This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-11-2014 02:15:39 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Final Fantasy XV trouble development & the problem with Square Enix

I was originally going to post in the Gaming thread but because of how big the post itself was, this is one of the largest post I've written for a thread with over 700 words excluding this sentence, the reason why is because this post heavily elaborates on the issues regarding the game's development and how Square Enix's mismanagement post-merge effected the game's overall development.

Since Gamescom is coming up and afterwards, Pax prime and the Tokyo Game show in late September, I'm pessimistically hoping for some detail regarding Final Fantasy XV and yes I know that since the game skip this year's E3, people are start weary of the game's development since it been 7 years since it announcement at E3 2006 but don't forget that the game did't really production until 2011 and the game's development as of this post is probably focusing on updating the Assets since stuff like the character models don't look that good and also that the game itself is the most ambitious final fantasy since final fantasy vii in terms of how it going to change the series like we are going to get a fully scaled overworld ala Grand Theft Auto, An Action Based Combat system, Cut scenes were the player has full control like how the PS1 Final Fantasies handled cutscene transition were the player has a degree of control or the Uncharted games with it's set pieces, A story that goes back to the Crystals as the focus of the story while giving it a more realistic tone and shades of gray with a political backdrop like in XII in fact Jun Akiyama the Event Planner for XII and Ivalice game is also this game's Event planner. 

Kazushige Nojima returns  to series after being absence from the last 3 mainline game thought he wrote the story concepts for the Fabula Nova Crystallis a large project comprise of a Final Fantasy XIII, an action rpg that was designed to contrast Final Fantasy XIII(Final Fantasy XV when it know as Final Fantasy Versus XIII) and a action rpg for Mobile in vein of Crisis Core(Final Fantasy Agito before it became Type-0 and was moved to the PSP); Now the problem was that Square Enix were having trouble with Crystal Tools which was mainly because of the growing pains that came with the transition into HD Development and the PS3's Cpu architecture which it hard to program on, this was why Final Fantasy XIII had trouble development because it develop in conjuration with Crystal Tools which was really problematic because it did't gives developers the time to develop a fleshed out game which effect the gameplay mechanic and fuck they did't have anything playable until the game was in it's late stages of Development and then Square Enix decided to port the game to the Xbox 360 which made thing even worse for develop of Crystal Tools which ultimately lead to Final Fantasy XV to change to a new engine that ultimately became the luminous engine and the game change it's focus to Next Generation consoles because of how ambitious the game is for a jrpg and that transition help Final Fantasy XV in a way with in-game destruction, further teleport point when playing as Noctis, the game is probably going to run better too with the ram boost on the PS4/Xbox One and probably make stuff like the Airships possible thanks to the increase draw distance since the game would need to retain it graphical fidelity when you are high up in the sky riding your Airship and looking at view around you.

Squere Enix also intended to use Crystal Tools for their next big MMO Codename "Rapture" which was Final Fantasy XIV which along with Final Fantasy XIII's mixed reception in american absolutely destroyed the Company's overall reputation outside of Japan, The game was a unfinished MMO that was Rushed to release and suffered from poor optimization, terrible UI that was't suited for PCs and gameplay mechanics that feel unfinished; the game was such a pile of shit that Square Enix had to publicly apologize for release an unfinished product which is a bad sign from business perspective because it reeks of poor management which has become a problem with the company since Squaresoft merge with Enix with Final Fantasy XII having a troubled development cycle which resulted Yatsuno Mitsuda to leave the company during it's development, then there was the issues I have already mentioned regarding Crystal tool and Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIV being rushed to the market and Final Fantasy XV spending 5 years in pre-production because Nomura was focusing on the Kingdom Hearts spinoffs, Directing The world ends with you and doing character designs for the mainline Final Fantasies and it did't help that Square Enix decide to reboot Final Fantasy XIV and release 2 sequels to Final Fantasy XIII to compensate for it troubled development and to cash in on it's success thought XIII-2 sold a lot then it's predecessor and Lightning's Return selling even worse thanks to the both of them having a decrease budget compared to mainline Final Fantasies and Final Fantasy XIII mixed reception.

