This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-12-2014 07:31:57 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Power of Dios, Anthy and Akio's age

Among other things.

After rewatching Utena a few months ago with a friend, I've wondered: just how "ancient" are Anthy and Akio, as well as the Power of Dios?

If I'm not mistaken, Akio seems to be preparing for yet another cycle of sorts of duels to unlock the power of Dios, meaning he has tried before. My question is, how long has he tried? Ten years? Twenty? A thousand?

What do you guys think?

Movie Anthy is cute as fuck by the way.

#2 | Back to Top06-12-2014 11:28:12 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Re: Power of Dios, Anthy and Akio's age

ArthurianRoseKnight wrote:

Among other things.

After rewatching Utena a few months ago with a friend, I've wondered: just how "ancient" are Anthy and Akio, as well as the Power of Dios?

If I'm not mistaken, Akio seems to be preparing for yet another cycle of sorts of duels to unlock the power of Dios, meaning he has tried before. My question is, how long has he tried? Ten years? Twenty? A thousand?

What do you guys think?

Really, I've just never even tried to decide concretely. There's just not enough evidence, and what evidence there is is contradictory. However, I tend to want to believe that the number of cycles is lower than most people usually claim. Leaving aside the issue of whether Anthy and Akio are immortal, I really can't help but feel that if they had been doing this for centuries, millennia, or longer, their respective attitudes wouldn't be what they are. They probably wouldn't even be intelligible on a human level anymore.

People tend to be fascinated with the idea that they've been going on for what normal humans would consider an incredibly long time, but I just don't feel it. There's a sense of immediacy and rawness to Anthy's despair and Akio's immaturity that makes me feel certain that, if they can even be called human, they are still within the experiences that could happen inside a single human lifetime. So while they may be older than they look, I don't believe they're "ancient".

Movie Anthy is cute as fuck by the way.

Innnnnnnnnn-deed. That's part of why Utena fell so hard for her. All according to Movie Anthy's "Benevolent Puppetmaster" plans, of course... etc-love

Last edited by Aelanie (06-12-2014 11:30:36 PM)

#3 | Back to Top06-14-2014 02:24:56 PM

Sian
Saionji Slapper
Website

That's actually a good question and I've been wondering about that too.
In the anime they had a fax or printer in the house where Anthy kept Dios. Wasn't it like he helped people to much and then Anthy put him in the house/sealed him away?! And I think then he became "bad"/corrupted/whatever after that. The people who got angry about him not being able to help anymore and stabbed Anthy don't really wear modern clothes and I think they also had pitchforks (which makes me think of those movies where people from the 16th century or something stab vampires). Edit: Okay I gotta admit they do wear pretty modern clothes, I didn't remeber that. So that kinda is an argument for it happening quite a long time ago but they also had the printer/fax. Unless it was a magical printer they need electricity and a certain degree of technical knowledge ect for that thing.
Another thing is that when Utena "meets" Anthy after her parents die Anthy still looks the same age as when she got stabbed by the angry mob. Dios is also still young. But maybe they could do that on purpose because Anthy can also do the ~Mamiya thing~.

the issue of whether Anthy and Akio are immortal

I read that as immoral at first.

Last edited by Sian (06-15-2014 02:48:10 PM)

#4 | Back to Top06-14-2014 03:17:10 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

It seems to me that their ages are purposely kept ambiguous. For example, there's the big flashback sequence in episode 34 where we see people in modern suits and ties wielding swords and (I believe) a few pieces of farm equipment, making everything an anachronistic mess. Mind you, it is coloured by young Utena's preconceptions are of "once upon a time," so it's hardly reliable. But being pierced by a million swords is a lot less plausible nowadays than it would have been in earlier eras.

I supposed what I'm saying is... Ikuni figured it didn't matter how old they really were, and he tried to show it in that episode.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#5 | Back to Top05-18-2016 06:49:51 AM

DefineMask
Saionji Slapper

The profiles say Anthy is 14, but in my opinion she only appears physically 14. Akio's age is just left ambiguous lol. They are much older age-wise. The setting that Anthy and Akio were in as kids seemed a time period that was pretty far back, possibly the 1800s. Note that episode 22 confirms that Tokiko has known Akio for long. And in Nemuro's flashbacks, Akio still looks the same age. So Akio and Anthy are pretty much stuck in a big time loop until they "graduate." They are refusing to face reality, in other words. Anthy probably began to lose her immortality after she left Akio in the finale.

Last edited by DefineMask (05-18-2016 06:50:42 AM)

#6 | Back to Top05-23-2016 05:25:19 AM

Amasis
Juri Jeerer

I assumed them to be- in terms of our world's time- thousands of years old, even prehistoric.

The impression I got- probably through mere imagination- was that the Rose Prince was, in Utena's world, a very, very old and well-known myth.

Moreover, Akio and Anthy seem to me something like corrupted versions of Osiris and Isis. Osiris, once the virtuous king ruling the otherworldly kingdom, now has degenerated to being the seducing anti-king ruling a false world. Isis, once the loving and beloved sister-wife and goddess of magic, has through her perveted devotion become a debasèd slave and a spiteful and deceitful witch. Everyone's still in their coffins since they're in the world of the dead.

If there is one- and though I'm pretty confident the previous part was at least an intentional similarity I rather doubt this one- I'd say the equivalent of Horus feels like either Utena/Dios (of course) or Ruka. No, I know that makes no sense don't really know why; his name just reminds me of a bird of prey and his role seems like that of a haughty god from the outside world on oddly good terms who's allowed a personal visit.

Last edited by Amasis (05-23-2016 05:25:45 AM)

Board footer