This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#151 | Back to Top10-28-2013 04:16:45 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Re: Painted Ladies: All About Makeup (and Skin Care)

lex wrote:

The endless hunt for purple lipstick

Try Detrivore's lipgloss in Coraline. I'll post a link in a minute.

EDIT: Cancel that, they don't carry it anymore.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (10-28-2013 04:55:59 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#152 | Back to Top10-28-2013 06:03:00 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Raven Nightshade wrote:

lex wrote:

The endless hunt for purple lipstick

Try Detrivore's lipgloss in Coraline. I'll post a link in a minute.

EDIT: Cancel that, they don't carry it anymore.

Cora from Vintage or Tacky had good things to say about the Milani lipstick line, and I recall they have a pretty wide selection of purples and mauves.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#153 | Back to Top10-28-2013 06:39:26 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

OOOH now I have new things to try and excuses to buy more purple lipstick etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Thank you Raven and Mocha!emot-dance  (BTW, totally loved that you called me Smexy Lexy Mocha---I might steal that)

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#154 | Back to Top10-30-2013 06:15:59 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So was at Sephora picking up some eyeliner, since I am finally out of pencil and have been finding MAC's regular pencil a little too dry to apply easily (grabbed UD), and saw this: http://www.urbandecay.com/urban-decay/t … y/356.html

Given how much their primer potion rocks, I'm inclined to suspect this is actually a good product, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it out.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#155 | Back to Top10-30-2013 07:01:27 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Giovanna wrote:

So was at Sephora picking up some eyeliner, since I am finally out of pencil and have been finding MAC's regular pencil a little too dry to apply easily (grabbed UD), and saw this: http://www.urbandecay.com/urban-decay/t … y/356.html

Given how much their primer potion rocks, I'm inclined to suspect this is actually a good product, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it out.

It's pretty well-received, and I like applying make-up mists. They feel niiiiiiiice on the skin, especially if you want to make a very matte finish look more natural.  They can also help if you have dry skin or dry patches after application, which is more likely in dry winter weather (as well, during a time of year when slip-sliding cream foundations are more popular).  I also have concave, hooded eyes, so the mist helps out when the shadow I'm applying is too short wearing and crease-prone for a primer to handle alone.

Then again, I use the ELF make-up mist, which is like... 3 bucks.  It has some good stuff in it and does its job.

I just tried out MU4E's pro finish powder foundation.  It's crazy fucking matte, so if you don't get the precise shade for your skin it can look ruddy, but I'm pleased with it so far.  Looks fantastic worn alone, even better with a primer, and fucking controls oil.

#156 | Back to Top10-30-2013 11:46:25 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Giovanna wrote:

I bought the Chill version of the product you linked, because I figured I'd get the most use out of it due to living where I do. It definitely keeps things vibrant longer, and because it has chilling properties, it feels really nice upon initial application on really hot days.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#157 | Back to Top11-02-2013 06:24:34 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Finally broke out my Balm Jovi pallete from theBalm, and hot damn. etc-love  The shadows are gorgeous.  So pigmented and easy to apply.  It really takes natural light to do them justice.  I finally have the perfect opaque but blend-able gold shadow.  The blush that's included ain't a joke either -it applies like an even stain, though it's a powder.  The lip products are so-so, but I've yet to meet a lip pan product that was anything better than so-so, in particular when they are meant to be lip/cheek multitaskers.  Great on the cheeks; sheer, weirdly textured and short-lived on the lips.

Keep me updated on the hunt for purple lipsticks that don't suck.  I've been looking around the drugstore, but most purple lipcolors are either mauve, hot pinky fuschias or berry and wine colors, not true creamy lilacs or amethyst colors.  emot-frown Those that appear to be true purples are sheer or gloss products, which isn't my cup of tea.  When I want opacity, I go for matte shades (and just apply gloss over the top... which I never do, because I'm not a huge gloss fan). 

I'm tempted to try out the YSL lipsticks, because the shade range looks gorgeous.  I like my Givenchy lipstick as well, so maybe I'll check out more of theirs.  But $30 plus per tube of lip gunk is kinda crazy.