I personally hope that we will get new information regarding Final Fantasy XV this next 2 months whether it's from Gamescom, Pax Prime and TGS but since the game skipped this year's E3, me and the people that have been following following the game will still remain pessimistic until we get substantial information like a release date or at least a new trailer but as of now, the general interest in this game is probably going to die out as this year progress unless we get new info regarding the game like people have been waiting for the game for like 7 years and in my case I have been waiting for this game for 4 years since I found out about the game so they better tell us something regarding the game and else interest is going to continue to decline.

That All I have to say since this thread has been going for too long, if there's anything that needs to corrected, please let me know and I'll edit the post to your  desire; also since Final Fantasy is controversial series overall with the generally mixed reception around the games that been release since it's transition to 3d, please restrict your discussion to just XV and mention other games when needed; also do not discuss the fact that game has predominately male party, if you want a Final Fantasy game with a playable cast that predominately female, there's always Final fantasy X-2 or the Final fantasy XIII which 3 out of it's 5 cast member's are female so don't talk about it, It Nomura's creative decision not the public's so don't derail the thread with that shit.

Signing out.

#2 | Back to Top08-11-2014 04:09:02 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

Re: Final Fantasy XV trouble development & the problem with Square Enix

It could be worse. I waited 12 YEARS for Duke Nukem Forever to come out. Even after all the bad reviews I bought the game anyway. After over a decade of waiting, I had to get game no matter what.

Here is the walkthrough if you are curious.

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#3 | Back to Top08-11-2014 08:30:43 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Roses, I don't think you can really limit the discussion by posting what's pretty much already a niche topic and then saying "don't talk about this aspect" and expect people to stick to it. You've already introduced the idea, just in your warning.

But, in general, is the absence of new sequels, or their slow development really that bad? There are plenty of games out there, and many older ones (and newer) are totally replayable. I get why a new game in a world or with certain characters is desirable, but not so much why it's delay is a very bad thing and not just an eh, so that thing.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4 | Back to Top08-11-2014 11:56:14 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ditto Daytripper, plus: why this game?  I think I used to feel a pretty strong brand loyalty to Final Fantasy.  During the period between FF6 and FF10, it was pretty much a given that I'd buy and play whatever had the magic words on the box.  It was a brand I had faith in.  Square, or later Square-Enix, told good stories set to the tune of good music.  But that was a long time ago.  In the interim, not only has Final Fantasy's quality declined, but I've become aware that there are a lot of other RPGs in the world.  There is not much, besides the words on the box, that marks a game as a Final Fantasy game.  Last Dream, for example, is a reasonably cool indie RPG in the aesthetic of an old-school Final Fantasy or Lufia game.  Square-Enix could acquire it, retitle it "Final Fantasy: Last Dream," insert a character named Cid, change nothing else about the game, and release it as a throwback title, and everyone would snap it up like piranhas.  The brand is everything and the brand is nothing.

So why Final Fantasy 15?  Why is this game worth getting intemperate over?  Is there anything besides the words "Final Fantasy" that you can't get from other games, other developers?

#5 | Back to Top08-11-2014 02:08:10 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

satyreyes wrote:

So why Final Fantasy 15?  Why is this game worth getting intemperate over?  Is there anything besides the words "Final Fantasy" that you can't get from other games, other developers?

No one likes to see their personal symbols trampled under the feet of the industry's demands. See Pitchfork's Rise and Fall of Final Fantasy.

I should note that the only FF games I've played are 6 and earlier, so I can't comment on the decline of the series. As such, I'll now bow out of this discussion.

#6 | Back to Top08-11-2014 02:31:00 PM

yusaku
String Theorist

I did not mean to get off topic which was basically about the long development cycle of FFXV. I really should have read all of your post. I am a big fan of online RPG's. I played Guild Wars religiously once upon a time. I think FFVX will be a great game when it does come out. I am sure that it will not be like the Duke Nukem fiasco. Here is a video video relative to the topic.

For everyone like myself that has to "catch up" on the Final Fantasy franchise. Here is a short video history:

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#7 | Back to Top08-11-2014 09:45:13 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

satyreyes wrote:

Honestly It comes down to fact that it really tries to differentiate itself from what series has become, the back to basic story with the crystals instead of the convoluted shit XIII had, the action based combat that gives you more control over your characters in terms of positioning and action unlike the recent installments post XI were combat started to feel automated and shallow, the character design while a bit bland are a lot more restraint then Nomura's recent character design and comparable to VIII's character designs, it really less about the innovation and more about how the game is more or less a return to form for series conceptually; yet I'm still bloody waiting for the game to get a full release after 4 years.

and I'm saying this as someone who at least play almost all of the final fantasy pre-10 to some degree and got finished the first disc of Final Fantasy VIII.

