This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top07-24-2011 06:25:49 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Post your evilest political opinions here

Minimum wage set at 10.00 at least, for professions who work for tips as well, with measures put in place to help inhibit inflation.  No sending people to prison for unpaid traffic tickets.

#27 | Back to Top07-25-2011 09:19:39 AM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Yeah one flat minimum wage for all workers would be a good idea.

#28 | Back to Top07-25-2011 03:46:04 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I'm sure everyone remembers this, but I voted McCain.

#29 | Back to Top07-25-2011 11:57:38 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I agree with OnlyInThisLight about paying people decent wages. I also think that we should end the war on drugs as it is a huge waste of time and money and does not stop people from using drugs. Not to mention, the sentencing for drug offenses is highly racist. About 70 percent of the people who use illegal drugs are white but 78 percent of the people in jail on drug charges are black or Hispanic. Not to mention, a person accused of dealing drugs can be thrown in jail with no evidence other than the word of a high-level drug dealer (keep in mind that these people get more time knocked off of their sentences for the more people they "turn in")  And of course, the odds of ending up in jail for actually using/dealing drugs or being falsely convicted depend a lot on how much money you have and what race you are.

Furthermore, it's better to send someone with a drug problem to rehab then it is to put them in jail since person in question has a better chance of becoming a functioning member of society again. Plus, if drugs were legalized, we could put taxes on them that are like the taxes for alcohol and tobacco. This would cut spending and raise revenue, which would be put to better use rounding up real hard-core criminals, like murderers and rapists.

P.S. Since it sounds like this thread is supposed to have some wank, everybody worship me! school-devil Just kidding.

#30 | Back to Top07-31-2011 06:41:55 AM

pandany
New Student
Website

- Stop wasting time and just gut Nuon Chea, Leng Sary, Khieu Samphan and all the other fucks responsible for the Khmer Rouge. And make it as painful as possible. These people shouldn't just be killed, they should be tortured, enslaved and mutilated for the millions of people they made endure the same, not to mention the 5th of the country they subsequently killed as a result.

The crimes they're being tried for happened over 40 years ago. They'll do anything to delay any real action against them and are probably hoping to die before punishment can be dished out. (Or have a less severe punishment because of their old age).

The generations they had a direct impact on are now grandparents and the people named above need to die, and soon, so the people they fucked can have retribution.

- Strip Hun Sen of any political power and get someone who wasn't a member of the Khmer Rouge to take his place. :| I thought that'd be obvious but evidently not.

- PUNISH Hun Sen for trying to sell out his country to personally profit from Cambodia's oil resources. What would happen in America if say, the Vice President tried to do that? Cambodia obviously needs money, that oil should be used for the people of the country, not Hun Sen's traitor ass.

While we're at it lets remove landmines from Cambodia. Not that that's evil or anything, just mentioning it because it's related to the situation above.

Also, if it's possible, the U.S. should step in to help out. Remove landmines, and as a thank you perhaps have a bit of share in the oil (that's American for "money," right?). America benefits, Cambodia benefits and they all lived happily ever after! The end!

And America, don't have a repeat of the playdate from the 70's where you went to Cambodia's house to play, helped throw mud on the walls and then left to go home for dinner while Cambodia had to try to clean up the mess.

#31 | Back to Top07-31-2011 08:53:45 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

If you can't pay >$10 an hour, you shouldn't be in business.

#32 | Back to Top08-01-2011 01:18:37 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@pandany

I agree with you. I actually had to look up what Khmer Rouge was since we didn't really learn about it in school. It was only briefly mentioned and not even referred to by name. But yeah, if people responsible for that are still around then they definitely need to be punished for it.

#33 | Back to Top08-09-2011 08:39:12 AM

pandany
New Student
Website

CausalityStar wrote:

@pandany

I agree with you. I actually had to look up what Khmer Rouge was since we didn't really learn about it in school. It was only briefly mentioned and not even referred to by name. But yeah, if people responsible for that are still around then they definitely need to be punished for it.

Yeah, that's always bugged me. That it's barely touched upon in schools, that is. While I understand it's especially significant to me (my mother came to the states as a refugee fleeing the Khmer Rouge), I think more attention should be given to it, most likely when learning about the Vietnam War.

The Khmer Rouge in particular is significant because it happened fairly recently, the people of Cambodia are still recovering (Cambodia is still covered in landmines) and it is the largest genocide in terms of percentage of peoples lost from a specific country. (While the Holocaust has way more causalities they were spread over multiple countries, whereas the Khmer Rouge only occurred in Cambodia). An entire fifth of the population perished because of the Khmer Rouge.

