This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#176 | Back to Top08-19-2011 09:32:13 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Mawaru Penguindrum: Or, YOU WILL BE SPOILED

Speaking of which, SA's Penguindrum thread brings up a good point. While everyone's trying to pick Utena references in this new world, we're missing the completely logical concept of scouring SKU for penguins. For example, could it be Akio had an invisible penguin of his own? It would explain certain death-defying stunts of his...

http://ohtori.nu/penguin/PenguinJump.jpg

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#177 | Back to Top08-19-2011 10:39:46 PM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

<--- mind = blown.

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#178 | Back to Top08-20-2011 05:41:02 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

I can see the ending already:

"There never was a Momoka!"

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#179 | Back to Top08-20-2011 07:12:22 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

There was only Zuul?

~ diru

#180 | Back to Top08-20-2011 09:37:07 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Well obviously it's Akio who's in phone contact with evil!Juri, and this is all his elaborate plan to get a new rose bride.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#181 | Back to Top08-21-2011 01:09:33 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

I'm still waiting for Mr. pink haired evil looking dude from intro to show up.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#182 | Back to Top08-21-2011 01:41:55 AM

Sakura Rurouni
Saionji Slapper

I don't understand what in blazes is going on, and I am loving every moment of it.

La blessure traverse mon cœur
Et j'ai-- la joie dans la douleur
Je m'enivre de ce poison
À en perdre la raison

#183 | Back to Top08-22-2011 06:46:36 PM

artemis88
Mikage Mistruster

Ragnarok wrote:

Well obviously it's Akio who's in phone contact with evil!Juri, and this is all his elaborate plan to get a new rose bride.

you don't want to know how hard I loled at this

#184 | Back to Top08-22-2011 06:59:12 PM

Maya-chan
Miki Molester

I noticed that Yui Horie as Masako is like Kotono Mitsuishi as Juri in many ways

1) They have voiced genki girl roles before

2) They have pretty high pitched voices for their genki girl roles

3) As Masako, Yui has a deeper voice than her usual genki and as Juri, Kotono also has a deep voice than her usual

4) Masako looks so much like Juri

4) Masako is (what people care calling her here) an evil version of Juri

Am I seeing a pattern here...? school-devil

#185 | Back to Top08-22-2011 08:10:11 PM

artemis88
Mikage Mistruster

somehow I don't think Masako will turn out to be evil, though. neutral, maybe. I can't see her as a villain, yet.. even after seeing her tamper with the memories of those girls.

the penguin queen possessing Himari is the one that seems evil, and whatever force is possessing Himari, Masako appears to know more about it than any of the characters so far. I would really love for her to be a more fulfilled Juri. but the show has barely even started yet..
did no one else think that she seemed to have feelings for the girl that was pushed down the stairs? "I won't forgive him.." ?

Last edited by artemis88 (08-22-2011 08:16:27 PM)

#186 | Back to Top08-22-2011 10:39:44 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I just watched episode 6.

I'm just gonna agree with satyr's comment on Ringo.

Also, random theory about Himari... I don't think it'll necessarily be the case, but...

Maybe Himari's actually still dead, and everything is being imagined by the two brothers. Everything. And, when they finally can accept Himari's passing, everything is back to normal.

Watching Ringo's attempt to actualize Momoko's "destiny" made me wonder that possibility...

EDIT: I also just remembered how Adolescence of Utena dealt largely with one's coping with the idea of another's passing...

Last edited by Hiraku (08-23-2011 06:25:51 AM)

#187 | Back to Top08-23-2011 01:18:33 PM

artemis88
Mikage Mistruster

Ringo has grown on me a lot since she defied the possessed Himari (pulling herself up from the chute like that.) And her backstory is so sad. I have this feeling that Shoma will want to save Ringo, and Kanba will continue to serve the entity possessing Himari. I can imagine them being pit against each other. But I'm probably way off.

And innocent Himari, if she knew what was keeping her alive, would probably at this point rather have died than been possessed by something so evil. This show is already starting to pull at my heartstrings @-@

#188 | Back to Top08-23-2011 02:06:56 PM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
Website

Hum, after re-watching the first 6 episodes, I have come up with a strange theory that maybe Momoka's spirit is the one possessing Himari. I think that maybe she wants to save her sister from living out destiny from her diary. I don't know, it's possible.

Also, is Masako receiving orders from this entity as well, since at the end of episode 6 we she her talking on the phone with someone with a penguin on her lap. I wonder how many other people are looking for this penguin drum?

#189 | Back to Top08-23-2011 06:23:22 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

^ I love that theory.

#190 | Back to Top08-23-2011 06:49:10 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Speaking of Momoka, we never actually see any photo of her in the Oginome household. It is only Ringo and her parents.

[More spoilers below for those who have not watched episode 6]

Is it possible that Momoka was dead before Ringo's birth? From what I am getting at so far, it seems like the only way Ringo could have gotten to know about her sister is through the diary. It felt like she never really know what kind of person her sister is on a more personal level. She's only mimicking Momoka through the course of actions that happened each day, but there isn't yet a hint as to her emulating her sister's demeanor in order to be like Momoka.

