sounds like butt!

Okay, so, Urban Dictionary says buttrock is:

1)A term to identify a band trademarked with cheap, unoriginal song lyrics; the vocalist hiding his lack of vocal talent by producing a deep and 'raspy' voice (i.e. Nickelback, Creed).

2)A term to identify any song composed by a buttrock band or any individual song which possesses buttrock qualities (see def. 1)

3) A term to identify anything, absract or concrete, that is distasteful, poorly concieved or overtly offensive.

I am mildly embarrassed to admit that I sort of listened to this when it was first coming out, but I'm actually more amused than anything else. My friend and boss Liv (from the restaurant I work at) has decided that the next time the big boss isn't at work with us, we're going to have a buttrock day.

Including things like this!

And this!

And this!

But we need suggestions. If I listen to those three all day, I'm going to die. And we decided that there's girl buttrock too, and the essence of girl buttrock is Evanescence.

I mean, really. Look at this.

Does anyone have any suggestions for more girl buttrock? I honestly can't think of any other bands with a girl fronting that fit that sort of aesthetic. I mean, there's Within Temptation, but they don't do the overprocessed orchestra shit the way Evanescence did and also they learned English just to sing their songs, and that gives them a pass. And I already know I don't like Nightwish. So, anyone got some stuff similar to Evanescence?

[I seriously unironically love this shit. I know it's shit, but still, I love it. And I love that Manson made a song just to make fun of this shit.
Sorry, it's the censored version. Still, that toe-sucking bit... oh god, my libido. Also, buttrock is terrible and I'm glad Manson disapproves.
]

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#2 | Back to Top03-07-2015 10:52:31 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Re: BUTTROCK! It's rock that sounds like butt!

Well, my musical tastes are aligned as far in the opposite direction from this sort of thing as possible so I'm afraid I don't have any direct contribution to make... however I do feel like sharing this video:

This particular dissertation against Nickelback is my absolute favorite. Just get through the first 90 seconds and you'll see emot-dance

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#3 | Back to Top03-08-2015 10:31:36 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I like Within Temptation.

Not even mad.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#4 | Back to Top03-09-2015 12:22:13 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

I haven't bought any music from artists that did not exit before year 2000. Now I listen to music everyday, but it is cello music or pre 2000 artists. The lyrics are slogans and shout outs. New music is mimics music from the 70's, 80's or 90's. I have that music already and would rather listen to the original. I have been listening to a lot of classical cello music now.

New music is all about fighting, sex, and materialism. The new music is shallow and dumb.

Last edited by yusaku (03-09-2015 12:24:36 AM)

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#5 | Back to Top03-09-2015 11:05:35 AM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Honestly, a thread about bands with audience backlash without Celine Dion? How could this happen?

Okay, it might not be rock per say, but it's melodramatic and was overly popular when it came out. In fact, if you look at 1990s- 2000 era movie tie in songs, they might serve you well for this.

Also, maybe some early Taylor Swift? It might be a bit harsh to say that the work of a teenaged girl who wrote most of her own work was among the leagues of Nickelback, but the fact that it sounds exactly like the thoughts of a privileged teenaged girl who has the budget of a major recording studio to back her diary can't really be avoided. It's another borderline case, but it's something to look into.

And related to Evanescence, maybe Nightwish? They might be better than to be listed as "buttrock" but honestly End of All Hope is over the top to the point of near incomprehensibility. Also, see any song that was over used in AMVs in the 2000s era. At least the (relatively) rad licks could be a nice break once and a while.

Though they are not female at any means, Linkin Park. Just... Linkin Park.

#6 | Back to Top03-09-2015 12:27:34 PM

Chrome Homura

Honestly it hurts me just a little bit inside to see End of all hope posted in this thread. It's not my favorite of their songs by any means, but it's still Tarja Turunen.