The impact of genocide on a particular country can be analyzed, as you wouldn't have to factor in multiple governments/lands and cultures. A lot of cultural history has been lost in the Khmer Rouge since the whole point of the genocide was to rid people of knowledge and culture.

There was actually a girl in my French class that asked "What's Cambodia?" when we learned how the French word for the country (Cambodia was once a French colony).

Last edited by pandany (08-09-2011 08:43:34 AM)

#34 | Back to Top08-10-2011 12:56:34 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

pandany wrote:

CausalityStar wrote:

@pandany

Yeah, that's always bugged me. That it's barely touched upon in schools, that is. While I understand it's especially significant to me (my mother came to the states as a refugee fleeing the Khmer Rouge), I think more attention should be given to it, most likely when learning about the Vietnam War.

The Khmer Rouge in particular is significant because it happened fairly recently, the people of Cambodia are still recovering (Cambodia is still covered in landmines) and it is the largest genocide in terms of percentage of peoples lost from a specific country. (While the Holocaust has way more causalities they were spread over multiple countries, whereas the Khmer Rouge only occurred in Cambodia). An entire fifth of the population perished because of the Khmer Rouge.

The impact of genocide on a particular country can be analyzed, as you wouldn't have to factor in multiple governments/lands and cultures. A lot of cultural history has been lost in the Khmer Rouge since the whole point of the genocide was to rid people of knowledge and culture.

There was actually a girl in my French class that asked "What's Cambodia?" when we learned how the French word for the country (Cambodia was once a French colony).

Yes, I agree that things like that should be discussed in more detail. I think your post just covered Khmer Rouge in more detail than my high school textbook did. I didn't know that Cambodia still has landmines everywhere from that or that one fifth of the people in Cambodia died because of that. You'd think that they'd mention it more in high school, but I shouldn't be too surprised considering that in Texas they don't want to discuss the Atlantic Slave trade (it's the Atlantic Triangle Trade now) because it might hurt the feelings of upper-class white people.

We barely even discussed the Vietnam War in school too. I think it's because it screws up the narrative that the United States is somehow a beacon of hope for democracy that the school textbooks like so much. After all Vietnam was a European colony, like we were (except it was French, not British). And, the Vietnamese people wanted to have their own government, just like we did. So, the whole Vietnam War reflects badly on America to say the least since we sided with French colonists. Not to mention, the fact that we napalmed so much of the country. Our high school textbook never mentions this, but my Dad told me that some people in the military were seriously considering using nukes during that war, which you'd think would be an important thing to bring up.

My Dad was lucky that he had a good history teacher in high school who spent about two weeks discussing the history of Vietnam, which made my Dad realize that the whole situation was a mess that America should not be in. My Dad was lucky to go to college long enough to avoid the draft.

#35 | Back to Top08-10-2011 03:35:19 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

KillerxXxQueen wrote:

Fuck the US Constitution. Just write a new one already. Jesus.

What's the Constitution ever done to you?  emot-frown

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#36 | Back to Top08-10-2011 10:26:47 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

Fix Social Security by subsidizing cigarettes.

I'm only mostly joking.

#37 | Back to Top08-10-2011 02:25:32 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Fix social security by making it mandatory to pull the plug on elderly people who, even if they came out alive, wouldn't be able to be conscious or take care of themselves at all. If I was 70+ and hooked to machines and not able to do anything, I'd want to go already.

#38 | Back to Top08-10-2011 07:45:35 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Think you confused Social Security with Medicaid/Medicare. What you propose is an interesting idea. I'd apply it to the VA as well.

#39 | Back to Top08-13-2011 12:13:40 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

We should give out heroin for free so that dumbasses can OD and die unceremoniously.

Also, anyone who identifies too strongly with a group is probably a worthless human being.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (08-13-2011 03:12:11 AM)

#40 | Back to Top08-13-2011 03:21:49 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Wouldn't work, Magus.  Switzerland tried that.  It ended up leading to the percentage of addicts involved in crime dropping from more than 66 percent to 3 percent and cut the number of deaths in half.  emot-tongue

Source:  http://www.ndsn.org/august97/swiss.html , but you can google it, too.  Sweden's harm reduction / heroin distribution program is widely lauded as improving the quality of life for users and non-users alike.

~ diru

#41 | Back to Top08-13-2011 07:12:42 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I want to be able to shoot people who are discourteous. Not in the head or anything, but you know, a flesh wound. Side of the arm or leg or something.