#158 | Back to Top11-03-2013 02:30:03 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

For those interested in Beauty Boxes, ELF appears to jumping on the wagon. 20 bucks a box, ships single, or every 8 weeks. I'm debating, tbh. I've been satisfied with the majority of the products I've gotten from them: http://beautybundle.eyeslipsface.com/

I highly recommend Milani lip liners, btw. Found the perfect-for-me nude I've been dying for. Quick swipe of tinted Bert's Bees over it, and I'm looking fresh faced and natural. Unlike my eyes, I almost never do my lips -they're too big for my face, and having them done in any actual color draws too much attention to them.

OitL and Lex, I didn't realize you were looking for tried and true purples, and not makeup store purples. If the Milani's don't work out, I recommend Portland Black Lipstick Co. (http://portlandblacklipstickco.com/products/) They're an indie company with rave reviews, and they specialize in unnatural colors -one of the best blacks I've ever seen and some nice greens and blues. They sell swatches, but I've heard that the swatches can melt and separate in warmer climates bc they're sent in small bags, so they're not always as true to the color as the actual tubes. so caveat emptor, as they say.

#159 | Back to Top11-03-2013 03:09:09 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Even if you aren't looking for mookoops, I second Mocha's rec.  The site alone is a joy to browse.

#160 | Back to Top11-10-2013 08:21:57 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha and I set out in New York to find what Akio smells like. This started somewhat as a joke. Then we found it. And it smells awesome on both of us. (Very unusual.) We have it shipped into the store without question. How could we pass this up?

It's probably the most expensive perfume, certainly one of them, in the store.

It's an expensive store.

YOLO.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#161 | Back to Top11-13-2013 07:34:57 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Hey OitL, how do you feel about the ELF HD powder? I've debated getting it on my previous trips, but wanted to pick up a few other things first.

Also, any of you painted ladies have an opinion on the new UD Naked 3? I've never been super swayed by 1 or 2, or even Basics, but I'm really digging the beautiful rosey golds in this palette. I'll have to swatch it first of course, but I'm pretty intrigued.

Edit for OitL: Also, the mineral infused primer, I just saw you had listed that one. I'm debating the green bc so much red on face. emot-frown

Last edited by MissMocha (11-13-2013 07:36:58 PM)

#162 | Back to Top11-13-2013 08:19:23 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

MissMocha wrote:

Hey OitL, how do you feel about the ELF HD powder? I've debated getting it on my previous trips, but wanted to pick up a few other things first.

Edit for OitL: Also, the mineral infused primer, I just saw you had listed that one. I'm debating the green bc so much red on face. emot-frown

I keep a record of my initial thoughts on all my ELF purchases, so just copying and pasting here:

Mineral Infused Face Primer (clear): $6

Had a slight vinegar smell when first applied, but it quickly went away. Seem to smell it a bit every time I apply.  Probably was something used to clean or disinfect the packaging.  Applied smoothly, but felt like it took more product to cover my face than, say, a silicone based primer would, which is shame because you do not get a whole lot of product.  While my foundation (ELF’s HD Mattifying Cream Foundation) stayed all day, I still had some issues with oil and this primer did nothing to fill in or shrink my crater pores, which are big sticking points for me.  I recommend this primer for people just looking for a way to keep their foundation lasting longer and to act as a barrier between their skin and their foundation.   For oil control or pore minimizing, there are better primers out there, though not this cheap.  It’s a very tiny bottle.  Teeny.

HD Powder (translucent):$6

This is a very popular product, but I can’t say I love it.  It is a perfectly translucent powder when correctly applied. It does not tint the skin pink or yellow, nor does it give it an ashy look.  The included puff is also great for keeping the loose powder cleanly in the container.  It gives a gorgeous, matte finish to any foundation.  My beef?  It does squat for oil control.  Thus I use this powder for setting my under-eye concealer, which is a bit of a waste of so much product.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (11-13-2013 11:29:02 PM)

#163 | Back to Top11-15-2013 11:44:36 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Double post because ELF officially has the best customer service. 

FedEx fucked up when delivering my order (claimed it was delivered, but I nor my Apartment Manager received it, meaning it was probably left on my welcome mat and stolen).  I emailed customer service with my name and order number, and got a reply back that same day, very apologetic, asking if I would prefer a refund or to have the order reshipped.  I asked if I could have it reshipped and the next day I get an email with a tracking number.

No suspicion, no blaming me or asking me to do about a run-around crap with FedEx.  Just problem solved.  Hot damn.