#8 | Back to Top09-05-2014 05:24:15 PM

zevrem
Banned

It doesn't have to be a story about the "crystals." It just has to be a story that makes some sense, that's all. FFVII was probably the last game whose story made sense. Well, XII also made sense, but it was a really bland Star Wars ripoff story. But I think FFVII did well primarily because they stole plot points and imagery from Akira, Berserk, Evangelion, and Nausicaa. There really hasn't been anything of their level of quality since then.

Utena can be weird and allegorical because it's very clear what it's about throughout all the episodes, and it only becomes more clear as the symbolism becomes more bizarre. FFXIII has you kill the guys who created the floating city and crash into the ground because... they manipulated you into killing them and destroying the floating city? Like WTF

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#9 | Back to Top09-18-2014 07:29:20 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Update: Today, a new trailer for the game got released and is having mixed reactions so far, Complaints about how bland the character design is, the clunky combat, the same old complaints regarding Stella's(Luna?) redesign and concerns regarding the story which is expected considering how XIII's writing was critically panned from a story telling and character standpoint.

The New TGS trailer is probably the most key one yet as it showcase gameplay in area's outside of major cities, the main thing that worries me is that it might suffer from the pacing issues XIII had like the game had a lot of padding up until chaptor 9 with no definitive goal until Barthandelus told in that the main cast has to destroy Cocoon which brings question of the fact that theirs a Fal'cie that can talk and knows the intentions of a Pulse fal'cie but that not the point, the best way Final Fantasy XV can paced itself is like how Rockstar does it so after a setpiece battle or story event, the game should give the player the freedom to explore the area around then if the player wants to do the main quest, he'll head to car which is the main form of transportation in game and start heading to the next story relevant event, then if the player gets access to an airship, he can backtrack to these areas like in the older final fantasies mainly Final Fantasy VI and how that game opens up after the Floating Continent which is probably the best way they pace XV gameplay wise then again this is Square Enix a company that barely competent when it comes to game designed.

People have also been complaining about the setting, the only thing that really feels out of place is the enemy design which has always been a problem in the Sci-fi final fantasies, the knights with AK-47s at least fits into the setting to some extent, I guess it's because of how uncanny it is blending a fantasy setting with a modern day setting, it works if you know the game's back story and how Kingdom of Lucis is the last kingdom to have a crystal which is how it became modernized compare to  other kingdoms thought Lucis still relies on melee weapons because they're to use magic to defend themselves thought Prompto is the only known character to use firearms while other kingdom uses Firearms as their mainweapons because of their lack of magic which brings me to the character designs themselves.

I think the biggest problem right now is the character designs, they are probably the least appealing character designs to come out of a final fantasy game, while it might be appealing to the japanese but the anime hair and fashion design does't appeal that well to the west and no don't bring up the fact that people have different taste, the point here is that this kind of character won't appeal well to a majority of people outside of japan since it's not considered to be the norm when it comes to character design, I know that limits creative freedom but if you are releasing a game in a series that been successful both in and out of it's home country, having character like this diminishes any international appeal the game might have.

Here is the trailer if you are wondering:

if their is anything I need to correct please let me know in post, now excuse me while I eat crow.

#10 | Back to Top09-18-2014 09:16:06 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

My, it's certainly very pretty!  My first reaction to the character designs, seeing those four in the car, was: these are perfect designs, provided they are in a rock band together.  emot-rofl

Rosesareawesome101 wrote:

The New TGS trailer is probably the most key one yet as it showcase gameplay in area's outside of major cities, the main thing that worries me is that it might suffer from the pacing issues XIII had like the game had a lot of padding up until chaptor 9 with no definitive goal until Barthandelus told in that the main cast has to destroy Cocoon which brings question of the fact that theirs a Fal'cie that can talk and knows the intentions of a Pulse fal'cie but that not the point, the best way Final Fantasy XV can paced itself is like how Rockstar does it so after a setpiece battle or story event, the game should give the player the freedom to explore the area around then if the player wants to do the main quest, he'll head to car which is the main form of transportation in game and start heading to the next story relevant event, then if the player gets access to an airship, he can backtrack to these areas like in the older final fantasies mainly Final Fantasy VI and how that game opens up after the Floating Continent which is probably the best way they pace XV gameplay wise then again this is Square Enix a company that barely competent when it comes to game designed.