I want to say that Momoka's death may have something to do with the train incident during the 90's, but that might be a bit of a stretch. Another possibility might have been that Momoka might have been drowned, hence the "ocean" scenario. (Wouldn't put it past Ikuhara to throw in a drowning incident, either)

[/end theory]

Another note about the opening sequence, at one point, they actually showed a bunch of penguin heads surrounding the number "95". I am starting to think that the sarin gas attack on March 20, 1995 indeed does have something to do with the show.

Last edited by Hiraku (08-23-2011 06:53:58 PM)

#191 | Back to Top08-23-2011 09:32:18 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Giovanna wrote:

Speaking of which, SA's Penguindrum thread brings up a good point. While everyone's trying to pick Utena references in this new world, we're missing the completely logical concept of scouring SKU for penguins. For example, could it be Akio had an invisible penguin of his own? It would explain certain death-defying stunts of his...

http://ohtori.nu/penguin/PenguinJump.jpg

I wonder what the other two were up to.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2rzys84.jpg

#192 | Back to Top08-23-2011 09:34:08 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

OITL wins the Internet. emot-rofl

#193 | Back to Top08-23-2011 10:24:50 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

....:sheds a tear:

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#194 | Back to Top08-24-2011 02:33:09 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Well that's disturbing... and hilarious.

#195 | Back to Top08-24-2011 05:37:24 AM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

Gio, I'm intrigued by your penguin theory and wish to subscribe to your newsletter (seriously, does Akio have an AI equipped car that drives itself or something?)

I've been slowly warming to Ringo over the past few episodes and this week just cemented her as my favorite character.  She's got such a tragic, messed up backstory and it makes me emot-frown to think that so many of her issues stemmed from horrible things beyond her control.  I think it's interesting how Ringo seems to use the idea of fate as a coping mechanism rather than rail against it as the brothers do; even when her parents split up she's not discouraged and continues with her plan.  At this point though, I'm not sure whether she'll end up redeemed or go off the deep end completely but either should be a trip and a half to see.

Speaking of trippy, that scene on the department store roof...what the hell was up with the animation?  It seriously creeped me out emot-gonk  I can't even imagine how much crazier it's going to get by the end, but for the next few months this show will be the highlight of my Fridays.

(BTW, my only plot theory at this point is that Masako borrowed that snazzy red shirt from Akio)

Last edited by ArsenicForBreakfast (08-24-2011 05:38:14 AM)

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#196 | Back to Top08-24-2011 05:48:16 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Hm.  In order for the Penguin Driver theory to work, it may require more than four penguins.  Don't forget, there are many Akio Cars who can *all* drive themselves.  However, I've every faith that eventually an army of penguins will be shown on screen so I think we can safely assume this to be the case.

So what's Akio's relationship with Pincorp? (Or whatever the Penguin Corporation's actual name is?)

~ diru

#197 | Back to Top08-24-2011 07:52:19 AM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

dirufacade wrote:

Hm.  In order for the Penguin Driver theory to work, it may require more than four penguins.  Don't forget, there are many Akio Cars who can *all* drive themselves.  However, I've every faith that eventually an army of penguins will be shown on screen so I think we can safely assume this to be the case.

So what's Akio's relationship with Pincorp? (Or whatever the Penguin Corporation's actual name is?)

I'd assume he's either running it or manipulating its higher-ups via nefarious methods.  I imagine that Akio did indeed create an army of penguins in his free time (he got the idea from Anthy's creation of Chu-Chu)  His own penguin, #666 of course, wears a tie and earring.  It may also have a mullet.

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#198 | Back to Top08-24-2011 09:58:57 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

ArsenicForBreakfast wrote:

I'd assume he's either running it or manipulating its higher-ups via nefarious methods.  I imagine that Akio did indeed create an army of penguins in his free time (he got the idea from Anthy's creation of Chu-Chu)

Seems more likely that Chu Chu is the result of his and Anthy's first, failed experiment at creating a penguin, doesn't it?  They got the color scheme and comic relief quotient about right, but they messed up the anatomy!

Gio and I were rapping about the penguins last night, working mostly from memory.  It occurred to us that Kanba's penguin is mostly a perv, like his owner, and Himari's penguin is mostly quiet and domestic, like her owner.  But Shoma's penguin is a little scary!  He's a glutton and he wields a bottomless bottle of insecticide that it sprays with deadly precision.  We also could not help noticing that insecticide works on the same biochemical principle as sarin gas.  It made us wonder if there's something to Shoma's character that he's studiously hiding from us!

#199 | Back to Top08-24-2011 02:32:46 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

The first chapter of the novel has Shoma calling himself a glutton.

Himari hmm’d and laughed before heading off to another corner. I guess this proves that I’m no house husband, just a glutton.

So, hmm.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#200 | Back to Top08-25-2011 05:56:41 PM

Seen
Mikage Mistruster

For those who can't wait to find out what happens next week, read this (from the novel): http://privatepaste.com/424ab1c4d0

Also, Ringo was born on the day of the Sarin Gas Attack (May 20th, 1995.) If Momoka was killed in them, it would make sense that she would have never known her. I got this info off of /a/, but it didn't seem to be a troll post.

OH GOD WHAT WAS WITH THE FROG THING THIS WEEK DAMMIT IKUHARA I DIDN'T WANT TO SEE THIS.

Last edited by Seen (08-25-2011 05:58:53 PM)

Board footer