#164 | Back to Top11-20-2013 09:35:46 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Tried the elf HD concealer when I was in NYC.... wasn't my favorite. The fair stuff was too yellow for my skin tone, but it was the only thing light enough for me. If I had the right shade of skin for it, I probably would have liked it, but as it was, I had to blend it so much and use it so lightly that it had about an hour's wear before it was gone entirely.

....so I went to the other end of the spectrum and got a Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer. It works fucking fantastic as a concealer and lasted all night. I haven't used it for anything else yet, but damn. SX02 perfectly matches my skin and should last for fucking ever-- you only need a tiny, tiny bit of it for spot concealing.

I've seen other reviews say it's a good foundation if used very sparingly over moisturizer, but I don't really need foundation so I probably won't try that for a long time.

Also tried elf eyeshadows-- baked palette, custom eyes, and two single shades (one baked, one not). The only real difference I saw was that the baked palette was a lot sheerer, which made it easier to make them look natural but left the colors a little less vibrant than I'd hoped. The Custom Eyes and the single shades were about what I expected-- went on all right, stayed on for about three or four hours. The single baked eyeshadow was a lot more vibrant than the baked palette, but it might just have been the shade.

Lastly, I'm in absolute love with Kat Von D's tattoo liner. That thin, fine tip is amazing, and that stuff just does not budge. Love forever, will always have from now on.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#165 | Back to Top11-20-2013 10:27:17 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I'm not a huge fan of ELF's baked eyeshadows... even when applied wet they are bit flaky, and once on the colors don't contrast one another much.  I do really like their prism shadows, though.  Powder formula that finishes like a cream -but applies much more evenly. 

The ELF HD concealer does apply lighter than it looks in the tube (and certainly looks very different from the picture on the site). It matches my skintone great, but also I don't mind lighter concealers so much, since I always wear a powder or liquid foundation over my concealer and it allows for me to use it as a brightener as well as concealer.  It's also got the slightest tint of pink to it (at least it did on me wtf), which I prefer over yellow-toned under-eye concealers.   Does it beat out my Benefit Erase Paste?  Not by a country mile, but because it applies thinner and has a wand, it's quicker on lazy mornings.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (11-20-2013 10:41:28 PM)

#166 | Back to Top11-21-2013 05:34:51 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Yasha wrote:

....so I went to the other end of the spectrum and got a Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer

Hate your face so much right now. I've been wanting to get my hands on that to try and color match, but no one in this podunk town carries Kevyn Aucoin products. emot-mad

#167 | Back to Top11-22-2013 08:28:59 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Well being as we picked that up in fucking Bergdorf Goodman... emot-redface

#168 | Back to Top11-22-2013 08:44:24 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

MissMocha wrote:

Yasha wrote:

....so I went to the other end of the spectrum and got a Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer

Hate your face so much right now. I've been wanting to get my hands on that to try and color match, but no one in this podunk town carries Kevyn Aucoin products. emot-mad

Actually, it was with you in mind that we chose Kevyn Aucoin-- Gio had said that you loved his stuff, and we figured anything that you like that much would be good stuff (also I have owned various of his books from time to time).

I would be happy to get swatches on a card for you next time we run into it, but that may be a while. Or not. You never know. I didn't think of it this time because I thought you had access. emot-redface

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#169 | Back to Top11-22-2013 09:07:41 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Yasha wrote:

MissMocha wrote:

Yasha wrote:

Actually, it was with you in mind that we chose Kevyn Aucoin-- Gio had said that you loved his stuff, and we figured anything that you like that much would be good stuff (also I have owned various of his books from time to time).

I would be happy to get swatches on a card for you next time we run into it, but that may be a while. Or not. You never know. I didn't think of it this time because I thought you had access. emot-redface

You're fine -it's not like I expect you to think of me everytime you go buy stuff, lol (although i'm totes flattered you did this time!). I'll probably just try to make time next time I'm in Orlando. The counter at Nordy's was pretty small, but if I get over to the fancy mall, I'll just get samples at the Neiman counter. It's such an HG product, but I can't justify the money without being reasonably sure of a match. I can justify an eyeshadow bc it's really hard to pick a bad color, but skin products? I'm just too much a mess. :/ Keep me updated on how you like it tho!

