This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-06-2007 08:59:44 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

What the "Rose" symbolizes..

I haven't really given much thought about finding this one out, but someone made a wallpaper, and when I saw it.. "BOOM!!" right in the face! (well, I'm not sure if this subject has been talked about, but so far I haven't seen one emot-biggrin)

Here's the wallpaper made by that person:
*Click to Enlarge*
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6726/gumbautena2lh5.th.jpg

First of, here's a rebound of what I believed was the meaning of Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku (Absolute Destiny: Apocalypse) Post #6, just look for the post with the title of it.

Or, I'll just post it here as well:

Absolute Destiny: Apocalypse (Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku)

Lyrics wrote:

The Absolute Destiny: Apocalypse!
Birth records, Baptismal records, records of Death
My own birth, Absolute birth.
Apocalypse..

A shining place in a desert of darkness
A gold plated Shangri-La
Day and night turning back on one another
A time-plated paradise lost

The darkness of Sodomy,
The darkness of Light,
The darkness of Distance,
Endless, endless Darkness
The Absolute Destiny: Apocalyptic Darkness!

mokushi kushimo
shimoku kumoshi
moshiku shikumo

(A sound of a coffin opening/closing?)

mokushi kushimo
shimoku kumoshi
moshiku shikumo

[That last bit isn't supposed to mean anything. It's just the syllables in "mokushi" (apocalypse) randomly put together in different ways.

Let’s now dissect the meanings!
*Wait, I wanna listen to the damn song first! emot-rofl

Ok, so anyway, we have this song always played everytime Utena duels.
(A reason also is because of lack of capital, lol, but anyway..)

~ First of, what word is similar to ‘Apocalypse’? It’s ‘destruction’
So it goes, “Absolute Destiny: Destruction!”
Absolute Destiny? I think, since each of the duelist have their own roles, they put themselves in a line of destiny, where everyone has a role. So, “Absolute Destiny: Apocalypse!” Destruction to whatever they are trying to put themselves in… And remember this song is played on every duel, so destruction is their path.

Birth records, Baptismal records, records of Death

~Everytime this line appears, the viewer (us) gets splashed in water, so we are like ‘born’ into this ‘world’ of fantasy… Destructive destiny.

A shining place in a desert of darkness
A gold plated Shangri-La
Day and night turning back on one another
A time-plated paradise lost

~ Line per line… ‘A shining place in a desert of darkness’ it is like a desire in the middle of nothingness. ‘A gold plated Shangri-La’ Shangri-La means Utopia (World of Paradise). ‘Day and Night turning back on one another’ time passes by but you are not moving with time. ‘a time-plated paradise lost’ well, I explained the time, the ‘paradise lost’ is the fantasy that can never be reached, it’s lost…

The darkness of Sodomy,
The darkness of Light,
The darkness of Distance,
Endless, endless Darkness

I explained this earlier… Line by line:
Sodomy is some kind of sex stuff, I don’t really understand this one.
‘The darkness of light’, light is hope, desire or something that can save you… But it said ‘darkness’ so whatever that desire is, bring you nothing but darkness. Each of the duelist have a desire, but when they duel, it gives them light to a darkness absolute destiny. Same goes for the 3rd line… Endless endless darkness…

mokushi kushimo~Destruction!
shimoku kumoshi~ Destruction!
moshiku shikumo~ Destruction!

(A sound of a coffin opening/closing?)

mokushi kushimo~ Destruction!
shimoku kumoshi~ Destruction!
moshiku shikumo~ Destruction!

Video

As they ride the elevator, we see them dress in "their roles" as well..

Anyway, the reason I went back to this, I will relate both of this "Pre-Duel" theme with the "Rose" symbol I am talking about..

Anyway, if we go here: Watch this Video First, we can see some English Subs of their dance (UtenaxAnthy)

And the song starts with "this rose is our destiny", I believed the rose symbolizes their "destiny" or "roles" they put themselves in.. That is why when the rose has been removed in their duels, they loose..

"Because I've never forgotten our promise" as said in the song, I believed this reverts back to the episodes where Utena promised Anthy she will be "prince" to save Anthy from her torture..

Also, as they dance, their "roles" reflect themselves in the water, and in that water, we see the "roses"

Well, so in my conclusion, the rose symbolizes "destiny".. However, this are just my interpretations.. I could be wrong. Also, I was going to say something more, and I forgot! emot-gonk

EDIT: Typos! emot-gonk

Last edited by Stephanie (12-06-2007 09:03:17 AM)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/Chosen_entity/Etcetera/621ed118do3-1.jpg
"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
Bigger than ourselves and our dreams.."
~FMA

Maria-sama Forum, My YouTube Account

Board footer