There's a fine balance to be struck, though.  You and I agree that Final Fantasy XIII's first several hours were boringly linear -- not motivated enough, giving the player too little freedom.  But I think we disagree about the pacing of Final Fantasy VI's World of Ruin, which I thought was the weakest part of an otherwise fantastic game.  You get the airship very early in the World of Ruin and immediately have access to anyplace you want to go.  That sounds great because it gives the player maximal freedom.  But I don't actually want maximal freedom.  If you tell me that I can go anywhere, I tend to feel lost and put the game down.  I was going to say that play becomes unmotivated, but that's not true.  In the World of Ruin, our motivation is clear: put the gang back together and go take down the big bad.  Maybe it would be better to say that play becomes opaque.  I can go anywhere, but I don't know where I should go.

To my taste, the World of Balance got it exactly right.  (Just like its name suggests!)  You don't get the airship for real until you've already explored most of the world.  Until then, gameplay is broadly linear, and with a couple exceptions you will hit the same plot points in the same order in every playthrough, but at any given moment you have room to explore.  You know where you're supposed to be going, and you have the freedom to improvise around that.  So I think you're on the right track to suggest that "after a setpiece battle or story event, the game should give the player the freedom to explore the area around," but I don't think the World of Ruin is a very good example of what that should look like.

#11 | Back to Top09-18-2014 04:56:11 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

satyreyes wrote:

My, it's certainly very pretty!  My first reaction to the character designs, seeing those four in the car, was: these are perfect designs, provided they are in a rock band together.  emot-rofl

There's a fine balance to be struck, though.  You and I agree that Final Fantasy XIII's first several hours were boringly linear -- not motivated enough, giving the player too little freedom.  But I think we disagree about the pacing of Final Fantasy VI's World of Ruin, which I thought was the weakest part of an otherwise fantastic game.  You get the airship very early in the World of Ruin and immediately have access to anyplace you want to go.  That sounds great because it gives the player maximal freedom.  But I don't actually want maximal freedom.  If you tell me that I can go anywhere, I tend to feel lost and put the game down.  I was going to say that play becomes unmotivated, but that's not true.  In the World of Ruin, our motivation is clear: put the gang back together and go take down the big bad.  Maybe it would be better to say that play becomes opaque.  I can go anywhere, but I don't know where I should go.

To my taste, the World of Balance got it exactly right.  (Just like its name suggests!)  You don't get the airship for real until you've already explored most of the world.  Until then, gameplay is broadly linear, and with a couple exceptions you will hit the same plot points in the same order in every playthrough, but at any given moment you have room to explore.  You know where you're supposed to be going, and you have the freedom to improvise around that.  So I think you're on the right track to suggest that "after a setpiece battle or story event, the game should give the player the freedom to explore the area around," but I don't think the World of Ruin is a very good example of what that should look like.

You're right, the world of ruin is't a good example for discussing pacing in an open world game, the gta way of unlocking stuff within the world as you progress the main story probably works much better in Final Fantasy XV's favours then doing Skyrim's "You could go anywhere you want" Shtick that is't that coherent from a game design standpoint.

#12 | Back to Top09-18-2014 06:47:10 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

I think the biggest problem right now is the character designs, they are probably the least appealing character designs to come out of a final fantasy game, while it might be appealing to the japanese but the anime hair and fashion design does't appeal that well to the west and no don't bring up the fact that people have different taste, the point here is that this kind of character won't appeal well to a majority of people outside of japan since it's not considered to be the norm when it comes to character design, I know that limits creative freedom but if you are releasing a game in a series that been successful both in and out of it's home country, having character like this diminishes any international appeal the game might have.

My issue with the character designs is that they're all too familiar. They come off as generic. Like the blond dude, his hair reminds me of Cloud's original hair style from Final Fantasy 7. The girl who appears has a hairstyle very similar to Riku's from Final Fantasy 10, only less expressive. I swear I've seen the main character's hairstyle somewhere else before. It seems Genesis-y.