Glad to hear you like the KVD liner -I really recommend her shadows as well. I have the Ladybird palette and use it nearly every day. Really strongly debating another one, but the Naked 3... such pretty pinky golds!  The KVD lipsticks are great formulas as well, but the colors are mostly too bold for me -I think you'd have luck with Hellbent, Underage Red, and Rosary.

#170 | Back to Top11-22-2013 06:10:35 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

MissMocha wrote:

Keep me updated on how you like it tho!

Will do! Like I said, so far so good-- goes on easily, only needs a teeny bit for spot coverage, no noticeable weight to it and lasted seven-ish hours. I'll post about it again when I try it as a foundation.

My only complaint is that you really should have a brush for this one, because you're liable to pick up too much on a fingertip. All things considered, super-minor and something I should probably be doing anyway.

MissMocha wrote:

Glad to hear you like the KVD liner -I really recommend her shadows as well. I have the Ladybird palette and use it nearly every day. Really strongly debating another one, but the Naked 3... such pretty pinky golds!  The KVD lipsticks are great formulas as well, but the colors are mostly too bold for me -I think you'd have luck with Hellbent, Underage Red, and Rosary.

I'll have to check them out next time I'm at Sephora. Which, let's be honest, is probably going to be a while from now. We spent a little more than we should have in NYC. emot-redface

#171 | Back to Top11-22-2013 08:11:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

We spent a little more than we should have in NYC. emot-redface

Akio is expensive.

But god damn does he smell amazing. On both of us. (Fairly rare.)

#172 | Back to Top11-24-2013 05:52:03 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Giovanna wrote:

Yasha and I set out in New York to find what Akio smells like. This started somewhat as a joke. Then we found it. And it smells awesome on both of us. (Very unusual.) We have it shipped into the store without question. How could we pass this up?

It's probably the most expensive perfume, certainly one of them, in the store.

It's an expensive store.

YOLO.

emot-dance Congrats ya'll, you have captured/found the sent of Akio use it well! 

But how do you find a fragrance that works great on you? Or how to pick a perfume? I have no idea besides pick something you like and don't put too much on.

I love spicy and or sweet fragrances; I would love to find a fragrance that does both someday and is long lasting. Some of my favorites include Angel by Terry. M, Pink Sugar, Lust by lush, and Blue Sugar.  I like the smell and idea of ginger, but did not love the smell of Lushes Ginger perfume on me emot-frown, and in most cases, I do not want to smell floral at all.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#173 | Back to Top11-24-2013 11:13:37 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

But how do you find a fragrance that works great on you? Or how to pick a perfume? I have no idea besides pick something you like and don't put too much on.

I love spicy and or sweet fragrances; I would love to find a fragrance that does both someday and is long lasting. Some of my favorites include Angel by Terry. M, Pink Sugar, Lust by lush, and Blue Sugar.  I like the smell and idea of ginger, but did not love the smell of Lushes Ginger perfume on me emot-frown, and in most cases, I do not want to smell floral at all.

It's not a very recent one, but have you tried Vera Wang's Princess? I have a similar taste in fragrances and remember liking it very much when I had it a while ago. I saw it described somewhere as 'sugar, spice&everything nice in a bottle' emot-biggrin , it's sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. It does have a slight floral note somewhere deep down, but it's barely noticeable, you can't really single it out.
Plus the bottle is adorable, i still keep it etc-love
It has ton of different editions, but I liked the original best.

As for finding fragrances, the only way that works for me is spraying half of the store on my hand ( male section included ), or looking for the coolest bottles and then deciding amongst them emot-rofl Found Thierry Mugler's Womanity that way...best decision ever, it still has one of the coolest bottles around.
Looking for them based on ingredients rarely works for me, for some reason.

#174 | Back to Top11-24-2013 03:21:48 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Taking samples home is the best thing for perfume, just like foundation.  Spraying a lot of scents at once while at the store, the top notes that fade as the perfume evaporates, your own scent, etc. all affect the way a perfume smells.  Those top notes you smell when you test in the store only last about 10 minutes.  Then you'll smell the mid notes for about an hour, and then the longest lasting base notes should last longer than that.