Post-Tarja Nightwish, on the other hand... definitely earns it's place here.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#7 | Back to Top03-09-2015 01:46:48 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I agree with Chrome, at one point in my life Nightwish was everything to me so I'm a bit bias but the Tarja-period was glorious and beautiul. And yes, post-Tarja NW is just not NW as far as I'm concerned. I do love Floor as a singer but I'd rather she had remained with After Forever and that Tuomas had simply called it quits on NW altogether.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (03-09-2015 01:47:39 PM)

#8 | Back to Top03-09-2015 01:48:45 PM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Chrome Homura wrote:

Honestly it hurts me just a little bit inside to see End of all hope posted in this thread. It's not my favorite of their songs by any means, but it's still Tarja Turunen.

I wasn't saying that what I posted was unlistenable, but I can see why someone could say it would be. Honestly I keep going back to it again and again!
And... wow. That's-
That's definitely good for this thread. Good job.

Maybe Limp Bizkit? That'll work, right?

#9 | Back to Top03-09-2015 06:23:37 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Simple Plan?  Trapt? That fucking one American Idol contestant who does rock?

#10 | Back to Top03-09-2015 07:27:23 PM

Chrome Homura

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

That fucking one American Idol contestant who does rock?

This made me laugh way, way harder than it should have. Thanks XD

zeedikay wrote:

Chrome Homura wrote:

I wasn't saying that what I posted was unlistenable, but I can see why someone could say it would be. Honestly I keep going back to it again and again!
And... wow. That's-

I would hope so. No worries, my inner skeptic certainly feels a twinge when I take a moment to look at Nightwish's lyrics (especially End of all Hope, now that you mention it) but the fact remains that while "incomprehensible" can suitably be used to describe some of their songs, it still comes out sounding amazing... because that's just what you get when your band has a vocalist who is simply world-class material.

Last edited by Chrome Homura (03-09-2015 07:32:38 PM)

#11 | Back to Top03-09-2015 07:42:49 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Chrome Homura wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

That fucking one American Idol contestant who does rock?

This made me laugh way, way harder than it should have. Thanks XD

zeedikay wrote:

Chrome Homura wrote:

And... wow. That's-

I would hope so. No worries, my inner skeptic certainly feels a twinge when I take a moment to look at Nightwish's lyrics (especially End of all Hope, now that you mention it) but the fact remains that while "incomprehensible" can suitably be used to describe some of their songs, it still comes out sounding amazing... because that's just what you get when your band has a vocalist who is simply world-class material.

^ ^ ^
This. Tarja's caliber as a singer becomes even more apparent live. I had the privilege of seeing NW live twice, once right before she left the band, and it was absolutely breath-taking. I for one actually enjoy NW's lyrics but it's the Oceanborn/Wishmaster period that really shines.
Incidentally, the current singer is very good as well, Floor was already an established singer in the genre with After Forever but she is not Tarja. For me NW without Tarja is simply not NW at all. As for Annette...urgh.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (03-09-2015 07:45:20 PM)

#12 | Back to Top03-10-2015 07:55:58 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

zeedikay wrote:

Also, maybe some early Taylor Swift? . . .

Though they are not female at any means, Linkin Park. Just... Linkin Park.

In a world that contains Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, The Band Perry, recent Maroon 5, almost every Christian rock band ever, and the cast of Glee, the artists you choose to call out for sounding like butt are early Taylor Swift and Linkin Park?  There really is no accounting for taste.  emot-confused

One of the most unpleasant musical experiences I've ever had was listening to three hours of Pandora's Coldplay station during a road trip with my sister-in-law, who, God bless her, is wonderful and sweet and could not identify good rock if she were at the Grand Canyon:

Yasha, Evanescence... okay, I see how you got there, but that is harsh for such a generation-defining act.  Amy Lee has talent.  As for me, The Band Perry is definitely my nominee for a female-fronted group that sounds like butt:

#13 | Back to Top03-11-2015 04:58:53 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I think we are starting to stray from the true heart of yasha's chosen buttrock defintion:  unoriginal lyrics + raspy, guttural mouth noises. 

So... Skrillex.  And I like Skrillex.  But they rocks the butts.  YOU'RE BETTER THAN DRUGS/ YOU'RE LOVE IS LIKE WINE

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (03-11-2015 04:59:10 PM)

#14 | Back to Top03-11-2015 05:13:50 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Kelly Clarkson is pretty butty, if she wasn't mentioned before. That may be the whole point of that genre of music but I still hear butt.

Board footer