#13 | Back to Top09-18-2014 07:13:39 PM

zevrem
Banned

I think they were consciously trying to replicate whatever success they had with FF7 by copying the character designs. But the reason FF7 made so much money was because its story was comprehensible, the gameplay was simple, and the setpieces were interesting, not because the main character had spiky blond hair.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#14 | Back to Top09-20-2014 10:19:53 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Tech Demo presented by Hajime Tabata himself

This video along with a leak Famitsu interview has brought up some concern regarding the battle, Tabata said in the leak that the game has move away from a Kingdom Hearts-esque battle system to something more in line with the series, one of the thing he mention is the auto dodge when holding the specific button instead of a timed dodge like in other action game and a auto attack, this along with the already controversial redesigns of character is implying that the game is going in a completely different direction then what Nomura intended overall, this game is Nomura's Magnum opus, he been developing it since it's announcement in 2006 so to change aspects of it like the story, the action based battle system and the character design makes the game seam watered down compared to Nomura vision of it in fact it was recently revealed that Nomura drop out as the direction and Hajime Tabata took over which reminds me of the situation Final fantasy XII was going through during it's own development hell, as soon as Hiroyuki Ito replaced Yasumi Matsuno as director, Final Fantasy XII went in a completely different direction.

I like to refer this as Disney Syndrome, when a ambitious project like when the Hunchback of Notredame for example had to get toned down to suit the kid friendly standard of the Disney and that lead to it's tonal inconsistencies, in this case, Tabata had to tone done Final Fantasy XV because it was too ambitious as a mainline Final Fantasy while removing the stuff that made the game vaguely interesting.

Personally if they allow you to turn off the auto-attack and auto defend like in the Last Story then I would't worry that much but since Square Enix has'nt really talked about the combat in detail, we have to rely on what information that is currently available to us which means we probably have to wait until this year's Jump Festa to get new information.

#15 | Back to Top09-21-2014 12:26:48 PM

zevrem
Banned

this along with the already controversial redesigns of character

What were the characters like before and after the redesigns? I don't know enough about the project to be able to tell the difference. And what would FFXII have looked like with the original director in position? Because it turned out to be the blandest FF by far in terms of story and gameplay.

And Square shouldn't be this squeamish about "weirdness" in its games, the weirder the FF game is, the better it sells, if history is any indication. It's a CORPORATION. Money's supposed to matter more than some generalized concept of "image."

Last edited by zevrem (09-21-2014 12:56:44 PM)

#16 | Back to Top09-21-2014 02:25:24 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

zevrem wrote:

this along with the already controversial redesigns of character

What were the characters like before and after the redesigns? I don't know enough about the project to be able to tell the difference.

Well for one thing, the outfits were originally designed by Nomura himself, back in 2010, Dengeki Playstation reviled the outfits will be done by fashion company "Roen" instead of Nomura himself, Nomura was still responsible for hair and faciel design but Roen is responsible for the outfits, for comparison:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130611094713/finalfantasy/images/e/e7/Prince_gang.JPG
to
[img]http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130624153716/finalfantasy/images/9/9c/Final-Fantasy-XV-Main-Cast-CG.jpg
Please not that redesigns in the button are not since Prompto for example had a redesign in the facial and hair department as seen in the Tgs 2014 live demo, he looks more like someone of Caucasian heritage then a Japan heritage, I'll link to the TGS demo again for further comparison:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zj5Fu09izY[/yoututbe][/img]

The thing that really rustles jimmies is stella's redesign, her original renders looked far less generic and anime-ish, she really complemented Nomura's intention of a more realistic and less anime-ish setting spiky haircuts aside, her older renders look far more mature then the recent one:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120730171128/finalfantasy/images/4/40/Stella_Versus_XIII.jpg
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130611202029/finalfantasy/images/8/86/StellaXVPortrait.png

Note that her recent render looks a lot more doe-eyed then her older renders, it a stark contrast as subtle as it may be.

One last thing is that this/nest week's Famitsu is going to have some details regarding the game if anyone is interested.

#17 | Back to Top09-22-2014 01:09:14 AM

zevrem
Banned

The dudes now look like they're going out clubbing, in the first pic they looked a lot more like they were ready for a fight. Even Noctis' outfit was tough in that Matrixy way. Now they're like "Dude I got some ex, let's hit the club and crash in my girlfriend's dad's living room." But I could also accept that they looked a little TOO realistic in the first pic, I mean this IS an FF game.

Last edited by zevrem (09-23-2014 12:59:20 AM)

Board footer