You also have to keep in mind that different perfume... err.. types need to be applied differently. The highest concentration of actual scent is, in descending order: perfume/parfum/perfume extrait, Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette, and Eau de Cologne.  I think a lot of people buy an expensive parfum or eau de parfum and then layer it on like it was a eau de toilette (which are usually cheaper and more popular) -covering their wrists, clothes, hair and the back of their necks with direct sprays- and then complain that the scent is too overpowering.  Alcohol in the perfume affects the radius of the scent, so to speak.  But I'm not really sure how that works/ what types/concentrations of perfume do what as far as that goes.  Just that alcohol has to do with it. Lookit me I'm so helpful.

Anyway I wear Lancome's La vie est belle, which starts off subtly sweet (like a more mature Pink Sugar) and then becomes a bit more like a musk, with floral notes.  Typically floral scents make me sick, particularly powdery ones, but when worn right it doesn't overwhelm me.  I spray it on the back of my knees and then twice into the air, which I walk into.  It's a little too strong to spray directly on the skin on the upper part of my body, and I like that other people don't tend to smell it unless they are close to me.  I don't want to be that person in the office.

I'd like to try that Marc Jacobs Honey perfume some more, when I get a chance.  I liked what I did try, but I like to try and burn through a sample or two before I decide to purchase.  I also remember falling in love with a Vince Camuto scent once, but don't remember its name.

looking for the coolest bottles and then deciding amongst them

What convinced me to switch from rollerballs to bottles/atomizers was the desire to have a pretty bottle sitting on my vanity like the cute little shit I am.  And LVEB like... has a little ascot on it.  etc-love

P.S  I also waste perfume and spray the end of my bed covers with it.  People come over and be like, damn, bitch is fancy her apartment doesn't smell completely like farts.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (11-24-2013 03:29:00 PM)

#175 | Back to Top11-24-2013 05:00:38 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

Well, there's a whole shitload of advice if you google around, but I would say the most important thing is to take your time buying it.

Seriously, it took us two or three days to commit to purchasing any perfume at all from Aedes. We got samples of the things we liked, we put them on, wore them around, stopped to smell them whenever we remembered to, noted how long they lasted, made sure we liked the perfumes in every stage of their drydown and wear, tried to figure out how the scent changed over time, and most importantly, decided whether we liked it on each other. I'm lucky enough to have a built-in second opinion on this stuff; you should get someone to go perfume shopping with you, and ask your friends what they think of the perfume you're wearing when you test it out.

Example Time

When Gio and I went to Aedes de Venustas, I gravitated toward the Kilian shelf and ended up fascinated by their Pure Oud. It smelled like a bonfire, very masculine, with some spice and leather underneath. It's a super-dark perfume, one that makes you think of snarling animals prowling outside the ring of light from your fire. Naturally, I fell in love.

So Gio and I both tested it. This is actually really helpful! On Gio, it went to a smoky note... and stayed there. Exactly the same the whole time. Don't get me wrong, it was a good smell and we both liked it, but on her it's something to layer, something to give other perfumes a bit of that smoke smell. On me, it opened right up and went a little crazy, the spice notes and the leather notes coming up to the forefront, while the smoke stayed a loud undertone, underlining everything else. The animal notes came out a lot more too, leaving it smelling a little like sex in a dark room (in a good way). Over time it mellows a little, and with wear it grows fainter, but two days later it still smells like a succubus walking through hellfire.

That's how I know it works on me. I would never wear it if I was going to be in an enclosed space with others for long, though-- it's a really aggressive smell on me, and if someone doesn't like that I wouldn't want to subject them to it.

There's a lot more bushwah about scent families and stuff, but it's pretty much garbage if you're trying to find a scent that works for you. It's only helpful to know the scent families if you're asking the salesperson to find a scent for you, but the thing is that if you do that, you won't find anything that surprises you or changes your mind about fragrances.

Which comes to the second most important point-- smell everything. Email a fragrance store and tell them you'll pay for a bunch of random samples. Buy a sample lot or two (or ten or twelve) on ebay and check out everything. It's like wine, or good sex-- you're not going to know what you like unless you try out a lot! emot-wink

Gio and I have tried out hundreds of different perfumes, so we've gotten pretty good at it. And by this point, we do know what works on us-- basically what you're looking for is something that interacts well with your body chemistry, and (not as important) lasts a while. My absolute favorite, the Voleur de Roses, only lasts anout three or four hours.... sigh. But it's still my favorite.

Edit: OITL's got some good points about the different perfume concentrations too. Most of what you'll see in the stores is Eau de Toilette, but it's a good idea to make sure you know what a perfume you like is.

Board footer