May not be a political consideration, per se, but I feel that if courteous, ethical behavior is rewarded -by not getting shot- then the rest of the world would improve.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#42 | Back to Top08-13-2011 08:57:05 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

MissMocha wrote:

I want to be able to shoot people who are discourteous. Not in the head or anything, but you know, a flesh wound. Side of the arm or leg or something.

May not be a political consideration, per se, but I feel that if courteous, ethical behavior is rewarded -by not getting shot- then the rest of the world would improve.

I would never go out in public.  emot-gonk

#43 | Back to Top08-14-2011 11:05:05 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

dirufacade wrote:

Wouldn't work, Magus.  Switzerland tried that.  It ended up leading to the percentage of addicts involved in crime dropping from more than 66 percent to 3 percent and cut the number of deaths in half.  emot-tongue

Source:  http://www.ndsn.org/august97/swiss.html , but you can google it, too.  Sweden's harm reduction / heroin distribution program is widely lauded as improving the quality of life for users and non-users alike.

What if they handed the H out indiscriminately instead of paying doctors to administer it?

Also, meth.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (08-14-2011 11:07:21 AM)

#44 | Back to Top08-14-2011 08:35:07 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

satyreyes wrote:

MissMocha wrote:

Maybe just for people who work with customers.  Be nice to the minimum wage workers, world, or face the consequences.  school-devil

#45 | Back to Top08-14-2011 08:42:47 PM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Remember shooting uncut heroin in increasing quantities is unlikely to be inherently fatal either.  It's the "crap" they cut it with that does a lot of the long-term damage to the veins.  Similarly, most opiate overdoses are either deliberate or the result of people being unable to guage their dosages because of uncertain quality.  If heroin were free on a street corner, very few people who aren't already junkies are going to sign up for a hot shot.

( <-- spent quite a bit of time researching harm reduction.)

Handing out meth, on the other hand, is a good way to fill the streets with knife-wielding maniacs.  That's a bad trip, man.  An opiate junkie might do depraved things for his next fix, but a iced-out fiend will do terrible shit just to pass the time.

The ugly truth: Not only can you *not* breed out stupid, it's basically documented that child-birth decreases as wealth increases.  It's very likely an evolutionary holdover (animals with high mortality rates breed more to compensate for the assumed deaths), but in modern society with its safety nets, you end up with the Idiocracy-effect.

Truth be told, though, I used to write off people as "stupid" all the time.  When I did construction work for a years, however, I had to come to the realization that a lot of the people I had written off were naturally and significantly more adept than me with tools and finding creative solutions for problems we encountered on site.  Since then, I've been much more careful to not buy into the "stupid people must die" paradigm, since intelligence is subjective on a field-by-field basis.  It's one of those things I hear a lot in nerd culture that disturbs me significantly.

Here would be my horribly unothordox mechanism for improving the overall intelligence of society:  Blanket refusal to allow high school graduation for any level of failure.  Fail sophomore geometry?  Have another sophomore year.  You're 23?  Not my problem.

Last edited by dirufacade (08-14-2011 08:50:21 PM)

~ diru

#46 | Back to Top08-15-2011 04:17:06 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

MissMocha wrote:

Maybe just for people who work with customers.  Be nice to the minimum wage workers, world, or face the consequences.  school-devil

EX-ACTLY. Besides satyr, I doubt you're likely to call some random CSR a "fucking bitch" or loose your temper and throw shit at someone.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#47 | Back to Top08-20-2011 07:46:04 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Everyone gets into a lottery. They get a card and a gun. They get to kill one person and get away with it. They can hold onto it as long as they want and they don't have to tell anyone-in fact, they are encouraged not to. Someone might come up in the lottery more than once, but it would be unheard of and rare. They call the police, show their card, complete a survey as to why they did it.

There is a story about this and it would be interesting to see.

Make birth control mandatory. People who want children must apply. People who disable their birth control get stiff fines and don't get to keep the kid until they can pass the application process.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#48 | Back to Top10-15-2011 09:14:23 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Hip hop culture seems designed to inspire as much hatred as humanly possible; as such, it is a dead end anthropologically. Same with hipsters.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (10-15-2011 09:25:13 PM)

#49 | Back to Top10-16-2011 08:05:22 AM

Stephen
Rose Bride

Anthiena wrote:

People who disable their birth control get stiff fines and don't get to keep the kid until they can pass the application process.

Oh your choice of words, it made my day.

#50 | Back to Top10-31-2011 11:11:19 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Rude customers should be made to work at least a week in retail.

Board footer